New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Warty Goblin Makes Crap

I like to make things. Maybe other people are interested in those things, so here's a thread about that.

More specifically, I make things out of wood and/or metal, occasionally with some stone pieces as well. Since I live in a dinky studio apartment, this places certain limits on what I can execute, since I don't have lots of space for tools, though I do have a 10 inch bandsaw squeezed into one of my closets, which lets me get much more creative in the woodwork department.

This weekend I spent experimenting with raising things in copper and brass, which went better than expected. After a practice piece yesterday, I produced this seashell necklace. I left it rough from the hammer because I liked the antiqued look, and because it saved about three hours of filing and sanding.

Spoiler
    Show

So that's moderately acceptable. Next weekend I've got a wood carving I want to finish up.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Warty Goblin Makes Crap

Those are some really interesting patterns in the lower center. Looks cool!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warty Goblin Makes Crap

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Those are some really interesting patterns in the lower center. Looks cool!
    Thanks! The patterns are actually just hammer marks I left in the metal. I raised the shell out of a sheet of 18 gauge brass by putting it on a stake with a curved tip, then hitting the metal with a hammer just to the side of the center of the stake. Brass, being a copper alloy, work-hardens under stress quite quickly, which makes it too hard and brittle to work, so I had to anneal the piece fairly frequently. This is simply a matter of heating the metal up to red hot using a blowtorch, then quenching it in water, which relaxes and softens the metal. It also coats it in a darker residue, particularly the deeper hammer dings, which is what makes them pop out so much on this piece.

If you want a smooth and shiny surface, all the dings and dents need filed and sanded out. For a piece this big, that's at least an hour and a half of work, plus some additional time planishing out the deeper dents to make the surface smoother overall. I liked the rough look though, so I just lightly sanded the surface with some 400 grit and filed the edges smooth before treating with Renaissance Wax
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.