New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Glitterbaby's RHoD IC

Spoiler: Helvan
    Show
    The next logical step in your quest to do Good leads you to Dennovar. Moving about the city asking for leads yields little and you get the idea that asking a little further up the chain of command might be a decent idea. Knowing the area you make your way to the office of High Councillor Thorn. An elderly woman that reminds you of a Cuthbert nun informs you that it'll be a few days before an opening makes it's way into the High Councillor's schedule but to leave your name and where you're staying so they might be able to contact you. After only a few hours a knock at the door reveals a messenger.

"Mr. Broadmane? Mr. Thorn wants ta see ye, dun know what it's fer."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I hope you'll forgive me for taking a few liberties. I'd rather have everyone in the same place and lose out on a little RP than to run the risk of potentially not having the party together at all.

Spoiler: Gabi
    Show
    During your time in the Blades you impressed many with your combat abilities and humble nature. Expanded title and pay raises were quick to be passed on to you but you gained a disproportionately small amount of command power as you rose through the ranks. When Councilor Thorn asked your superiors for loyal and capable people to set out on something of an open-ended mission, your name was among the first to be mentioned. You find yourself now being told you have an appointment with the High Councilor today at four, and to arrive a bit early.
    Show

I hope you'll forgive me for taking a few liberties. I'd rather have everyone in the same place and lose out on a little RP than to run the risk of potentially not having the party together at all.

Spoiler: Gallant
    Show
    Upon arriving in Elsir Vale you question a few locals and decide to make a beeline for Dennovar. Being the largest city in the Vale and a trading hub, you get the idea that if there's adventuring to be had, you'll find the best leads in Dennovar. Instead of wasting your time asking the locals, you decide to jump straight to the top of the chain of command. A few questions at the guards upon entering the city leads you to the office of High Councilor Thorn, the leader of the Merchant's Guild and de facto ruler of Dennovar. An elderly woman that reminds you of a Cuthbert nun informs you that it'll be a few days before an opening makes it's way into the High Councillor's schedule but to leave your name and where you're staying so they might be able to contact you. After only a few hours a knock at the door reveals a messenger.

"Mr. Valorn? Mr. Thorn wants ta see ye, dun know what it's fer."
    Show

Spoiler: Varonis
    Show
    Upon arriving in the Vale you ask around with the locals to get a feel for the area and the local mannerisms. In doing so you learn that the city of Dennovar is the largest city in the Vale and a center for trade. These two things mean it's probably the most likely place to find a little bit of inspiration, be it in the form of adventure, fine drink, or finer companions. You decide to make a beeline for the city. Upon arriving you spend some time among both the commonfolk and the nobles, blending into both crowds with relative ease. Unlike with most places, where legitimate gaps in access to education separate the classes, it seems as though in the Vale all that matters in determining social status is money. Few people here are actually educated, even among the nobles. In asking around you eventually befriend a noble that is willing to call in a favor to get you an appointment with High Councilor Thorn, apparently he was looking for a few people to head out west to investigate the recent disappearances in Drellin's Ferry.
    Show

When you all arrive back at the councilor's chambers, you find yourself in a waiting room with three other people. The group is then ushered through a series of doors and hallways. Everything is finely crafted, paintings and tapestries adorn the walls. It's apparent that more wealth is present here than many of you have seen before. You finally arrive at a close door, the stern woman leaves and you enter. At a desk, papers piled to the ceiling, sits a middle-aged man. Some of you recognize him as High Councilor Nindel Thorn, the rest of you find this out from the plaque on the desk. His hair is prematurely graying and receding, he has bags under his eyes. The man doesn't seem to have slept well in weeks. He's sipping a yellow-orange juice from a mug. He looks up when you enter, a bit startled. He looks the lot of you over as you come in and, with a relieved smirk, addresses you.

"So you're my four o'clock?"

Spoiler: Paladins
    Show

He doesn't ping of Evil.

OOC
    Last edited by glitterbaby; 2016-05-02 at 11:28 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Glitterbaby's RHoD IC

Varonis

Varonis strolls into the room, eyeing the councilor and making a quick assessment. Stressed... in a position of power... maybe a little cocky. Mild deference, then, and a hint of obsequiousness. Don't want this one to turn against me. He steps forward and offers a short but polite bow. "Varonis Sindragon, at your service. I've heard you're the man who knows how to get things done around this town... you've built quite the reputation with your work here. Now, before we begin, I just want to offer my apologies for that incident in the market two weeks ago. She never said anything about having a husband, at least not to me, and before this one I've never heard of a town with a 'statute against public wantonness', so maybe we could just let this one slide and in the future I'll be sure to..."

The High Councilor looks back as Varonis trails off, a blank expression on his face.

Varonis shakes his head a bit and offers a broad smile. "You know what, I can tell you didn't bring us here to talk about that. Something about Drellin's Ferry, was it?" He decides to stop speaking while he's ahead, and busies himself studying the other three people in the room, clearly adventurers all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    ... See, that's classy. Super classy. You're not just taking Body of the Sun and turning it into a source of walking destruction; you're taking Body of the Sun and an unwitting pawn and combining them into a source of walking destruction and comedy. That's evil genius, right there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Helvan Broadmane

Helvan is tall, broad, and scantily clad. A less self-righteous man might feel some shame dressed in rags in these resplendent surroundings, but Helvan hardly notices. His bare arms and legs are tan, scarred, and well-muscled. His bare feet are calloused. His long, unkempt hair and beard are in need of a wash. Truly, aside from the fine sword hanging from his hip, he could easily be mistaken for a beggar. But he carries himself with nothing but pride and confidence. He looks Thorn in the eye as he enters and nods sharply at the question, then eyes this "Sindragon" with a mixture of mild distaste and amusement as he speaks.

"I'm happy to help however I can. Is something the matter with this ferry?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Gabi

The slight build woman entered the office and dipped her head slightly upon recognition of the man before her. "Sir, Gabriela Snowthistle reporting for special assignment as requested."

She glanced to either side of her as others made their way into the office. They didn't seem to have the bearing of Blades, nor the designations and patches to confirm it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallant

Gallant is a handsome human in his mid-twenties, with hair to his shoulders. He is looking somewhat awkward despite his dashing features, clad in full plate, with his helmet carried under his left arm. On his back, he has slung a spiked shield, and at his left side hangs a well-made sword. When entering, he strides inside with confidence, bows deeply to the councilor and sending the other three brief acknowledging nods.

"I am Gallant Valorn, knight of Pelor, at your service, Master Thorn," he says with clear pride in his voice. "I was sent a message saying that you wished to see me...?" He trails off, then shrugs slightly. "Excuse me. Was I misinformed?" He glances at the others, raising an eyebrow questioningly.

6. - Top - End - #6

Planetar

Unable to get a word in edgewise as Varonis goes on, Thorn seems annoyed at first until a look of resigned acceptance makes it's way across his face. He let's everyone continue making their introductions. As soon as Varonis mentions the name of the town, Thorn interjects, "what? How did you kn..." before trailing back off.

After the introductions are finished, Thorn addresses Gabi first with a smile. "Ahh so you're Ms. Snowthistle, the crackshot my soldiers are raving about. Can you really peg a goblin from a thousand feet out? That has to be just a story the men tell around the fires, right?"

"But no, Mr. Valorn, you are not misinformed. I just didn't know any of you knew what I was calling you in about. I suppose either Mr. Sindragon here has a way of loosening tongues or I should be more careful with which friends I confide my classified affairs." With that, he turns his gaze back towards Varonis, "or perhaps it's a bit of both, huh son?" The accompanying chuckle is dry and seemingly uncomfortable coming from his mouth. You get the idea that this man either has no sense of humor whatsoever or rarely gets out of the office. Probably the latter.

"Down to business though. As you may or may not be aware, there have been some unofficial reports of disappearances out west towards Drellin's Ferry. We knew that raids were increasing in the mountains and caravans are just refusing to through them due to the safety hazard but it wasn't all that bad as they could just go around. Lately though, caravans are either not arriving at all or are coming in behind schedule complaining of poor roads. As you can probably put together, delayed caravans is bad for our profit margins.
    I've been meaning to send out a group to investigate but until today the only decent candidate has been Ms. Snowthistle here. As luck would have it, my secretary informed me that a shining knight and a well-muscled vagabond both wanted to make an appointment with me today about work. Would the lot of you be interested in investigating this for me then? Of course I'd offer a reward for any information you may find as well as a bonus for this situation to be resolved without my having to send out any of my companies."

"As for you, Mr. Sindragon, I honestly have no idea how you came across this appointment but I don't have any doubts a mutual friend set something up. I'd extend to you the same offer but I'd need your assurances that you'll be able to keep up with the rest. Judging from the sword in you sheath I'm sure you're at least familiar with a blade but I'm not going to get in the habit of sending unequipped individuals to their deaths lest that blasted Shining Servant, Goldenbrow chews off my ear again."

Spoiler: Paladins or anyone with a rank in Knowledge (Religion) or (Local)
    Show
    "That blasted Shining Servant, Goldenbrow" obviously refers to the Shining Servant (a title for a high cleric of Pelor) Tredora Goldenbrow of Brindol. She's the highest ranking cleric of Pelor in the Vale and is seen by many as the premier moral authority.
    Last edited by glitterbaby; 2016-05-02 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo
    Current PbP's:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Helvan

Helvan raises his eyebrows and glances at Gallant at the mention of hid deity, but holds off on branching into another discussion in front of Thorn.

He nods along with Thorn's offer, but squints in irritation at his impolite reference to the Shining Servant. "If there are people going missing out west, I'd be happy to investigate. I can't imagine it would be anything other than raiding goblins or an Owlbear family, nothing too worrisome. I'm ready to depart at once. Will you two be joining us?" He directs this last question toward Gabriela and Varonis, clearly including Gallant in the "us."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"If Councilor Thorn believes that I will be of some benefit to an expedition instead of regular patrol duties..." Gabi glanced toward Thorn to ensure that she had interpreted his desire correctly. If no dissatisfied expression could be noticed, she would offer a smile toward Helvan and a nod in agreement.

"Yes, I will. While skilled in wild craft and the bow, the stories Councilor Thorn has heard are vastly exaggerated." She seemed overly humble, almost forcibly so.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallant

Gallant frowns slightly. "Surely you do not intend any disrespect towards Her Grace," he says softly. He doesn't wait for an answer, seemingly assuming the councilor is contrite. He turns to the others. "I am ready to depart as soon as possible. Do you have mounts?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Varonis

Varonis follows along with the description of the task, his ears perking up a bit at the word "reward". His purse had been growing a little thinner lately, and Dennovar seemed to be lacking in respect for the performing arts... at least among people he hadn't managed to offend. He looks mildly offended as the High Councilor questions his abilities. "Keep up with the rest? Better to ask whether they'll be able to keep up with me! But if you've got concerns about us being underequipped, I'm certain we wouldn't turn down any assistance you'd be willing to provide... you know, to make sure that we succeed in this big favor we're doing for you. Speaking of which, what sort of reward are we talking about here? Hard to put too high a price on safe roads and free trade in a place like this one..."
    ... See, that's classy. Super classy. You're not just taking Body of the Sun and turning it into a source of walking destruction; you're taking Body of the Sun and an unwitting pawn and combining them into a source of walking destruction and comedy. That's evil genius, right there.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Helvan nods his head, seemingly in thanks, at Gabi's agreement.

"I have no mount. I have sworn off such luxuries in my service to Pelor. I can depart as soon as this one is done negotiating his payment."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Varonis looks at the man, noting the disapproval in his voice. "OUR payment, my good man, OUR payment. Even the most devout among us need money! Got to pay for food, drink, better drink, clothing..." He falters a moment, noticing again the man's lack of clothing and generally disheveled appearance. "Umm... weapon maintenance... charity for orphans with diseases... maybe some deodorant..."

Varonis looks around at the rest of the group. "Then again, should any of you decide you're not interested in partaking of the well-earned payment for our assistance, I'd be happy to hold on to your share for you... for safekeeping."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallant chuckles wryly. "Payment is all well and good, but our focus needs be on those who require aid," he argues gently. He nods in respect to Helvan. "I could not myself live on such terms," he says, "but I admire the ideal all the same."

He studies Varonis and Gabriela in turn. The ascetic was easy to see through -- a man cut of the same cloth as Gallant himself. "I look forward to getting to know you all better on the journey. Where lies this Drellin's Ferry? I am newly come to the Vale, and I fear I have no frame of reference."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Helvan smiles briefly. "Our payment, then. And I know you are mocking me, good Varonis, but know that I do truly intend to put aside my share of the payment for, as you put it, 'orphans with diseases.'

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Varonis smiles broadly. "See, that's what I'm talking about! Isn't it your gods-given duty to get as much money as possible for said orphans with said diseases? When you get right down to it, you should be thankful you have me here, fighting for those poor children's share." While Helvan can detect some mockery in Varonis's tone, he can sense it to be gentle and good-natured rather than malicious.

16. - Top - End - #16

Planetar

Thorn casts aside the admonishments of the Paladins, rather used to those of higher moral standing talking his ear off at this point.
    Shall we call it 4,000 gold to be split among the four of you, not counting the bonus? In your case, Broadmane, we could make your share a donation to the temple of Pelor here in town or with that Goldenbrow down in Brindol?"
    "In any event, Drellin's Ferry is the small town that spans the Elsir out west. The great dwarf highway that runs through our town, the Dawn Way, yeah that runs all the way out to Drellin's Ferry. There used to be a dwarf bridge over the Elsir but that's been gone for decades. Just stay on the Dawn Way, you can't miss it."
    Last edited by glitterbaby; 2016-05-03 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typo
    Current PbP's:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I accept. Thank you."

Assuming there is nothing else important to be discussed, Helvan leaves the room with a friendly nod toward Thorn.

Once the rest of the party joins him, he speaks to Gallant. "A Knight of Pelor, you said? I am a Paladin of The Shining One myself. He has long blessed my line with his inner flame. Helvan Broadmane." Helvan offers a hand to shake.

18. - Top - End - #18

Planetar

At Varonis's honeyed words, Thorn caves a bit.

"What can I do for you then? Mounts? Food? You seem well-equipped with weapons enough as is but I suppose I could offer more swords."
    Current PbP's:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallant grasps Helvan's hand with a firm, steel-clad grip. "For Pelor, then," he says with a wry grin. "Pelor has blessed me with strength and vigor. I am proud to serve the Sun Father."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Varonis nods. "4000 gold between us is a worthwhile sum, and you won't be disappointed. If you have horses to spare, it would certainly get us there faster... even if they were just a loan, we could return them when we return to the task. Beyond that... if we're expected to defend the roads from raiding parties along the path, perhaps something to help heal us of our injuries? I've been known to dabble in the magical arts myself, and the operation of a wand of cure light wounds is not beyond my skills."

He looks again at the trio he's cast his lot with. "We'll make all due haste out to Drellin's Ferry, knock some skulls around, and drive off whatever misfit gang of bandits is harrying your caravans. What could go wrong?"

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

Thorn's mouth forms something of a half-smile as he nods in agreement. He grabs a piece of blank parchment from across his desk and scribbles on it before stamping it with a seal. He hands it to Varosin.

"Very well then. Take this to either the Temple of Pelor or St. Cuthbert, they'll bill my office. Do the same at the stables. They're instructed to cross off the desired items after they give it out or request to keep the seal if they're the last stop on the list. Don't want my seal just floating around, now do we?"

The parchment is as you might have assumed, an order for a wand of Cure Light Wounds to be billed to the Office of High Councilor Thorn. The same with the horses. It doesn't specify which breed, he's left that you your discretion.

With that he ushers you out of his office.

"You'll forgive me, sirs and madame, but I have a lot of work to do. As you can probably assume, the sooner you can figure this out, the better."
    Last edited by glitterbaby; 2016-05-03 at 12:51 PM.
    Current PbP's:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Varonis accepts the paper with another half-bow. "You'll be pleased with our accomplishments, High Councilor. We'll send back a report as soon as we're able." He takes a glance at the document, then looks back to Thorn. "So do we show this to your quartermaster for payment, then? At least for enough up front to cover our expenses on the road..."

Once Thorn has made his decision about an advance, Varonis turns and leads the party out of the office, then out onto the street.

He glances at the rest of them. "I'll admit I've no talent in picking horses. Would the rest of you care to head to the stables and examine what's available while I run to the temple and pick up the wand? We've got enough light left today to get started if we hurry, and I can keep our path lit into the evening," he adds, reaching into his component pouch with a flourish and drawing forth the Angel Radiance, briefly demonstrating its ability to emit light before tucking it back safely away. "I can meet you there."
    Last edited by Gabrosin; 2016-05-03 at 01:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Planetar

With a sigh, Thorn grabs his inkpen from his desk and makes a quick addendum to the parchment. He then signs beneath it.

"There, one fourth of the payment up front. The rest when you return along with any bonus you might accrue."
    Current PbP's:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Helvan grins."For Pelor!

"I'm all for leaving right away, Varonis. Shall we all agree to meet at the west gate before the hour is up? That should give you all time to make arrangements. I'm uncomfortable carrying around a large sum of coin, but will gladly accompany whichever of you will be making the purchases.

"So, Gabriela, was it? Are you a soldier, then? You must be talented indeed if Thorn would rather you work in a small group to fight off bandits or monsters than working garrison duty. Well met!"

Helvan, true to his word, accompanies those on the errands.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I think we can probably move along to travel. We'll get our wand, three (is that right? IF so: any preferences? I'll just grab a light horse; no need for anything fancy) horses, and our money, and then set out. I can't own the horse, so it will need to belong to someone else, and then "lent" to Helvan for travel, if that's alright.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

With Thorn's addition to the parchment, Varonis's first stop is to retrieve the advance on the party funds. Seeing that the arrangements are already made for Helvan's share, he hands out 250 gp each to Gabi and Gallant.

Varonis gives another nod at Helvan's suggestion. "Perfect. We'll meet at the gates in about an hour. I need to make a quick stop to get some supplies for the road." He makes his way to a general store in one of the seedier parts of town, along with anyone who decides to follow.

Once there, Varonis gestures to anyone who came with him as he heads inside. "Go ahead and wait out here, I'll only be a few minutes." He heads inside and after a brief bout of searching and haggling, makes a handful of purchases.

Spoiler: Purchases
    Show
    If available, Varonis purchases the following items:

Antitoxin (50 gp)
    Book, empty (15 gp, as wizard's spellbook in PHB)
    Expandable Pole (5 gp)
    Ink x2 (16 gp)
    Inkpen x2 (.4 gp)
    Needle x2 (1 gp)
    Parchment x10 (2 gp)
    Piton x10 (1 gp)
    Rope Climber (15 gp)
    Sealing wax (1 gp)
    Small steel mirror (10 gp)

Assuming he's not being observed closely by the rest of the party, he makes a discreet inquiry about the availability of a set of masterwork thieves' tools, and purchases them if they are available. (OOC, it doesn't seem like anyone else can easily find a trap or open a lock, so Varonis can do a passable job of that role, though rogue-level trapfinding is still beyond him for now.)

Thieves' tools, masterwork (100 gp)

With his purchases tucked safely away in his pack, Varonis begins heading for the temple. On the way there, he voices the necessity of seeing to his personal needs, and finds a shop with a bathroom or outhouse. Once assured of his privacy, he whispers a brief spell to aid in his concentration. Then he takes two of his blank sheets of parchment and does his best to trace the High Councilor's signature onto them, using his Angel Radiance as a backlight to help the ink shine through the parchment, and the cover of his new book as a firm surface for writing, if required. He also does his best to duplicate the seal twice in the fresh sealing wax, affixing them to the blank signed parchments. He's aware they likely won't hold up under intense scrutiny here in Dennovar, but in the smaller towns, they may be able to pass as authentic in case a desperate need arises. He makes a mental note to subtly inquire about the penalties for forgery around these parts, preferably before attempting to make use of his work.

Spoiler: Forgery
    Show
    The forgery attempts should take only a few minutes, and likely gains the +4 bonus for having the autograph/seal in hand to copy rather than doing it from memory. Varonis is treated as having 2 ranks in the skill via bardic knack, and a +3 from intelligence. Varonis is also casting improvisation and using it to provide a +2 luck bonus to each check. Forgery check to be made in secret by the DM if we ever need to use these, which would only happen in a time of desperation... still, Varonis can't pass up this chance to try.

If you meant an ink stamped seal rather than a wax imprint, Varonis gets one of his two bottles of ink in the color of the seal and traces it onto the other parchment, like he does with the signature.

Carefully concealing the forged papers within his backpack, he exits the outhouse and proceeds on to the temple, picking up the wand, and then on to the stables, where he enlists the aid of any others who came with him in selecting sturdy horses. He dutifully turns over the completed document to the stablemaster.

Spoiler: Horses
    Show
    I'm assuming 4x light horse, though if our paladins want to push for warhorses for themselves, that's up to them. Varonis will attempt to convince the stablemaster that the High Councilor intended tack and saddle and some feed for the journey to be included, in case the paper is not specific on that point. Otherwise I guess we'll buy them since Varonis doesn't fancy riding the whole way bareback.

Varonis meets up with anyone else from the party who set out on their own errands, getting up on his horse, a gentle-tempered roan, and beginning the ride out to Drellin's Ferry.

Show
    Varonis is ready to depart. DM, just let me know if he wasn't able to get something on his shopping list. He'll stop at multiple stores if needed, so long as he doesn't delay the group's departure.

26. - Top - End - #26

Planetar

Spoiler: Varosin
    Show
    You are able to purchase all that you need in the marketplace or in the various shops around it. Dennovar is the trade hub of the Vale, after all. After gathering all of your things you find a small outhouse. People give you a few looks for taking your stuff in with you but you gather you'd get just as many looks for leaving it outside for people to steal. Using your light, you get to work on recreating the seal. Your first attempt yields a result. It's fairly decent, you think it could pass a normal guard. Thorn himself would probably see through it. Deciding it's not perfect you decide to try again and you're rather pleased with the results. You have produced a nigh-identical sketch of Councilor Thorn's seal.

Everything in town goes as Thorn has told you it would. With the seal, nobody questions the legitimacy of the document and the payment and the wand are both passed over quickly and with a smile. When you reach the army stables, four light warhorses
    Show
    or heavy if that's what you would've wanted
    are waiting for you, saddled and all. Gallant is invited to stable his mule here or take it with him. The four of you, who until an hour ago were complete strangers, mount up and set off. Kinda funny how adventure just seems to find us without any indication or warning.

The first hour of travel sees the party through the farmlands surrounding the city. Traffic along the road is common. Poorer groups point at the knight in armor atop an armored horse and then naked man. Rich folk spare not even a glance. A few merchant caravans pass as well. The locals working the fields and orchards tip their hats to you as you pass. The hot afternoon sun beats down on you as you ride and you begin to notice it more in the second hour as the initial high of a new adventure wears off. Settled land is replaced by rolling grasslands as it passes into the distance during the second hour; the air is hot and still as you travel on. Traffic along the highway slows down significantly passing out of the settled lands.

The sun eventually loosens it's hold on the horizon and the temperature drops to a more comfortable level. While somewhat backwards and away from civilization, the Vale does have it's advantages. A refreshingly cool evening breeze dances around your faces. To the north, the white-capped peaks of the Giantshields make themselves barely visible. Even the wildlife seems to enjoy the sun's relent. You feel.. Peaceful.

You are able to put four hours behind you before nightfall. At Varosin's suggestion the party continues on by the light of the Angel Radiance and you're able to log another four hours before you feel like you would be pushing the horses. Many of you know you won't find a safer place along the Dawn Way than between Brindol and Dennovar. Night camps are certainly possible, although not without some risk from brigand or beast.

Spoiler: Helvan and Gabi
    Show
    You're aware of the small town, Marthton, maybe three or four hours ahead. It's tough to say, distance traveled is less intuitive traveling by night.
    Current PbP's:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallant agrees to help Varonis select horses, though it turns out not to be necessary. Gallant chooses a heavy warhorse, similar to his own steed, and also agrees that he can be the one to own the horse Helvan rides. He ties the lead from his mule to the saddle of the new horse, then holds the reins of both horses as they ride out onto the road. Once Gallant is mounted on Galavant, he seems much more at ease.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Gabi did not require any items before they departed, storing her coin in her pack. She waited for the others at the stables and then saddled and directed her horse toward the road. It was an easy ride for the most part, the roads had always been well-kept.

As dark settles in, she turns in her saddle toward the others after studying where the stars lay in the sky and recalling the markers that remained on the road. "There is a town a few hours away. We can either set up camp and watches or push on until reaching the town. Your choice."

Show

Knowledge: Geography (1d20+8)[13]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Pushing on merely risks one of the horses stumbled and becoming injured. And most of us will not perform so well in defense of the travelers if we are exhausted from riding too long. I propose we camp for the night."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Varonis glances at the archer, trying to get a measure on her. "A town means an inn, and an inn means comfortable beds... and a hot meal and some cold drinks. We should press on, the horses have only been going since the late afternoon and once we get into town, we can sleep in tomorrow morning to make up for pushing ourselves today." The party gets the sense Varonis is accustomed to late morning wake-ups... or perhaps early afternoon.
    Last edited by Gabrosin; 2016-05-04 at 01:42 PM.