1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1035 - The Discussion Thread

That was officially awesome...

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

Am I missing something with people asking about them surviving the cold? They both just got established as having protection from cold items. Lien's is the ring, but I can't imagine that the ring will be off any longer than the average member of the polar bear club spends in the water.
    Fezzik avatar courtesy of the amazingly awesome Serpentine.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I have a question. They appear to be wearing plate mail. How are they floating in the water, and not sinking to the bottom like rocks? I assume they plan to swim up and climb back on top of the ice once the threat is gone, but how are they swimming at all?

Did I miss something about magic armor enabling the wearer to swim in it?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oakianus View Post
    Am I missing something with people asking about them surviving the cold? They both just got established as having protection from cold items. Lien's is the ring, but I can't imagine that the ring will be off any longer than the average member of the polar bear club spends in the water.
    I could see it being a case of "Only 1 complete minute of no protection causes cold water damage" here - with the few seconds of exposure Lien experiences each time she's lending O-Chul the ring, not being enough to do the damage.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2016-05-03 at 09:30 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think the Giant is having some fun with the art these days.

Im no art critic, always been more about the words, but gadzooks there is some fantastic art in this.

Ill admit i found O-Chuls "Always" comment just a little weird.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

6. - Top - End - #66

I't probably just snow, but the masked guy looks like he's crying in second-to-last frame.

7. - Top - End - #67

WolfInSheepsClothing

I seem to remember reading this as a theory as to what would happen next in the last thread. I thought the Giant didn't read past the first page in these things.
    Please see my Calibas forum. P.E.A.C.H
    My homebrew thought process.
    "I have this great idea for a power/splat/merit/etc/"
    "I have no idea if this is balanced, useless, or gamebreaking."
    "I'll ask the internet"
    "The thread has died."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Lean is DEAD and Elan is now an only child.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1035 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    New comic is up.
    Excellent play! Thanks yet again.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BelgarathMTH View Post
    I have a question. They appear to be wearing plate mail. How are they floating in the water, and not sinking to the bottom like rocks? I assume they plan to swim up and climb back on top of the ice once the threat is gone, but how are they swimming at all?

Did I miss something about magic armor enabling the wearer to swim in it?
    Armor is a penalty to AC equal to double the armor check penalty.

At their level that's fairly trivial if they've either buffed strength or trained swim.

I'd bet the girl from the docks with a shark as a mount has trained swim.

Also: IIRC actual real world knights could and did swim in full plate, which is heavier than what they're wearing, armor isn't nearly as heavy as most people think.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curupira View Post
    Oh boy, the fanfiction sites must be having a fit with the ring-exchanging scene and the "always" line.
    Not to mention the fact that they will be laying hands on each other pretty soon.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

So... Who gets xp from that encounter?

The rider just defeated a pair of high level paladins which should be gigantic xp unless she's already epic (even accounting for her mount)...

Unless the Paladins are considered to have "defeated" the rider by having simply evaded it. Would they get xp for having evaded the mount as well? Can *both* sides of an encounter get xp from it?
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    Check out the heads on both Roy and Durkon* in these comics.
    Indeed. I guess I passed Durkon's damage off as maybe not having blood (with his "cuts" showing up as purple for example) but it does look like it's giving more depth to the art. I like it.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Armor is a penalty to AC equal to double the armor check penalty.

At their level that's fairly trivial if they've either buffed strength or trained swim.

I'd bet the girl from the docks with a shark as a mount has trained swim.

Also: IIRC actual real world knights could and did swim in full plate, which is heavier than what they're wearing, armor isn't nearly as heavy as most people think.
    Apparently this is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post

The rider just defeated a pair of high level paladins which should be gigantic xp unless she's already epic (even accounting for her mount)...

Unless the Paladins are considered to have "defeated" the rider by having simply evaded it. Would they get xp for having evaded the mount as well? Can *both* sides of an encounter get xp from it?
    Totally metagaming here, but she had to have gotten XP from the encounter or else she would have realized they weren't defeated.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-05-03 at 10:18 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Good to see Lien be the wise one and figure out how to use her magic item successfully.

"Trust me".
    "Always".

Paladin team FTW.

And disappointed Bugbear is disappointed. If the block of ice closest to the rider's feet is the same one O-Chul was standing on, the rider is about 4/3 to 3/2 the height of O-Chul, so I'm going with Bugbear.

As a quibble because hey, it's the Internet, the shattered ice should not disappear; why would it melt? There ought to be blocks of ice lying around the hole, or the hole should be mostly covered.

Also noted in panels 6 and 7: the yrthrak has diaphanous wings.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

O'Chul and Lien make a great team.
    Thanks to Ceika for my avatar of Tobimaro.
    Ponytaur by the awesome Dirtytabs. Thanks!

My Dragons need your help. Please?

I now have a blog. Check it out!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Totally metagaming here, but she had to have gotten XP from the encounter or else she would have realized they weren't defeated.
    Being a clear antagonist and fighting NPCs at that why should they get any XPs at all? Another small way the universe screws NPC compared to PCs. No wonder Redclaok turned toa life of crime.

It can even be a problem for PCs, but one needs the DCF book for that comic apparently. Shrödinger's Ninja. You both get XP and not get XP being that the state of defeat is uncertain. Paraphrasing V.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2016-05-03 at 10:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post

I shall turn this over to Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    ...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.
    Ultimately, whose story is it? Since the comic seems to stay at this great new fishing hole, it doesn't seem like it's the yrthak rider's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Also noted in panels 6 and 7: the yrthrak has diaphanous wings.
    Translucent reptilian leathery wings have been appearing since since at least the pteradactyls (thought not on Sabine, as I recall).

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Oakianus View Post
    Lien's ring protects against cold, but O-Chul only has his cloak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raazan View Post
    I seem to remember reading this as a theory as to what would happen next in the last thread. I thought the Giant didn't read past the first page in these things.
    He doesn't. Just because someone guessed what happened doesn't mean the author read it and decided, "welp, that sounds good, let's make that happen."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soepvork View Post
    They'll be fine: it's water, not ice, so (assuming real-world physics) the temperature should be at least 0° C (32 °F? Non-SI units are not my strongest suit).
    While true, salt water has a lower freezing point, somewhere in the mid-20's, depending on exact salinity. In addition, water saps heat far faster than air. I recall some rule about being soaked by cold water also inducing hypothermia, but I'm away from book right now. Personally, I would rule water to be one temperature band lower than its actual temperature for the purposes of hypothermia, or equal to the air temperature, whichever is warmer.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Faltenin View Post
    One of the things I love about this comic is Giant's mastery of storytelling.

He doesn't paste a text box that says "hours later..." but instead shows us three views with the snowstorm slowly ending. A brilliant way of showing how much time has passed, without shoving it in your face like so many lesser artists would.
    Exactly. The snow slowly fades as the rider's hopes also fades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Actually, about -2° C since it's salt water. In real world physics, that is cold enough to kill someone very quickly. Most of the Titanic fatalities froze to death in the water, they didn't drown.

Lucky D&D doesn't follow real world physics, isn't it?
    Had O'Chul been on the Titanic he'd have swum to Newfoundland and towed several lifeboats behind him. That's what a CON of 25 gets you. If your world includes ythraks it should also include superhuman heroes.

If anyone wants a real-world thermodynamics discussion, the rate at which water transfers heat away from a warm object immersed in it is dozens of times higher than air of the same temperature. That's why you see armorers forging a sword plunge it into a barrel of water rather than a barrel of air.

Thermal Conductivity
    Air: 0.0235
    Water: 0.5551

Approximate values.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Now, THAT is how to make an exit from a fight not meant for your class.

So with the rider bailing on us, and not unmasking in the process, speculation will be all we have for the foreseeable future. I have a feeling we'll see them again, at any rate.

Also, the sheer level of trust between the two, even if it's just a platonic relationship, gave me the fuzzies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Augh, this Paladin bromance is too much! My heart!

I am wondering what circumstance penalty that water will give them. In real life, they'd be as good as dead, but real life and D&D don't always match (This fire does, like, 2d6 a round. We'll have time to grab everything). If I had to guess, I'd say that O'Chul's super-Constitution may lead to him repaying Lien's saving of his life.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tom View Post
    I wasn't sure from the previous pages, but now it's pretty clear both Lien and O-Chul have a wound that shows up as black rather than red. Pretty sure Lien's is first visible after they get hit by the first EEEEEEEE and normal red ones only show up after the ice collapses on them. I don't think I've seen these before, but it looks a pretty cool way of portraying something like non-literal damage (sanity, or perhaps eardrums). Any thoughts?
    The Giant says:
    I often use a mixture of black marks and red ones in order to break up the visuals from being a mass of red lines. The black ones might represent scuffs, dirt, burns, bruises, or any injury that isn't bloody. This time, I had them appear when Durkon energy drained, because who knows what that would look like anyway?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

So does anyone else think that the yrthak rider might be a wendigo?

Those ARE in D&D, right?

EDIT: It seems that D&D does have wendigo, but they don't have antlers (judging from a quick glance at a few online manuals, I'm not an expert in the game) but when I see a big hairy humanoid with deer antlers living in a snowy region that's generally my first guess...
    Last edited by IndigoFenix; 2016-05-03 at 11:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just had a disturbing thought: It's good the OotS is in a 3.5 edition D&D world rather than the newer 5th edition because now we have attunement necessitating a magic item be in your keeping for a full hour before it becomes useful....well, you can see where that'd go in an emergency like this.

Also, I'm not at all surprised that Lien came up with this plan without hesitation given her experience working in the ocean. I wouldn't be surprised if she's passed her ring back and forth to others before.

"Trust me."
    "Always."

Being two of the last surviving paladins from their Order these two have got to have some serious trust factors backing them up. It occurs to me that only they really understand each other. That's the sort of buddy-bonding stuff of legend.
    Last edited by Basement Cat; 2016-05-03 at 11:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Yay for Good, not Dumb paladins!

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    With the time passage marked by the snow, the rider arrives at the conclusion that they went into the water, and will not be coming back up. A reasonable assessment for the rider to make, as she(??) does not know about the water breathing ring.
    I hadn't realized that the rider probably thought they were dead. Nice catch!

Also: "Trust me." "Always." Awww...
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    Her ring is non-standard, it was established as protecting against the cold.
    I should have seen it coming as foreshadowing, because my thought at the time was "Wait, that's not a standard feature of that ring". . .then I didn't give it another thought.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Is this a cheap way to show that every magic item has a purpose. Because... a ring of water breathing would become useless after she gains the ability to cast 3rd level spells (though that is quite a high level for paladins: 12th level).
    When people told you that you were dumb, they were being nice.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Best win ever! An now we know why they were having a paladin off over who's righteous fire kept them warmer. Beautiful comic