New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: FFRKV: Now We Post Like Men! And Ladies! And Ladies Who Dress Like Men!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Fortunately, we don't seem to run into many bosses like that anymore. Or, at least, the difficulty is high enough that they can withstand more than two hits. Used to be I'd keep multiple 2-star BLM abilities around expressly for that purpose. I remember there were a few events where you had to hit one of the early bosses - like, first or second stage, non-elite - with multiple weaknesses. (I think it was Ifrit, and we had to use Ice and Water?) I basically had to bring a non-primary BLM (like a Spellblade with BLM 2) and equip them with 2-star spells just to get the damage to work without instantly winning.

I am so glad I don't have to do that anymore.
    Yeah, I was able to get two of the three in at least, and still got the Mastery. It just amused me.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: FFRKV: Now We Post Like Men! And Ladies! And Ladies Who Dress Like Men!

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Long, well-written, well-researched analysis.
    At level 80, Ramza has 168 attack, not 148, before SSB Mastery. But that's well thought out. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Today I learned: a proper tauntaliate setup is pretty dang good, even if you don't have buff stacking figured out. (TIL part 2: how buff stacking works in this game.) Between working out those kinks, a touch of honing, and a level or two along the way, the FF12 + and ++ boss rushes went down without a hitch. Thanks for the advice/encouragement, Greg & Red. The +++ unsurprisingly smeared me all over the floor, so it looks it's off to the FF8 material for me. So long Basch, we had some good times, but it's time to stop leveling characters I've never heard of and start leveling ones I dislike :P

Soon, I'll have a veritable army of characters sitting in the mid 30s to low 40s, all unable to clear endgame content! Finally, my master plan is beginning to come together.

Really that shouldn't bother me - I appear to be at about Dungeon Update 5 on both Classic and Elite so it's not like I'm running out of material - but heck if timed events don't instill a fear of missing out in me.
    Last edited by Merlin the Tuna; 2016-05-05 at 04:28 PM.
    Merlin the Tuna

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Ahh, I didn't read it carefully enough. Thanks!

It says it in your big spoiler, but Red without his unique SSB is really quite stinky.
    Don't seem to get it. Do you mean that I didn't mention it, or are you referring to someone else?

Red still has some virtues, in particular that he has the highest defense amongst the Supporters, and has an amount of HP one step higher than Ramza. His Lunatic High SB still has some worth because of Protectga + Hastega, and Howling Moon is good for when you need that extra ability, which can be a lifesaver when you have 5* (or eventually, 6*; one extra use of Meltdown, or Neo Bahamut, or Northern Cross, or Lifebane, can mean a world of difference as it can increase your damage furthermore; alternatively, a much-needed Curaga or Protectga/Shellga). His skill set-up is stinky, but not at Irvine levels - however, this might be because he's most likely the FFVII's Blue Mage representative, and all such representatives tend out to get weird skill setups (see: Quina).

Certainly, his reign might be challenged if Gordon gets his MCII, because Gordon is pretty well-balanced (for a FFII character, which tends to be weak), but Red isn't that bad. Irvine, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Slayn82 View Post
    Nice Support review T.G. Oskar. I feel your overall ratings represent well the game meta now.

Ramza is a great package, and pretty much a Munchkin character, having so much utility, and also making me think about the standards if my Team and the strength of using any other Support, any other Knight, Tidus and Joseph (who have decent SBs), and if I someday get his armor, even the White Mage.

Who can stand to him? Individually few, but team compositions is what actually matters.

His most important and defining tool is Shout. But it pidgeon holes your team in Physical Meta. Not a bad place to be right now, because bosses are beginning to rise their RES to the stratosphere.

But on mixed parties, because sometimes your team strengths go in another direction, other Supporters fare better: Wall Breaker SBs do pretty well - Faris, Fran, Irvine and Wakka have them, and it isn't very behind the damage increase from the Shout.

Also Bosses are beginning to have Dispels and Defense ignoring Attacks, making a Wall somewhat less effective, so those who have Atk/Mag debuff are getting pretty good too - Faris, Fran and Gordon.

My point is that Faris and Fran get a little better in the immediate future than people are giving Credit. Faris specially could very well be the Ramza of mixed/mage teams, if you have her WallBreaker, and Kefka or Edea's Hastega Relics, or possibly Garnet/Quistis SSBs. Because she brings good equipment selection, and also Dancer, specially the AOE RES Breakdown for increased damage.

Irvine doesn't have anything good outside support. But that's has been acceptable with his Ulysses, because Breakdowns are useful and do reasonable damage, and his Canister Shot increases damage pretty well for a good amount of time. If I had his first SB, I wouldn't have much to say in Irvine's favor. Even Wakka Status Reels is good, despite being only 10 seconds.

That leaves Fran being a much better Irvine.
    I placed Ramza's worth without Shout, any of his other SBs (Hail of Stones, despite being his less showy one, still happens to cause Dismissal, which is a lifesaver; it's just that most of the time, you're there to recharge Shout, so if you use Hail of Stones, it's at the very end when everybody is still holding SB charges and you need that extra turn to survive) or his high ATK at level 80, and it's still at the level of Gordon, if only because of his skill and equipment accessibility. He has access to the AoE Ninja abilities with a decent amount of Magic, he has access to everything save for a good ranged weapon (which is why he gets nicked in terms of Equipment in that regard; he gets a minus for wielding Instruments, when other Supporters get Bow access), he has access to some of the Bard skills (but not Bard 4*, which is when he could have had access to Enveloping Etude and Spellbreaker Etude to provide Protect and/or Shell), and he has access to the more offensive Knight skills. That kind of flexibility in terms of Supporters isn't seen except with Faris, which happens to have a very nice set-up as well. What kills Faris is that her SBs aren't as good (sure, Master of the Sea is a decent AoE Water default SB, but the damage of most default SBs isn't something to praise about, which is why she gets the half mark; Kindred Spirit suffers because of competition, and Sea Lord's Broadside edges out because of being a multihit AoE).

Speaking about Wallbreakers - the problem with Supporters with Wallbreakers resides in competition and wandering between extremes. Faris fares better in that regard (pun intended) as she has an extremely focused skillset - she has Dancer (AoE Break/downs) and Thief (self-buffs + Breakdowns) as part of her arsenal, alongside Celerity and Support. Her SBs are Breakdown-level debuffs that also deal damage. Here's where competition kicks in - with her Kindred Spirit SB, she makes Armor Breakdown, Mental Breakdown, Stumble Step and Box Step Sarabande pretty pointless on her own, and with Sea Lord's Broadside, she makes the rest somewhat irrelevant (as Power Breakdown, Exhausting Polka and Steal Power still offer a -50% reduction). She fares better because access to her two SBs means she has access to the skills from all the other sets that don't rely on breakdown: Tempo Flurry, Dismissal, Paralyzing Strike, Steal Time, Steal HP, Thief's Revenge and Halting Rumba. In that regard, she plays the "Time Warrior" card well beyond Tidus can, even if she lacks ranks in Combat altogether.

Fran, on the other hand, isn't as lucky. All of her SBs are single-target, cover all the necessary spots, her DEF/RES buster is just weak as it stands, and while Mist Overload redeems her in a way, Faris will get a better version soon enough. Once she gets all her SBs, she's left with only her access to Celerity, which means she gets crushed by her own competition between skills, and by her competition with a fellow Supporter (Faris). Gordon's Goddess Bell is mostly a consolation prize for having absolutely no SB, but at least he gets other skills to compensate (they're just not as amazing, though he can at least do a pretty mean Curaga if you prep him for it), and Irvine... Irvine's Canister Shot just doesn't really cut it. You get a good Gun for him, sure, but it just has no competition. Wakka works decently because his Reels attacks just because Aurochs' Reels aids him greatly providing him with something other than a Wallbreaker (and with his unique weapon choice, of course).

However: once you have those Wallbreakers, you depend on giving them SB charges, in order to keep the cycle running. If you don't have that, it would have been better to keep the Break/downs, which nullifies the benefit of having those other than redundancy. Ramza's benefit is that he doesn't have to worry about that whatsoever - all he needs to do is Shout, use Lifesiphon, and if he can, cover up with Hail of Stones or a Knight skill, or if the need arises, just pummel with Ninja magic, which has proven to be a boon in nearly ALL Nightmare dungeons. Again - utility.

Finally - note Barret, Sazh and Setzer. I placed Machinist very favorably for some reasons, particularly because they're the equivalent of Breakdowns to the Buster skills, as they have a very high chance of success, they work from range innately, and if you get to hit with the status, that means every other such hit gets a boost to damage. That makes Status attacks and Busters from Support somewhat pointless (somewhat as they still deal some damage, and they can set up the Machinist for dealing hefty damage from the get-go, hence synergy). Barret also plays the Wallbreaker game (an AoE Armor Breakdown, or a Box Step Sarabande with extra fire damage; a single target Def/Res breakdown with a chance of instant kill), but he's not as praised.

In the end, the thing with the other Supporters with SB-based Breakdowns is that they face heavy competition. They need to stand out a bit in order to shine, and other from Faris whose skillset just screams "DEBUFF!!!!", the others just pale. Sazh played the right card by focusing on buffs, and with a boost to his buffing skills, he could make one mean Supporter (having both skills accessible at once, so he could heal, provide Protect/Shell to everybody, then debuff as needed; and note that Boon is still worthwhile, whereas Caltrop Bomb offers less damage than Shout but adds damage to it, which if built correctly can compensate for the loss of damage from having Shout).

You might see the worth of multiple Supporters on the upcoming Nightmare Support dungeon - most likely everyone will field Ramza, but will doubt as to who else to take. It's fortunate that I have Faris at high levels, because despite lacking her innate SBs, she can Dance, and she can offer AoE debuffs I could use; same for Gordon, who could work as the party healer, and Fran, whose unusual access to her Mist Overdrive SSB means I have a solid hitter nonetheless. Just with those four I have a solid party to play with, and I could field Edward just for the Bard songs if I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    At level 80, Ramza has 168 attack, not 148, before SSB Mastery. But that's well thought out. Thank you.
    Um...may I point something out in a spoiler, just in case?
    Spoiler: To clarify:
    Show
    148 is Ramza's ATK at level 65, which is the main point of comparison I use, as not everybody has a second Memory Crystal. At level 65, he's already the best attacker there is, with a wide gulf between him and Red XIII, the second best.

Perhaps it was not very clear - while I only mentioned Ramza's (and Red XIII's) ATK at level 65, I did mention I would mention the lv. 80 stats. It's that, internally, I used the lv. 80 stats to award an extra (conditional) point to Ramza. And, of course, I added his SSB Mastery extra Attack, so it's constantly reading as 178 ATK to me.

By the by - you could have also mentioned that Red XIII has 149!!! ATK at level 80. Just for purposes of completion. Trust me - the Notepad I have with all points of consultation does have Ramza's ATK at level 80.

Will do some adjustments out, guys.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Fortunately, we don't seem to run into many bosses like that anymore. Or, at least, the difficulty is high enough that they can withstand more than two hits. Used to be I'd keep multiple 2-star BLM abilities around expressly for that purpose. I remember there were a few events where you had to hit one of the early bosses - like, first or second stage, non-elite - with multiple weaknesses. (I think it was Ifrit, and we had to use Ice and Water?) I basically had to bring a non-primary BLM (like a Spellblade with BLM 2) and equip them with 2-star spells just to get the damage to work without instantly winning.

I am so glad I don't have to do that anymore.
    I actually remember that, I suggested you bring along Squall as he could use low level BLM spells and he hit for crap damage with them. Ahh, memories :)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin the Tuna View Post
    Today I learned: a proper tauntaliate setup is pretty dang good, even if you don't have buff stacking figured out. (TIL part 2: how buff stacking works in this game.) Between working out those kinks, a touch of honing, and a level or two along the way, the FF12 + and ++ boss rushes went down without a hitch. Thanks for the advice/encouragement, Greg & Red. The +++ unsurprisingly smeared me all over the floor, so it looks it's off to the FF8 material for me. So long Basch, we had some good times, but it's time to stop leveling characters I've never heard of and start leveling ones I dislike :P
    Congrats! It's a nice step to get those bonus battles completed, as that's when the award quality really ramps up to the stuff from high-level dungeon elites.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin the Tuna View Post

Soon, I'll have a veritable army of characters sitting in the mid 30s to low 40s, all unable to clear endgame content! Finally, my master plan is beginning to come together.

Really that shouldn't bother me - I appear to be at about Dungeon Update 5 on both Classic and Elite so it's not like I'm running out of material - but heck if timed events don't instill a fear of missing out in me.
    If it makes you feel any better, I managed to swing the VII +++ but it looks like the FF12 one is off the table for me. I just can't bring those snowflakes down fast enough, and at 40 stam/attempt, you have to cut your losses sooner or later.

I've been taking the tactic of choosing one or two favorites out of each event and focusing on leveling those guys. If I can get one guy to 50 or close, he can be pretty handy with synergy in most fights.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

8. - Top - End - #68

Chimera

Attempt 1 at the ultimate did not go so well. I had the most success blasting Raijin down first, because when you weaken him, he's not dropping AoEs on you. Things calm down a little once you're down to 2, but both Fujin and Seifer hit like a jacked-up truck, and a little bad luck turns things against you really quickly. This is a difficult fight.

Spoiler: Attempt 2 party
    Show

Name Gear Skills SB RM
    Shadow 80 5+ Shimmering Blade, Nu-Khai Armband, Aries R3 Lifesiphon, R4 Wind Slash for Raijin-killing Shadow Fang, probably to take down Fujin Heroic Stance
    Tyro 80 5+ Dusk Lance, Power Sash, Vossler's Gauntlet R3 Blizzaga Strike, because Tyro needs more dakka, R2 Multi Break- left this out on the first attempt, and regretted it SG Dr. Mog
    Zidane 65, in for Gilgamesh Blitz Sword, 2++ Galbadian Bracers, Hyper Wrist VIII R3 Lifesiphon, R4 Blind Shell for much-needed mitigation Shift Break- expecting to need the AoE power breakdown Battleforged
    Yuna 80 5+ Lullaby Rod, Wutai Headband, New Beginnings Sphere R4 Curaga, R2 Shellga HoTF, Dragon's Roar Knight's Charge
    Ramza 72 4++ Mesmerize Blade, Grand Armor, Godo's Mask Lifesiphon, Swift Bolt for medals Tailwind, Hail, Shout Mako Might
    Tried bringing HoTE, which brought my damage output fairly high, but I'm going to try Sea Lord's broadside for the AoE breakdown this time. I think it's going to be bearable as soon as it's just Seifer, or even Raijin and Seifer, but getting to that point is quite hard.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_S View Post
    Attempt 1 at the ultimate did not go so well. I had the most success blasting Raijin down first, because when you weaken him, he's not dropping AoEs on you. Things calm down a little once you're down to 2, but both Fujin and Seifer hit like a jacked-up truck, and a little bad luck turns things against you really quickly. This is a difficult fight.
    Mine isn't going well, either. I hate multi-boss encounters, but I particularly hate ones where the mastery condition requires specific ability uses, because hones really count. I'm concerned that I might actually not have abilities that are high enough rank to handle it. We'll see. I'm making some progress, I've just hit a few unlucky spots. So it's keep on, for now, and we'll see where things go.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

So with the departure of the XIII banners, that ends my mithril spending til the WHM Nightmare (though the Desch event is going to be hard to resist).

<shameless RW plus> Also with the Ultimate, you might consider bring an Aurochs Reels RW. Raijin and Fuijin are able to be blinded, and all 3 are vulnerable to poison. Plus 4 hit AoE is never a bad thing. I just so happen to have a 318 Att Aurochs Reels - r5Lu
    Last edited by Antonok; 2016-05-05 at 08:58 PM.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

EDIT: I see U and U+ drop tonight, with a dungeon update this Saturday. Nice, nice. Currently sitting at 161 0/5.
    How did you manage that? Did I miss a dungeon or three.

12. - Top - End - #72

Chimera

Mine isn't going well, either. I hate multi-boss encounters, but I particularly hate ones where the mastery condition requires specific ability uses, because hones really count. I'm concerned that I might actually not have abilities that are high enough rank to handle it. We'll see. I'm making some progress, I've just hit a few unlucky spots. So it's keep on, for now, and we'll see where things go.
    I won on try #2, but seconding the hones part. I think Shadow finished the fight with 1 charge of wind slash left, which comes out to 6 lifesiphons + 7 wind slashes + 3 shadow fangs.

I never did the Beatrix fight, but I heard someone describe it like a slo-mo car crash. This fight feels similar, where there's just a ton of damage coming at you all at once, and you need to get it under control quickly, because you just can't outheal it.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    So with the departure of the XIII banners, that ends my mithril spending til the WHM Nightmare (though the Desch event is going to be hard to resist).

<shameless RW plus> Also with the Ultimate, you might consider bring an Aurochs Reels RW. Raijin and Fuijin are able to be blinded, and all 3 are vulnerable to poison. Plus 4 hit AoE is never a bad thing. I just so happen to have a 318 Att Aurochs Reels - r5Lu
    Thu can't be poisoned and the damage is pretty bad. Still, Blind is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    How did you manage that? Did I miss a dungeon or three.
    Gysahl greens.

Mastered the U. Took one S/L. I'll post my party in the morning. Flopped against the U+ twice.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Thu can't be poisoned and the damage is pretty bad. Still, Blind is good.
    Blind is a trap, at least in my experience. Both Fuu and Raiden instantly and freely use remedy to erase it.

Though if you already have a wall, hastega, boostga, and a cure all+ regen naturally, you might as well take it. Just don't expect it to have any effect.

Ditto with breakdown and dances, they are so resistant to them that it was a waste of time. They were actually hitting harder after full break than before.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2016-05-06 at 12:03 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Took a shot at the ultimate. Switched out Edgar for Edea and while she was having no problems hitting cap with weaknesses, the rest of my damage could of used some work. Cloud was only hitting for roughly 7k total damage a quad cut on Fuijin with her under fullbreak and armor breakdown. No way in hell I'm outracing the aoe damage they do.

Also yeah, the blind/silence/poison was a no go. They just instantly remedy it off.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?

Steam Profile

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Well, 7 hours of constant play
    300 stamina and
    17 mithril spent

And I still can't finish this Ultimate.
    I can't even kill one of them, let alone all three.

I tried physical teams, mage teams, teams with 8 layers of mitigation, and teams with 2 and everything in between.

All my teams are level 80 with 200+ synergy gear, and are nearly 500 in attack, or magic. Every one of my attacks were over 9000.

None of it works.

I can't figure out how to survive constant tornados, fire storms and specials, all before I can even make my first move.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2016-05-06 at 02:53 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    Well, 7 hours of constant play
    300 stamina and
    17 mithril spent

And I still can't finish this Ultimate.
    I can't even kill one of them, let alone all three.

I tried physical teams, mage teams, teams with 8 layers of mitigation, and teams with 2 and everything in between.

All my teams are level 80 with 200+ synergy gear, and are nearly 500 in attack, or magic. Every one of my attacks were over 9000.

None of it works.

I can't figure out how to survive constant tornados, fire storms and specials, all before I can even make my first move.
    What's your party and abilities? Also focus Fuijin first to get rid of a lot of the magic damage.

Edit: I watched someone last night use Yukikaze, which if the blind stuck, they'd use thier turn to remedy it.
    Last edited by Antonok; 2016-05-06 at 04:46 AM.

Steam Profile

18. - Top - End - #78

I'm going to need to come back at this ultimate a different way. I'm not killing them fast enough - wall is out of uses before Seifer hits weak and once he starts spamming reverse zentosuken I'm pretty much toast. I've got him down to a quarter with the other two dead but he isn't staying down.

19. - Top - End - #79

Operation : Elite Extermination is proceeding smoothly. FF4 and FF7 are done and only about a couple Elites from each of the other realms are left. The only problems I foresee are from the FF3 dungeons, since I lack decent synergy.

When I have a bit of time, I'm going to try the FF8 Ultimate. It's not my best realm, but I have pretty decent synergy gear. We'll see what happens.

20. - Top - End - #80

Here's the party I mastered the U with:

80 Rinoa, Blizzaja, Meteor, Devotion
    80 Garnet, Curaja, Protectga, Mako Might
    80 Tyro, Full Break, Armor Breakdown, Dr. Mog's Teaching
    80 Squall, Blizzaga Strike, Aerora Strike, Attunement II
    80 Cloud, Lifesiphon, Thundaga Strike, Dragoon's Determination
    RW Auroch Reels

Round 1, Rinoa did Meteor, Garnet and Tyro did their SB's, Squall did Auroch Reels, Cloud did Thundaga Strike. Blinding Fuujin and Raijin actually was useful, since Raijin "wasted" turns using Remedy.
    Round 2, Rinoa did Meteor, Garnet does Protectga, Tyro does Full Break on Fuujin, Squall does Aerora Strike on Raijin, Cloud does Thundaga Strike on Fuujin.
    And uhh, it goes on from there. I had Squall do another Auroch Reels. My goal was to kill Fuujin fast, which worked just fine. Then Raijin went down just after. After Fuujin was down, Cloud switched to Lifesiphon (I have his SSB but not BSB).
    I saved Rinoa's SSB until Sephy was alone.

If I had to make changes, I'd say swap out Tyro's Full Break for Multi Break and Armor Breakdown for Shellga. Reverse Zantetsuken wasn't doing much damage (like ~800... it still hurt, but not as bad as Fira).

U+ on the other hand, got my donkey handed to me. Went puuuuuure Reta. It went really well both times until he started spamming Ultima and Ultima Weapon. That killed me real fast. I'm thinking of trying minor changes, namely bringing more mitigation, or making major changes and going no Reta (well, probably Tauntaliate to negate some nasty physical attacks, but otherwise usual offense).

EDIT: Alright, I think I got it. My U+ party, that is. I don't think Reta's going to work.

80 Rinoa, 2 blasty spells, Devotion.
    80 Garnet, Curaja and Shellga, Mako Might.
    80 Tyro, Full Break and Armor Breakdown, Dr. Mog's Teaching.
    80 Locke, Thief's Revenge and Steal Power, Dragoon's Determination.
    80 Gilgamesh, Draw Fire and Retaliate, Fist of Dawn (or whatever it is).
    RW Fenrir Overdrive.

Hmm, now that I look at it, I don't think I have enough offense. I'll be relying on Rinoa and Locke, and to a lesser extent Tyro and Gilgamesh, to deal damage. Then, when he's low on hp, have Locke and Gilgamesh go Fenrir Overdrive and hope I can burn him down fast enough. But... I have no source of Dispel. I might want to ditch Draw Fire and Retaliate, and go for Banish Strike and Saint Cross.
    Last edited by danzibr; 2016-05-06 at 07:32 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

My regular A team wasn't putting up mitigation fast enough so I had to revert to the secondary A team for the Ultimate:

Red XIII: Magic breakdown R3, Power breakdown R3 RM: Mako Might SB: Lunatic High
    Zack: Blizzara Strike R3, Lifesiphon R4 RM: Battleforged SB: Apocalypse
    Agrias: Aerora Strike R3, Lifesiphon R4 RM: Ace Striker SB: Cleansing Strike
    Tyro: Curaja R4, Shellga R2 RM: Dr. Mog's teachings SB: Sentinel Grimoire
    Yuffie: Thief's Revenge R2, Swift bolt R2 RM: Damage increase with thrown weapons SB: Clear Tranquil
    RW: Shout

Swift bolt worked quite well here since I wasn't damaging Raijin until after Fujin was dead anyways and it did a minor bit of extra damage on Seifer. Burned Fujin fast with Zack and Agrias using Lifesiphon and SBs as they came up. On Raijin Agrias moved to aerora strike while Zack continued to lifesiphon. Zack used his SB as they came up but Agrias saved the bars. Yuffie would use her AoE heal when needed and man that insta cast heal is awesome. She also was used to refresh RWs since I was saving her Thief's Revenge for Seifer and ran her out of swift bolt uses quick. Red would use Magic break on Fujin, power breakdown on Raijin and on the alternate rounds throw a magic or power breakdown at Seifer. Due to the AoE by the time I got to Seifer he was almost at half health already and he just melted under Agrias' SBs, Zack's blizzara strike + SBs and Yuffie using Thief's Revenge (I had saved it for then).

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

On the U, I've been using a non-SB team, since I don't really have any good VIII SBs to my name. Squall with Aerora Strike and Biora Strike, Rinoa with Blizzaga and Ultros, Edea with Thundaja and Bioga, Irvine with Full Break and Power Breakdown, and Y'shtola with Curaja and Protectga. (Okay, so there's one useful SB there.) RW was Quistis' Mighty Guard, which shored up my defenses nicely.

Ultros to blind Raijin and make him waste his time. Thundaja and Biora Strike to take down Fuujin, then Aerora Strike and Bioga to take down Raijin, then Blizzaja, Biora Strike and Bioga to take down Seifer. And on my latest try, I almost won. I was down to just Seifer, nobody had died, he was down to 1/3 and he got a lucky crit off on Edea. One down, still fighting. I start carving him up, get him down to the tiniest sliver, and he proceeds to spam Zantetsuken and crush my party. Crappit.

So I'm still 0/2. Wondering whether I should try one of your strategies. I could replace Irvine with Wakka for Aurochs Reels, that's a really nice option, actually. I'm a bit reluctant to bring AoEs, though, since getting everyone to critical at the same time could go very badly, very quickly. And I suppose I could swap one of my casters out for Sephiroth with Armor Break and Lifesiphon, but that really narrows my window of damage output.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

23. - Top - End - #83

I'm a bit reluctant to bring AoEs, though, since getting everyone to critical at the same time could go very badly, very quickly.
    I brought AoE's and this was a nonissue. Rinoa began the battle spamming Meteor, and my RW was an AoE, but I also had people doing single-target attacks, so none of them were critical at the same time.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

24. - Top - End - #84

Chimera

So, Ultima Weapon:

Don't do what I did, and decide to give Tyro Diaga/Shellga. The extra 2500 damage from it will not help. Dr. Mog will tell you that the battle is about the light pillar time limit. He is wrong. If you can survive 25 of Ultima Weapon's attacks (Light Pillar unlocks after 25 actions), you're probably turtling.

Your timer here is when it uses Meteor. Before that, the damage you'll be taking is nothing if you've survived the U fight to get here. As soon as meteor happens, the gloves are off, and he starts hitting you with Mako Cannon-level spam. Burst damage (Thief's Revenge, Saint Cross, Bahamut, SSB nuke) is practically required, and dismissal + stunning SBs will buy you some time here too. According to the AI, its cast time for its big attacks is 3 seconds, so about 2x normal. Stunning it when weak buys you essentially two free turns.

Another Shadow promo: Ultima Weapon uses regen at 30% HP, so he's still got 105K HP. Thanks to Shadow Fang, he got one turn after that. Use your mythril on any Ichigeki banners you find, it is truly that good.

25. - Top - End - #85

Seifer: Squall... now that we've been through so much I wanted to bury the hatchet.
    Squall: um.. (Is he for real?)
    Seifer: Before we do though, I want to settle finally who the best sorceress's knight really is.
    Squall: ... (...)
    Zell: Whaaaaa?
    Seifer: Stay out of this chicken wuss. Its for Matron, she wants to settle who the better sorceress is.

Rinoa: I've got angel wings... that's clearly better!
    Edea: Do you know how long it takes to get my makeup looking like this? And being old enough to be your mother while still getting the hot young boys to run after me.
    Rinoa: This is about spell casting!
    Edea: Oh, I can cast all kinds of spells.

Squall: ...
    Zell: I... I think I need therapy.
    Seifer: We all do. ... We all do.
    Squall: ... whatever.
    Seifer: Excellent. You and Rinoa pick whatever team you want. Matron will empower myself and my lackies with her spells and we'll see who really is the best.

(Later)
    Rinoa: You agreed to what.
    Squall: ... (I didn't agree to anything, why is this my problem?)
    Garnet: Don't worry Rinoa, I've got your back.
    Ramza: I'd be happy to lend my aid as well.
    Rinoa: We still need one more in this team. Any ideas?
    Ramza: I don't think Ser Valentine will be of much aid.
    Garnet: Naw, Amarant won't be of any help either.
    Rinoa: Oh right, I'll go ask Cloud. Funny how you alway know the right thing to say.
    Squall: ... (whatever).
    Ramza: Do you have negative levels in Mediator or something?
    Garnet: Just let it go.

(Later still)
    Seifer: Squall! I'm coming for you.
    Rinoa: Eat lightning Fuujin! (Thundaga blood of Espers Thundaga)
    (RW) Tyro: I'll shield you like Squall shield's his feelings! (Sentinel Grimoire)
    Seifer: No! If their defenses are that strong nothing will get through!
    Raijin: Relax boss, I'll use my special (that being my rocking abs) to get through to the soft one.
    Garnet: Soft... only one monkey gets to call me soft! Alexander! (Divine Guardian)
    Ramza: Come on team, get the lead out (Tailwind)
    Cloud: Yo, Fuujin. Deal with it. (Thundara slash)
    Squall: (motions for Raijin) (Aeroa Slash)
    Cloud: You take him and we'll finish her off. Save the knight for last.
    Rinoa: We know that's what you said, Cloud was just translating for those that don't speak pregnant-pause-anese
    Cloud: Language. (Thundara slash)
    Ramza: What did I miss? (Magic Breakdown on Seifer)
    Seifer: Ow. You don't want to know kid.
    Garnet: So, we're just going to overlook Cloud saying "Language?" like that? (Thundaga blood of Espers Thundaga)
    Fuujin: I. Defeated.
    Ramza: Technically that clause requires a to be verb since its a passive construction with the single person pronoun being the object of the verb it follows.
    Raijin: Don't worry bro, I'll beat on the grammar teacher.
    Seifer: heh, Burn. (Fira)
    Rinoa: Chill with the bad puns! (Blizzaga Blood of Espers Blizzaga)
    Cloud: Heh. (Blizzara Strike)
    Squall: ... (sick) (Bio Strike)
    Raijin: I, uh... boss... you got this! (runs away)
    Seifer: Think I'm defeated? Zentosuken Reverse!
    Rinoa: ow ow ow.... (Blizzaga blood of Espers Blizzaga)
    Squall: ... (Blasting Zone)
    Cloud: ... (Blade Beam)
    Ramza: come on, we can get back in this! (Tailwind)
    Garnet: I'm not falling to another of these bosses! (Divine Guardian)
    Tyro: I'm contributing... but you guys went a whole of four rounds without my protection - FYI.
    Seifer: I'll have you know - I'm still the best Knight! (Reverse Zentosuken)!
    Squall: ... (Blasting Zone)
    Seifer: This proves nothing!

Edea: I... I lost?
    Seifer: Matron, I'm sure we'll get them next time.
    Edea: I'm so proud of all of you! You've all grown so strong.
    Seifer: But... I failed you.
    Edea: You and two friends took on Squall with four of his friends. You did wonderful, all of you.
    Seifer: I'm so confused.
    Cloud: And I thought... my world was screwed up.
    Cloud: You can say that again.
    Squall: ....
    Cloud: Heh. Good one.
    Ramza: Okay, now I'm sure they're just messing with me.
    Garnet: Come on Ramza. This is the way.

VIII Ultimate Mastered.
    RW: Wall
    Squall: Cutting Trigger, Bio Strike R3, Aeroa Strike R3 (Ace Striker)
    Rinoa: Cardinal++, Thundaga R4, Blizzaga R4 (Blood of Espers) (got 5 double casts through the fight, always hitting the same target and hitting weakness!)
    Cloud: Murasama IV+, Thundera Strike R3, Blizzara Strike R3 (Battle Forged) (Has Blade Beam)
    Ramza: Golden Axe XII, Magic Breakdown R3, Full Break R2 (Mako Might) (Has Tailwind)
    Garnet: Wizard Staff IX, Diara R4, Curaga R5 (Dr. Mogs Teaching) Has Divine Guardian.

Garnet and Ramza nearly fell several times but Tailwind was a real life-saver. Diara was only doing around 1000 damage, and usually wasn't worth the cast but I had Shell/Protect covered between Divine Guardian and Tailwind and her Magic was lower priority than her healing.
    Rinoa got 2 Thundaga double casts against Fuujin and 3 Blizzaga double casts against Seifer. Thundaga was hitting for almost 8k while Blizzaga was hitting closer to 5.5k
    Cloud was only a little better than Balthier who in my first attempt brought Blind Shell - but his damage was low enough it didn't matter. Cloud's Blade beam did a solid 6k+ when it was used compared to Blade beams ~12k. Still better than the 2-3k Tides of war was tealing for Balthier in attempt 1.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

I brought AoE's and this was a nonissue. Rinoa began the battle spamming Meteor, and my RW was an AoE, but I also had people doing single-target attacks, so none of them were critical at the same time.
    Yeah, as it happens, the AoE helped a bit. I changed things up a touch, and mastered the U with only one medal lost to actions taken. My team:
    • Squall: Aerora Strike, Biora Strike, Spellblade Master.
    • Rinoa: Quetzalcoatl, Blizzaja, Blood of the Summoner.
    • Edea: Thundaja, Bioga, Blood of Espers.
    • Wakka: Power Breakdown, Full Break, Dr. Mog's Teachings.
    • Y'shtola: Curaja, Protectga, Mako Might.
    • RW: Quistis (Mighty Guard (VIII)).

This made things a lot easier. Aurochs Reels meant that Raijin would waste two turns on Remedy, rather than annoying me. And he actually forgot to remedy himself until after Fuujin was down. Fuu was the primary focus, ignoring the fact that Quetzal healed Rai. And then, after Fuu was dead, inspiration struck, and I tried something.

I went after Seifer second, rather than Rai. And it worked. I burned him down fast, between Blizzaja, Biora Strike, and Bioga. That left only one threat, and he was one that could easily be healed through - he only had single-target physical abilities, and I had SSII, Protectga, Power Breakdown/Full Break, and Regen. Admittedly, by the time Seifer was down, I was low on abilities - by the end, Squall was down to Blade Flurry uses, and Wakka and Rinoa were using the attack command. But I finished him, he dropped, I got mastery.

Next stop, U+. Soak damage, reciprocate. We'll see how it goes.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ult is down. Took me quite a few tries last night and this morning, but when I finally found the right mix for me I dominated it. Here's the party:

Tyro (80), Protectga (R3), Shellga (R3), Dr. Mog's Teachings (Native SG)
    Rinoa (80), Thundaja (R4), Blizzaja (R4), Witch of Succession
    Cloud (80), Thundaga Strike (R3), Aerora Strike (R3), Self-Sacrifice (Fenrir, Braver)
    Vanille (80), Curaja (R5), Curaise (R3), Mako Might (Miracle Prayer)
    Squall (80), Thundara Strike (R3), Blizzaga Strike (R3), Attunement II (Blasting Zone)
    RW: Divine Guardian

Took a slightly different route this time.

Started off with Vanille hitting Divine Guardian, Tyro SG, Rinoa/Cloud/Squall all going for Fujin with their lightning skills (for the next 4 rounds until he dropped). In the meantime Vanille hit Curaja once, and Tyro started applying Protectga/Shellga. About turn 3 (or 4), Vanille hit Miracle Prayer and topped everyone off (probably could have lived without it, but really didn't want to chance an early death).

Once Fujin dropped on R4 I immediately switched to Seifer. I tried this mainly since I had 2 devoted ice skills instead where I only had Aerora strike for Raijin. At this point Cloud wasn't shining as much so I hit Fenrir and with Quad Cut was at least able to avg 5K+ per round, which thrown in with the 2 ice skills dropped him in 4 or 5 rounds. Also either at the start of Seifer or within a round or two I had Vanille hit Divine Guardian again and Tyro refreshed SG. Diving Guardian seemed to help a lot over SSII that I had in previously, and around the end of Seifer I used Miracle Prayer a second time to top myself off again. Tyro kept regular application of Protectga/Shellga up. Also through a Blasting Zone on Seifer for good measure.

Raijin went a bit slower because I only had 1 air skill, and nothing hugely useful on Rinoa or Squall. That said it also didn't take all that long. 6 Aerora Strikes alone took him down significantly, (also I was lucky with Miracle Prayer and got another 2-3 uses over time). I easily built up enough for another Blasting Zone use, and has plenty of mitigation and healing left.

Lessons Learned:
    - Diving Guardian seemed way more effective than SSII in this battle, and a much better alternative than Shout.
    - I didn't touch curaise once, but don't know what else I might have brought.
    - A full heal like Miracle Prayer really carried me through the couple low spots between mitigation strongly.
    - Loading up on damage skills to take out 1 or 2 of the three fast was game changing, especially having 3 slots to focus on Fujin.

Good luck to everyone.
    Last edited by Simkin; 2016-05-06 at 09:58 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm so close to U+. I'll try a three-pull on Banner 1 Saturday for Squall's BSB sword for some more synergy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_S View Post
    Another Shadow promo: Ultima Weapon uses regen at 30% HP, so he's still got 105K HP. Thanks to Shadow Fang, he got one turn after that. Use your mythril on any Ichigeki banners you find, it is truly that good.
    Mmmmmm gotta get me some Ichigeki.

Also, thanks for the pointers. Think I'll be bringing some Dismissal to the fight after all.

Now that I think about it, I'll probably go Shout instead of Fenrir Overdrive. Higher damage overall. Then give Locke Thief's Revenge and Dismissal rather than Thief's Revenge and Steal Power.

Mmmm, fun. I like that it's 1 stam per go, allows for experimentation.

EDIT: Wait, why would Shadow's SSB be so good? Comparing it to others, it doesn't have like a crazy high multiplier or anything. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by danzibr; 2016-05-06 at 12:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

30. - Top - End - #90

RedWizardGuy

Shadow SSB is instant cast, giving it a great DPS. You deal your damage and start charging your next action, instead of waiting for the Red Bar to fill.

I'm doing some core elite dungeons. I usually do some core dungeons, then go back and do the elites. Today I fought elite Bartholomew in XIII. I had only vague memories of him in the previous event. The description made it look to be all about elemental damage. Fine, I went with Celes and Lightning.

Dr. Mog, you liar. The Balls were irrelevant, and I ended facing the Tankiest tank who ever tanked. Without Armor Breakdown. It was hilarious and annoying at the same time. Celes killed him at 00 in the Doom counter. Vivi had to save the fight with Drainga and Ruinga, and the occasional Meteors to the face. Got only Expert. At least I got the Mythril and Stamina Refill I wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"