New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: We All Fall Down (Dark Heresy IC)

Furnished with the contents of his personal armoury stuffed into the trunk of the groundcar, and a trio of fat cigars 'borrowed' from an empty tabbaconist's shop, Clavius returned to the tower some time before the dinner was set to begin. Luck was with him, and he found that the guards at the gate were the same ones that had been there when he came through earlier. There wasn't room to fit the car through, and it likely wouldn't have been able to manage the fairly steep hill on the other side anyways, but he was able to find a good parking space and set to work on scouting the place. The tower itself was closed to him for the moment, at least beyond the entrance hall - the guards inside started giving him the side-eye whenever he went too close to any of the doors, and the few that he tried were locked anyways. Outside, however, was a different story. He had basically free reign to wander around inspecting the various temporary structures in the gardens and chat with their occupants, as long as he didn't try anything too suspicious looking. The new barracks had its own small break area, and in the same room Clavius spotted several racks filled with guns ready for issue to the new recruits. The lasguns looked like the standard Ryza-M pattern issued to PDF units throughout the sector, and the autoguns were Creed-9's. Not the best selection, but handy in a pinch and probably easier than sneaking in his own weaponry.

Escape routes were plentiful, but slightly dangerous. Most of the possible ones Clavius found involved hopping the exterior walls at one of the lower points and trying to climb down the cliff face below. The rocks were craggy, with a lot of little ledges and handholds, but also slippery and poorly lit. It also looked possible to go across the roof back towards the city. Then there was the water lock, if you didn't mind a 35 meter dive into the river. The most promising one Clavius found was the pumping station, which featured a long staircase leading down to river-level maintenance access for the pumps. The exterior door was very sturdy, and required a key from the outside, but the inside was secured by a deadbolt turn lock. You could easily use it to get out, but getting in through it would be nearly impossible - Clavius checked, and the deadbolt snapped back into place unless you held it open.

Returning topside, he found that it was nearly time to go to dinner. Osmund and Savvius had just arrived, the Doctor with a case containing an injector and three phials full of Morphia V, taken from the Magos' lab. They entered the Tower together, and were informed by the guards that they were to meet the Acting-Governor in the Grand Dining Hall on the second floor.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ok guys, last chance to make any last-minute actions before you go to dinner. If you want to bring your weapons in with you, you'll have to hide them on your person, and the guards will get an Awareness test to see if they find them, with a difficulty based on the size of the weapon in question. You can wear your armour if you like, though anything overt might be considered gauche. For the purposes of expediency I had Osmund bring the Morphia V with him, though if he chooses to ignore Clavius' request I'll edit, and you will not have the injector/sedatives.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #452
    Banned

Show

Clavius holds no illusions as regards the concealability of his deliberately oversized weaponry. He leaves it in the trunk of the car, parking it - hopefully - close to one of the available exit points.

He removes two of the cigars from their tubes, sticks one in his mouth, and the other in his pocket. Into the tubes go the vials of Morphia V (hopefully two will fit in one tube, end to end?), a hypo injector (avec Morphia V) goes into the other.

For the occasion, Clavius is in a suit and coat, sans tie, with the shirt open to reveal a solid mat of coarse hair. Apparently unarmed, and hoping even the cruellest guard wouldn't think of parting a fellow servant of the God Emperor of his smokes. Come on! =)

3. - Top - End - #453
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Savvious gladly assisted Osmund in his research, disappointed that the subject was being relinquished to the morgue before the post-mortum effects of the plague could be studied and documented, subjects at this point in the research were some of the least problematic test subjects Savvius has worked on. After relinquishing the body to the PDS unit outside and trusting that they would know what to do with it, they are trained in the creation of dead bodies after all so after-action processing must be part of their training, Savvius reviewed the Doctor's notes while the Doctor got some rest, adjusting some of the formulas and adding his own slight enhancements and fixes to the formula to increase its stability.

Savvius arrived at the dinner party still dressed in his Tech-Priest robes, although if anyone cared to notice his mechadendrites did seem more polished. He left his rifle back in the Magos' lab, but his pistol remained attached to his leg under his robes, until such a time as the guards request that he leave the gun. Not out of concern or intent to use, it just never occured to Savvius that concealed carry at a formal function was a faux pas since they were already in the govenors presence while in full armiment.
    Active Characters:
    None

Retired Characters:
    Savvius Atillious -- We All Fall Down IC || OoC

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Osmund sighs in exasperation, "I have a little spare Morphia, but I'm not going to give it to you unless you tell me what you want it for!" Some fool thing no doubt. Even so, he slips a few phials into his already fairly full first-aid kit. Before he leaves he packs up all the notes so far on the plague vaccine and hides them, just in case.
    He takes off his outer clothes, and changes them to some slightly more formal ones, and gives his environment suit a once over with some cleaning solution before redressing. On the way to dinner, once out of the lab and on the streets, he turns to Savvius, "Loathe as I am to admit it, I think Clavius may be right to be wary of the Governor, at least until we know more about the circumstances of his ascension. Likely he wants more information out of us, remember we are humble tithe inspectors, and do not yet mention how far along we are with the vaccine. Also, after tonight it may be a good idea to sweep the lab for listening devices planted whilst we were out. One way or another, we should also be prepared for the Crow to turn up either at dinner tonight, or later at the laboratory. If he wanted the Magos for his expertise, he may also target us once the word gets out." He looks around at the mostly abandoned darkening streets, "Feel free to voice any concerns you might have, before we arrive."
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Banned

Osmund - I thought you'd be all for it! I'll find a way to smuggle in my shotgun and grenades if you insist, but an injector with Morphia is a silent, concealable, non-lethal weapon. Say ... you're not simply jealous that I thought of it first, are you?

Clavius grins to himself in the darkness of the abandoned tobacconist, lighting a cigar and puffing smokerings at the ceiling.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Once all preparations had been made, and a cursory search performed by the guards to ensure that they had brought no weapons, the group proceeded to the grand dining hall. The hall was, as its name suggested, quite large. Windows looked out over the river, and the city beyond, each with its thick curtains standing only slightly open. In this room there were no guards, though the halls outside were patrolled, only uniformed attendants standing in alcoves off to the side. The room was almost filled by a huge, long table, its surface covered by a red tablecloth. Place settings had been provided for them along one of the long sides, with their backs towards the windows. The Acting Governor was already seated at the far narrow end, but rose to greet them as they entered.

"Welcome back to the Tower. I hope your activities today were productive? Sit down, and I'll call for the first course."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

7. - Top - End - #457
    Banned

Clavius, surprised and mystified that they are the only guests, quickly rallies, falling back on doing and saying something annoying to buy a few moments to get his thoughts straight.

Governor - thank you so much for inviting us to this little soiree. For a moment, Clavius looks to all the world as if he's going to haul the governor into a friendly bearhug - then at the last moment simply extends his hand like a sane human being, I swear this is going to be the first civilized meal we've had since coming here.

Before going to his seat, Clavius will go to the windows, take in the view - comment on it, so that everyone knows that that is indeed what he's doing - while he looks for boats on the river, and sword-wielding assasins scaling the cliffs. Having briefly scanned the outside, he'll go and sit.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2017-07-31 at 11:55 AM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Savvious entered the dining hall, disappointed at the lack of Servitors in such a magestic establishment like this. The realization sunk in that this evening would not be a display of his analytical talents, but instead will require a certain level of social interaction. Savvius adjusted his robes, the only nervious tick he allowed himself, and then strode deeped into the hall with all the confidence and bravado that he could muster. As operated his mechadendrite to withdraw his chair he turned to one of the attendants along the wall . "Savvius is glad to make your aquaintence. Savvius is present, priest of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Savvius was invited by the Govenor... incorrect, Acting-Governor... to attend this meal after cordial interactions earlier this day. Savvius appreciates your dedication to duty as you stand to serve the acting-governor and his guests." During this conversation Savvious meant to extend his hand as a sign of friendly interactions, but accidently extended his mechadendrite towards the attendant instead.
    Last edited by Drunedale; 2017-07-31 at 06:42 AM.
    Active Characters:
    None

Retired Characters:

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Osmund gives a small bow, "A pleasure, I'm sure. Reasonably productive, insofar as research ever is." He takes his seat, and looks around the room with interest, doing his best not to appear uneasy about having his back to the window.

Spoiler
    Show
    Are there actually any other dinner guests, or is it just us and Chavarin?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Clavius went to the windows, looking out at the river. He couldn't see anyone climbing the cliffs, or lurking on nearby rooftops, but there were a number of boats on the river. Most were the large fishing vessels, either docked or heading back out towards the ocean. Here and there was something smaller, but they all seemed to be going about their business. Savvius, meanwhile, had struck up conversation with one of the attendants. The man looked confused, and somewhat nervous to have been approached.

"Ah, you're not really meant to talk to us, sir," he said waving away the mechadendrite with all the dignity he could muster. "The invisible servant, you know. If you need anything, just say so and we'll attend to it right away."

Chavarin watched the exchange with some amusement, then clapped his hands and spoke into a small vox pickup set into the table. "Bring up the first course."

The food arrived shortly after everyone had been seated, the acting governor acknowledging Osmund's comment and making a few small pleasantries of his own. The appetizer was a seafood dish in white sauce, paired with a few green stalky vegetables that none of them recognised. It appeared to have been seared in butter. Savvius detected citrus of some sort in the sauce. Chavarin started on his, going slowly so he could talk as he ate.

"The table here has toxin detectors built into the surface," he explained to them. "I had them installed when I took office, as an extra precaution. You can never be too careful, don't you think? I hope everything is to your liking, by the way. The chef is excellent, came highly recommended after I had to replace the old one."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

11. - Top - End - #461
    Banned

Clavius digs in heartily, savoring the flavor. Not truly a man of terribly refined tastes, he none the less enjoying pretending to be.

In which manner did the previous chef disappoint, may I ask? This, by the way, is entirely excellent.

Is there wine? If so, Clavius enjoys that too. If not, he asks an attendant to rectify this.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Savvius noticably shifts when the promise of passive biochemical sensors integrated into the table. What starts as a low mumble begins to elevate into excited yammering. "...sophistication to make them unobtrusive, and maintain a local sensor field resilient to..." Reaching under his robes Savvius removes his auspex and gestures to the Acting-Governor. "Acting-Governor, may Savvius see the toxin detectors? Savvius finds the integration efforts fascinating. What priest performed the installation?" Savvius has already began operating the Auspex with his mechadendrite as the request is put forward to the Acting-Governor.
    Active Characters:
    None

Retired Characters:

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

There was indeed wine on the table, of many vintages that Clavius didn't recognise. Probably imported from elsewhere within the sector.

"It was Magos Sakharov, actually. He's responsible for many of the interesting systems about the tower. He oversaw the construction of the water lock, and much of our security. Allow me..." Chavarin reached under the table, activating an unseen control. All across the table, hidden panels sunk down and drew back, revealing the machinery within. Each detector was, it appeared to Savvius, a scaled-up version of the smaller and more common handheld units.

"They function even when the panels are closed," The Acting-Governor explained, "Though when deployed, I believe the range is somewhat increased. In any case, they are perfectly adequate even when hidden." He left them open, though, to allow Savvius an opportunity to examine the devices, and turned to answer Clavius' question.

"He was suspected of sedition, amongst other things. A shame, since the food was really quite good, but I couldn't keep someone around when I would have to watch their every move to be sure they weren't forming some sort of plot against me. I did a lot of cleaning house around here."
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2017-08-06 at 06:08 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

14. - Top - End - #464
    Banned

Clavius takes time to sample the wine and enjoy it's color and bouquet before replying:

I believe anyone in a position of power needs to be wary, and guage the loyalty of those around them. It's only prudent. So did another noble house snatch him up after? That's always interesting to follow, don't you agree?

What aroused suspicion, by the way - if I may ask? It may be pertinent to our own work here.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

Savvius continues eating in silence for the most part, feeling comfortable merely listening for now, "Did you know Magos Sakharov well, Governor? I was given to understand he was somewhat of a recluse, focusing primarily on his marine studies?"

16. - Top - End - #466
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Savvius was engrossed in the table, ignoring the conversation around him as he scanned the equipment under the panels. An opportunity to study a Magos's work should never be passed up. After a few moments though, he did remember that he was here on a mission, and shouldn't just go about enjoying himself. Discretely, Savvius adjusted his auspex, looking for weapons on anyone present and secret doors where more reinforcements may appear from. It wouldn't do to die upon equipment as refined as this.
    Active Characters:
    None

Retired Characters:

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

"Another...?" Chavarin looked briefly confused. "Oh, no. I had him executed. I thought that was clear. He'd been talking to the other staff, inciting opinion against my legal assumption of duties, and I couldn't have that. I will not run a divided house."

To Osmund, he nodded. "Yes, the Magos rarely came out of that lab of his, but he was quite brilliant. I can't say I knew him well, but I did know him. Marine studies were his primary concern, and this is a good world to do them on, but unlike most specialists he had interest in a little bit of everything."

Savvius' auspex was limited, it seemed. Something about the walls of the tower seemed to drastically reduce the range of effective scanning. He had seen weapons on the guards outside, so of course there were those. The attendants didn't seem to have any, nor did there appear to be any space for secret doors; there was a servant's entrance, and the passages for that were likely hidden within the walls, but the door itself was clearly visible.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #468
    Banned

Hm. Well, yes, it is the only way to be sure, obviously.

Note to self: Check up on proper procedure for transfer of power in the event of death of a governor.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

The meal progressed, conversation turning from one topic to the next as time went on. The acolytes did their best to direct things towards questions they wanted to hear answers for. The vanishing of Stefan Koraki? He was a suspect, but the Arbitrators had yet to locate him. He could not have left the city, with the quarantines in place. Chavarin did own a sword, it had been clearly visible hanging at his side when he stood earlier. It looked like a straight blade, short, pointed and fullered. It did not look it could have caused the injuries to the Governor.

The soup course, an excellent seafood chowder filled with bits of some sort of shellfish, was accompanied by a long discussion between Chavarin and Savvius, as the techpriest asked a seemingly endless series of questions about the various things Magos Sakharov had installed around the tower, amongst other topics. The Magos had been an exceptionally busy man, it seemed, working on a little bit of everything. The earlier assertion from the sergeant that Sakharov was a bit odd was confirmed - he painted, portraits and other things, in what spare time he had. Many of the artworks they'd seen were either his work or reproductions - but he'd also installed the toxin detectors in the table, a sophisticated Security setup throughout the building, and a series of holoprojectors to facilitate communications between different rooms. The water lock out front was his design as well, though without him around to instruct others in the proper maintenance rituals it had become difficult to maintain. Techpriests were not immune to the plague, and there were some that had not returned to work after going home at night. The subscrivener drew a blank, the assassinations a non-answer regarding his growing concerns about the situation, and the question about the plague showing signs of being engineered caused Chavarin's eyebrows to shoot up in surprise. Obviously not something he had expected Savvius to say. He said he hadn't known, asked a few questions about what that could mean and was interrupted by the arrival of the main course.

The kitchens had pulled out all the stops it seemed, providing a huge side of roast grox in brown sauce. It came with innumerable sides - local vegetables, mashed tubers, and a pile of little crunchy things filled with cheese. From there, they returned to the subject of the assassinations. With Osmund to direct the conversation, Chavarin was a little more forthcoming than he had been with Savvius. Yes, he'd had to foil a small number of plots against him. Most of the perpetrators had already been executed, the rest were being held in the nearby penitentiary. He complained at length that Governor Emilia had repeatedly taken his security concerns unseriously, and look where that had gotten her? All of the recent adjustments to security, and routine, those were all him. The overall impression that they got was that of a very rigid and seriously paranoid man.

As the grox was being finished up, the great bones piled on the platter in the process of being removed by one of the attendants, one of the Tower's guards, his epaulets marking him for a captain, entered the room and walked briskly over to the Acting Governor. Chavarin looked up at him, and they began a short and hushed conversation. The acolytes caught "problem," as well as "no check in" and "missing." The captain left hurriedly, and Chavarin frowned, his expression suddenly worried.

"Gentlemen," he said, "I may need to cut this event short. As pleasant as it has been, something has come up which requires my attention."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

20. - Top - End - #470
    Banned

Clavius pats his pockets, drags out a cigar tube. He looks mournfully at the table, and comments:

Honestly I hardly seems humane to toss out such esteemed guests as ourselves, obviously ironic, before the desert, governor. However, I understand the pressures of office. Thank you kindly for the invitation. The uh ... first two parts of the meal were a sumptuous feast. I shall forever onward relish my fantasies of what delicacies might still have been waiting, in a future never realised.

Whatever crisis calls you away, let us know if we can assist in it's resolution. We are yours to command.

He twirls the cigar tube in his hands, not opening it, but clearly looking forward to a good smoke.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Osmund stands up and gives a quick bow, "Indeed, Governor, if we can be of assistance let us know. I spent some time in a military hospital, if you or your men believe you might need of urgent medical attention in a prompt manner, I can stay to attend as needed?"

22. - Top - End - #472
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Upon hearing that they were being sent out, Savvius began gathering up any remaining food scraps and fashoning a to-go bag. "The meal was most enjoyable, thank you for your enlightening conversatoin."
    Active Characters:
    None

Retired Characters:

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, yes of course. Please follow me." Chavarin stopped by the door, issuing a command to the attendants to have the leftovers cleared off, and to alert the chef that nothing more would be required. This done, he headed out into the hall and started walking, talking to them as he went. "I certainly hope no medical attention will be required, and really this could be nothing. I've had a secure command post installed upstairs. We've got picters covering almost every part of the tower, but obviously we can't keep watch on everything at once. I just need a few things from my room first, and then I'll show you up..."

He pushed open a door, with a gesture to the acolytes to wait here, and then turned to go inside. Instead of entering, however, he stopped, made an odd strangled sort of noise, and then turned and ran full tilt for the stairs. A glance into the room didn't reveal any immediate danger - it was a fairly normal bedroom, meticulously neat, with bookshelves, four-poster, and a large safe in one corner. The door of the safe hung ever so slightly open. Another door opposite the one they were looking through was also open, and lead out onto the small balcony they had seen overlooking the main hall earlier.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

24. - Top - End - #474
    Banned

Intriguing.

Waiting for a sliver of a second to see if anyone is going to try and stop him, Clavius moves to see what's in the safe - and what the view might be from the balcony. Specifically, whether someone was rapelling down to a boat below.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

The safe was, presently, empty. Presumably this was not the state the interior of the safe was supposed to be in, but there it was. The balcony looked out onto the entrance hall, giving a bird's eye view of the grand staircase and large doors, as well as the tops of nearby chandeliers. Off to the right, visible in a hallway with a railing that also overlooked the entrance, Acting-Governor Chavarin was making very good time towards the stairs to the roof.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #476
    Banned

Clavius had hoped the thief - the Crow? - had left something behind. It's what he'd have done himself, framing his own motives in what he chose to take, what he chose to leave. Although, obviously, in this particular case he'd hoped to find a thick sheaf of thrones. No such luck, sadly.

For the briefest of moments, he considers whether a sufficiently agile man might have gained access via the chandeliers. The idea being entirely academic - Clavius himself being definitely not sufficiently agile - he dismisses it, and runs after the governor.

Wouldn't have expected so paranoid a man to take personal action ... must be important.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Osmund stops for a brief moment, confused by the sudden turn of events, before realising what's happening around him, "Clavius, we should follow the Governor, Savvious: Auspex sweep of the room. Move!" With that he hurries off after Chavarin.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Savvius had already begun removing his Auspex before Osmund issued his command. Feeling a positive emotion based on the validation of his previous determined appropriate course of action Savvius began attuning the Auspex, ignoring the fact that Clavius has already contaminated the space. Perhaps he could match some of the previous biological signatures that he had gathered with recent remants left behind by this safe cracker.
    Active Characters:
    None

Retired Characters:

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Osmund and Clavius

The acting-governor had a head start, but it wasn't exactly difficult to figure out where he had gone based on the sounds of his rapid flight. The two acolytes followed him down the hall and up a set of spiral stairs, arriving on the tower's roof not far behind Chavarin. The acting governor had constructed a new addition to the roof, a large heavily fortified structure with large steel doors. The doors, and the roof, were guarded, but the guards didn't stop Clavius or Osmund. Evidently the Governor's orders to let them by still stood. They passed through the doors after Chavarin, and almost ran smack into the large mechanical legs of a Sentinel walker. The scout vehicle was parked just inside, the multilaser on its weapon mount trained on the door. There was plenty of space for it to turn around within the confines of the large room, and very few places one could concievably hide from the destructive weapon. Chavarin was already past it, heading up a short flight of stairs and into a room on the upper level of what was essentially a very large, heavily guarded panic room.

Savvius

Spoiler
    Show
    It took some fiddling with the auspex's control unit, but Savvius did manage to get some interesting readings. It was 98% likely that the individual who had opened the safe was the same one who had been in the cellar at the Graves mansion.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #480
    Banned

This has to be some sort of Imperial record breaking level of paranoia.

Show

Since I was so wrong about this being the occasion of Chavarin's political purge, I shall make no assumptions about what happens next. Still sad about that thought. What is political intrigue without a good pogrom, I ask you? =)