New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: We All Fall Down (Dark Heresy IC)

"I will admit, the shopkeeper was fairly unhelpful with regards to a physical description, however if he was on legitimate business then there will be evidence of it in the cathedral, if there is not then we go back and ask the shopkeeper some more pressing questions. We're trying to keep this investigation low-key for now, so as not to alert any of our foes to our presence, hence we are Tithe Investigators, which means we can't go kicking in doors, making threats, and what was the phrase you used? Questioning through a mouthful of shotgun?" Osmund continues irritably, in a low tone as they make their way towards the cathedral, "We just need to ascertain if this Brother Otto is a real person, and if he was actually acting on the High Ecclesiarch's orders. Any information on the attack on the High Ecclesiarch will also be useful. I would thank you, yes thank you, for at least attempting to be discrete on this." He finishes speaking as they enter the square, with a glance over at Savvius who is already sweeping the area with his auspex, he leads the way to the cathedral entrance, on the way over he speaks quietly to the team, "Remember, we are here to investigate events leading to the disruption of the Imperial Tithe, the civil unrest caused by these deaths and disappearances is vital to that. If we must make threats, simply allude to the fact that if we are unsatisfied then we will have no choice but to request the presence of the Inquisition." With that, after ensuring Savvius gives the all-clear, and ensuring he has his Tithe Inspector credentials on hand, Doctor Rutherborne leads the way into the cathedral.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Banned

The whole thing about pretending to be Tithe Inspectors is nice and all - but no one believes that unless they are complete morons. Real Tithe Inspectors have zero cause to involve themselves in the things we do. At least I keep them guessing about what Imperial authority that isn't Tithe Inspection we really represent.

Furthermore, where's the fun? I'd have left that poor shopkeeper in tears, traumatized for life. And Savvius could have traced his actions after we left the shop - who he called, what he did.

Right, Savvius - you can trace calls and communication, see through walls, all that stuff, right?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Savvius didn't find any lifesigns with the auspex. None on the rooftops, in any case. With it verified that the Crow was likely not watching, the group entered the cathedral. A smaller antechamber led into the huge main gathering area, lined with pews and lit by thousands of candles. At the far end stood the altar, and behind that the Aquila. Here and there a few faithful were sitting in the pews, praying to the Emperor for salvation. Were it not so late, there would undoubtedly be many more. Several clerics moved along the edges of the room, carrying papers or stepping in to grant benedictions. Off to the left of where they had entered, a small group was speaking with a priest, listening to counsel on the subject of the plague potentially being a punishment from the Emperor.

Another of the clerics had noticed them enter, and hurried over to greet them. "Welcome, welcome," he said. "Blessings of the Emperor be upon you."
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Acknowledging his responsibility to not speak to the locals unless imperative need presented no alternative, Savvius instead removed his datapad and, after ensuring that the data was locked and safe from tampering, displayed his team capabilities data to Clavius since he seemed interested regarding their independent and cooperative capabilities as observed and derived by Savvius through data accumulated in the field and extrapolated from their personnel files. Hopefully this would answer all of Clavius' capabilities questions.
    Active Characters:
    None

Retired Characters:
    Savvius Atillious -- We All Fall Down IC || OoC

5. - Top - End - #245
    Banned

Clavius looked at the data, fascinated - at one point tilting his head to see if it made more sense viewed sideways - baffled by the density of observations, calculations, derived data and assupmptions.

That's ... nutz, highly interesting, Savvius.

Pointing at any random graph or percentage that looks about right, he adds: Look, Osmond, Savvius has a graph that shows how much better a researcher I am. Then he walks off, responding to Savvius' assertation that the graph is in fact something entirely different with a dismissive psh!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Osmund is briefly distracted by Clavius' nonsense before realising his mistake, listening to Clavius, and that one of the priests had addressed them, "Ah yes, hello! May His blessings be upon you as well, Father," he gives a bow along with the sign of the Aquila, "My name is Osmund, this is Clavius and Savvius, my associates. We work for the Imperial Tithe Collection Office, we were hoping to speak with someone of seniority to discuss some matters relating to recent local events. Do you know whom we might speak to about this?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm: (1d100)[25] vs 56

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, well, that depends on what you mean by seniority. We've yet to select a new High Ecclesiarch, but I can find you someone else if you like. Brother Frederick has been with us for years."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

"Would there happen to be..." Osmund checks his data slate, "A Brother Otto, on staff? We have that name down for a few questions. After which, yes I think maybe we might speak to Brother Frederick, if at all possible."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

"Brother Otto? Of course, I'll fetch him. Please, follow me." Leading the way to the side, the priest passed through a door marked 'private,' and then they were in the staff areas of the cathedral. This section seemed devoted to small reading rooms, and the large library visible beyond another set of doors provided the reason why. They were ushered into one of the rooms and then their guide vanished, returning shortly with another man. Brother Otto was clean-shaven, hair going a bit thin on top, though otherwise of indeterminate age, and wearing the same Ecclesiarchal garments as every other priest they had seen thus far. It was easy to see why someone might have difficulty describing him in detail.

"Blessings to you," he said. "I'm told you wish to see me?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

"And to you. Brother Otto, I presume?" Osmund offers him his hand to shake, "I am Osmund, these are my associates Savvius and Clavius. We have been tasked by the Administratum and the Tithe Inspection office to look into the situation down here, as it pertains to this world's contribution to the most holy Imperium of Man. In the course of our investigations, we have discovered records of the previous High Ecclesiarch, may he rest in peace, purchasing a rare needle weapon from one Mister Maywell in the Noble Quarter. Would you be able to shed any light on this transaction?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm: (1d100)[52] vs 56

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Savvius splutters slightly as Clavius misreads his detailed spreadsheet. Perhaps this is due to a lack of clarification annotations within the sheet. Savvius makes a mental note to increase his volume of remedial assistance support for his documentation in the future. With the arrival of Brother Otto, Savvius places his datapads back within his robes, doing his best to observe the situation and discern any obfuscation attempts performed by Brother Otto.
    Active Characters:
    None

Retired Characters:

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"Bit of a funny thing for the Tithe office to ask about..." Brother Otto furrowed his brow, managing to look very confused. "Well, I suppose if it'll help. Yes, His Holiness bought a needler. Emperor only knows what he wanted it for. He asked me to pick it up for him. This is about that? It was all very above board, I assure you."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

13. - Top - End - #253
    Banned

Clavius doesn't need a lot of invitation.

The Imperium, in it's infinite wisdom, has elected the Officio of the Tithe Colletors to help Wight in this time great turmoil and suffering - yes. Via tax inspections, production reviews, accounting and book keeping, we shall get to the bottom of this, and return Wight to full production capacity.

Now, there are various ways in which you, Brother Otto, can assist us in this matter. You say the High Ecclesiarch selected you to fetch his weapon.

Why you? Did he put special trust in you?

The ammo for the weapon came unloaded. Did he also send you for the toxins to be loaded in the darts? Which toxin was that?

Had there been any change in the behaviour of the High Ecclesiarch prior to his purchase of the weapon - prior to his death?

Did the High Ecclesiarch have any enemies that you know of? Was he part of any initiative of action that provoked strong resistance from any group of people? Conversely, did he himself resist the actions of any group of people?

By the Authority of the Officio of Tithe Inspection, I command you to answer these things truthfully and without duplicity.

Spoiler: Sorry
    Show

It just seemed easier to ask everything at once, rather than go through a long back-and-forth.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Why you? Did he put special trust in you?
    "I don't think so," said Brother Otto. "I think I was just the one happened to be there at the time he was asking."

The ammo for the weapon came unloaded. Did he also send you for the toxins to be loaded in the darts? Which toxin was that?
    "Umm, I think he got that seperately. I never picked it up. I have no idea what he put into it."

Had there been any change in the behaviour of the High Ecclesiarch prior to his purchase of the weapon - prior to his death?
    "Yes, actually. Now that you mention it, he seemed... rather nervous, I suppose? He never said what about, but something was obviously bothering him."

Did the High Ecclesiarch have any enemies that you know of? Was he part of any initiative of action that provoked strong resistance from any group of people? Conversely, did he himself resist the actions of any group of people?
    "Well, ah.. No. The Ecclesiarchy is above things like politics, I'm sure you understand." Unlike the others, this answer was given with less conviction. It was also clearly ludicrous; politics touched nearly everything in Imperial life, and however much they might like to pretend, the Adeptus Ministorum was no different.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

15. - Top - End - #255
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    "Well, ah.. No. The Ecclesiarchy is above things like politics, I'm sure you understand." Unlike the others, this answer was given with less conviction. It was also clearly ludicrous; politics touched nearly everything in Imperial life, and however much they might like to pretend, the Adeptus Ministorum was no different.
    I understand. The Ecclesiarchy sets itself apart from such ... trivial and mundane concerns as politics and futile power struggles of nobles and their ilk. However, many political factions strive quite hard the harness the faith of the ecclesiarchy to their further their own goals. And while I'm sure the High Ecclesiach was about such base ambitions - this may indeed have caused frustration.

Are you aware of any groups vying for the attention of his late Holiness? Please consider carefully, Brother Otto. In the interest of saving not only this world, but the many that rely upon it, the Imperium has issued us the very highest authority of the .. um ..
    Clavius thinks for a moment, then snaps his fingers - in the manner of someone going 'oh yea ... that's who we work for', ... the Officio of Tithe Collection.

Clavius glances at the rest of the group, in part to signal 'see - I'm sticking with the story!' ... and in part in the hope that someone else will pitch in and provide more leverage on Brother Otto. The man clearly knows more than he's saying.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Savvius leans forward towards Osmund, his voice as smooth as grinding gears as he spoke to the brother while forcing eye contact with Osmund. "Brother Otto, were you briefed on the Thesti Protocol?" Regardless of the Brother's response Savvius handed his datapad to Osmund, the following message displayed on the screen. Doctor, it may be that Brother Otto is unaware of the High Ecclesiarch's cooperation with us. The fact that he was aiding us in rooting out tithe evasion and sheltering within the officials of this city was not well known. Perhaps we should conduct this interview in a more private setting where his answers may not be overheard. Leaving the datapad attached to his mechadendrite, Savvius abruptly turned his head to Brother Otto and, in a genuine effort to hide his intentions and calm the brother, smiled at him.
    Active Characters:
    None

Retired Characters:

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

"The Thesti Protocol? No, I can't say I've heard of it." Brother Otto looked at Clavius and Osmund for explanation, since that seemed to be Savvius' intent. He hadn't answered Clavius yet.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Osmund reads the data pad for a moment, before turning back to Otto, "Now Savvius, I'm sure that the High Ecclesiarch wouldn't have trusted just anyone with that information," he theatrically looks around to see if it's likely that they will be overheard, "After all, Tithe Evasion is a serious matter... Perhaps we should find somewhere more private, so that we can have a more... thorough chat?"

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't have anything to do with the tithe, though." Brother Otto protested. "I'm just a cleric."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

20. - Top - End - #260
    Banned

Brother Otto, speaks Clavius gravely serious, you must understand that - in a very real sense - the Tithe is the very foundation and essence of the Imperium. You may well say that nothing is more serious than this.

Right now, the future of this planet - and the many that rely upon it - rest entirely within the purview of the Officio of the Tithe Collection.

His voice growing harder, he continues: This world is riddled with corruption, disease, betrayal. It's institutions are failing. It's people dying. It's governor and it's highest servant of the Ecclesiarchy murdered. For this reason, the Holy ... Tithe Collection has been dispatched to set things right, by any and all means necessary.

Am I making myself clear, Brother Otto?

I hold the holy men of the God-Emperor in the highest possible esteem, Brother.

But I cannot allow any leniency in this regard. You will tell us anything and everything you know.

Voice returning to normal, he finishes, now - where may we speak undisturbed?

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

"Here? That's what these rooms are for. Reading, and speaking without interruption." Brother Otto seemed confused, and more than a little alarmed. "I'm really not sure what you're getting at. I don't have anything to do with the tithe. All I did was run an errand for his Holiness the High Ecclesiarch. You don't think..." something rather horrible seemed to have occured to him. "You don't think I had anything to do with the murder, do you? I... merciful Emperor, no. Why would I want to... well, do anything to him, really? I have no problems with the Acting Governor."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #262
    Banned

Brother Otto, you are not a suspect. At present. But you may be in possession of knowledge that we need to perform our duties. I cannot sufficiently stress the importance - billions of lives on this and other worlds are at stake.

Brother Otto, we do not suspect you of any hand in the various miseries plagueing your world - but nor do we rule it out, and besides, obstructing Imperial officials in the pursuit of their duties is no less punishable than is heresy.

So I ask you again, Brother Otto: What do you know of the High Ecclesiarch, his murder, his enemies, any conspiracies in the church ... and precisely why do you mention you have no problems with the Acting Governor? We made no mention of that.

Clavius is actually trying to strike a balance here - pushing hard for any information the good Brother Otto may have, while remaining respectful of a (presumably) innocent servant of the God-Emperor. In essence, Clavius believes Otto is afraid of someone - superiors, the acting governor, someone - but he really needs to be more afraid of Clavius.

Though, maybe ...

In matters pertaining to this case, Brother, we are currently the highest authority on this planet. If you have any worries or concerns regarding your safety, we can guarantee protection. But we need your help.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Osmund, for once, let's Clavvius "interrogate" the poor man for a while, and let's him finish his latest line of questioning before interjecting, quietly, "Brother Otto, what does the Acting-Governor have to do with this? None of us mentioned him, yet you see fit to bring him into the conversation. Why is that?"

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

"Because... because he was friends with the High Ecclesiarch." Brother Otto looked back and forth at them. He looked somewhat guilty, as though he felt he shouldn't really be saying this. "Chavarin's not a popular man. So many people come to us, to confide their displeasure with the measures he's taken since the Governor died. But what can we do? He's the rightful authority, until a new governor is appointed, and His Holiness the Ecclesiarch has always supported him. Used to go up to the Tower to visit, even before Chavarin became Acting Governor."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

25. - Top - End - #265
    Banned

Brother Otto, if Acting Governor Chavarin had been doing his job well, the Imperium would not have sent us to sort out the mess this planet finds itself in. He places a hand reassuringly on the good Brothers shoulder. I respect that confession is a sacred act, Brother, but perhaps you can tell me what sort of concerns people voice? Also, I'd like to know the nature of this friendship between the governor and Chavarin. Were they old brothers in arms, did they study together, anything you know really.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

"You know, I'm not really sure. They were about the same age, though, so possibly they attended the same academic institute. I never got invited to any of the rather numerous meetings they had, so I couldn't really say what they talked about." Somewhat reassured by the change in Clavvius' manner, Brother Otto was speaking a little more freely now. "The concerns are mostly about the plague. They worry about being evicted from their homes, having their possessions claimed by Chavarin's soldiers. Kickbacks to his noble friends. The rich are getting richer, and living in fortified compounds. The working class are worse off than ever, and it's been affecting productivity. Chavarin just says the ones who are left should work harder to make up the deficit."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

27. - Top - End - #267
    Banned

Clavius raises an eyebrow at this, glancing around at his compatriots: ... Evictions, confiscations, production quota increases - all without doing anything about the root cause?

Clavius doesn't want to look clueless in front of the good Brother, but is clearly concerned about this information.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Osmund nods, he half expected this sort of thing, "Yes, all things we must consider for our report. Going back to the topic of the late High Ecclesiarch for a moment, you say he was troubled leading up to his death. For how long, roughly had he seemed distressed? Since the plague began? Since the governor was assassinated? More recently than that? Would you perhaps know anyone with whom the High Ecclesiarch may have confided his worries?"

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Brother Otto thinks for a moment. "A little after the Governor died, I think. I don't know if he would have told anyone, though perhaps Chavarin? Certainly not me."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #270
    Banned

I understand. Brother Otto, a thought occurs to me: Was there any sort of tension between the governor and the High Ecclesiarch? Like I said before, I realise mere political meddling is beneath the faithful men of the God-Emperor - yet still, political ambition and religious morals often times find themselves at odd. Can you think of any such disagreements there might have been?