New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Land of the Six Kingdoms (MLP, FATE Accelerated) IC

Xarzith was not pyrophobic, as that would describe an irrational fear. His body thrived on cold, and the flame made things more uncomfortable than necessary. Even so, he couldn't deny that the hot-blooded ponies were on to something in regards to cooking their food using heat as the resulting meat was nothing short of delectable, something that reminded Xarzith of the taste of copper, or even silver.

We not alone. Xarzith hissed, noticing the distant flame. Or Everfree critters glow in dark.

I go. I good at the sneaking. I see what caused fire. You all stay and wait.

At that, Xarzith slinks off, his natural sense of direction and darkvision giving him an advantage in the gloomy forest. Knowing direction in a featureless snowy plain, a jungle comes as much simpler, all the while Xarzith slinks across the forest floor, quiet and alert as he sneakily approaches the source of the light to investigate its source.

Sneaky
    (4d3)[3][1][3][3](10) 5
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2016-06-09 at 09:24 PM.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Master View Post
    Mocha meanwhile set about the potentially far more important task of crafting some delicious meals for her and the crew. Fortunately the Whinnielight was excellently stock, the kitchen was passably equipped and Cocoa Bean proved to be a semi-helpful assistant. By the end, Mocha had created a meal even she was proud of as well as managed to fire off some of her finest shots of espresso in resent memory. If nothing else, the Whinnielight crew would have full bellies and alert minds for the coming watch.

Spoiler
    Show
    [Vigilance of Espresso] is now a situation aspect of the Whinnielight which can be invoked for free once by any of you. It will run out by the morning.
    It was a simple meal, yet one to be proud of, Mocha decided, as she set about serving it. Three 9" quiches, made with equal parts milk and cream, as well as eggs and egg yolks for protein. It also contained caramelized onions and portabella mushrooms sauteed in butter, with a few pinches of salt and brown sugar for flavor. The buttery, flaky crust held everything together, and the top was sprinkled with smoked paprika. The quiches were sliced and served with french bread, a simple onion broth, and a large salad. There was even a small side of a smokey copper for Xarzith. Overall, a well-rounded meal that would keep the crew well-fed for the rest of the night.

Mocha placed the meals on a serving cart, with the espresso shots on the side. She wheeled them out onto the deck, where the others were already waiting. "Food is ready, everypony~" she said. Cocoa Bean didn't hesitate in serving herself with one of the provided plates.

With Celestia's sun, if that is what it truly was, dipping beneath the canopy and dinner ready you all gathered on the deck of the Whinnielight to sup. With the golden light spilling over the deck and a cool breeze blowing through your manes it was surprisingly relaxing for a evening in the Everfree. This illusion was broken as soon as you looked up to the menacing wall of vegetation which entrapped you, so glad hearts turned inward to friends and food for comfort. Even so, as dinner was finishing and night fell, you all noticed that a single small flickering light which had bloomed in the shadowy fold of the forest.
    Mocha looked out at the campfire, a ponderous frown crossing her face. "I wonder who could be so bold - or foolish - as to be camping out in the Everfree Forest?" she wondered.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

"Ponies have occasionally ventured into these woods but most plans do not involve spending the night." Astral commented as he stood perplexed, gazing at the campfire. Despite all reason, the small ember of light pocking out from the black tangle of the forest persisted as one might expect a campfire to do. When he saw their dragon friend slink off, Astral spoke up. "Hopefully it will be some other ponies who might be able to aid us, or us them. Strength in numbers and all that." He made no move to suggest joining the dragon as he was quick comfortable not being the one to creep through the Everfree in the dark.

Xarzith dropped down to the floor of the glade and glided towards the edge of the treeline like the shadow of a butterfly's whisper. Stepping lightly, he found a great deal of creepers lay on the ground, invisible just beneath the coat of grass. Navigating through the forest proved elementary in terms of direction, but Xarzith found that the Everfree was a treacherous place. Choking vines, briers that grew like spiny walls and reaching branches of ancient tree all appeared to make his path more complicated. However, the dragon was no unskilled survivalist and despite the difficulties managed to maneuver near to the fire.

From a vantage point were he lay concealed in the brush, Xarzith got a better view of the sit. The fire itself burned in the center of a tiny clearing of sorts, or at least a spot were the trees did not grow quite so tightly. Three tents had been erected about the flame, strung from trees and anchored to the ground each made of drab brown fabric. For each tent, a figure was gathered at the edge of the clearing. Xarzith made out a normal looking pony with a hat on, a stranger pony of alternating black and white hue, and a cat-bird hybrid which wore dull metal armor. They were conversing in soft tones and pointing in the direction of the Whinnielight.
    Last edited by Humble Master; 2016-06-10 at 06:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274

Xarzith was pretty sure he had seen the cat-bird hybrid creature before, but the odd striped pony was not something Xarzith had not seen before. Did they indeed hop dimensions or is this another one of the strange parts of Equestria Xarzith simply wasn't aware of yet?

He then questioned the possibility of contact. On one claw, communication and coordination would be important and Xarzith can bring them to the Whinnielight if they're friendly. If they're hostile, Xarzith was pretty sure he could escape and warn everydrake else.

He knew better than to shout to get their attention, not inside an area with high wildlife density and potentially attract the attention of bigger predators. Instead, he ripped off a nearby branch, throwing it near the fire so as to alert them to something above them. Once he gets their attention he waves calmly, emerging from the bush, trying to keep their attention while at the same time appear as non-threatening as a dragon can be.

Greetings. He gives his greetings. You understand me, yes? I come in the peace.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2016-06-10 at 07:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275

"Ponies have occasionally ventured into these woods but most plans do not involve spending the night." Astral commented as he stood perplexed, gazing at the campfire. Despite all reason, the small ember of light pocking out from the black tangle of the forest persisted as one might expect a campfire to do. When he saw their dragon friend slink off, Astral spoke up. "Hopefully it will be some other ponies who might be able to aid us, or us them. Strength in numbers and all that." He made no move to suggest joining the dragon as he was quick comfortable not being the one to creep through the Everfree in the dark.
    Yeah, but would you really want help from a pony who was crazy enough to willing camp in the forest?

Rainbow is already in a fighting stance, just in case Xarzith comes back and says there's trouble.

Staresh, Staresh just shrugs.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Mocha, meanwhile calmly offered the others more quiche.
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

"To be fair, I tried to plan a night in the Everfree to get closer to its unique majesty. Of course, I ran into problem with the... ooo! More quiche!" Astral said as he paused to accept some more delicious quiche.

Spoiler: The Party
    Show

As the branch crashed to the ground all 3 figures swiveled around. With rapid movements that Xarzith could only determine were instinctual the trio drew a variety of weapons, with the exception of the Pony who pulled out what looked like felt dragon puppet. His words however seemed to stay their blades and the group cautiously inched forward.

Now in the light, Xarzith could see them in greater detail. The griffon wore a suit of dull scale male and leather over her fur, head completely obscured by a cowl and brilliantly polished metal mask. Slipped over the creature's talons Xarzith could make out sharpened metal sheaths and a number of grappling hooks hung from their side. Further back the bizarre striped pony toted a large crossbow over their shoulder along with a bulging case of bolts. Across their side hung a bulging sack and a stylistic sigil adorned their flank. Finally the strange pony wore clothing vaguely reminiscent of a traveling musician between her shawl and large goofy hat with a feather. Even as she advanced, she continued to manipulate the dragon puppet, making peer forward at Xarzith.

"I understand the words you speak." The griffon said. "And my talons lay at rest. For now." "Come on Gadli, loosen up!" the pony said, elbowing the Griffon with a grin. "Dragon of the frigid lands far up north. Unseen on these dark trails for many years." The griffon nodded. "What brings you to the Expanse and to our camp? Know you of the light in the sky?"
    Last edited by Humble Master; 2016-06-10 at 10:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278

The bird-cat referred to the forest as the "Expanse." Somehow that seemed to stick out in Xarzith's mind as incorrect, but he filed that information off to the side for now. Probably a local term. "Light in the sky?" Xarzith echoed, confused. You mean Sun? It come back in hours.

As for why I here, it a bit of story.
    He glances back in the direction of the Whinnielight. I am with group of the ponies. We fly ship and it does the crashes in forest. We eating the dinner for night and see fire. I am good scout so I see what cause the fire is and am here now.

I take you to group if want to meet. We lost.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

"We shall follow you to your companions. Already our plan to investigate the crashed ship." The griffon intoned simply. "Not the sun, silly!" the pony said with a slight giggle. "That huge green flash the ship came out of! I suppose if you were on it you might not have seen it." With that the party set off for the Whinnielight, Xarzith leading the way and the trio trailing close behind. When they reached the edge of the glade the odd stripped Pony spoke up. "Sleeper vines lay in wait for strong hooffalls. Step light or wake the plant and face the sleep." Indeed, the trio the Xarzith was leading began to gently creep through the grass. Following suite, you managed to slink up to the Whinnielight without trouble at which point Gadli picked up his two companions and rocketed up onto the deck.

"Weee! Going for a Gadli ride!" the party on the deck heard as an armored and masked Griffon, a Zebra bearing a large crossbow and a bouncy pony with a feathered hat touched down the deck. The pony spoke up. "Your icy dragon friend just brought us over. We wanted to know what the deal was with your swanky ride here crashing into the Expanse." she tapped her hoof on the deck. "If lost you are then guide we can and will." The Zebra intoned in a rhythmic voice. Suddenly the Griffon fell into a battle stance, pointing a bladed talon at Staresh. "A trick! Changlings!"

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

"Weee! Going for a Gadli ride!" the party on the deck heard as an armored and masked Griffon, a Zebra bearing a large crossbow and a bouncy pony with a feathered hat touched down the deck. The pony spoke up. "Your icy dragon friend just brought us over. We wanted to know what the deal was with your swanky ride here crashing into the Expanse." she tapped her hoof on the deck. "If lost you are then guide we can and will." The Zebra intoned in a rhythmic voice.
    Mocha smiled at the visitors, playing her part as the barista. "Good evening," she said. "Would you like some quiche, or an espresso?"

Suddenly the Griffon fell into a battle stance, pointing a bladed talon at Staresh. "A trick! Changlings!"
    Mocha shook her head. "Don't worry about her, darling, she's a part of the allied tribes," she said. "The worst she's done is abandon her post when she got sick."
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

11. - Top - End - #281

What? Is not trick! Xarzith insists. Staresh is friend.

12. - Top - End - #282

Mocha, if Starry's right then this might be well before the alliance was finalized.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

"Ooo! Quiche!" the pony chimed as she reached forward to quickly snatch a piece from Mocha but she received a glare from her companions. Meanwhile the griffon turned it's masked head, utterly nonplussed. "Allied tribes? The Black Swarm has always served non but the Tyrant Queen. Do you not recall the fall of the Kingdom of Kindness?" Astral Gleam shook his head. "I will be frank my friend, we've no idea what those names you are referring to are." Gadli shifted uneasily, but did not lower his talons however the Zebra peered closer at Staresh, seeming to scrutinize the Changling. "An odd Changling in hue of shell and eye. Perhaps not one who fought your kin or friends. Strange winds blow now since emerald light in sky. Now a Changling who claims Ponies as friends." Though confusing, the Zebra's words seemed to satisfy the Griffon who lowered his talons. "Answers seem needed for both parties. Very well. I am..." "He's my coltfriend Gadli and I'm Dancing String! This is Acozer" the Pony blurted out, much the the annoyance of the Griffon who seemed to project a scowl even through his mask. "We are a rescue team traversing the Expanse. Who might you be?".

14. - Top - End - #284

Am Xarzith. The dragon introduces himself. I come from Northern Wastes in the Indigo Empire in Ancestral Dragon homeland.

I am new to Equestria but...never hear of Kingdom of Kindness, Black Swarm, or Tyrant Queen.

We think we in...alternate Equestria.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2016-06-12 at 05:10 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285

Rainbow Quartz, security.

Also, as a final note, if this was a trick or trap, either we'd all be changlings or Starry would be in disguise, so you can rest easy Mr. Griffon.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

"Yep no worries, really all you should worry about is miss downer over there." Staresh motioned to Moca.
    "She is so uptight and stressed. We are all peaceful though." Staresh said with a big grin. Staresh's draconic eyes bright and inviting. She was also taller then most other changlings aside from queens themselves.

Peaceful calm negations
    (4d3)[1][1][3][1](6)+5+I hate you rolls I hate you so much =3
    Last edited by cavalieredraghi; 2016-06-12 at 03:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieredraghi View Post
    "Yep no worries, really all you should worry about is miss downer over there." Staresh motioned to Moca.
    "She is so uptight and stressed. We are all peaceful though." Staresh said with a big grin. Staresh's draconic eyes bright and inviting. She was also taller then most other changlings aside from queens themselves.
    Mocha didn't seem particularly stressed at the moment. Really, it was more of a spur-of-the-moment spat of anger born of worry, and it seemed like it passed as soon as she started cooking. However, a keen eye would note the foal next to her that looked related, possibly her little sister. That noted, it would make sense why she might be a little tense - the Everfree Forest, no matter what world it's in, was no place for a foal to spend the night.

As Mocha offered the newcomers quiche, bread, and salad, Cocoa Bean stood nearby, staring up at the gryphon with all the wonder of a foal who's never seen a gryphon in her life.
    Last edited by Hawkflight; 2016-06-12 at 04:42 PM.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

"Astral Gleam, resident mage." he said with a small bow.

Staresh words, though somewhat clunky for her, had the intended effect and Gadli seemed to fully relax. The Griffon hung his head and knelt before Staresh "You have my apologies for my actions. I must reach for the spark of friendship before hook and talon." Gadli then rose. "But my knowledge of Changlings is the Black Swarm. When the Kingdom of Kindness fell, it was to a dark cloud of hungering Lings so vast it blocked out the sun. They fell upon the Kingdom and ravaged it entirely in less than a day. Few Ponies escaped and many Griffon flocks fell in the defense of the Kingdom. Now the Tyrant Queen lurks in her conquered Hive, waiting."

Suddenly Dancing String spoke up through a mouthful of quiche. "You said you aren't from around here, like at all!"

"I can relate the tale of this old land. Many stories perhaps different than yours." Acozer said. Astral Gleam turned his head. "You all are not in the slightest bit concerned that Xarzith claimed we were from a different world?" Acozer shook his head. "Many far off lands that are yet unseen. We will learn the truth of the dragon's words."

Dancing String knelt down near to Cocoa, putting on a friendly smile and trying to look supportive. "Galdi is quite the sight isn't he! Griffons you know used to nasty, greedy birds who would rather have a mountain of gold than a pile of friends. Eventually, nopony trusted them anymore and their perches all fell to ruin! But then the Masked Queen decided to change and led a bunch of Griffons to become nice birds who protect Ponies and tie up all the nastiness with their grappling hooks!"
    Last edited by Humble Master; 2016-06-12 at 05:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

"Tell me more about this swarm? And this Kingdom of Kindness?" Staresh asked as she watched the griffon more because of his words.

20. - Top - End - #290

Xarzith tilts his head, confused. In our world, there no "Kingdom of Kindness." No "Black Swarm." Changlings live in many, many little Hives across Equestria. Many Hives becoming pony friends but some still have the evil. Main bad Hive known as "Arbiters." Small numbers but they have the skills and elite. He pauses for a moment as a thought comes to him.

What dragons like in this world? They blasphemers who walk on the two legs?

21. - Top - End - #291

I'm also curious about this Kingdom of Kindness thing. There are only so many Kingdoms where we're from, and nothing about a Kingdom of Kindness
    Last edited by Rater202; 2016-06-12 at 06:30 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Staresh scooches closer to Rainbow. "Yah were we are from there really is only one place that calls itself a Kingdom. The rest have other names, like Empire, Hierarchy, Hive. Really we are just a conglomeration of a number of different peoples. "

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Dancing String knelt down near to Cocoa, putting on a friendly smile and trying to look supportive. "Galdi is quite the sight isn't he! Griffons you know used to nasty, greedy birds who would rather have a mountain of gold than a pile of friends. Eventually, nopony trusted them anymore and their perches all fell to ruin! But then the Masked Queen decided to change and led a bunch of Griffons to become nice birds who protect Ponies and tie up all the nastiness with their grappling hooks!"
    Cocoa Bean tilted her head. "But gryphons can fly," she said. "Why would they need grappling hooks?"
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

"Well, for tying their foes up and helping Ponies climb up places. A bunch of Griffons have even been known to pull a whole Dragon out of the sky!" Dancing String explained. "I suppose you could watch Gadli practice with his hooks. It is pretty impressive!" The Griffon in question shook his head spoke "Please Mrs. String. Acozer is beginning." Indeed the Zebra had closed his eyes and seemed to be humming softly to himself, the ghosts of words forming on his lips. Apparently ready he called everypony together to sit down.

And he sang. He chanted and orated, words pouring from his mouth in a rhythmic cadence that beat as a heart to the numerous stories which fell from his words. He sang of the severing of the first Tree of Harmony, the great alliance between the Six Kingdom and Discord's downfall. He chanted of Tirek and his death at the hands of Scorpan, of the Cabal Astra which tended to the movements of the heavens. He intoned the Black Swarm which poured from the north and claimed one of the Kingdoms. He shouted out the birth of the Expanse when the Tree was split and the enigmatic Lost of the Everfree. He hummed of dragons and their ancient wars, of Griffons and their stalwart heart, Zebras and their eternal song and Ponies with their 5 proud Kingdoms.

In a measure of time which seemed almost too brief for the length of the tales told, Acozer's voice fell to silence and the Zebra nodded before stepping off the proverbial stage without another word. "His memory has yet to fail to amaze me." Gadli said, breaking the silence. "Were your questions answered?"

25. - Top - End - #295

Xarzith sat, enraptured and in awe, his wide-eyed gaze staring right through Acozer, solid black eyes glistening with half-formed tears. He had heard everything, understood it, however any thoughts or questions he might have had paled in comparison to the one detail that stuck out from the tale. The tale of the draconic civil war, where the leaders of the clans never united and never killed Io.

The fact that the deity most important to draconic history continued to live in this world filled Xarzith with a jubilant sensation not known for thousands of years, echoing across his draconic ancestral memory like a soothing balm applied to a millennia-old wound of the pain of having lost their immortality. The dragon became positively radiant with joy and happiness.

Io lives...! He mutters.

Io lives! Io lives!! Each repetition louder than the last, the joy swelling inside of him demanding release. What ever dulling effect the fact that the Dragon Emperor betrayed and wounded Io and drove Him into hiding was a pittance compared to the fact of the deity's continued survival.

Io lives!!!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Staresh just gives Xar a look of complete seriously.
    "He lived back in our world too, just had his power transfer to my dad." Staresh had snuggled up close to Rainbow during the song and was now resting her head on Rainbow's back as she thought about what was just told to her.

27. - Top - End - #297

Xarzith shakes his head with his eyes closed, still smiling. No. He is dead. Is not something Ancestral Dragon could mistake. Spark is taking of the mantle of Io. Is harder to destroy the mantle. But Xarzith knew that even a dead God can still dream, and even affect the world. This vestige, and the worship thereof, is the largest religion in the Ancestral Dragon homeland as they believed that in this small way, Io was still alive.

28. - Top - End - #298

Rainbow maybe sort of started holding Starry like a security changeling when she heard what happened to the Crystal Empire in this world.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Staresh lets herself be held by Rainbow as she does try to help comfort her friend.
    "It okay, this is not our home remember that Rainbow." She would whisper to her.
    "We will get home and back to our families."

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieredraghi View Post
    Staresh lets herself be held by Rainbow as she does try to help comfort her friend.
    "It okay, this is not our home remember that Rainbow." She would whisper to her.
    "We will get home and back to our families."
    Rainbow nods, but doesn't let go of Starry.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks