New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default New gamer webcomic!

Well I saw someone else do this soooo...

Check out my new webcomic that I started a few weeks ago. It's based off of Blizzard's World of Warcraft game so if you are a fan and want a decent laugh give it a look. It was inspired by Rich's own OOTS, but never fear even though the art looks similar it is original work done by me from scratch. We just got started but the current plan is for a new post 1-2 times a week. We really need some support and I would love to hear your comments and opinions on the forums there. So please check it out and tell you friends.

World of Stickcraft

Isomorph
    I\'f I\'m normal then everyone else must be crazy!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: New gamer webcomic!

You do have to say that the origin of the style is Order of the Stick ya know,
    And, in my opinion, not so funny,
    But your damn right about god damn paladins....
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

The red text is quite hard to read, you should really consider finding a different colour.
    Founder, Chief Eviscerator and resurrected Leader of The Belkar Fanclub - Because our psycho is better than your psycho .

[I]Avatar stolen from h_v's eviscerated corpse.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

As I said it is inspired by OOTS. I loved the style so much that I wanted to do something similar. As soon as I do some more work on the page, I'll put some better links back to Rich's site and give credit.

That text by the way is supposed to be red. That's the pvp enabled enemy color for the nameplates. I might tweak it a little to make it a bit more visible on the background though.

As for not so funny yet, give me some time! :P We just started only a couple weeks ago so ya gotta give us some time to get more creative and put out some grade A stuff. :D

Isomorph

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

PVP enabled enemy colored or not...absolutely horrid to read...so, I cannot tell if it funny or not...

IE -- hard to read, not worth my time to read...

Any the similarities to OotS are, IMHO, too close...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Very annoying to read because I have to scroll over. x.x Also I don't play World of Warcraft, so it's hard to tell what's going on. :P

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I meant you have to actually put that on the website, and I cannot find it.
    And he's right, the style is just...too close...
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

8. - Top - End - #8

Yes, it looks close... but it's a stick figure comic. What do you expect? The backgrounds looks like it's a direct screen capture, which is totally different from OOTS.

I betcha I could find a stick figure webcomic out there that predates OOTS and say it ripped it off too. But I'm not going to. The guy already stated he got inspiration from OOTS, just drop it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Another stick figure comic that utilizes square "stick" bodies (unless female or robed),rather large heads, that have 3 fingers, two oval black eyes unless glowing, rather long and straight eyebrow strokes only when there is an emotion, done in Adobe Illustrator, with a Comic Sans MS font, in descending panels block format, based on an RPG? Predating the OotS? I doubt it, but whatever you say, man.

The whole "state the style" thing is because he says it here, but not on the website. This website is not the only source of readers! Therefore, some people may not know that it's based on the OotS style, and he might benefit from that. For example, someone could donate $5 to him just because s/he likes the style. Those $5 could've gone to Rich instead! Although if this IS the only source of his publication, I guess it's okay. But how do we know he hasn't put himself in the XComic or whatever listings if there are any? What if someone googles a related keyword and finds his website?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

To answer your question, no I am not in any webcomic directory. Second, anywhere that I have advertised my webcomic I ALWAYS state that it was inspired by OOTS and point them in Rich's direction so they can enjoy his work. The website is still under construction and hasn't been finished, so for the moment there aren't any links on it whatsoever, but I do have plans to put a link here on the front of the site in the near future. I believe in giving credit where it is due, and I do that.

As for my style being similar, it really doesn't matter as long as the artwork is mine. I did all the artwork from scratch and by Rich's own words in another thread in this forum, it is therefore mine to do with as I see fit. But if you look closely there are a lot of differences.

As for the red text (which I already explained and feel there shouldn't be a need to explain again), the comic is NEW. I have not worked all the kinks out of it yet and since I am not a professional artist like Rich, my webcomic is not going to be perfect from the very first strip. It will go through changes until I get the quality to a point where I am happy with it. I appreciate your criticism but I would appreciate it more if you would give it in a slightly nicer manner. :P

As for the humor, it is laregly based on experiences from playing World of Warcraft, and therefore in most cases will only be understood by people that are avid players. But through constructive feedback I hope to eventually make it more understood to a larger audience. But for now it is still NEW(pretty sure I have mentioned this on several occasions).

For those of you who had nice things to say or who at least tried to be nicer about the flaws, thank you. :D

EDIT: I personally will probably never ask for donations, because I am not doing this to make money since it is nothing but a hobby. As for taking money away from Rich, I plan to make a donation to him as soon as I have a job again and can afford it. Afterall, his work did inspire me to actually do something artistic. :P

Isomorph

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Well despite how incredibly evil some of you were with the advice :P I took some time today and made some changes to the site and the last posted comic. The viewing problems should be better because I removed the right panel from the site template so there is more display room for the comic. I have also decided to never do a strip that large again because it just was too hard to fit in the window. :P

I decided to keep the red text color because it is essential to the format of the comic but I made it more visible. Part of the problem of this was that because of the sheer size of the strip it had to be shrunk some and the qulaity had to be reduced to reduce loading times, but for this one strip I increased the quality. It should be easier to read now, but you might have to wait a bit longer for it to load up.

Now as for humor, as I say in the forums for my site(which I get the feeling hardly anyone read ::)) I am open to suggestions for comic ideas. If any World of Warcraft fans have an idea for a strip I would be glad to hear it and implement it in the future(with recognition of course to the person whose idea it was).

Lastly, I just want to say that in retrospect I feel I probably shouldn't have adverised my webcomic here. I thought that since most people here seem to appreciate good comic art that maybe they might be supportive of a new comic artist trying to make a small place for himself in the world. Obviously I was mistaken since most people(that responded to this thread at least) seem to be overly critical and like to stomp on other people's work just because it isn't high enough quality to be hung in a museum. Despite your rather hateful comments I will continue to work on this strip and hopefully will be succesful at it. Who knows, maybe I'll even win over some of you eventually. The main reason I posted here is because I want Rich's feedback, since I know he will be constructive. But who knows, I might never even get a response from him soooooo....oh well.

Isomorph

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't think that there's anything wrong with saying "Hey, check out my comic" in here. But just as you have the right to say that, I think other people have the right to state their honest opinions about it. You refered to the comments as being "hateful" but I don't think any of them were. I think that people were doing exactly as you asked. I think that all of the negative criticisms were constructive. Everyone said why they didn't like what they saw and how to improve it.

I've gotten some pretty nasty comments about my comic as well. Everything from "The art is unbearable" to an email telling me that my comic was so boring, that he couldn't finish it (I find it hilarious that he couldn't finish the 5 page comic he was refering to, but took the time to email me and tell me this). I focus on the positive comments "Your art is amazing, how do you draw like that?" ... "I can't wait for the big battle coming up! You rock!" and keep working at always getting better.

Yes, your comic is rough right now but take the negative comments as help at getting better and try not to get upset about them to the point where you're lashing out at them for responding. And most importantly...

remember that you asked.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm going to keep out of the whole style issue and say that the whole page needs to be tweaked.

As it stands at the moment, I can't scroll across to read the far right panels without scrolling all the way to the bottom first, which pretty much kills the whole thing - if I was to read the whole thing in sequence it'd take about 27 scrolls

You could really do with changing it so that the whole page scrolled, rather than just the centre section.

Just noticed this too - on the header, the text in Marvin's speechbubble is poking through the sides of the bubble.

Also, and this is probably getting a bit petty ;), you've used at least 9 seperate tables for that page, lots of which only have 1 cell, it's a bit messy.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I do not wish to be hateful, but you really should ask the giant before you copy the style in that manner. I find the joke funny enough, but if the Giant dosn't want you to be using his style, I understand that.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

I agree with you, I DID ask for comments. So in a way it's my own fault.

Site layout is still being altered constantly. We are currently using a template created by someone else and have been tweaking it to make it more appropriate for our purpose. As for the last comic being way too huge, I agree and will probably never make one that big again. It was just too dang hard to fit in the screen without problems, but I've decided to leave it as is and concentrate on making the next strip.

As I said before, before I started this webcomic I thouroghly read through the other thread in this forum concerning the copying of Rich's art/style. In it Rich himself very clearly states that as long as your art work is 100% originally drawn and not actual art of his that is altered, then it is your property to do with as you want. As for a particular drawing style, there are a lot of things about my comic art that are very different from his and will continue to change in the future to become even less like his. But just because they are colorful, have round heads, and stick arms and legs and look a little like his work you can't say that I am copying his art style. The fact that I drew them myself from scratch already made them different because I can't draw like him and in fact was never trying to. I just like the basic style of the stick figure art. If you like I can actually point out a lot of stuff about my characters that is drawn differently from his.

But anyways, no matter how the criticism was given, I DID listen to it and made a few changes accordingly. For those of you who had problems understanding the humor because you don't play World of Warcraft, I would love to hear from you on MY forums with some ideas of how I could make some episodes that would appeal to non-World of Warcraft players. :D

Isomorph

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

You're right, but what about the fact that were it not for Rich, you would not have drawn the comic in that way? But as long as every person reading your comic knows it was inspired by tGitP, it doesn't really matter.

BTW, what's Hearth? The WoW website says nothing. I assume it's something that lets you teleport or turn invisible, as is implied.

Nevermind. I figured it out.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

As I stated before, everywhere I have advertised my comic I have made sure that everyone understands that it was inspired by OOTS. In fact, I usually show them this comic first, then point them to mine. As for a link on my site, I was incorrect before, there actually already is a link here with a note stating that this was my inspiration(apparently I added it back during site construction and forget it was there). I'm new to php scripting so I'm still learning how to manipulate it, but eventually there will be a better link section and some more comments pertaining to the origin of the comic style, but for now I just TELL everyone instead. But I know for a fact that I have gotten several people to become avid readers of OOTS in the process of introducing my webcomic in some other forums I visit. So am I trying to take away credit form Rich? No. Am I trying to steal his readers? No. I'm just trying to make a webcomic in the only way that I apparently can since this seems to be the only kind of artwork I am even somewhat good at.

Isomorph

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

thebovrilmonkey, thanks for actually pointing out the problems with the header. I hadn't actually noticed that. ;) I fixed it though and updated the graphic a bit. Should look a bit better now.

Isomorph

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Ok, I've been thinking and I guess I was a bit harsh in my response to your comments. Whether your criticism sounded mean to me or not I shouldn't have responded back that way. No matter how your comments sounded, I did listen to them and made some changes to the strip/site. I guess I just got overwhelmed because most of the feedback was negative, and I was hoping to get some positive feedback as well. But being mean back surely isn't going to get me positive feedback. :P

So what I'm trying to say is that I apologize for giving such harsh responses.

I would love to keep hearing from you, but may I ask that you please also leave some positive feedback as well? ;) I'd like to hear some of the things you DO like about the strip.

Isomorph