New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Ruination (Non-Elemental Magic!) (Anti-Magical Magic?)

Hello, everyone! Today I want to pick up some advice for a spell-list that I'm trying to make for a custom class I'm trying to form for the purpose of giving a HUGE challenge to a DnD group I have that decided to play all wizards. Fun. They're only using core rulebooks, but the powers of a wizard can get annoyingly crazy when you have five of them communicating to make sure they all have different spells for literally any situation.

That being said, this is my idea for countering them. This class, known as a Devoid, is going to specialize in using non-elemental, potentially non-magical magic to basically destroy any caster class. I know there are classes out there that allow their character to go mindless, or resist energy to an extent, but I wanted something that wasn't necessarily unfair, but still provided a huge challenge considering the situation.

When thinking about the idea of this spell list, keep in mind similar effects that I'm drawing from. Ruin from the Final Fantasy games, Metal Magic from some horrible obscure game that I can't remember right now, and what I like to think is the greatest inspiration, Eldrazi from MTG. The idea is that these spells can do ability damage, make opponents lose their spells for the day, reduce concentration checks, extend the duration of spells, etc.

For redundancy, the class will have another homebrewed item that acts as an aura of pacifism, but only effects melee combatants. Therefore, no punching, slashing, mauling or otherwise dismembering of the Devoid by non-magical means. This is going to make it so that the wizards have to off this threat quickly or find themselves in a rapidly sinking ship.

Some of the spell ideas I have are below. I'm not interested in placing them in spell levels just yet, I just want to get some huge suggestions from all of you guys. Also, I'm new. Hey.

Ruin - 1d4 damage per 2 levels. No Save, No SR.

Engulf - Surround the target with a bubble that has SR 10+CL. Spells do not stop when hitting this bubble, but must bypass it to reach other targets.

Void - Remove the elemental effects from a targets spells for 1d6 per 4 CL rounds.

Erasure - Remove the last instance of damage or healing dealt to any target.

Devour - The next instance of magic cast at you is instead consumed, restores health and a spell slot 2 levels lower than the level of the spell cast (Minimum 1)

Reflect - Send the next spell cast at you back at the caster.

Consume - Roll a d10. Consume one spell level from a target equal to the die rolled-1, where rolling a one would consume a 0 level spell. If the target has infinite casts of 0 level spells, instead deal 1d6 damage.

Embrace - Share your magical equipment bonuses with a target, and also benefit from their magical equipment.

Igneous - The next time a fire spell is cast, it blows up at the source, dealing 1d6 x it's spell level in damage.

Most of these effects with have their text altered to be a little fluffier once I get everything worked out. So, any suggestions from the crowd?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Ruination (Non-Elemental Magic!) (Anti-Magical Magic?)

Cool! Since I don't have a lot of time, I'll start by saying I like your designs so far. And follow up by saying that if you're fighting five wizards, you're going to want some area effect/multi-target spells. I mean, your single-target game is good, but this if this guy's trying to lone gunslinger a whole firing squad, he either need more constant/passive defenses, or much wider offensive powers.

Anyway, that's enough half-baked vagueness on my part! Here are some suggestions, for you to take or leave as you please.

Neutralize Compound: Acid spells cast by target cannot corrode substances; all acid damage dealt is prevented. Curse-type, lasts until removed.

Lightning Rod: Target attracts all electric spells that could feasibly target it, diverting them from their intended target. Curse-type, lasts until removed.

Sublimate: Cold spells cast by target fail; non-magical fog cloud emerges from their position instead. If spell was of 3rd level or higher, creates non-magical stinking cloud instead, due to low oxygen content.

Expire: Target's next sonic spell fails. Instead, they are dealt 1d8 bludgeoning damage, and are silenced for one turn, as the spell.

Unreality: All spells with an elemental descriptor in an area function as though they were 1st-level spells. (This mostly affects save DCs.)

Dark Matter: Target receives 1d4 damage, no type. Damage cannot be resisted, reduced, or ignored. Does not require line of effect to function. Does not function across planar barriers.

Achroma: Self-only. Can ignore elemental damage from all sources for one turn. Standard action cast time. Turns self - skin, clothes, eyes, everything - solid grey, colorless save for lighting conditions, for the duration.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Dude, IMHO , non-magical magic that can shut down all mental and physical defenses? That's psionics. Or at the very least, something that doesn't conform to the conventional rules of reality.

Perhaps a class that, with kosher leveling, absorbs all magical energy thrown at him to use for his own purposes or hurl back at his assailants. And if this isn't just a one-off class and there are quite a few in the world, and these guys learn to siphon ALL energy to fuel their abilities, that also sounds like the beginning of Athas. Epic times, my friend.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This concept of anti-magic items can also be fun as well. I had a few thoughts about this, and this is what I came up with:

Black Amber
    A glossy, dark material, which can be either solid or liquid which attracts all magical spells in its vicinity. If a spell happens to hit it, then the spell is then contained inside of it until broken. From this point onward, it will not attract any more spells. If the person who threw the spell manages to get the Black Amber, they are able to re-absorb the spell, allowing it to be used again. Re-absorption will destroy the amber.

Although I mainly thought of using it for defensive purposes, it can be used for Wizards and other spell-using classes to store additional spells.

Mage-Glass
    Transparent material which seems to defy the laws of gravity, floating in mid-air. It is attracted to any magical source. Casting a spell nearby the glass will cause the glass to throw itself toward the caster, dealing damage depending on the size of the glass (Small shards doing 1d4, larger ones doing 1d6, and so on). They typically come in shards, but can also be made into marbles to deal bludgeoning damage, or fashioned into bottles to hold acid (or if used in juncture with the Black Amber above, a fireball spell ). It loses its attraction to magic (and its utter defiance of gravity) once it breaks.

This is a lot more trap-like. Any spell, even simple ones like detect-magic, attract this stuff. Gotta keep them wizards on their toes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I am especially attracted to your claim that this class is inspired by the eldrazi, which to me indicates that it needs more reality warping! Basically, the class should come with abilities that warp the local environment in ways that make traditional magic hard to use or less effective. For example:

Space warping. Many spells rely on line-of-sight to work; if the class has the power to introduce obstacles like twisty walls, planar barriers, or straight-up space bends, it could rely on a preparation of non-los spells to outmaneuver foes.

Introduction of planar properties. Many planes have properties which affect certain spell types, among other things, like chaotic planes being bad places for lawful beings to be, and water planes having an adverse effect on fire magic (I think?) The ability to introduce the properties of other planes would not only allow for dampening of whole spell types, but would also be keeping in the flavor of otherworldliness that the eldrazi influence suggests.

Ringing field, or something. Basically, the ability to affect an area with an unpleasant effect (like a loud ringing for example) that forces concentration checks to be made for spell casting; this would mean the players might need to figure out how to mitigate this effect, costing them precious turns.