New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Question [Spoiler] Anyone else here think...

...that Vinny's gonna get croaked?
    I mean, the guy's nice, clever, a friend of a main character and in a battle situation - he's a prime candidate for a dramatic death scene. Not that that seems to be the Erfworld style, y'know, but it could happen.

(didn't know whether putting 'spoiler' was appropriate in this context, but decided to play it safe - apologies if it was wrong)
    If all the world's a stage, and all the men and women only players....who on earth has my script?

PETE: Egon, this is reminding me of the time you tried to drill a hole in your head.
    EGON: That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me.
    (Ghostbusters)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Spoiler] Anyone else here think...

Ackthbt!
    Egads... you're right! Noooo!
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Vinny does seem to be very well liked by the audience (or those on the forum) making him a prime candidate for "sympathetic death scene." Though it also seems like some strange turn of events could make Vinny and Parson friends.
    Last edited by Letifer; 2007-06-26 at 02:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

You could be right there. But how would they get to know each other? Unless Stanley's forces capture Vinny/Ansom's forces capture Parson....
    If all the world's a stage, and all the men and women only players....who on earth has my script?

PETE: Egon, this is reminding me of the time you tried to drill a hole in your head.
    EGON: That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me.
    (Ghostbusters)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

no way, Vinnie is Parson's only real competition. After a few more rounds of surprises, Ansom and Vinnie are going to realize something major is up and Vinnie will have to start calling the shots or Ansom is toast.

I seriously doubt the writers would frag the only person (so far) that could make this even remotely challenging in the end game.

To be honest, its Parson's turn for something to go wrong. After, of course, Parson does whatever he is going to do with his platter of doom.
    Curxzed
    Retired 95 Warrior
    Realm of Insanity
    EQ1

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoloWolf View Post
    ...that Vinny's gonna get croaked?
    Isn't he already?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think he likely will die, but far, far into the comic. I bet Ansom's alliance will dissolve if (when, really) they lose the battle of Gobwin Kwob, and somehow Vinnie will go from antagonist to protagonist.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curxzed View Post
    no way, Vinnie is Parson's only real competition.
    He isn't really all that good. His one strong point is his firm belief in Murphy's Law. He's always thinking: "What could go wrong?", and so he serves as a prosthesis for Ansom's lack of caution (as per the Cast Page). As far as actually making tactical and strategic plans, he is clearly inferior to Ansom, not to mention unspeakable Parson.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think Vinny is mostly intended to be a foil for both Ansom and Parson. He doesn't really have much in the way of staying power without Ansom, and I think it is likely that unless more background is provided for him, he will fade from the forefront of the story after the Battle for Gobwin Knob.

I think it is unlikely that he will be croaked-croaked (assuming he is actually among the uncroaked) but that he will simply fade into obscurity without further support for him to be a main character.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Freederick View Post
    He isn't really all that good. His one strong point is his firm belief in Murphy's Law. He's always thinking: "What could go wrong?", and so he serves as a prosthesis for Ansom's lack of caution (as per the Cast Page). As far as actually making tactical and strategic plans, he is clearly inferior to Ansom, not to mention unspeakable Parson.
    As I've posted in previous threads, Vinnie hasn't shown me any indication that he's a tactical planner at all.

And as Ansom walks into Parson's (presumed) trap, Vinnie didn't offer an alternate plan. He only observed that circling to the rear hex would use up nearly all of their move for the turn.

I don't think Parson has any competition for the moment.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Hammer View Post
    As I've posted in previous threads, Vinnie hasn't shown me any indication that he's a tactical planner at all.

And as Ansom walks into Parson's (presumed) trap, Vinnie didn't offer an alternate plan. He only observed that circling to the rear hex would use up nearly all of their move for the turn.
    He's shown a knack for identifying when something is wrong, and thinking through to what specifically is wrong, but hasn't (yet?) demonstrated the ability to come up with a better alternative beyond "don't do X; it's a bad idea".

That was sufficient for convincing Ansom not to fly into the initial trap, but isn't sufficient in general.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

ok, so maybe not competition, but apparently the only remotely competent thinker on Ansoms side. He at least figured out what was happening to the siege before the actual reports came in. He has good instincts.

It could also be that they have not had any competition from Stanley in so long they forgot they needed to be intelligent in their actions. Go play halo against some noob for a couple weeks straight then play against the current world champ and see how crappy you seem...
    Curxzed
    Retired 95 Warrior
    Realm of Insanity
    EQ1

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Vinnes toast

-but hes a classic vampire thats not goign to be a great problem-he gets to come back :)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't know if Vinnie will die, but if he does, I agree with Darthmario that it'll be far into the comic. I don't think we've really seen Vinnie at his best chance to shine. The thing is, no one has ever dealt with anything like Parson before in Erfworld, and Vinnie has shown himself to be the only person (that we know of) to be able to adapt himself to a non-conventional way of thinking. Of everyone we've seen, Vinnie is the only guy who has a chance of being able to stand up to Parson.