Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    Yeah, I'm voting for "MitD X: If I told you, you wouldn't believe me "
    Ditto...........

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Summon MitD IX: Roll on Section 3a

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Dragon View Post
    • Genies are perhaps the most famous granters of wishes, but do not usually grant their own wishes. They are typically shape-shifters and could be potentially strong, but neither have parents nor eat food, particularly moldy food. So no.
    What makes you think Genies don't have parents or eat food? Traditional genies are living creatures and act accordingly. Genies having children or relatives plays a prominent role in several of the Arabian Nights stories.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Summon MitD IX: Roll in Section 3a

I'll pile on the "MitD X: If I told you, you wouldn't believe me" bandwagon.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

tongue Re: Summon MitD IX: Roll in Section 3a

Quote Originally Posted by Vendanna View Post
    Then just a adding a link to the comic and adding. "Girard couldn't be the MitD since his skeleton is in there while the MitD is with team Evil? I could understand not removing other entries but C'mon the guys were inside the skeleton casket when the whole pyramid exploded and team evil Teleported in. That is actually Decisive proof that Girard Can't be the mitd.

Especially since if it where a Draketooth it WOULD have died on Aertha Familicide Spell.
    You must be new here. Anyone seriously proposing Girard would just argue 1) it is a relative's skeleton as Girard was a paranoid jerk and 2) the Familicide didn't affect him because he is an Epic Sorcerer and has a magic item to deflect it.

When it comes to the MITD I think the only fact even close to universal acceptance is that it exists in the comic but I still wouldn't be surprised if someone proposed 'figment of someone's/everyone's imagination'.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'm almost certain this idea has been long ago discussed and dismissed, but could some kind, understanding person please remind me of the "why" of it?

Why can't MitD be some kind of young dragon with a prehensile tail? Explains having powerful spells, being able to fly (leave tracks or not), being referred to as a "magnificent beast, but so small", extreme strength, and a lot of other stuff.

The things I can think of that could be used against the theory:

1) Belkar doesn't recognize the tracks. But that whole thing could be a red herring, since Belkar's bad tracking skill has been a running joke in the strip since almost the beginning.

2) People in SoD consider him (or her) "hideous, yet strangely beautiful". Could describe commoners' reactions to a young dragon, except for the being nauseated. I'm not sure exactly how important this is, since it is so far in the past. It's not *impossible* that people who had never seen a young dragon would be revulsed by it. Maybe dragon fear aura caused the revulsion? I've seen the "revulsion is not the same as fear" defense, but I don't see that as determinative.

3) Stomp attacks causing earthquakes, and other monstrous feats. I think people may be trying to adhere too closely to the rule books on these kinds of powers. I'm pretty sure the Giant has stated that he doesn't let the books limit him on his story, plus he's said it's a monster that can be guessed from classic lore. Most of the favored guesses here seem way too exotic to me, and things only someone who had studied the monster manuals would even know about. I know I have a background in D&D, and I've never even *heard* of the monsters in the currently favored guesses.

So, in conclusion, I'm sure there have been many compelling arguments to discredit the young dragon theory, but would someone please remind me? I can't find anything from a short scan of this huge thread.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Firbolg in the Playground

It is pretty unlikely that the generic wizard, and Xykon both would fail to recognize a dragon when they are in the Dungeons and Dragons universe. Also, dragons grow stronger as they grow older, and grow larger. Any dragon large enough to be strength 30 is larger than the MitD. As spellcasting progresses with age as well, its unlikely the MitD would be strong enough to teleport someone, and small enough to fit under the umbrella.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Summon MitD IX: Roll on Section 3a

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    What makes you think Genies don't have parents or eat food? Traditional genies are living creatures and act accordingly. Genies having children or relatives plays a prominent role in several of the Arabian Nights stories.
    You are right, the jinn in classic islamic tradition are people in the same category as humans and angels, and so do have children.

I was thinking more of the stereotypical westernized version, i.e. the genie in the bottle. Being trapped in there for thousands of years (and surviving) suggests to me that they do not need to eat (at least in bottled form).

Apparently, genie and jinn are no longer fully equivalent (see this interesting article explaining how the former developed out of the latter: www giantglacier com / the-origin-of-the-genie-in-the-lamp - sorry, cannot link yet).

- part real, part imaginary -

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Edit - Here's a homebrew one from 2010 http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...=1#post5305365 Still looking for the other one. I remember it had DR 5/magic and a 28 STR so they definitely were different versions and I feel like there was a 3rd, but I could be wrong about that.
    I normally don't look at homebrew (particularly for something of this nature - might if it was out before the comic started I suppose).

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Edit2 - Ah, found it. Looks like I was cheating slightly, its technically the "Golden Protector" which is a specific, named Lammasu rather than an actual Greater Lammasu, though the stats are in the ballpark of what you'd expect from a Greater Lammasu. Here it is. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lammasu.htm I still feel like there was a 3rd one, though. Hmm.
    Well the Golden Protector is just an normal Lammasu with the half-dragon template and the celestial template added I believe so not really what I would think as a comparable creature.

There might be one out there would just have involved me missing it but if there is I have clearly missed it (still I think we would likely agree that even if there was one that was Str 40 with a Supernatural ability to generate earthquakes and wish once a week - which the Ad&d one comes nowhere close to - it would be a tough sell for the MitD if for nothing else than its other anti-evil traits would prevent Xykon and Redcloak hanging around with it).

Seperately I have found a resource that might be very interesting for people that want to investigate other potential monsters from Ad&d.

Behold a Treasure Trove of Monsters - now with a working link
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2016-07-15 at 04:05 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1479

PaladinGuy

Since the new thread is being created, how about adding an index of the earlier threads, to make it easier to go back and check?

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

Strange, I thought there was one already, but I can't find it. Has it been deleted?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Since the new thread is being created, how about adding an index of the earlier threads, to make it easier to go back and check?
    It's on my to do list

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Thumbs up Re: Summon MitD IX: Roll on Section 3a

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Dragon View Post
    I have been lurking on these forums (and this thread in particular) for almost exactly 10 years (which may or may not be a record), so where else would I make my first post...

Quote Originally Posted by unbjorn View Post
    For the record, I think that MiTD is not a statted DnD monster. Instead I'd look towards other works of fiction or legend. But that's not a really a guess now is it.
    As a fellow long time lurker (I started following the comic/forums around when Miko was introduced) I'm particularly honoured that you chose my post as your point to leave the shadows drop your umbrella.

I did not have a lot of luck with classic western legends either. E.g. Grendel from Beowulf is strong, scary, and eats a lot, but as many legendary creatures is not 'one of those'
    We've gone down a similar path here too... I tried really hard with Grendel and the snark (or boojum or whatever) but just couldn't convince myself that they work. The 'one of these' clue is important, we are dealing with a class of creature.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Oh and I'm not sure if voting is still open for the new thread title, but I see the thread was already created and the correct choice was made.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought a good idea for the title might be something to do with the MitD deliberately painting the wrong doors, like "Monster in the Dark X: Doesn't Mark the Spot," but it seems the choice is overwhelming already.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I thought a good idea for the title might be something to do with the MitD deliberately painting the wrong doors, like "Monster in the Dark X: Doesn't Mark the Spot," but it seems the choice is overwhelming already.
    Well I did try:
    Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    MitD X(s): Unlikely to end the search
    Clearly not catchy enough.

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Hobgoblin Reveal?

Another vote for "MitD X: If I told you, you wouldn't believe me"
    And has anyone noticed that in strip #259, the hobgoblin apparently knows? This means MitD is something that a Hobgoblin can recognize with a "good look." Has anyone pointed out/ speculated about this before?

17. - Top - End - #1487

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Like "MitD X: Value of an Independent Variable"?

(Which was the pun in the title of that comic name.. x being the mathematical term for.. eh you can fill in the rest of the blanks)
    "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not possess a true sentient brain, like you or I, but rather a simple lump of nerve tissue that serves as a primitive "proto-brain" that can only process two emotional reactions to people: Hate or Lust."

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

d6 Re: Summon MitD IX: Roll in Section 3a

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Like "MitD X: Value of an Independent Variable"?
    Don't be ridiculous, it would need to be "Value of an Independent Random Variable".
    Last edited by unbjorn; 2016-07-15 at 10:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I normally don't look at homebrew (particularly for something of this nature - might if it was out before the comic started I suppose).

Well the Golden Protector is just an normal Lammasu with the half-dragon template and the celestial template added I believe so not really what I would think as a comparable creature.

There might be one out there would just have involved me missing it but if there is I have clearly missed it (still I think we would likely agree that even if there was one that was Str 40 with a Supernatural ability to generate earthquakes and wish once a week - which the Ad&d one comes nowhere close to - it would be a tough sell for the MitD if for nothing else than its other anti-evil traits would prevent Xykon and Redcloak hanging around with it).

Seperately I have found a resource that might be very interesting for people that want to investigate other potential monsters from Ad&d.

Behold a Treasure Trove of Monsters - now with a working link
    Oh, sure. Something being homebrew or templated is a pretty substantial minus but isn't automatically exclusionary. The key point being the whole "something that someone else made" point. If something's homebrew, but its publicly posted in a prominent spot, then its at least something that someone other than Rich invented. If this had gotten far enough to be a serious candidate, then those would have been serious concerns, but it didn't get far enough for that to even be a factor.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    The Giant is proposed so frequently that he belongs to section 3b, sadly. (Update: maybe if someone suggests it again, I should tell them that they must be the MitD, because they also behave childishly and don't like to think.)
    Thinking about this with the following list you might be half onto something.
    1) Has a plausible explanation for the Escape: Can occassionally move others positions - but rarely.
    2) Has a plausible explanation for the Tower (both his attack and his defence): Occassionally pokes holes in things without trying to.
    3) Has a plausible explanation for the Circus (both his act, and the reactions): Can sometimes be disturbing, and other times awesome.
    4) Isn't one of the impossible categories (unless it is an exception): Not in and impossible categories (I don't think).
    5) Existed before strip #100 in a form accessible to Rich: Certainly.
    6) Size no bigger than Huge ("fits in the box"): Yes - depending on storage.
    7) Is vulnerable to mind-affecting effects (SoD): We can only assume so.

Could the MitD be the anthropomorphised forum?

And because it likely needs to be stated not a serious suggestion (from me at least) but think it could match most things if we wanted it to.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Titan in the Playground

The new thread is open for business here. Please continue your discussions there. I'll try to add the version history and a few other odds and ends soon.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Pixie in the Playground

OK, just a bit of a fly-by suggestion that probably belongs more in the light-hearted box then elsewhere. However, still a few interesting intersections.
    1. Miko's attacks initially surprise/distress MitD (look at facial expressions) but then 'tickle'. What if this tickle is actually a healing factor?
    2. What if MitD actually did hit Miko lightly? But is affected by a field that reverses actions. What would be the result if you tried actively identifying a creature in such a field? What if a creature draped in such a field wanted nothing more then to be revealed to the world?
    3. In SoD what world context is the MitD found/caught during? A horse may be fairly common but if I saw a horse walking through a city I certainly wouldn't be expecting it. If I'm racist and don't expect a foreigner to speak english I might remark on it. If I'm at war with such a beings species I might even put it on display...
    4. Disgust can be caused by confusion, so can many other reactions.
    5. If a being can heal to a higher HP total then it started with, might it not also have a new size greater then may be expected for one of its race?
    6. Goblinoids seem mighty unimpressed, accepting or even attracted to MitD...almost like its one of them. (goblin attraction rule)

I leave you with just one final word...
    nilbog
    BWHAHAHAHAHA!!! Once seen, can't be unseen :D

Final thoughts: nilbog couldnt consume RC whole, also mindcontrol issues. During the escape xycons close enough to be affected by the reverse field but how does 'meteor' become 'teleport' particularly troublesome because MitD specifically says 'ESCAPE'. Fixes?... could a goblinoid ride a mount that could explain these shortcomings?

23. - Top - End - #1493

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by AceHigh View Post
    OK, just a bit of a fly-by suggestion that probably belongs more in the light-hearted box then elsewhere. However, still a few interesting intersections.
    1. Miko's attacks initially surprise/distress MitD (look at facial expressions) but then 'tickle'. What if this tickle is actually a healing factor?
    2. What if MitD actually did hit Miko lightly? But is affected by a field that reverses actions. What would be the result if you tried actively identifying a creature in such a field? What if a creature draped in such a field wanted nothing more then to be revealed to the world?
    3. In SoD what world context is the MitD found/caught during? A horse may be fairly common but if I saw a horse walking through a city I certainly wouldn't be expecting it. If I'm racist and don't expect a foreigner to speak english I might remark on it. If I'm at war with such a beings species I might even put it on display...
    4. Disgust can be caused by confusion, so can many other reactions.
    5. If a being can heal to a higher HP total then it started with, might it not also have a new size greater then may be expected for one of its race?
    6. Goblinoids seem mighty unimpressed, accepting or even attracted to MitD...almost like its one of them. (goblin attraction rule)

I leave you with just one final word...
    nilbog
    BWHAHAHAHAHA!!! Once seen, can't be unseen :D

Final thoughts: nilbog couldnt consume RC whole, also mindcontrol issues. During the escape xycons close enough to be affected by the reverse field but how does 'meteor' become 'teleport' particularly troublesome because MitD specifically says 'ESCAPE'. Fixes?... could a goblinoid ride a mount that could explain these shortcomings?
    You're in the wrong thread, the current one has been running for almost Three months already.
    Also, nilbog has been suggested previously but never been deemed a good enough fit to go on the list IIRC.

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't believe this will be my first post after almost ten years away. You have Couatl listed twice in section 3b(?). Don't have anything else to add, sorry.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

25. - Top - End - #1495

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Can't believe this will be my first post after almost ten years away. You have Couatl listed twice in section 3b(?). Don't have anything else to add, sorry.
    This is an old thread, the current one can be found here. Incidentally, as far as I can tell the current thread only lists the Couatl once.

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: The MitD thread is dead. Long live the MitD thread!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2