New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [BitPRē] OOCVII: In Soviet Russia, Zanpakutou Names YOU!!

"They say that this isn't just a war anymore; it's the war. It's the last one that really matters, and the last one that will ever matter."

~ Anonymous Shinigami trooper, Killed-in-Action by Low-Level Hollow.

50 years ago, following the most ferocious assault on the Seireitei in history, the Menos vanished. Those few not slaughtered retreated back into the wastes of Hueco Mundo, licking their wounds and struck with an unshakeable fear of the Gods of Death. Their sworn enemies routed, the Shinigami slowly relaxed their guards as the final battle gave way to apparent peace, a true victory. Over sized and under worked, the Gotei 13 diminished to the Gotei 6 as the threat of the Menos seemed ever more distant every day. Many of the older captains left for retirement or were called to Squad Zero, as their presence was no longer required.

Then, the Menos struck again.

Under the command of a new, more patient leader, the Menos raised a great city, Las Noches, from the sands of Hueco Mundo, building their strength. For fifty years, they watched. Waited. Prepared. And when the time came, they struck. The forces of Las Noches ravaged the Outer Districts of the Rukongai, slaughtering their inhabitants and annihilating the Shinigami forces sent to stop them. Caught unawares against the mightiest army sent against them in more than a millennium, the Shinigami found themselves on the losing end of a vicious war.

And yet, the Menos themselves were not so united as they seemed. On the precipice of victory, Dainichi Nyoria, the Hollow King, was struck down by his foremost warrior, the Primera Espada Jehoel Yurius, and the war was pulled to a sudden halt. The Espada, now the ruling council of Las Noches, offered the Seireitei an unprecedented deal: peace in exchange for cooperation and recognition. Baffled, but with few other viable options, the Shinigami accepted the truce offered by Las Noches, and the Gotei has begun working with the Armada in order to purify spirits when possible and capture the resulting Hollows for rehabilitation when not. Despite concerns from both sides, the arrangement has thus far proven highly effective.

Yet, all is not well.

In the Seireitei, the former Captain Commander revealed herself to be an insane being of godlike power, claiming her identity as Izanami, one of the founders of the Seireitei...and the first Hollow. After her latest outburst she has remained dormant for weeks in her creation, the artificial arm of Hiraku Masaru, but it is only a matter of time before she acts once more.

The Mortal World, too, has its share of troubles. The Cult of the First Hollow King is rising in power; the Court is nearly freed in its entirety, and only the King himself remains in captivity. Any attempt to combat the Cult has been a dismal failure, and they have eluded capture or defeat by both the Shinigami and the Armada despite staging a daring attack on the Seireitei itself. The King's freedom seems inevitable; and from there, only the Cult itself knows what is to come.

The Quincy, too, stand divided. While they know not the details, the existence of the Shinigami-Arrancar alliance is becoming obviously clear to the various houses, and all have a different idea of how to proceed. After a daring assassination by the scheming Moto clan, the Akiyama clan has been decapitated and weakened, removing the restraining bolt that has kept the Quincy clans peaceful. Der Zerreißen Himmel Entwicklung, a violent human supremacist group, has arisen to prominence. At the same time, the resilient Anderson clan has entered into the alliance with Las Noches and the Seireitei, and Civil War has been all but declared. Although vastly outnumbered, the Andersons possess the backing of both the Armada and the Court Guard squads, along with an ace: the Seichten Streiks, a prototype bow allowing them to purify their enemies.

Mikael Esaja Rautiainen, perhaps the most powerful Medium in history, has gone to Las Noches. The actions of the disillusioned medium remain to be seen, but when he acts...the world will be forced to answer in turn.

Meanwhile, the city of Ikari has become an astonishing cluster of promising Mediums. And they might just change the course of history...if they can survive the endless assaults of Alpha-1, the Quincy superweapon that has taken control of their friend.

More recently, Der Zerreißen Himmel Entwicklung's assault on Las Noches ended in disaster, necessitating a surrender by the survivors before they could flee to earth. Who would have guessed Von Geister himself would arrive at their welcoming party?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to BiTP:R2. This is a bit different, because we keep dying due to lack of action, lack of conflict, et cetera.

A few things before we begin.

You may be:

• A Shinigami.
    • A Hollow.
    • A spiritually powered mortal.

Here is an example of a low-powered foot soldier.

John Smith
    Spoiler
    Show

Height: Average.
    Weight: Average.
    Side: Seireitei.

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show

The most generic of everymen.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As generic as generic can get.

Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show

John is handy with a pike, and has some talent with Kido. Overall, he's pretty average.

[Write a bunch of stuff your character can do here. The more specific the better!]

Race Specific Add-ons:[spoiler]
    Shinigami
    Spoiler
    Show

Zanpakuto:
    Spoiler
    Show

Example

Name: Muramasa

Release Command: "March, Muramasa!"

Appearance: An average sized katana, with a blade as black as the night sky. It faintly glints in the moonlight.

Shikai:
    Spoiler
    Show

Appearance: The blade does not change, but the wielder gains a spectral cloak that floats around him/her.

Abilities: The wielder can now control up to eight nearby dead bodies, manipulating them to his/her will. The bodies retain full use of their abilities from life, and only stop when the wielder releases them from their tormented awakening.

Bankai: <NOTE: Most likely not applicable for anyone, even captains. You're a wartime Captain, a rapid promotion who has no real experience.>
    Spoiler
    Show

Appearance:

Abilities:

Arrancar:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zanpakuto:
    Spoiler
    Show

Example

Name: Carpe Jugulum

Release Command: "Strike, Carpe Jugulum!"

Appearance: A small but sinister looking dagger.

Resurreccion:
    Spoiler
    Show

Appearance: The wielder is covered in armor, his/her eyes only barely visible beneath their new, three horned mask. They grow to a massive size, and their hands and feet can now work in unison in order to strike an opponent.

Abilities: The wielder has an exceedingly keen eye, able to strike with uncanny accuracy. They most often focus on the throat.

Segunda Etapa: <NOTE: Rare Rare Rare. Very few people can have this, unless they justify it really well.>
    Spoiler
    Show

Appearance:

Abilities:

Da Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

Firstly, no godmodding (or godmoding). A far better explanation of godmodding than I can give is here.
    Second, please remember that we plan to have a far more directed plot than Nexus. Please run any major spanners in the works past guys on this thread first.
    Third, don't ruin anyone else's fun. I can't stress this enough.
    Fourth, have fun!

New and Improved (but loose) Rules v.1.1!
    These "rules" are more loose guidelines that serve another FFRPG very well so I adopted them into this one, because they work.

1. Consider asking to join in fights before jumping in.
      Please respect that all plots might not be open. Alternatively, if you yourself want to keep a fight cordoned off from other participants, say so in the OOC, at the beginning of your post, or both.
    2. TALK major fights over with your opponent!
      This is to keep arguments about who's the better fighter, who should win, blablablablabla, out of the OOC. Of course, talk these things over in PM, or some kind of IM service. While arguments might break out over said PM/IM... It keeps it out of the OOC. Which is what we're trying to do here. On that note...
    3. Don't argue in the OOC!
      They make the atmosphere oppressive, they make things less fun, and generally unpleasant and maybe even make the arguments larger than they need be. So, if you have a problem with someone, try to talk it out in PM or IM before using the OOC.

These guidelines/loose rules might be viable to change or be added on to as issues come up, but the bases are covered pretty well.

Shamelessly stolen from our last OOC write-up, which was better than anything original I could have done.

Important Links
    •OOC Thread 1
    •IC Thread (Spirit World), (Mortal World)
    •Character Registry

A summary of the plot by Kuroimaken

Episodes:
    Episode 1
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 4
    Episode 5
    Episode 6
    Episode 7
    Episode 8
    Episode 9
    Episode 10

Gaiden
    Gaiden Episode 1
    Gaiden Episode 2
    Gaiden: Waiting for the punchline/ W is not for Double!
    Episode from Hell: the Ripper
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

There, that's a copy-paste of the last OOC thread's opening, but with some editing to bring it up to the current state of things, let me know what improvements need making, and I'll get around to them.
    Last edited by TherianTheorist; 2016-08-25 at 06:26 PM.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPRē] OOCVII: In Soviet Russia, Zanpakutou Names YOU!!

Huh, pretty sure there was one more Gaiden episode, but what the hey.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Check mark.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Tracking post.

Not sure what to do right no unless somebody with a char in Las Noches wants to stumble across Sarah while she's trying to figure out a way around the place.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmmm, where's KerfuffleMach2? She could interact with Sarah.

Or cardrian, don't you have a minor Las Noches character too? Bring them back.

I am, personally, waiting for Von Geister's reaction.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2016-05-21 at 05:45 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Masaru is not please though since I'm sure he'll come out looking like a powerless chump in this exchange it won't even matter, but whatevs.

Just trying to keep things moving.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I have so much to say on that, but there's a good chance I'll get to say a lot of it IC, so I'll bite my tongue untill Naito and Ersch have reacted.

Inside the castle, I'm waiting for Torahiko and Framme.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Still don't feel like I have a meaningful contribution to make in the Mortal World thread, struggling to give 2 rips about what's going on at this point.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

You're making me chew my own tongue off at this rate. Please, just have Masaru do something.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    You're making me chew my own tongue off at this rate. Please, just have Masaru do something.
    He did something. Was that sufficient?

11. - Top - End - #11

Where are you expecting this to go, Frozen?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

In Las Noches? Well, since Sarah didn't take the easy way out, she's stuck in Las Noches untill she either trusts someone or someone appears to take her by force. I'm using the bunch of misfits to basically show how the city is now. I wouldn't mind skipping ahead a day or two to when Sarah's come to grips with her situation.

13. - Top - End - #13

Okay.

There may or may not be an explosion at some point though.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So....just so I'm clear....Mikael just back-to-back no-sold 1.) the most potent attack of a Shinigami Captain's Bankai, and 2.) a fully-charged Cero from Von Geister in Resureccion.

Is that correct?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

That seems to be the case, yes.

Incidentally, Frozen, I call bull**** on that instructor at the hospital, if for no other reason than Zaraki Kenpachi. You know, the guy who OOZES REIATSU WHEN SOMEONE TAKES HIS EYEPATCH OFF. Which shows that, in canon, there are ways to deal with power incontinence.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

16. - Top - End - #16

Zaraki Kenpachi is both a Shinigami Captain and too powerful to make any attempt at imprisonment or elimination worth the collateral damage. He has both status and convenience on his side. Ryouma has neither.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Zaraki Kenpachi is also a murdering psychopath of a loose cannon whereas Ryouma at least won't bully those weaker than him and has chosen isolation over potentially harming those around him.

Besides, if the issue is his Reiatsu control, then a simple device like Kenpachi's eyepatch would suffice.

It's kind of a shame Masaru isn't around, he could probably point out it's a waste to imprison the guy when he could be working for Gotei instead.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2016-05-31 at 09:31 AM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Welcome to the wonderful world of bureaucracy. Status matters much more than morality. It's also worth noting that Kenpachi isn't much of a bully, albeit out of disinterest rather than benevolence.

Ryouma working for the Gotei was also literally the first thing that was suggested. The low level employees Ryouma's working with don't have the authority to cut him a better deal than he's already getting.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I think a better way to frame the current issue/scene with Ryouma is that the 2 parties involved are speaking on different "wavelengths". The point about Masaru being present is that he could serve as something of an "interpreter" in each direction. He could likely explain the usefulness of at least some Academy training to Ryouma in a way that's more palatable and not so condescending, while suggesting to the bureaucrats that perhaps they could look at an altered and accelerated program, to take into consideration the fact that this guy clearly has at least some idea of how a lot of things work.

The issue is that right now the folks talking to Ryouma are treating him like he's genuinely stupid, when what he actually is is uneducated. He simply doesn't have the accumulated knowledge and such that they do, but is clearly capable of functioning intellectually just as much as any other Shinigami (albeit likely not a genius-level intellect). He can grasp concepts, it seems, but right now his frame of reference is such that he's struggling to assign value to a lot of the things these folks are talking about, as he's found a fair bit of comfort in his own existence thus far.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

...their deal is literally "work for us under our terms or be imprisoned" (even though the latter part wasn't mentioned, Ryouma isn't stupid. He knows they have enough on him to put him away, even if he didn't start anything he would be charged with.)

Kenpachi also obtained status based on a law that isn't applicable right now (especially since Masaru abolished it).

Theoretically, IntSec would be responsible for imprisoning him, but seeing as I play the IntSec Captain, I'd rather not advocate on behalf of a character of mine using another character who can literally offer him a better deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    I think a better way to frame the current issue/scene with Ryouma is that the 2 parties involved are speaking on different "wavelengths". The point about Masaru being present is that he could serve as something of an "interpreter" in each direction. He could likely explain the usefulness of at least some Academy training to Ryouma in a way that's more palatable and not so condescending, while suggesting to the bureaucrats that perhaps they could look at an altered and accelerated program, to take into consideration the fact that this guy clearly has at least some idea of how a lot of things work.

The issue is that right now the folks talking to Ryouma are treating him like he's genuinely stupid, when what he actually is is uneducated. He simply doesn't have the accumulated knowledge and such that they do, but is clearly capable of functioning intellectually just as much as any other Shinigami (albeit likely not a genius-level intellect). He can grasp concepts, it seems, but right now his frame of reference is such that he's struggling to assign value to a lot of the things these folks are talking about, as he's found a fair bit of comfort in his own existence thus far.
    This pretty much sums it up. In addition, Ryouma would be partially more advanced in some areas while being completely inept in others (he learned Shunpou on his own and got Shikai through trial and error, after all, but he probably can't cast Kidou worth a damn). Although, maybe it wouldn't take a Captain to point that out. Wouldn't an assessment by a sufficiently high-ranking official in the Combat Division (likely from the Brute squad) help in such a case?

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...their deal is literally "work for us under our terms or be imprisoned" (even though the latter part wasn't mentioned, Ryouma isn't stupid. He knows they have enough on him to put him away, even if he didn't start anything he would be charged with.)

Kenpachi also obtained status based on a law that isn't applicable right now (especially since Masaru abolished it).

Theoretically, IntSec would be responsible for imprisoning him, but seeing as I play the IntSec Captain, I'd rather not advocate on behalf of a character of mine using another character who can literally offer him a better deal.
    Ryouma is an extremely dangerous loose cannon; a functional legal system doesn't work off of "even though I'm a catastrophic security risk, I won't do anything bad, I promise." Someone in Ryouma's situation isn't supposed to exist in the first place, and he's going to be difficult to slot into society as-is.

Which only further emphasizes the difference between the two situations, really.

A respectable position, especially given the circumstances.

Spoiler
    Show

This pretty much hits the nail on the head, I think.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

So....just so I'm clear....Mikael just back-to-back no-sold 1.) the most potent attack of a Shinigami Captain's Bankai, and 2.) a fully-charged Cero from Von Geister in Resureccion.

Is that correct?
    No for 1), yes for 2).

If Mikael had no-sold Masaru's attack, he wouldn't be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    That seems to be the case, yes.

Incidentally, Frozen, I call bull**** on that instructor at the hospital, if for no other reason than Zaraki Kenpachi. You know, the guy who OOZES REIATSU WHEN SOMEONE TAKES HIS EYEPATCH OFF. Which shows that, in canon, there are ways to deal with power incontinence.
    Um, there is, indeed, canonical way of dealing with power incontinence. It is literally called a limiter, and it is what the instructor is referring to. It's what Shinigami above Lieutenant level ordinarily use while patrolling Earth. Ryouma is excused for not knowing this, you are not.

Also, you bringing up Zaraki is hilarious because we know Unohana was about to murder him for being a criminal and failed because she was weaker. Zaraki's case also happened in an earlier age when Gotei were implied to be a bunch of murderous thugs.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Incorrect on both accounts. Limiters are pushed onto Lieutenant and above-ranked members of Gotei to minimize collateral damage as well as to help them keep their presences hidden away. They still have access to their powers, however. It's a nozzle, not a lock. Even so, it is demonstrated that Captains and Lieutenants don't ooze Reiatsu all over the place.

Kenpachi, however, LITERALLY cannot keep his Reiatsu from overflowing if the eyepatch is removed. That is power incontinence.

Unohana could have potentially killed Kenpachi before, and she chose not to. She didn't kill him because she was weaker but rather because she held back. And we know for a fact that Yamamoto (and possibly Shunsuke) was on a level where he could kill Kenpachi BEFORE he joined the Gotei (he was around already by the time Kenpachi joined after all).

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Your criticism falls really flat here. It was spelled out when limiters were introduced that they exist to prevent Reiatsu from powerful Shinigami affecting mortals. The principle is exactly the same as with Zaraki's eyepatch; that Zaraki chooses to, or has to, wear a limiter even in Soul Society is due to his special nature.

EDIT: really, half of what your complaint is thinking the instructor is saying something he isn't.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2016-05-31 at 10:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

No for 1), yes for 2).

If Mikael had no-sold Masaru's attack, he wouldn't be burning.
    Said burning seems to be doing absolutely nothing to slow him down (well I guess he's naked but that's not really a big deal overall for combat power or the like), and in fact seems to be being used as a combat enhancement. Which...still seems pretty no-sell.

Um, there is, indeed, canonical way of dealing with power incontinence. It is literally called a limiter, and it is what the instructor is referring to. It's what Shinigami above Lieutenant level ordinarily use while patrolling Earth. Ryouma is excused for not knowing this, you are not.

Also, you bringing up Zaraki is hilarious because we know Unohana was about to murder him for being a criminal and failed because she was weaker. Zaraki's case also happened in an earlier age when Gotei were implied to be a bunch of murderous thugs.
    Look, the point is right now Ryouma and the nameless NPCs are going around in circles because they're talking past each other, at least somewhat due to different frames of reference.

I think this is a situation where the question needs to be asked: What are each of you trying to accomplish here? What's the end goal?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

The instructor's goal is making sure Ryouma understands what enrolling and not enrolling mean for him.

That's all there is in it for me. I have no preference on what Ryouma chooses or why.

EDIT: oh, yeah. Kuroi, is Margrave coming with Sagarosso? You omitted his reaction from your posts.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2016-05-31 at 11:11 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Said burning seems to be doing absolutely nothing to slow him down (well I guess he's naked but that's not really a big deal overall for combat power or the like), and in fact seems to be being used as a combat enhancement. Which...still seems pretty no-sell.

Look, the point is right now Ryouma and the nameless NPCs are going around in circles because they're talking past each other, at least somewhat due to different frames of reference.

I think this is a situation where the question needs to be asked: What are each of you trying to accomplish here? What's the end goal?
    Ryouma's goal is to get his life back on track, which apparently mostly involves living in the woods like a bear and occasionally drinking terribly poisonous concoctions or obscene quantities of alcohol to amuse himself. No one is thinking to give him a purpose; they're saying "you do this or you're screwed because we say so" and he couldn't give a rat's ass about that (he does not follow any authority he does not respect).

And yes, Margrave is coming with.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Anyone appropriate (mostly the mortal world kids at this point) can feel free to jump in the episode, at first though I'd like it to keep to the mortal cast.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    Anyone appropriate (mostly the mortal world kids at this point) can feel free to jump in the episode, at first though I'd like it to keep to the mortal cast.
    So, uh....is this the Bad End, basically? Just trying to understand context so I can properly write an In Media Res intro/post.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

That is more or less the intent!
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!