New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: What is your Phobia?

I kind of agree with the sunscreen. Anything that's kinda pasty and comes out of a tube just weirdos me the heck out. Which has made hygiene a tough issue my whole life, because I hate being dirty, but the only cleaning products available are slimy and gross XD

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kio View Post
    I kind of agree with the sunscreen. Anything that's kinda pasty and comes out of a tube just weirdos me the heck out. Which has made hygiene a tough issue my whole life, because I hate being dirty, but the only cleaning products available are slimy and gross XD
    Toothpaste weirds you out?
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I get pretty messed up by heights, spiders, and deep murky water. But the thing that really gets my heart racing is when I hear noises that sound like they're made by something intelligent (such as breathing, foot steps, or even the intentional or unintentional movement of objects that shouldn't move on their own.) and I know that I'm the only one around. Just gives me a sinking feeling in my stomach, even though it doesn't bother me as much as I used to.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Halfling in the Playground

Other people and heights. I'm just fine climbing anything up to an essentially arbitrary height, but seeing anyone else near an edge that's even five or six feet tall seizes me with the utmost dread.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

I have a strong phobia for spiders. (Who doesn't?)
    Also for the deep sea and space.
    A shameful phobia of dolls.

And (this is linked to space and the sea) a phobia for gods, cosmic entities, giant monsters. Note: I don't believe these exist. Yet i can't watch drawings of these without instantly putting it away. (Thanks Lovecraft.) It's fun to write horror stories about though.

And heights. Can't forget that classic.
    Last edited by LordVonSteiner; 2017-01-09 at 02:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

Cats and mouses

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I have a massive problem with insects and arachnids, which is a strange cross between fear and aggression (one time I tried to dropkick a spider, if you can believe that). I do also have a slight fear of the dark, but nowadays it isn't too bad so long as I'm not suddenly plunged into the inky blackness of an unlit room at night.
    Currently daydreaming about: big giant swords.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I used to be terribly phobic of spiders. But very, very slowly I grew accustomed to the idea that they're always around, and they eat flies, which are objectively more harmful/dangerous than almost all spiders, and now I can accept most of them.

I'm fine with the ones that have small bodies and long, fine legs, which is the commonest type around here. The ones with larger bodies, which scuttle about and jump - those still give me the creeps to some extent, although not so much that I can't handle them. (When you're the head of a family, you don't get the luxury of "not being able to deal with things". At the very least, I can either kill them or throw them out of the house.)
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

I used to be deathly afraid of seriously powerful thunderstorms, mostly out of concern for tornadoes. Now that I live in a place that has really big storms but no real risk of tornadoes I've mellowed out but I can't say honestly I wouldn't revert if I moved back to somewhere where that's a concern.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

mirrors. because i see wierd stuff. dont question it.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Bees. When I was two or three years old, I was playing in the driveway and I got stung on the throat by a bee. It started to swell up so bad that I began suffocating. The obvious conclusion is that I was deathly allergic to them. I've been stung a few times after that it's never been that serious, but still knowing that I almost died at an absurdly young age because of that kinda haunts me whenever I see them buzzing about their day.

Also cockroaches because they freak me the hell out, though at least I moved to a part of the US that they don't inhabit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traab
    Yeah, its actually a downgrade for him because at first level he only had to be lawful.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

Funnily enough, I love snakes, spiders, crocodiles, toads, all those animals people are usually afraid of, but can't handle Pigs.

When i was a kid we lived in Papua New Guinea and my dad was a government vet. One day he took little 7 or 8-year-old me to a pig farm and we had to walk in between the stalls where these enormous, loud and smelly creatures were kept, and as we walked, they would hurl themselves at the sides of the stalls, thinking, maybe, that we were going to feed them.
    We also lived on a cocoa plantation while there, and there were wild boars in the plantation. i still remember the talk our parents would give me and my brothers before we went for a walk in the plantation, about if we ran into a wild boar, to turn and walk casually away, and if it charged, to climb the fence or a tree and to 'help your little brother climb' as he was only 4/5. And i remember all the times we did run into wild boars and how HUGE and horrifying they were.

So now pigs, even little domestic piglets like Babe, put my teeth on edge and make me break out in a sweat.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Water where I can't find the floor/ground. Effing terrifying.
    If violence wasn't the last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
    A soft answer turneth away Wrath. Once Wrath looks away, shoot it in the head.
    The longer everything goes to plan, the bigger the impending disaster.
    Those who spell rogue 'rouge' will be the first to go when I am overlord.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhovianBeast View Post
    Water where I can't find the floor/ground. Effing terrifying.
    Yeah, fair enough.
    I've been on a few short cruises, and I remember one time walking around when it was dark and there was nobody around.

I was suddenly very much aware that there were quite possibly kilometers of pitch black water beneath me, lurking in which could be almost anything.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

15. - Top - End - #135

1. Heights
    2. Mirrors in the dark
    3. Closet doors
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Yeah, fair enough.
    I've been on a few short cruises, and I remember one time walking around when it was dark and there was nobody around.

I was suddenly very much aware that there were quite possibly kilometers of pitch black water beneath me, lurking in which could be almost anything.

I'm fine with being ON boats, even small ones in coastal ocean waves, but if I'm in deep water with or without a life jacket, I'm most definitely not fine.
    Last edited by WhovianBeast; 2017-01-20 at 08:05 PM.
    If violence wasn't the last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
    A soft answer turneth away Wrath. Once Wrath looks away, shoot it in the head.
    The longer everything goes to plan, the bigger the impending disaster.
    Those who spell rogue 'rouge' will be the first to go when I am overlord.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Spiders. Especially small ones. I've held big ones in my hands while in a Spiderman costume. 'But Ravens Cry!' you all type, why small spiders? Why not big ones?'
    Well, I am glad you asked, as I will tell you.
    It's because they could be on you, and you might not even know it!
    Also, watching me walk through a spiderweb is hilarious fun . . . for everyone else.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2017-01-20 at 10:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

For me, it's insects and other arthropods in general. The bigger and fatter they are, and the faster and more unpredictable they move, the less I like them. Of course, there are some more or less random exceptions: I have no problem with crustaceans. Also common house flies, because those things are so ubiquitous, and cellar spiders, because they never ever leave their web under the ceiling.

Too bad I live alone, so whenever a big ol' bug enters my apartment, I have to fight an epic battle of life and death, one versus one, woman versus monstrosity.

Also, injection needles and the deep, dark ocean make me uncomfortable, but I couldn't call that a phobia.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

My only personal phobia 'Heights' not the distance from the ground but a perception of instability. I have no problem looking over a steep drop -IF- the footing is solid...

Visit the Grand Canyon and lean out past the safety rails? No problem. Step up in a chair and if it sway or flexes I start sweating bullets. The anxiety gets worse the higher off the ground and the less solid it feels under my body. It has gotten so bad that in fact my body refuses to cooperate climbing any higher (a pseudo-nervous paralysis where my legs locked and I could step down but struggle as I might I could not raise my foot an inch from the step to go higher).

Working around the house on a 8' aluminum ladder I brace my feet and lock them against the ladders frame so you could more easily knock the ladder over than you could drag me off it, resulting in such muscle tension that 5 minutes on a ladder drains me as much as 30 minutes of the heaviest exertion.

20. - Top - End - #140

1. Phones. Phones, microphones, radios, anything I have to talk into. No idea why and it started sometime after I finished high school, if the phone would ring my heart would start racing, if nobody else picked it up immediately I would break down crying. I would hyperventilate at the prospect of having to make a phonecall. Didnt help that my birds at the time all started imitating the sound of a phone ringing. I've gotten a lot better with it these days, still cant stand it but my boss of my last job was really patient with me when I had to make phonecalls, and I started regularly getting on discord to talk with just 1-2 people at a time on voicechat to get myself used to it.

2. ....Aliens. Not sure where this one came from either, I let my imagination get the better of me sometimes. When I used to have my bed next to the window and would leave it open at night, I'd stare outside at the sky as I was falling asleep and would just imagine seeing a UFO flying by or something, then would freak myself out so much I had to hide under my blankets. I try to expose myself to more (scary) sci fi media nowadays in an attempt to desensitize myself to it.

3. Roaches. I can handle snakes and spiders (See: Australian), but cockroaches just freak me out beyond belief. Wetas are right up there too whenever I've gone to New Zealand to visit family, I blame my dad for telling me various horrible stories about them when I was a little kid that may or may not have been true.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

21. - Top - End - #141

My most major phobia is needles. They terrify me.
    I was mostly ok, until due to a hockey (the real one, not the one on ice!) injury, I needed to go to hospital and have an operation. The procedural injections were bad enough, but the block given for anaesthetic was the most painful in my life.

I also have minor fears of wasps and heights, but needles make me go crazy.
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Played as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close to the sun

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...

22. - Top - End - #142
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Bees....Just.....NOT THE BEES!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

The Left Big toe.

24. - Top - End - #144

I have a phobia of blood.

It is called blood injury phobia. I won't give a detailed description of this phobia, because anyone of you can Google it.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

I dunno if its technically a phobia, but I really don't like talking to people on the phone unless its someone I know really well. If I have to call a business or something I always have to kind of psych myself up for it first, or sometimes I find myself procrastinating just because I don't want to talk on the phone... :\

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I fear the ocean (you'd be surprised at what could maul your face off before you drown), but part of that is that I don't know how to swim...

Oh, and I also fear injuries larger than a scratch or a splinter. I mean, what do you do if you're not a doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Pregnancy. Most particularly, getting pregnant
    I also fear getting pregnant as a guy . However, having kids might be worse
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2018-05-06 at 02:22 PM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have haemophobia (fear of blood). Seeing people bleeding, or pools of blood, gives me the heebie-jeebies.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm not afraid of blood, but I do feel faint when I see it or hear someone talking about it. I've actually fainted on four occasions.

I'm also afraid of golems. Specifically those woven from yarn, and infused with dark energy.

Basically thread necromancy.