New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default What is your Phobia?

Hello! So, I was sitting in my room, and I was wondering about something, and that turned into something else, which finally ended up with me thinking about my very irrational phobias. I have three, that are really funny, but true for me.
    #1: The fear of spiders. I know that is called arachnophobia, and I know many people who have it as well. When I see a spider, I pull back, and I just can't think straight. When it moves, it makes me very nervous.
    #2: (Don't laugh), the fear of Farris Wheels. When I was a little kid, I used to go on all the rides, except one. I had no problem going on roller coaster, but when I was one the Ferris Wheel, I always would feel SO unstable, especially when it gets close to the top. Does anyone know what the fear of Ferris Wheels are? Please tell me if so.
    #3: (I am dead serious about this one)... Sunscreen... It is not that I am scared of it exactly. I won't be worried if someone holds up a bottle of sunscreen. It's just when I apply it to my skin, it bothers me, and makes me shudder. I feel like it digs so deep into my skin, that I would never be able to get it out. Again, I have never heard anyone have the same problem, so if anyone knows, what is the fear of sunscreen called?

Finally, share some of your phobias here. What type of fears do you have?
    "A man and a woman are trapped by a all-powerful deity in two different dice. I don't think it was a relationship problem..."

- From My Very First Adventure

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What is your Phobia?

Snakes. To hell with snakes. If I was Dr. Jones, Ark of the Covenant woulda stayed in the Well of Souls.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I could quite happily live in a world where spiders are not and were never a thing.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have a phobia of worms. Not just worm actually. Maggots, caterpilars. Ugh, even typing them give me the creeps. But once they turned to bugs it's okay. Snakes are also okay. Centipedes are okay. It isn't really logical, really. Basically, if I saw something squiggling in my drinking water, I will check. Does it have legs? If there is, it's okay, it's just a bug. If there's not, I'll kill myself.

This was quite problematic because I used to work subtitling, and one thing I used to subtitled a lot was the show Fear Factor. And they quite like to make the contestants swim in ****ing worms or such. **** them. Subtitling those shows was torture, I have to take break often (usually to puke). A trick was to tape cover to the middle part of my screen, so only the lower part where the subtitle appear that I can directly manipulate are shown. Those were the days.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

5. - Top - End - #5

That sounds kind of cool, actually. How do you get a job subtitling?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I apply ?

It's the usual office job. I saw job opening on job site, sent my cv, got invited for test and interview, and such. The company I work on use freelance translators, but the actual subtitling job is done in-house.

I'm still in the company actually, but I'm now supervisor instead of doing actual subtitling. So I don't have to deal with those worms again.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

7. - Top - End - #7

Well, imean, yeah. I just don't even know what kind of company does subtitles. I imagine it'd be the production company, since that makes the most sense, I just never really thought of it before.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

My phobias are:

1. Mirrors in the dark. I used to have nightmares about them.

2. Heights.

3. Water - specifically, putting my head under. I think it's because I nearly drowned in a spa pool when I was two years old.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dogs. I'm every bit as afraid of dogs as a lot of people are of spiders, and -- while I am constantly trying to work on it -- that's often a big problem for me. There are other things that make me uneasy, but I'm not sure that any of them amount to a full-blown phobia other than this one.
    Last edited by Remmirath; 2016-05-21 at 07:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Bees. Anything that flies and stings freaks me out, really. Even just hearing a fly buzzing around puts me on edge.

I used to be afraid of thunder, too, but that's faded as I've aged.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I'm deathly afraid of not have a $1 million bank balance. Take heed, lottery officials of the world!
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Pregnancy. Most particularly, getting pregnant
    Heights. Uncontrolled heights - an extension of this is, for some reason, flying kites
    exposure therapy fixed my previous needle phobia.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Heights is the only serious phobia that comes to mind. Being up high isn't a huge problem, I guess, but the possibility of falling. Flying in an airplane is fine, but climbing up a rickety spiral staircase to get to the top of a zipline tower has left me catatonic about halfway up. Rollercoasters are fine once I get past the first hill, but the whole way up I'm always shaking from the fear.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    I'm deathly afraid of not have a $1 million bank balance. Take heed, lottery officials of the world!
    I can arrange a paper sack with $35,000 to be left in your driveway.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I can arrange a paper sack with $35,000 to be left in your driveway.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the only phobia I have is heights. I'm not sure I'd even call it a full blown phobia though because I can do roller coasters and spiral stair cases and look out planes just fine. I do, however, get vertigo something fierce when I'm forced to look down over a long ledge, like a cliffside or on the railings of a balcony.

I'd also say that I have a fear of water, aka drowning, but its more that I'm a terrible swimmer and fat, and all I end up doing is floating, and its just not really that enjoyable to me.

Spiders are fine.

I just don't really care for dogs, but I do like the large lumbering docile ones.

I think a fear of needles is in there... I've just learned to combat it by not looking at it when they put it in.

So, heights, water/drowning, and needles.

Perhaps fear itself? I never liked scary movies. Screw jump scares and slow build up psychological horror.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

That Man will exist forever.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Starfish.

Seriously, those things creep me out. Those subtle, neverending creeping legs. Look up a time lapse clip of starfish creeping on the ocean floor. It absolutely has something zombie-like.
    Even worse is how and what they eat (mainly mussels). Now, mussels can of course not move. They can only trust in the strength of their shells. Starfish "hunt" them - they creep closer and closer sloooooowly, and when they reach the mussel, they slooooooowly wriggle open their shell. Then they put in their stomach inside out and digest the mussel while still alive!
    A group of starfish can massacre an entire mussel colony (up to thousands) in a few days.

It just has too high a level of Borg or Zombie. There's nothing you can do. Resistance is futile. You can only wait while they creep closer. Just close your eyes and let yourself be digested.

Brr.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a weird one that I can't fully explain. When I was younger, we had this short series of books that were probably 50 pages or less each, each about a specific aspect of space. Each planet, our moon, whatever. One was called something like "Phasars, quasars, and black holes". It was full of very colorful images of these types of things. Now, I know that all this stuff, in reality, is very colorless, and that the images are changed to add the color. But ever since I was young, I've been unable to look at very colorful images of space. I mean, a real-life image of Earth, fine. Animated stuff like Futurama? Fine ,and also hilarious. But all those colorful gases and galaxies and stuff, I have to look away. If I don't, I get this weird feeling that I can't in any way explain. I call it a fear, because I don't know what else it could be, and it has prevented me from reading certain articles that I might otherwise find interesting.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Closed Account

Butterflies.
    Don't ask.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I used to be deathly scared of the dark. That's gone now, but it's been replaced by a really weird reaction I get with needles. I'm fine whilst it's in; doesn't bother me that much, but the instant it gets removed I go really light headed. Fainted once, now I really hate needles in general.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

No phobias. A few serious dislikes, like spiders, heights, enclosed spaces, but no actual phobias.

Not like a friend of mine who is a genuine arachnophobe, who will literally shriek at the sight of spiders and run out of the room. This also applies to daddy-longlegs because they look sufficiently arachnomorphic. He can stand to look at them if he knows where they are ahead of time and has a window between them, but even this is very uncomfortable for him.

Or my girlfriend who is spheksophobic, though recovering. She will freeze in panic if they come close and try to exit the area if they aren't. Though bees and bumblebees are fine, until she can identify them as being not-wasp, she's in full freeze mode. Shutting herself in another room while home alone in hopes it will fly out is not unheard of. She's getting better, but it has been a hard slog.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Spiders, and most recently I get really nervous/short of breath/lightly dizzy when I travel up steep mountains that I can clearly see the drop-offs of. It's weird because I've never had this issue before, AND I live on top of a mountain(said issue does not trigger on my mountain).

Other then that, a few dislikes, but nothing to the point of irrationality.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Heights :(
    SW fan

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Mine is definitely heights. I can't stand on a chair if there isn't someone to aid me down. Nowadays I can go to some higher places if I know I'm safe and sound behind a glass or something, but it still affects me alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

26. - Top - End - #26

I don't like spiders and heights, but I don't think it's at real phobia levels.

I consider fear of heights (to some extent) to be fairly rational, because falling can genuinely kill you (and every year a couple of people in my city die or get injured because they weren't suitably afraid of heights when walking the cliffs around this city).

My fear of spiders is irrational, though, because I've never lived in countries with actually dangerous spiders.

I don't like needles, but I'm becoming a bit better at dealing with them. I handled my last blood test really well, but in high school I almost fainted after I did a blood test on myself for Biology class.

When I was younger I was really afraid of dangerous chemicals. Acid, poison, stuff like that. I didn't even like to read or hear about them - and I was even uncomfortable if I had to pass the aisle with cleaning articles at the supermarket. Now it's faded into more rational levels - I still don't like to use really strong chemicals, but I consider that pretty rational from both a personal safety and environmental safety point of view.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Corlindale View Post
    I consider fear of heights (to some extent) to be fairly rational, because falling can genuinely kill you (and every year a couple of people in my city die or get injured because they weren't suitably afraid of heights when walking the cliffs around this city).
    I don't think fear of heights means what you think. Like, I won't get near a slippery rock cliff by a waterfall, because i know risk. But I have no problem looking out from the Empire State Building. Similarly, I would not want to be near a live crocodile without some sort of safety mechanism, but I can watch Lake Placid without feeling the least bit squeamish. But I can't watch Snakes on a Plane or Anaconda without being seriously creeped the **** out.

Healthy fears are just that; healthy. They make sense, most people have them, and most people are reasonable about them. Phobias, even if they make sense at some level, are far more intense.

28. - Top - End - #28

My fear of heights is tied to the risk I perceive of falling down, but the reason it might veer a bit into phobia territory is that I sometimes overestimate said risk. Even with a very tall fence between me and a drop off, I will sometimes think "what if someone bumped into me really hard and I somehow managed to topple over the fence? Better move a bit further away!".

I have absolutely no problem with being on an airplane, however.

29. - Top - End - #29

My fear of heights is tied to the risk I perceive of falling down, but the reason it might veer a bit into phobia territory is that I sometimes overestimate said risk. Even with a very tall fence between me and a drop off, I will sometimes think "what if someone bumped into me really hard and I somehow managed to topple over the fence? Better move a bit further away!".

I have absolutely no problem with being on an airplane, however.
    Man, I know how you mean, and it's weird. If I look out the window of a really tll skyscraper, and look straight down, i feel more apprehension than if I look down an airplane window from thousands of feet up.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Cliffs? In Denmark?

Anyway, heights is probably not the problem, it's not having solid ground underneath my feet, which includes airplanes. Strange thing is, when I was a kid I had no problems with airplanes. Now I find them distinctly unpleasant.