New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XX: Endothermic Life Forms Are Inherently Heretical

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Spoiler: Sneak Gate
    Show
    This is sounding a bit less of "Heterodyne Boys" and more of "Gil and Wooster-crossed-with-Tarvek".
    Spoiler
    Show
    Or maybe having Barry paired up with the High Priestess in all the Heterodyne plays has more basis in fact than realized..

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Aldin needs to explain the concept of "need to know" to somebody--or get a Spark to invent a sonic device that mutes out anything his brother is saying.

It seems that Aldin is coming up against that thing all librarians run into (sooner more often than later): There are a lot of things that aren't covered on the job description.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

It gets easier and easier to understand why everyone liked the books of poor Mr-im incapable of lying-Aldin

It sounds like those books had a lot of other things besides action and drama..
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wait, Aldin is a man? I thought he was a robustly built woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Poor Violetta! I knew she would take it badly if Zardilev wasn't being forced to cooperate with Madwa.

Would Bang be as excited to see Aldin again as she was with Tarvek? Does Aldin get captured so much because deep down he really wants to be?

6. - Top - End - #36

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Would Bang be as excited to see Aldin again as she was with Tarvek?
    I doubt they ever met. Remember, Bang hasn't been a freelance pirate since shortly before the beginning of the comic at the earliest. I can't recall the official estimates of time's passage within the comic offhand, but factoring in the timeskip I'd be surprised if Bang's been capturing heroes in the last three years. How long have the Hoffman Boys been adventuring?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

And Agatha engages in some necessary and well deserved ego-boosting...

I'm rather disappointed opening the door is not a major event involving the kind of Rube Goldberg, massive movement of giant locking mechanisms that put the fear of God in everyone, Spark or not. This, this seems kind of ... anti-climatic.

Although maybe it's what's on the other side that's stunning.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Aldin is probably a few years older than Gil. Jim shouldn't be much younger. I wouldn't rule out Aldin adventuring even before Tarvek and Gil started. Jim could have started tagging along pretty early and could have been adventuring (or at least getting in trouble) already when Tarvek and Gil were doing it. Keep in mind that Gil left college at about the same age that people normally graduate from high school, so the fact that Jim is still in school a few years later doesn't mean that he's that much younger than Gil.

9. - Top - End - #39

PirateCaptain

Aldin is probably a few years older than Gil. Jim shouldn't be much younger. I wouldn't rule out Aldin adventuring even before Tarvek and Gil started. Jim could have started tagging along pretty early and could have been adventuring (or at least getting in trouble) already when Tarvek and Gil were doing it. Keep in mind that Gil left college at about the same age that people normally graduate from high school, so the fact that Jim is still in school a few years later doesn't mean that he's that much younger than Gil.
    I'll grant you the point of Gil's early graduation, but I'm not sure where you're getting Aldin being older than Gil from and I find it very unlikely that he was adventuring before Jim started dragging him along, what with his general hatred of adventuring and all.

10. - Top - End - #40

SamuraiGuy

Aldin is beginning to look more and more like he's actually no more capable than Jim is. He tries to pretend he's serious and cautious, but it's starting to sound like he's not as careful as he pretends.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Aldin is beginning to look more and more like he's actually no more capable than Jim is. He tries to pretend he's serious and cautious, but it's starting to sound like he's not as careful as he pretends.
    I just think he is like zola only minus the desire to get involved in adventures. Basically, he is a massive trouble magnet. He clearly needs to work on his appearance and body language as there has to be something telling everyone "Kidnap me! Its easy!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I'll grant you the point of Gil's early graduation, but I'm not sure where you're getting Aldin being older than Gil from and I find it very unlikely that he was adventuring before Jim started dragging him along, what with his general hatred of adventuring and all.
    I'm thinking that Gil is about 22 or 23 years old now. I don't know how long Aldin has been working at the library, but if he graduated from college at the normal age and has been working at the library for more than a year, he would have to be older than Gil. At the top end, I don't see any reason why Aldin couldn't be in his late twenties.

I think that Aldin complains a lot, but is nearly as likely to do something as dumb and adventurous as Jim is. I got the impression that Aldin had more experience than Jim and if so, he must have started earlier.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My first thought regarding Aldin's "getting captured" thing was "lucky guy".

Nice that the helmet makes the adventure boring easier. It's always good when things have more than one use.
    But should it produce steam? Right next to the head? I'm not sure if that is healthy in the long run. Oh well, as long as it is only temporary.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't try to work out a time line; Girl Genius has time travel. So Bang is Aldin & Hoffman's mother after fertilizationn from Gil & Tarvek.

SCIENCE!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

15. - Top - End - #45

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Don't try to work out a time line; Girl Genius has time travel. So Bang is Aldin & Hoffman's mother after fertilizationn from Gil & Tarvek.
    Or Captain Vole?
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

16. - Top - End - #46

Griffon

Really, considering the resemblance these two have with Gil and Tarvek and that meddling with time travel is a major theme in this story, I'm just going to assume they are descendants from the future, until proven otherwise.
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-05-26 at 05:22 AM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Probably an art mistake, if you look carefully it's present in the next panel.
    Not an art mistake, it's just that Madwa had not finished painting that detail yet in the former panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Well, there's being naturally careful and cautious, and then there's being dragged into adventure by your younger brother who may be a Spark but certainly is a whackjob who rushes in where even Gentleman Adventurers would fear to tread. Under those staid clothes he also appears to be a hunk who pirate queens and evil princesses (good princesses, too, maybe) lust after and can't resist putting in revealing costumes. If he is naturally staid and careful and cautious, all this would REALLY be upsetting.

Also, he IS the one cracking open a massively complex lock, so he's obviously got some capacities. And whatever he and Larana are after is important enough he's willing to ignore the danger to get it.

19. - Top - End - #49

Aldin paper doll in 3...2...1...

20. - Top - End - #50

BlueWizardGirl

Hoffmann.

Tales of Hoffmann.

Oh, dear, it took me long enough to catch onto that.
    Edited to add:

Famous last words by Sparks and those who deal with them: "But, what's all that other stuff?"

Famous words last heard by Sparks and those who deal with them: "Ah! Don't go in!"
    Last edited by Ellen; 2016-05-26 at 11:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

AssassinGuy

Clifhanger friday, again
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

22. - Top - End - #52

PirateCaptain

I'm guessing Madwa's disguised herself as Prende. It would explain why it isn't in the notebook and is the kind of impossible stunt one would expect from a master smoke knight.

23. - Top - End - #53

SamuraiGuy

Laranda is wise - she's got a grip on Hoffman to keep him right where he is. Don't want him to announce "Hey, I'm bored" again ....

It appears that someone has invented the microwave oven.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm guessing Madwa's disguised herself as Prende. It would explain why it isn't in the notebook and is the kind of impossible stunt one would expect from a master smoke knight.
    That could be. Or maybe it's just what she wants them to think.

25. - Top - End - #55

SamuraiGuy

That could be. Or maybe it's just what she wants them to think.
    I'm going to go with the idea that if Madwa could have gone inside the unopened vault, she would have gone in to get what they wanted. Therefore while she's good, she's not that good. Also, hanging around 3 smoke knights sworn to kill you on sight sounds unhealthy, even if you're All That. Plus Jim is wearing a Spark-device that lets people see things they shouldn't see. I think Madwa is at whatever she thinks minimum safe distance is, observing.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Woo-hoo. The room IS what's impressive!

The back wall looks kind of crude. Could it be sealing off entry into another chamber?

What's that up on the ceiling?

Also, if Prende's been sealed away for centuries, that means her clothes were probably trashed like that before the door was closed. It looks like she had a rough time of it. I wonder if that's her 'brain' in the bell jar that the Lamp seems to be powering.

I see a couple of problems. For one, I would imagine the other two Smoke Knights, Dimo, and Zeetha have set up a perimeter and are making sure Madwa doesn't get close to Agatha and the vault. Also, I don't think we've ever seen Smoke Knights able to use that level of disguise. And she would have had to have disguised herself ahead of time and moved in in those few seconds when the vault was opening, even though she would have had no idea what was on the other side. Not to mention just sitting there she's a target for hostile fire...

Besides, Mawda strikes me as a 'come up behind someone invisibly, stab them in the back multiple times with a poisoned knife' girl.

27. - Top - End - #57

I also disagree. It's far more likely Violetta recognized some bit of tech in the room as being dangerous.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Or, going by Occam's Razor, there's some time shenanigans going on inside the room. No need to get trapped in the room too long to do any good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Or, going by Occam's Razor, there's some time shenanigans going on inside the room. No need to get trapped in the room too long to do any good.
    Smoke knights can literally appear and disappear in between eye blinks while people are attacking them. Doing a quick sprint to boobytrap the entrance right after its opened before the norms can spot you would be childs play. Im not saying that IS what happened, im just saying these are smoke knights and they are really really disturbingly good at what they do. It wouldnt surprise me if mono filament laser wire (laser because science!) was strung across the entrance at just the right place to chop head tiny bits.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

30. - Top - End - #60

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I don't think Occam's Razor works well in Sparkland. If you have two, equally possible options:

1) A Spark has just invented the movie projector and accidentally created some vivid images in the street (with maybe some electric zapping as a side effect).

2) The walls of time have just been breached and you have just seen the evil clank who has some of your (possibly) dead mother's mind downloaded into but may also have dreen brains. This even is part of a time paradox that will activate your latent sparkiness and may have resulted in your mother going psycho and may DESTROY THE WORLD!!!!

You know which one of these two will turn out to be the correct one.

In Agatha's world, the simplest answer is ALWAYS THE WRONG ONE!