New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default My Deity Pantheon (Aka, how to steal things on an immense degree)

I have basically stolen from a number of different pantheons around the world, dnd, pathfinder, native american culture, Greek, Mesopotamian etc pokemon, to create an amalgamated pantheon that has a little bit of everything.

Very Basically, I treated the universe like a company, and I looked at what jobs need to be covered. That is how I came up with the current pantheon system. AO is the CEO, the elder gods are managers of different departments, and the gods themselves are the workers.

Basic Idea of the pantheons:
    The elemental pantheon shapes and creates the worlds, while the material pantheon rules over monsters and creatures who live in those worlds. The life pantheon creates "blessed" races (those races lucky enough to have a soul) and they populate worlds with those races. Those races need something to live for, so the passion pantheon gives inspiration and goals to the blessed races, while the temptation pantheon separates the weak from the strong. Once the blessed races die, they are taken care of, judged, and sent to their final destination by the death pantheon. The knowledge pantheon basically keeps an eye on creation, and studies how everything occurs and interacts. The balance pantheon tries to maintain neutrality in the material universe, so once force of good, chaos, evil or law does not upset the balance.

AO
    (The overgod, the one above all)
    AO is the mysterious force beyond the universe and all its separate dimensions. It is said that not only is the multiverse under AO's control, but that every atom in the universe is literally part of AO's being.

Elder Gods:
    Each elder god is in charge of a separate pantheon. Each pantheon has a "goal" in the universe, and the gods within that pantheon take care of different jobs inside that pantheon.

Baccob (Knowledge Pantheon)
    Gaia (Material Pantheon)
    Aether (Elemental Pantheon)
    Lady Death (Death Pantheon)
    Enoch (Life Pantheon)
    Ra (Balance Pantheon)
    Zeus (Passion Pantheon)
    Gilgamesh (Temptation Pantheon)

Gods: (Separated by Pantheon)
    Each god has 3-ish demigods working for them

Knowledge Pantheon
    A group of gods concerned with learning about the universe, and being keepers and masters of that knowledge.

Cernunnos- God of biology
    Hermes- The god of alchemy and chemistry
    Thoth- The God of numbers and counting
    Imhotep- God of physics and architecture
    Wu Tao -God of healing, medicine, and health
    Buddha- God of philosophy and high thought
    Tyr- God of strategy
    Hephaestus- God of crafting
    Irori- God of History
    Shenron- God of Wishes
    Vecna- Keeper of dark secrets
    Fate- God of the coming appocalypse

Material Pantheon
    Masters of those who live in different areas. The mountains, sea, land etc. They tend to live and roam in the material realm.

Anuket- Master of sea monsters, creatures and beings
    Barclaw- Master of mountain and underdark creatures, monsters and beings
    Thor- Master of all who can fly, God of weather.
    Loa- Mother and creator of all monsters
    Artemis- Mother of all animals and beasts
    Hercules-Tamer of all Beasts, Monsters and Abominations
    Vovosunt- Master of the sky and stars, and all those who live in space

Elemental Pantheon
    The sculptors of Worlds, masters of elementals.

Tetran- God of Earth. Sculptor of land masses and mountains
    Pele- God of Fire. Creator of molten rock and volcanoes.
    Quetzalcoatl- God of Air. Producer of atmosphere and air.
    Poseidon God of the sea, filler of lakes and oceans
    Pelor God of Light/Positive Energy, maker of stars
    Toldoth God of Dark/Negative Energy
    Arceus God of Magic, drawer of magical fields and leylines.

Death Pantheon
    The Garbage dump of the universe, they receive, organised, and send souls to their final destination.

Wee Jas- Harvester of Good souls
    Grim- Harvester of Evil souls
    Charon- Ferryman of souls, takes souls to their final destination
    Hades- Keeper of lost or unwanted souls
    Satan- Punisher of rejected souls
    Urgathoa- Mother off all undead
    Anubis- Judge of Souls, chooses final destination

*Council of death- Part of the death pantheon, they decide the cause of death of all beings in the material realm

Baron-Samedi- Council of death/ Disease
    Sin- Council of death/ Disaster
    Khronus- Council of death/ Age
    Thanos- Council of death/ Violence
    Jynx- Council of death/ Accidents
    Eitera- Council of death/ Toxins
    Cthulhu- Council of Death/ Madness
    Yog-Sothoth- Council of death/ Sorrow
    Ithaqua- Council of death/ Famine

Temptation Pantheon
    The Temptation pantheon exists to separate the weak from the strong. Beings who are truly great can resist temptation, those who are not cannot.

Kratos- God of Wrath
    Abaddon- God of Sloth
    Cthugha- God of Gluttony
    Lucifer- God of Pride
    Asmodeus- God of Lust
    Beelzebub- God of Envy
    Mammon- God of Greed

Life Pantheon
    Creators and protectors of the "blessed races". The chosen races of the gods

Corellon Larethian- Creator of Elf souls
    Yondalla- Creator of Halfling souls
    Garl Glittergold- Creator of Gnome souls
    Pan- Creator of Faeries and fey souls
    Baulder- Creator of Warforged souls
    Yahweh- Creator of Human souls
    Gruumsh- Creator of Orc souls
    Moradin- Creator of Dwarf souls
    Bahamut- Creator of good dragon souls
    Tiamat- Creator of evil dragon souls
    Annam- Creator of Titan souls
    Lolth- Creator of Drow souls

Passion Pantheon
    The pantheon that gives the blessed races reasons to live and thrive. They inspire them to achieve greatness.

Aphrodite- God of Love
    Bast- God of Beauty
    Apollo- God of Art
    Spirit of the West- God of Adventure
    Ollerus- God of Contests and glory
    Cassia- God of Pleasure
    Morpheus- God of Dreams
    Ares- God of War
    Dionysus- God of food and drink
    Abadar- God of wealth and riches

Balance Pantheon
    This pantheon contains gods that embody certain alignments, and work to promote their alignment.

Heironeous God of Good (Lawful Good)
    Ilmater God of Good (Chaotic Good)
    Jesus God of Good (Neutral Good)

Loviatar God of Evil (Neutral Evil)
    Myrkul God of Evil (Lawful Evil)
    Orcus God of Evil (Chaotic Evil)

Heimdall God of Law (Lawful Good)
    Eunomia God of Law (Lawful Evil)
    Mayaheine God of Law (Lawful Neutral)

Coyote God of Chaos (Chaotic Good)
    Nyarlathotep God of Chaos (Chaotic Evil)
    Loki God of Chaos (Chaotic Neutral)

Nethys God of Neutrality (True Neutral)

Also, my homebrewish god system, sill a work in process:

AO: Utterly invincible, dont even try it.

Elder Gods: Usually have level 20 in 3 base classes, plus 20 levels of divine

Gods: Depending on the god, they can be lesser, intermediate, or greater gods. Gods usually have level 20 in 2 base classes and 10-19 levels in divine

Demigods: Have level 20 in one base class, 1-9 levels in divine.

Avatars: Magical/psychic projections of a god. They lose their levels of divine when they are projecting an avatar. Avatars become simple mortals, and are only as powerful as their levels in classes.

Mechanical
    No Divine Bonus
    Simply the total of normal class levels.
    Mortal

Demigods: (Divine level 1-9)
    +10 HP per level of divine
    DR-5/Epic
    +1 AC each level of divine
    +2 bonus points per divine level to be added to ability scores
    -Bonus to skill rolls equal to levels of divine
    +5 bonus skill points per level of divine

Lesser Gods: (Divine level 10-12)
    -Can support up to 10 Avatars at any one time
    +20 HP per level of divine
    DR-10/Epic
    +10 AC
    +4 bonus points per divine level to be added to ability scores
    -Demigods have divine level of 3

Intermediate Gods: (Divine level 13-15)
    -Can support up to 50 Avatars at any one time
    +30 HP per level of divine
    DR-20/Epic
    +15
    +6 bonus points per divine level to be added to ability scores
    All damage is always maximized
    -Demigods have divine level of 5

Greater Gods: (Divine level 16-19)
    -Can support up to 100 Avatars at any one time
    +50 HP per level of divine
    DR-30/Epic
    +20 AC
    +1 AC each level of divine
    +8 bonus points per divine level to be added to ability scores
    -All damage rolls are maximized and doubled
    -Demigods have divine level of 7

Elder Gods: (Divine level 20)
    -Can support 1000 Avatars at any one time.
    +100 HP per level of divine
    DR-50/Epic
    +30 AC
    +10 bonus points per divine level to be added to ability scores
    -All damage rolls automatically critical, with double the maximized damage.
    -Demigods have divine level of 9

Flavorful
    Have no divine levels, only have powers contained within their class levels.
    Need to eat, drink, and sleep. All other god levels do not. Avatars can also age and die, unlike others.

Demigods:
    These lesser, half-gods cannot grant spells or imbue power onto others. They cannot perform feats or grant prayers. They gain benefits from their divine levels, but besides that they gain no extra abilities besides race and class abilities.
    They have telepathic communication with their god across any distance. If their god gives them an order, they must follow it. They can be sent to any place in the miltiverse by their god.

Lesser Gods:
    -Can hear the prayers of all their worshippers, and have a general knowledge of the well being of their worshippers.
    -Can grant prayers if it is within their portfolio. *
    -Automatically sense any event that involves their duties in a pantheon or effects 1000 or more people.
    -Can remotely communicate with any of its followers or worshippers.
    -Can teleport to any point within a mile of its temple, worshippers or shrines
    -The Greater deity can alter the gravity, elements, magic, time and physical matter anywhere within 30 feet of itself.
    -Have perfect hearing and sight of everything within one mile of themselves
    -They can block the sensing abilities of any other god of their level or lower within 1 mile of themselves.
    -Can polymorph into any being or animal
    -Can perform acts to fulfil their roll in a pantheon up to a 9th level spell or lower.
    -Domain is equal to a number of square miles equal to their divine level.

Intermediate Gods:
    -Can hear the prayers of all their worshippers, and have a sense of all within 1 mile of any worshipper, temple or shrine of theirs.
    -Automatically sense any event that involves their duties in a pantheon or effects 500 or more people.
    -Can teleport to any point within 5 miles of its temple, worshippers or shrines
    -The Greater deity can alter the gravity, elements, magic, time and physical matter anywhere within 100 feet of itself.
    -Can create any type of non-magical matter, or non-magical objects, and any magic item worth 10,000 or less gold.
    -Have perfect hearing and sight of everything within 5 miles of themselves
    -They can block the sensing abilities of any other god of their level or lower within 5 miles of themselves.
    -Can perform acts to fulfil their roll in a pantheon up to a 9th level spell or lower.
    -Domain is equal to a number of square miles equal to three times their divine level.

Greater Gods:
    -Can hear the prayers of all their worshippers, and have a sense of all within 5 miles of any worshipper, temple or shrine of theirs.
    -Automatically sense any event that involves their duties in a pantheon or effects 100 or more people.
    -Can teleport to any point within 10 miles of its temple, worshippers or shrines
    -The Greater deity can alter the gravity, elements, magic, time and physical matter anywhere within 1 mile of itself.
    -Can create any type of non-magical matter, or non-magical objects, and any magic item worth 50,000 or less gold.
    -Have perfect hearing and sight of everything within 10 miles of themselves
    -They can block the sensing abilities of any other god of their level or lower within 10 miles of themselves.
    -Domain is equal to a number of square miles equal to ten times times their divine level.

Elder Gods:
    -Can hear the prayers of all their worshippers, and have a sense of all within 10 miles of any worshipper, temple or shrine of theirs.
    -Automatically sense any event that involves their duties in a pantheon or effects 20 or more people.
    -Can teleport to any point within 100 miles of its temple, worshippers or shrines
    -The Elder deity can alter the gravity, elements, magic, time and physical matter anywhere within 10 miles of itself.
    -Can create any type of non-magical matter, or non-magical objects, and any magic item.
    -Have perfect hearing and sight of everything within 10 miles of themselves
    -They can block the sensing abilities of any other god of their level or lower within 10 miles of themselves.
    -Domain is equal to a number of square miles equal to 100 times their divine level.
    Last edited by 341gerbig; 2016-05-22 at 12:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: My Deity Pantheon (Aka, how to steal things on an immense degree)

You... Put some work and thought into this... I like you. Applause.

No idea if I would ever snatch such a system for my own use, but I'll keep it tabbed in a favorites folder for later review and inspiration!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am awed by how boldly you steal and weave into this interesting system. Assuming all the gods are as close to their original forms as possible you've got the most gloriously tangled kitchen sink setting to be made upon this earth, and that's without figuring out how gods interact within their own pantheon.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: My Deity Pantheon (Aka, how to steal things on an immense degree)

It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by GorinichSerpant View Post
    I am awed by how boldly you steal and weave into this interesting system. Assuming all the gods are as close to their original forms as possible you've got the most gloriously tangled kitchen sink setting to be made upon this earth, and that's without figuring out how gods interact within their own pantheon.

Yea, with a lot of this, it felt like hammering square pegs into round holes. But I made adjustments.

Basically none of the gods are connected to their old systems, Zeus has no connection to the other greek gods etc. But they generally have the same sort of personalities, wants, needs, desires. With mindless, uncontrollable destruction machines like Sin and Cthulhu, i needed to bring them to a more agreeable and cognitive level while trying to maintain their original flavor.

I actually have a "god guide" page made up for each of these gods. Telling basics about the god, his demigods, powers, guides for players etc. Ill post an example below:

Okay, I guess I dont have enough posts to post images. If anyone wants to post it for me, ill send them the links.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

May I please see the God page. . . Yahweh v.s Gruumsh would be an awesome battle.