New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Spell traps

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Spell traps

Alright so recently I found out about spells traps http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm
    and at first glance it looks broken but then I realized this:
    Each spell used in trap +500 gp × caster level × spell level, +40 XP × caster level × spell level

EACH spell not each spell of a different type

so 2 cure light wounds? that's 2 spells that will go off and even with a reset after those 2 spells it's over

unless there is some book that clarifies that part I don't see how it's broken at all

that's hugely expensive in gp and XP if you put 50 spells in it(like 50 wand charges) that will go off before it finishes.

to support my point normal resetting traps require 20 doses or 30 doses etc and after resetting so many times then it's out of those doses..

as for spells after the spells goes of those 4-5 times then it stoppes going off even after it resets

does anyone of of clarification?
    Last edited by Monk of love; 2016-05-23 at 05:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Spell traps

Quote Originally Posted by Monk of love View Post
    Alright so recently I found out about spells traps http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm
    and at first glance it looks broken but then I realized this:
    Each spell used in trap +500 gp × caster level × spell level, +40 XP × caster level × spell level

EACH spell not each spell of a different type

so 2 cure light wounds? that's 2 spells that will go off and even with a reset after those 2 spells it's over

unless there is some book that clarifies that part I don't see how it's broken at all

that's hugely expensive in gp and XP if you put 50 spells in it(like 50 wand charges) that will go off before it finishes.

to support my point normal resetting traps require 20 doses or 30 doses etc and after resetting so many times then it's out of those doses..

as for spells after the spells goes of those 4-5 times then it stoppes going off even after it resets

does anyone of of clarification?
    It does say 'each spell' in the table, but that's referring to the possibility of additional triggering spells (or more than one trap spell). The ten times modifier cost (X40 instead of X4) accounts for the spell automatically resetting indefinitely.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    It does say 'each spell' in the table, but that's referring to the possibility of additional triggering spells (or more than one trap spell). The ten times modifier cost (X40 instead of X4) accounts for the spell automatically resetting indefinitely.

Alright so I understand the resetting factor cost but where does it state that the reference is to that of additional triggering spells? and where does it state reset indefinitely?

it simply states each spell and nowhere does it states it's referring to something else or that it resets infinitely to make it worse non magical traps actually state that for each reset you need another dose so all I have to go on according to traps is that it consumes spells like a wand.
    Last edited by Monk of love; 2016-05-23 at 06:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Monk of love View Post
    Alright so I understand the resetting factor cost but where does it state that the reference is to that of additional triggering spells? and where does it state reset indefinitely?
    It references the possibility of additional triggering spells just above the cost table.

As for resetting indefinitely, it's more that it doesn't set a limit for how many times it can reset.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    It references the possibility of additional triggering spells just above the cost table.

As for resetting indefinitely, it's more that it doesn't set a limit for how many times it can reset.

I see so nowhere does it state it can reset infinitely though?

My main reason is that a player is wanting to create one (I know the cheese of it) but after reading it unless it states it does reset infinitely regardless of it saying it doesn't define a limit then I'm going to just make it similiar to a wand where it will reset for however many spells you put into it.

I read the DMG as well and it's like they just skipped a clear definition of "reset" for a magical trap oh well.
    Last edited by Monk of love; 2016-05-23 at 06:58 AM.