New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Interesting Deities for Clerics

I recently noticed that some deities grant their Clerics special abilities at seemingly no cost other than choosing them as their deity. A lot of these are insignificant and/or niche, but some of them are quite good, like a pet monstrous spider (that spider deity from legends and lore) or a bunch of SLA's (that sky deity from Dragon #67 or so).

Has anyone found any other particularly good abilities?
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2016-05-24 at 06:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Best Deity for Clerics

What game are you talking about?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    For example I could respond that it depends on edition - in 2nd Ed nearly all the statted deities had random gift/geas tables with some gifts requireing multiple roles. For 3rd Ed pretty much only Yelmalio still had that, Humakt haad fixed gifts-geas combinations and none of the other deities still had gifts and geas at all. (This is Chaosium/Avalon Hill RuneQuest if you are wondering.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    same question

it's AD&D, but which one? The answer is also going to depend on what you want the cleric to do, what you liek to play (or want to try out), what cultures are present/allowed in the game, the game's setting, and even the XP rules used (2e clerics optionally get bonus XP for spells cast that further their deity's interests).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Also are we going Cleric only or are we including specialty priests? For instance in the FR there are some 2e specialty priests that are amazing such as priests of Mask (pocket thief and a cleric), Tempus (pocket warrior and priest), and Mystra (has access to almost all spheres and can get pseudo access to level 5 and below wizard spells relatively easily).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

I'm talking about 1e; sorry for the confusion.
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    "No" means "yes".
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by CE DM View Post
    same question

it's AD&D, but which one? The answer is also going to depend on what you want the cleric to do, what you liek to play (or want to try out), what cultures are present/allowed in the game, the game's setting, and even the XP rules used (2e clerics optionally get bonus XP for spells cast that further their deity's interests).
    I'm really just looking for any unique, powerful, and/or interesting abilities granted by AD&D (1e) deities.
    "No" means "yes".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Trying to min-max in AD&D 1ed is a lot like trying to carry water in a strainer. It's relatively pointless in the end.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    I'm really just looking for any unique, powerful, and/or interesting abilities granted by AD&D (1e) deities.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Trying to min-max in AD&D 1ed is a lot like trying to carry water in a strainer. It's relatively pointless in the end.
    lost huge post, WHY?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    It's less "min-maxing" and more "looking for nifty stuff".

For example, one thing I found in my search is that any Non-Evil, Non-Lawful Elf can shout a certain deity's (from Dragon Magazine #60, I forgot its name) name while falling to get a 2% chance to receive a Featherfall on the way down, as well as a Geas and one other spell (IIRC). They don't even have to be a worshipper!
    "No" means "yes".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hmmm...

My advice is to consider upgrading to AD&D 2ed, and include the Skills & Powers, Combat & Tactics, Spells & Magic and High Level Campaigns source books. You can download them ALL in pdf format for free. Then collect them as you go (I always advocate purchasing the books if at all possible).

If you do that, then Faiths & Avatars and Demihuman Deities have fantastic choices depending on your game's parameters.

Those are also easily downloaded for free.

That said, a few of my favorites are:

Clangeddin Silverbeard, Dwarven deity of war, honor, axes, etcetera. Allows use of Fighter/Priest kits in the Complete Dwarven Handbook, specifically the Champion kit. Specifically allows mastery like a straight class fighter in axes. Allows Fighter/Alaghar (Specialty Priest) multi-classed characters as well. Must be LG or LN, and lacks in that they cannot Turn Undead, and only get minor access to the Healing and Necromantic spheres... No high level Heal or Resurrection spells. But he is a solid combatant...

Solonor Thilandira, elven deity of rangers, archery, hunting, etcetera. His specialty priests are Rangers, not priests. But they can multiclass as Ranger/Clerics. They can also specifically purchase mastery in any bow as a fighter does. Add the fact that the cleric class DOES allow turning undead and resurrection, this combination is a powerful choice. Just beware of min-maxing.

Lathander and Kelemvor are major undead slayer choices, and Shevarash is a spectacular Drow Slayer that can multiclass as Specialty Priest/Fighters.

Meilikki, goddess of druids, nature, rangers, also allows Ranger/Druids. They specifically are NG alignment, and must be half elves.

I hope these help. There are many more choices. I just thought these would give you an idea.
    Last edited by Xar Draxus; 2016-05-24 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Grammar

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Interesting Deities for Clerics

@Xar: Unfortunately, for some indiscernible reason, my DM refuses to move beyond 1e. Thanks for trying, though.
    "No" means "yes".

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

@Xar: Unfortunately, for some indiscernible reason, my DM refuses to move beyond 1e. Thanks for trying, though.
    If you aren't the DM, then why are you asking about deities? He should tell you what is available in the setting you're playing in. In 1e, generally, there is no difference between clerics of one deity and another, anyway. The only difference will be, if you are evil, you're more encouraged to use the reversed version of some spells, like cause wounds instead of cure wounds. Any weird Dragon Magazine stuff, or something from a setting you aren't playing in, is not likely to be allowed anyway.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

well, 1e is awesome!

My lost post had many cases of the "not a cleric" stuff, but I'm not going to waste another hour & a half remaking it (sorry).

The most interesting from D&DG/L&L (1e) is probably also a nehwon deity (the spider god being another potentially very cool one). Votishal. Human LG cleric & (anti) thief. The Nehwon pantheon isn't all that well done as a representation of the source books, but they are cool for play.

Many later 1e gods, after D&DG, have some more tweaks & modifiers, such as the greyhawk or dragonlance pantheons. The last (DLA, GHA) are heading towards 2e style sp priests, but before that there are also some cool ones too. Check those books if you like.

From WOG box set: Obad hai (cleric with some druid, or druid with some cleric), Ulaa (earth spells), Celestian (travel spells), Xan Yae (minor monk ability), Hextor (minor assassin ability) & Trithereon (minor ranger ability) are probably the stand outs, although many have a cool bit or 2.

Len Lakofka's Suel pantheon (greyhawk again) in dragon has several more cool ones (Dragon 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 92).

EX: "Norebo enjoys minor magics, but he abhors multi-classed thieves and assassins who use spells to help harm or kill a target (for instance, casting hold person, then slitting the throat of the held victim). He finds such actions “unsporting” — and if he becomes aware of a multi-classed follower doing such a thing, Norebo will do everything in his power to prevent that follower from ever again using spells.

Clerics who worship Norebo dress in brown or dark green robes. Churches and temples dedicated to his worship are often located on the outskirts of a town or city, or even further isolated out in the country. Norebo prefers natural settings for his places of worship, and services in his honor always involve drinking and gambling.

Norebo’s clerics, including the occasional druid (10% likelihood that any cleric of Norebo will be a druid), must each have a dexterity of 9 or better. They must be either human, half-elven, or half-orc, and the demi-humans can be multi-classed. All of Norebo’s clergy are non-lawful, and none can be of neutral evil alignment. They all have the ability to hide in shadows, move silently, climb walls, and remove traps with the same success as a thief of equal level. As compensation for their special abilities, clerics of Norebo must earn an additional 10% in experience points to be able to advance from one level to the next.

In the world of Oerth, shrines to Norebo are known as Churches of the Big Gamble, and they abound in the barbarian states. There are known to be isolated churches on Lendore Isle (see AD&D® Module L1, The Secret of Bone Hill), along the Wild Coast, in Greyhawk and in various cities of the Iron League." dragon mag 86 pg 33-34
    Last edited by CE DM; 2016-05-24 at 10:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by CE DM View Post
    well, 1e is awesome!

My lost post had many cases of the "not a cleric" stuff, but I'm not going to waste another hour & a half remaking it (sorry).

The most interesting from D&DG/L&L (1e) is probably also a nehwon deity (the spider god being another potentially very cool one). Votishal. Human LG cleric & (anti) thief. The Nehwon pantheon isn't all that well done as a representation of the source books, but they are cool for play.

Many later 1e gods, after D&DG, have some more tweaks & modifiers, such as the greyhawk or dragonlance pantheons. The last (DLA, GHA) are heading towards 2e style sp priests, but before that there are also some cool ones too. Check those books if you like.

From WOG box set: Obad hai (cleric with some druid, or druid with some cleric), Ulaa (earth spells), Celestian (travel spells), Xan Yae (minor monk ability), Hextor (minor assassin ability) & Trithereon (minor ranger ability) are probably the stand outs, although many have a cool bit or 2.

Len Lakofka's Suel pantheon (greyhawk again) in dragon has several more cool ones (Dragon 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 92).

EX: "Norebo enjoys minor magics, but he abhors multi-classed thieves and assassins who use spells to help harm or kill a target (for instance, casting hold person, then slitting the throat of the held victim). He finds such actions “unsporting” — and if he becomes aware of a multi-classed follower doing such a thing, Norebo will do everything in his power to prevent that follower from ever again using spells.

Clerics who worship Norebo dress in brown or dark green robes. Churches and temples dedicated to his worship are often located on the outskirts of a town or city, or even further isolated out in the country. Norebo prefers natural settings for his places of worship, and services in his honor always involve drinking and gambling.

Norebo’s clerics, including the occasional druid (10% likelihood that any cleric of Norebo will be a druid), must each have a dexterity of 9 or better. They must be either human, half-elven, or half-orc, and the demi-humans can be multi-classed. All of Norebo’s clergy are non-lawful, and none can be of neutral evil alignment. They all have the ability to hide in shadows, move silently, climb walls, and remove traps with the same success as a thief of equal level. As compensation for their special abilities, clerics of Norebo must earn an additional 10% in experience points to be able to advance from one level to the next.

In the world of Oerth, shrines to Norebo are known as Churches of the Big Gamble, and they abound in the barbarian states. There are known to be isolated churches on Lendore Isle (see AD&D® Module L1, The Secret of Bone Hill), along the Wild Coast, in Greyhawk and in various cities of the Iron League." dragon mag 86 pg 33-34
    Thank you. This is a big help.

Questions about deities:
    1. How does being a potential demigod of Kord (Dragon Magazine #87) work? Do you just decide that you're one of his sons and use the superior stat rolling system that being one of his sons grants?
    2. Does Wee Jas's (Dragon Magazine #88) casting time reduction ability apply to non-Cleric spells as well?
    3. If I start out as a Druid of Obad Hai (Dragon Magazine #69)but ditch him later for another god/a concept, do I keep the list swaps that he gave me?
    4. Dragon Magazine #89 released some errata that forces Clerics of Wee Jas to "earn an extra 10% in experience points to rise from one level to the next throughout their careers". Does this apply to the non-Cleric levels of a Dual-Classed or Multi-Classed Cleric of Wee Jas as well (note that some XP penalties for Clerics of other deities only apply for certain levels)?
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2016-05-25 at 03:20 PM.
    "No" means "yes".

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

5. Since Druids are a subclass of Clerics, do they also get the benefits that some gods give to their "clergy" or their "clerics"?
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2016-05-25 at 03:47 PM.
    "No" means "yes".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Questions about deities:
    1. How does being a potential demigod of Kord (Dragon Magazine #87) work? Do you just decide that you're one of his sons and use the superior stat rolling system that being one of his sons grants?
    With a "less than 1% chance" of being able to "claim demigod status" by having at least two of three specific stats (Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity) between 18-20, as a DM, I'd have to witness such rolls to believe them (even with the article's modified method of rolling those ability scores)!

But the answer to your question rests purely upon your DM's shoulders.

Personally, I would only allow such a character in a solo campaign, where the focus is entirely upon that character alone.

YMMV...
    Last edited by Digitalelf; 2016-05-25 at 05:30 PM.
    "Its amazing how hostile people can get about an entirely optional campaign setting that they werent forced to play."

-Weasel Fierce (of Dragonsfoot)-

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Questions about deities:
    2. Does Wee Jas's (Dragon Magazine #88) casting time reduction ability apply to non-Cleric spells as well?
    3. If I start out as a Druid of Obad Hai (Dragon Magazine #69)but ditch him later for another god/a concept, do I keep the list swaps that he gave me?
    4. Dragon Magazine #89 released some errata that forces Clerics of Wee Jas to "earn an extra 10% in experience points to rise from one level to the next throughout their careers". Does this apply to the non-Cleric levels of a Dual-Classed or Multi-Classed Cleric of Wee Jas as well (note that some XP penalties for Clerics of other deities only apply for certain levels)?

You are welcome.

1. half will be daughters...but playing this character will be entirely up to the DM. Myself, I prefer it when I (as DM) offer it to a player rather than the reverse, but if it fits, or will be fun, I go for it. It ends up with "merely" superior stat-ted characters instead of demi gawds though...I HAVE allowed several kids of Kord over the decades) & I think one might have made "the cut"/survived to be 18. You will note, however, that clergy never will. The "test" is for 17 year olds, and clerics are aged 18+d4. The minor demigods are going to be fighters & only fighters. Clergy of Kord are pretty cool battle clerics anyway, even if they are not Kord's children (demi gods or not).

2. No, but it's a DM call

3. No.

4. No, just the cleric levels. There are many such cases, and anythign there is not, when extra powers are given, there should be. It's simply an adjustment to help offset the character vs the base cleric class. IE it's about game balance

5. Since Druids are a subclass of Clerics, do they also get the benefits that some gods give to their "clergy" or their "clerics"?
    In general, yes, although it might vary on a case by case basis. There could be exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalelf View Post
    With a "less than 1% chance" of being able to "claim demigod status" by having at least two of three specific stats (Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity) between 18-20, as a DM, I'd have to witness such rolls to believe them (even with the article's modified method of rolling those ability scores)!

But the answer to your question rests purely upon your DM's shoulders.

Personally, I would only allow such a character in a solo campaign, where the focus is entirely upon that character alone.

YMMV...

While I agree with all above, I can think of a very common way to use them: as a replacement character. The group has played the campaign for a bit, are established, have some levels under their belts, some gear, etc...this allows a new character to be fine even if they are "better" than the group was when it started. Yes, they catch up fast, but it can be helpful to let a low level, but potentially powerful, replacement into a game. This is all the more relevant when one considers how many old schoolers ALWAYS started at L1. Today (or for me all along), it would be a case of getting XP somewhat comparable to the survivors/previous character, OR playing a special race/class/whatever. Not BOTH.

The odds are low enough to make it kinda funny anyway, and it's a rare way to get a PC traveller style, that can die immediately (play a "human" MU, say, & there is a 30% chance Kord comes to KILL you as well as disown you!). The "cowardice" issue is also a big problem for a low level AD&D character, or even in general (sometimes a player grows cautious AFTER getting some success). Getting killed is really easy for these kids, and that's if they do everything "right"!
    Last edited by CE DM; 2016-05-26 at 08:47 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Another interesting thing that I noticed: according to Deities and Demigods, every time someone kills a cat, there's a 0.1% chance that an Egyptian cat god will try to kill them.
    "No" means "yes".

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

AS it should be...

Bast is also one of the few to have an actual cleric tweak (the anti snake stuff). Certainly it could have been more, but it was from very early days.