New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Preacher

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Preacher

I didn't see a thread about this new show, Preacher, so I made one.

Did any of you watch it last night? ( Sunday ) If you missed it, they're going to re-run it next Sunday night, and then run the next episodes each Sunday.

Ok, so I never read the Preacher Comic. I would have if I had known it was a Garth Ennis title. I love his stuff. Hitman is my all-time favorite comic.

Not being familiar with the comic, I had to do some research to figure out what is what. So far it looks like the TV show is staying fairly true to the comic's feel, as far as I can tell.

The visual effects are fantastic, and it's pretty funny! Hard and visceral and gritty and very very disturbing, but also funny. Just like Hitman.

I think I'm gonna like this show.
    "...Look, it's a simple job. Just go down to the docks, book passage on the good ship Harm's Way, set sail for the Isles of Immaculate Doom, pick up the Orb of Despair which is already waiting for you, and bring it back to deliver to that crazy old coot who lives in that creepy old tower in the Swamp of a Thousand Screams. What could possibly go wrong?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Preacher

I never read the comic... but I just watched the first ep. I caught it indemand.

I didn't get it for like half the show. I think I'm pretty smart and I've been reading comic since I learned how to read (first my older brother's then my own). So I think I am pretty much the best target for the audience.

However by the end of it I was pretty happy and will atleast give it a few more shots.

Spoiler: questions
    Show

so was he some sort of vampire/demon hunter before?
    was his father killed because he was a priest?
    is that new friend a demon?
    is the ex girl friend just a cool hunter, or is she supernatural?
    Did god choose him at the end? Did he just use a new god given ability but didn't be careful enough? Was it instead something demonic pulling at him because he had lost faith?

I'm sure that those questions will be answerd, and I resisted the urge to go to Wikipedia to check out the comic story...

less spoilery: is this true to the comics?
    Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trish- 3rd/5th battlemaster fighter/infernal sword warlock (5e D&D)
    Vesper-6th Gen Tremer (OwoD)
    Emerald Star- PL13 GL of Earth (Mutants and Masterminds DCU)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I never read the comic apart from a few issues, mostly because I can't really stand Dillon's art (guess which Hellblazer comics usually get skipped over when I reread the series). Which is a shame, really, because Ennis does some good stuff when he puts his mind to it and I'm generally pretty fond of Vertigo stuff. Anyway, the first episode was a bit slow in the build-up but promising. I'll definitely be watching a few more episodes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreD&Dgirl View Post
    I never read the comic... but I just watched the first ep. I caught it indemand.

I didn't get it for like half the show. I think I'm pretty smart and I've been reading comic since I learned how to read (first my older brother's then my own). So I think I am pretty much the best target for the audience.

However by the end of it I was pretty happy and will atleast give it a few more shots.

Show

Did god choose him at the end? Did he just use a new god given ability but didn't be careful enough? Was it instead something demonic pulling at him because he had lost faith?

I'm sure that those questions will be answerd, and I resisted the urge to go to Wikipedia to check out the comic story...

less spoilery: is this true to the comics?
    Spoiler: answers
    Show
    No.
    No.
    No.
    The gf is not supernatural, just tuff
    Custer is not chosen by god. I'd say more but it would give away the series entire plot.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd almost forgotten that this was going to be a thing, if it's anything like the comic I've gotta say that I'm pretty damned stoked. I missed it when it aired, but I'll definitely remedy that first chance I get. Some of my all time favorite comic moments come from Preacher.

For now though, can anyone answer whether or not a John Wayne impersonator makes an appearance at any point in the pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

I didn't notice any John Wayne impersonators, but
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Tom Cruise exploded! ( No, we didn't get to see that, but we did watch another guy blow up REAL good. )

so that was fun. Maybe JW shows up next time.

So far the super-team hasn't yet been assembled, but we've met many of them.

The 1st episode will be re-shown next Sunday, followed by a "Talking Preacher" show like the "Talking Dead" show, and the week after that the new episodes start airing.
    "...Look, it's a simple job. Just go down to the docks, book passage on the good ship Harm's Way, set sail for the Isles of Immaculate Doom, pick up the Orb of Despair which is already waiting for you, and bring it back to deliver to that crazy old coot who lives in that creepy old tower in the Swamp of a Thousand Screams. What could possibly go wrong?"

7. - Top - End - #7

They really toned down Eugene from the comics. And didn't give him his nickname(probably for Standards & Practices).

And I really, really hope they change the confrontation between Cassidy and the Saint(if he shows up... ooo, just checked, he will and will supposedly be played by Graham McTavish). There was a bit of a cop out in the writing there, but that was before the Saint was fully envisioned.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

8. - Top - End - #8

I'm not always Ennis's biggest fan but I'm a big fan of Preacher. It's... Texas through English eyes I suppose.

So far there have been some decently large deviations from the comic, but it keeps the overall tone thus far. I like some of their changes thus far and those I'm on the fence on I'm willing to give them time to see how well it plays out.

I really want to see more next week. After the pilot my wife looked at me and said

"Do we have more on DVR?"

"No"

"S#$%, do we have any issues of the comic?"

So I would say it's doing a good job.

I am really really looking forward to The Saint. He's my favorite character and I am anxious to see how he is portrayed. That same sense of... dread & awe. An unstoppable force of nature.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not surprised they dropped the John Wayne stuff. While I love it, it's weird, is never explained, and doesn't really make any sense in the comic at all. If it was in the show their would be pressure to explain it and that would... rob it of something I think.

EDIT: I sure like putting in "Thus Far" don't I?
    Last edited by themaque; 2016-05-25 at 07:27 AM.
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by themaque View Post
    I. It's... Texas through English eyes I suppose.
    Irish.

On the subject of Irish, Cassidy sounded pretty Irish to my inexpert ears. Northern, of some persuasion. I may be wrong.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Irish.

On the subject of Irish, Cassidy sounded pretty Irish to my inexpert ears. Northern, of some persuasion. I may be wrong.
    The actor is English.

Cassidy is Northern Irish. (So is Garth Ennis)

11. - Top - End - #11

Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    The actor is English.

Cassidy is Northern Irish. (So is Garth Ennis)

Right, I was referencing Ennis. He is Irish not English. I was wrong there.

However, I have sad news for most anyone in the United Kingdoms... We refer to the entire UK as Englis outside Sean Connery and Shreck. ;-) Wrong? Yes. Going to change? Not Likely.
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Right, I was referencing Ennis. He is Irish not English. I was wrong there.

However, I have sad news for most anyone in the United Kingdoms... We refer to the entire UK as Englis outside Sean Connery and Shreck. ;-) Wrong? Yes. Going to change? Not Likely.
    Northern Ireland has a bit of a history of being touchy about that.

And for "touchy" read "carbombs".

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreD&Dgirl View Post
    Show

Spoiler: Answers
    Show
    Are you really sure?
    Spoiler: All right, then
    Show
    Jessie comes from a very messed-up family in the back country of Louisiana. He was raised and taught to fight by some of the meanest, least sympathetic psychotics on the planet. You'll likely meet them later in the series.

Cassidy is a vampire. His origin story in the comic was titled "Interview with a Bastard." Heh.

Tulip was raised by her gun-loving daddy to take s*** from nobody.

Jessie wasn't exactly chosen by God, but a lot of His agents see the preacher as someone with a great deal of potential - or as a threat. The force that possesses Jessie is called Genesis. It's a contradiction, both angelic and demonic in nature. Jessie's own conflicting natures called to it and make him a very suitable host.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Spoiler: Answers
    Show
    Are you really sure?
    Spoiler: All right, then
    Show
    Jessie comes from a very messed-up family in the back country of Louisiana. He was raised and taught to fight by some of the meanest, least sympathetic psychotics on the planet. You'll likely meet them later in the series.

Cassidy is a vampire. His origin story in the comic was titled "Interview with a Bastard." Heh.

Tulip was raised by her gun-loving daddy to take s*** from nobody.

Jessie wasn't exactly chosen by God, but a lot of His agents see the preacher as someone with a great deal of potential - or as a threat. The force that possesses Jessie is called Genesis. It's a contradiction, both angelic and demonic in nature. Jessie's own conflicting natures called to it and make him a very suitable host.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the comic, I believe Fiore mentioned that Genises had no morality. that it was power without purpose and needed a human soul to guide it. in that context it just happened to hi Jesse first.

The fact that it was trying to find someone more fitting is a change that I don't think is a bad one. Heaven, Hell, and Crazy all have a part but only one doesn't encapsulate all of what it is

Somewhat surprised there isn't more going on here. I would have thought more fans would either defend or decry the changes.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The actor is English.

Cassidy is Northern Irish.
    But is Cassidy's-in-the-TV-series accent Northern Irish (geopolitical entity, not language) or is it some variant of English (geopolitical entity, not language) I am mistaking for an Irish (geopolitical entity, not language)?
    Last edited by BWR; 2016-05-25 at 03:37 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Spoiler
    Show
    In the comic, I believe Fiore mentioned that Genises had no morality. that it was power without purpose and needed a human soul to guide it. in that context it just happened to hi Jesse first.

The fact that it was trying to find someone more fitting is a change that I don't think is a bad one. Heaven, Hell, and Crazy all have a part but only one doesn't encapsulate all of what it is

Somewhat surprised there isn't more going on here. I would have thought more fans would either defend or decry the changes.
    It's only the first episode. And it has been a couple of years since Preacher finished its comic run...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Until Herr Starr or Jodie show up, it's just getting warmed up.

18. - Top - End - #18

It's been like 16 years since the comic finished.

Re: John Wayne, can't a guy have psychotic hallucinations independently of being possessed by an angel-demon hybrid?
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

It's the first episode and given the fairly entertaining interpretation of Lucifer, I think most fans are willing to give it the benefit of a few more episodes to develop.

Northern Ireland has a bit of a history of being touchy about that.

And for "touchy" read "carbombs".
    Similarly, the Scottish don't like being lumped in with the English. Making that mistake in a Scottish pub would likely get you introduced to a local custom called the Glaswegian Kiss.

But is Cassidy's-in-the-TV-series accent Northern Irish (geopolitical entity, not language) or is it some variant of English (geopolitical entity, not language) I am mistaking for an Irish (geopolitical entity, not language)?
    I'm not an expert on Irish accents, but it's quite close: link.

That said, there's more than one Irish accent.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2016-05-26 at 06:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

RangerGuy

I haven't checked the TV show, but out of curiosity: Is Jesse as much of an arrogant, self-righteous, super-violent scumbag as he is in the comics?

He's just one of those characters I have come to genuinely despise as I've grown older.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    I haven't checked the TV show, but out of curiosity: Is Jesse as much of an arrogant, self-righteous, super-violent scumbag as he is in the comics?

He's just one of those characters I have come to genuinely despise as I've grown older.
    First episode he doesn't seem too arrogant. Self-righteous? Not especially. Super violent? Well, he did beat the crap out of a couple of guys at a bar, but they started swinging first. And he did break a guy's arm in a very unpleasant way. With a smile.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    They really toned down Eugene from the comics. And didn't give him his nickname(probably for Standards & Practices).
    Spoiler
    Show

Eugene got his nickname from Cassidy, iirc. They're in the same room at the end of the pilot, but they haven't interacted yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Eugene got his nickname from Cassidy, iirc. They're in the same room at the end of the pilot, but they haven't interacted yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As of the last episode, they met, but Cassidy hasn't given him his moniker yet. But he did allude to it.

Cassidy goes crazy with a chainsaw! Tulip has the worst sense of humor ever! The Preacher speaks the word! Also, that ending, and bonus, the Saint of Killers makes an intro cameo.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Ah, our hero finally figured out that his voice packs a certain punch it previously lacked.
    This'll be fun.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

While I'm enjoying Cassidy and Tulip, the rest of the episode was rather dull. We'll see what the next one is like.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I enjoyed the comic, so I was surprised they made a TV adaptation for this.

From the first episode, it seems like they are going for a different direction from the comic, but unlike what they did to "Lucifer", at least they remain loyal to the core idea, humour and violence of the source material.

It's not an easy comic to adapt to a TV series, so I can't expect it to remain the same; But as long as it keeps the tone of the comic and not fall to a path of many other adaptations that forced comics into standard variations of TV shows, I'll be happy.

One thing for sure, I don't expect the TV series to end like the comic

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Next episode: the Preacher goes tto New York to open a detective agency and uses his powers to get criminals to confess, together witith a snarky female detective. All the other characters are never mentioned again.

((Why yes, I'm still a bit bitter about Lucifer.))
    Resident Vancian Apologist

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    Ah, our hero finally figured out that his voice packs a certain punch it previously lacked.
    This'll be fun.
    'Finally'? It's been two episodes and he's used it three times - finally is a bit much.

That said, the second usage raises some interesting questions:

Spoiler: QUIET!
    Show

Given that the insects stopped being noisy as well, it would imply that the Voice has power over them despite not having an understanding of human language. This would suggest that the trick Herr Stark used in the comics (mercenaries/soldiers that didn't speak English) wouldn't work.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    'Finally'? It's been two episodes and he's used it three times - finally is a bit much.

That said, the second usage raises some interesting questions:

Spoiler: QUIET!
    Show

Given that the insects stopped being noisy as well, it would imply that the Voice has power over them despite not having an understanding of human language. This would suggest that the trick Herr Stark used in the comics (mercenaries/soldiers that didn't speak English) wouldn't work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I felt the insects were just responding to the sound of his voice, not the command of the Voice.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: QUIET
    Show
    Hmm, the fact that an unresponsive comma victim seems to be responding also puts the mechanics into question. Although I suppose she could have been able to hear, as awful as the implications of that are.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.