New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Collective words for alignment-races?

Demons. Devils. Archons. Azata. Proteans. Modrons.

All of these and more are exemplars of their alignment, coming from their planes, are each other's rivals, and have a certain symmetry to how they work.

Is there a good word for 'em? It's not just 'outsider,' because not all outsiders are part of such a group or serve as such representatives of an alignment or cause.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Collective words for alignment-races?

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Are you asking for a collective word for them based on broad alignment? I generally use Fiend when talking about evil outsiders as a whole, or Celestial for good outsiders. I can't think of any collective name for neutral outsiders off the top of my head.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The quick answer to your question (which I assume you already know) is this:

No. There is no collective term for the races that are alignment-avatars.

Now, let's move on to the real question:

Should there be such a term, and if so, does anybody have a suggestion?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huh? I thought they were called Exemplars. (not the class)

EDIT : At least that's what I call them. I picked up the word in afroakuma's thread, but it's very possibly a misuse.
    Last edited by Seto; 2016-05-24 at 09:04 AM.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The quick answer to your question (which I assume you already know) is this:
    I suspected, but held out the possibility that I may be wrong.

Now, let's move on to the real question:

Should there be such a term, and if so, does anybody have a suggestion?
    Seto's Exempler suggestion is pretty good.

Hm, to spitball more... Embodiments?

One could get poetic and call them 'the Wills of the Planes' or something.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

You mean one word that collectively encompasses Celestials, Fiends, Proteans/Slaadi and Inevitables/Modrons right?

Yeah I'm not aware of one either, but Exemplars and Embodiments both sound fine to me.

EDIT: forgot Aeons. (does 3.5 have an equivalent? A race of TN outsiders?)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2016-05-24 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    EDIT: forgot Aeons. (does 3.5 have an equivalent? A race of TN outsiders?)
    Rilmani (Fiend Folio).
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Closest things that come to mind are the names of the templates that give creatures alignement subtypes - axiomatic, anarchic, celestial and fiendish.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Aligned or Aligned Ones?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

From my ganders about Afro's thread, I am quite positivie that Exemplars actually is the appropriate term. Even if not, it's what they seem to go by amongst Planescape fans.

Archon, Guardinal and Eladrin are celestials and Exemplars; not sure whether Angels also qualify.

Baatezu, Yuguloth, Demodands, Tanar'ri and Obyrith are Fiends; although whether all of them qualify as Exemplars or whether only the dominant or original Fiends qualify as exemplars, I'm not sure about either.

Modrons, (Inevitables,) Slaad and Rilmani are exemplars, but since only Mechanus has (arugably) 2 races of exemplars, there is no name. Azata and Protean are seemingly Pathfinder terms, don't know 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Aligned Ones is a good term... I'd be tempted to put in different names for them from different cultures. Or different examples of them have different terms- Aeons have no problem classifying them all as the same types and view them as necessary, and maybe call them Exemplars since Aeons view all as necessary. Archons view that as too complementary considering some are clearly better than others, and call them Aligned Ones.

Oh, here's another possible term- "Emerged." Since they come from their planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Archon, Guardinal and Eladrin are celestials and Exemplars; not sure whether Angels also qualify.
    I'd include angels in, even if they're a very weird example in that they can be multiple alignments on one axis.

Modrons, (Inevitables,) Slaad and Rilmani are exemplars, but since only Mechanus has (arugably) 2 races of exemplars, there is no name. Azata and Protean are seemingly Pathfinder terms, don't know 'em.

Proteans are the CN/slaad equivalent only more snake-like and less 'infect/eat others' (honestly like 'em better, Slaad always struck me as weirdly biological compared to the others, and were a bit too 'only there to fight'. Formians had a similar issue, and got bumped to the side in favor of the Modrons and Inevitables).

Azata are simply a different name for Eladrin but have all the classic Eladrin types.

12. - Top - End - #12

Azata and Protean are seemingly Pathfinder terms, don't know 'em.
    Pathfinder came up with Azata, Protean, and Aeon because Eladrin, Slaadi, and Rilmani (respectively) are IIRC trademarked/product identity.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroiaSD View Post
    Proteans are the CN/slaad equivalent only more snake-like and less 'infect/eat others' (honestly like 'em better, Slaad always struck me as weirdly biological compared to the others, and were a bit too 'only there to fight'. Formians had a similar issue, and got bumped to the side in favor of the Modrons and Inevitables).
    Actually, there's a good reason the Slaadi are wierd as exemplars of CN: they weren't supposed to be. Limbo producing something so uniform as a strict lifecycle of the current Slaadi would be very unusual. The current way of things is the result of a couple powerful creatures setting up the system to make sure Limbo wouldn't make things more powerful than themselves. Were this system destroyed you would get much less formed and uniform creatures.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

As others have said, they're called "Exemplars," because they are created from their home planes to exemplify that plane's alignment.

I'd include angels in, even if they're a very weird example in that they can be multiple alignments on one axis.
    Angels weren't considered Exemplars because they weren't meant to exemplify a given alignment, and because they are not created by their home planes but rather by Good deities. They still kinda exemplify Good, though, in a broad sense.

but since only Mechanus has (arugably) 2 races of exemplars
    IIRC later editions of D&D stopped talking about modrons at all, so when Pathfinder came along they decided to just use inevitables as the representative race of Law instead since people were more familiar with them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Pathfinder came up with Azata, Protean, and Aeon because Eladrin, Slaadi, and Rilmani (respectively) are IIRC trademarked/product identity.
    And they range from 'exact same thing, different name,' (Azata), to 'new things' (the other two).

Aeons are much more concerned with more cosmic balance rather than ethical balance, and each Aeon a specific area. Like one does life/death, another does freedom/fate, and some just are there to make sure the universe doesn't get ripped apart.

I have the idea of sticking them both in the same game and have Aeons be ones who arise from the souls of those with more druid-esque 'serve causes beyond people,' neutrality, Rilmani from souls of people who are either more apathetic on neutrality or who simply held contradictory morals.

Rilmani do feel far more 'human' in their neutrality, with a lot apathetic or watchful, some concerned with balance-of-power-in-factional/nation-sense stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Actually, there's a good reason the Slaadi are wierd as exemplars of CN: they weren't supposed to be. Limbo producing something so uniform as a strict lifecycle of the current Slaadi would be very unusual. The current way of things is the result of a couple powerful creatures setting up the system to make sure Limbo wouldn't make things more powerful than themselves. Were this system destroyed you would get much less formed and uniform creatures.
    Yes. They always felt shoehorned.

The Proteans explicitly arise in a variety of ways (they sometimes are souls of chaotic mortals, sometimes directly from the planes, and sometimes reproduce) and embody chaos muuuch better. Though they still have a weird 'caste' system thing which IMO feels they're still short of the ideal. CN exemplars shouldn't care about status.

Quote Originally Posted by Werephilosopher View Post
    IIRC later editions of D&D stopped talking about modrons at all, so when Pathfinder came along they decided to just use inevitables as the representative race of Law instead since people were more familiar with them.
    Pathfinder Inevitables being a clear blend of Inevitables and Modrons- One-eyed balls present and all that.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well I misinterpreted the thread.
    I thought the OP wanted collective nouns for individual alignment races.

"A magistrate of *Lawful good race*"

"A worker's union of Kobolds"

"A tavern fire of Adventurers."
    Last edited by ekarney; 2016-05-24 at 08:58 PM.
    The Grand Rudisplorking Commoner, with the Rudisplorkiest power of them all, the power of the vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    But it's okay, I'm wearing five pairs of shoes so they shouldn't be able to hit me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post

A Collision of *Chaotic Evil race*.

18. - Top - End - #18

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post

A Collision of *Chaotic Evil race*.
    I love where this is going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

Take your forklift safety seriously, kids. You'll lose, every time.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

A Host of *N/LG*
    A Cabal of *LE*
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

20. - Top - End - #20

Axiomatic. The term is Axiomatic races if they are intelligent, or axiomatic creatures if they are not.

[edit] No wait, I lied. Axiomatic is only for the Law and Chaos spectrum.

[edit 2] The closest I've come to call them are the "Planar races". However, that term often includes their offspring and minor races of their planes. Both archon and aasimar are planar races. Inner planes creatures are all called elementals and prime material people are all called either "Primes" or whatever we normally call them.
    Wikipedia does a pretty decent breakdown of the major ones here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_planar_races
    Last edited by Falcon X; 2016-05-26 at 02:31 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon X View Post
    [edit 2] The closest I've come to call them are the "Planar races". However, that term often includes their offspring and minor races of their planes. Both archon and aasimar are planar races. Inner planes creatures are all called elementals and prime material people are all called either "Primes" or whatever we normally call them.
    Wikipedia does a pretty decent breakdown of the major ones here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_planar_races
    ummmm Genies aren't elementals and they are native to the inner planes...
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werephilosopher View Post
    As others have said, they're called "Exemplars," because they are created from their home planes to exemplify that plane's alignment.

Angels weren't considered Exemplars because they weren't meant to exemplify a given alignment, and because they are not created by their home planes but rather by Good deities. They still kinda exemplify Good, though, in a broad sense.
    This brings up some issues. Exemplar is the general overall term, but what do we call the subset not made from the spuks of the dead (ie, Obryiths, Slaadi, Yugoloths, Angels, Inevitables) vs the subset made up of he souls of the dead (ie
    Tanar'ri, Baatezu, Archons, etc.). And into which category do Modrons fall (similar case with Demodands); they're arguably made from the souls of dead Modrons, does that count?

And what about the ones that span multiple planes (Angels, Yugoloths) or multiple forms of an alignment (Angels, Slaadi)

Isn't "eladrin" more properly a Tolkien term and property?

Baatezu, Yuguloth, Demodands, Tanar'ri and Obyrith are Fiends; although whether all of them qualify as Exemplars or whether only the dominant or original Fiends qualify as exemplars, I'm not sure about either.

The Abyss, Hades, and Baator both have at least as much a claim to multiple races of exemplars as mechanus does (The abyss has Tanar'ri, Loumaras, and Obryiths, Hades has Yugoloths and Hordelings, Baator has Baatezu and Baatorans). Plus, Mechanus and the Abyss arguably have up to three (Modrons, Formians, and Inevitables, and Obryiths, Tanar'ri, and Loumaras, respectively)

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    ummmm Genies aren't elementals and they are native to the inner planes...
    Eh, good point. The game is never clear on this.
    I'll have to research better before I can say anything firm, but I think you might still call a genie an elemental. It's one of those terms that's broader than we normally think.

Point still stands that we aren't including the Inner Planes in this discussion. We are looking at the alignment planes.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    This brings up some issues. Exemplar is the general overall term, but what do we call the subset not made from the spuks of the dead (ie, Obryiths, Slaadi, Yugoloths, Angels, Inevitables) vs the subset made up of he souls of the dead (ie
    Tanar'ri, Baatezu, Archons, etc.). And into which category do Modrons fall (similar case with Demodands); they're arguably made from the souls of dead Modrons, does that count?

And what about the ones that span multiple planes (Angels, Yugoloths) or multiple forms of an alignment (Angels, Slaadi)

The Abyss, Hades, and Baator both have at least as much a claim to multiple races of exemplars as mechanus does (The abyss has Tanar'ri, Loumaras, and Obryiths, Hades has Yugoloths and Hordelings, Baator has Baatezu and Baatorans). Plus, Mechanus and the Abyss arguably have up to three (Modrons, Formians, and Inevitables, and Obryiths, Tanar'ri, and Loumaras, respectively)
    Exemplars were not originally made from the souls of the dead, that is a newer development, cosmically speaking. Not all of them are, either: Slaad, Eladrin, Modrons and probably a few others are not.

Modrons are the Exemplars of Mechanus. Inevitables are not exemplars, they are constructed and Formians aren't even from Mechanus, originally, they invaded it from Arcadia.

Depending on theory, the Baatezu and Tanar'ri aren't native either. Some Yugoloth claim they made the Baatezu and Tanar'ri. Some say the Baatezu are fallen archons. Some think they were made by the Obyrith and Baatorians, respectively. But they aren't hte original inhabitants of their planes, in any case.

Angels (Aasimon) are something else entirely. They are not exemplars. They are not made by the planes themselves, they are made by the gods as servants. I've always thought hte lack of non-good angels was a big lack in the cosmology.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Isn't "eladrin" more properly a Tolkien term and property?
    Is it? I have no idea. I doubt D&D could use it so freely if it was property of the Tolkien estate, just like they can't use (or at least haven't seen them use) Ainur, Sindarin and Istari.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #26

Is it? I have no idea. I doubt D&D could use it so freely if it was property of the Tolkien estate, just like they can't use (or at least haven't seen them use) Ainur, Sindarin and Istari.
    Really? Please let me know if you find out. I'd really like to make a compendium of stuff D&D ripped off and from where, mostly so I can dive into source material in my games.
    [edit] Ah, Tolkien had a term for certain elves called "Eldarin". Must learn more...

I love that I am having this same discussion on how D&D steals half their stuff in the forum post on Necropolitans (I make a claim that they are taken from DC/Vertigo and have been rebuffed).
    Last edited by Falcon X; 2016-05-26 at 04:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Really? Please let me know if you find out. I'd really like to make a compendium of stuff D&D ripped off and from where, mostly so I can dive into source material in my games.

I love that I am having this same discussion on how D&D steals half their stuff in the forum post on Necropolitans (I make a claim that they are taken from DC/Vertigo and have been rebuffed).
    Well, there's this if you are interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._and_mythology

Edit - Actually, pretty much the only things that aren't from folklore and mythology are the things that you can't find in the SRD. Check the Monster Manual and the SRD, and whatever is missing are the unique items. Things like Beholders, Mindflayers, and the like. These things are public domain, and freely usable by all. This isn't even that uncommon. Take a look at the vast majority of Final Fantasy monsters, for example.

Edit 2 - And here you can read a bit about Halflings, which were originally blatantly lifted from Tolkein, and then renamed and re-imagined to avoid legal troubles.
    Last edited by Deadline; 2016-05-26 at 04:47 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Well, there's this if you are interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._and_mythology

Edit - Actually, pretty much the only things that aren't from folklore and mythology are the things that you can't find in the SRD. Check the Monster Manual and the SRD, and whatever is missing are the unique items. Things like Beholders, Mindflayers, and the like. These things are public domain, and freely usable by all. This isn't even that uncommon. Take a look at the vast majority of Final Fantasy monsters, for example.

Edit 2 - And here you can read a bit about Halflings, which were originally blatantly lifted from Tolkein, and then renamed and re-imagined to avoid legal troubles.
    Nice, thanks. Though I'd be tempted to go further into speculative ones.
    I still wouldn't call Mind Flayers and other aberrations unique in origins. They are clearly inspired by the Lovecraftian mythos and I will argue this one. Heck, mind flayers are like mini-Cthulhus. Still, D&D has laid on the flavor that has far changed them from those origins.
    Last edited by Falcon X; 2016-05-26 at 04:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Nice, thanks. Though I'd be tempted to go further into speculative ones.
    I still wouldn't call Mind Flayers and other aberrations unique in origins. They are clearly inspired by the Lovecraftian mythos and I will argue this one. Heck, mind flayers are like mini-Cthulhus. Still, D&D has laid on the flavor that has far changed them from those origins.
    They are unique enough to be legally distinct, which is about as unique an idea as you can get nowadays. Nothing new under the sun and all that.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    They really don't have any reason to be in the game. They went from being a blatant knockoff that made no sense in-context to a stripped down shell with no outstanding or interesting traits whatsoever. Why they still haven't been removed from the game is beyond me.

EDIT:
    Or alternately instead of being stripped down to empty shells sometimes they get turned from knockoffs of hobbits to knockoffs of kender. Which raises the even more vexing question of why they didn't just flat out replace halflings with kender after dragonlance came out. Did TSR threaten to sue themselves?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-05-26 at 05:18 PM.