New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis J Hyena's Super Hyena Fun Show: Random Banter Thread #215

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Finnish Google... I'm shocked at how similar it is to Australian Google...
    Well, the emphasis is on the "Google", not on the respective nation names...

Sounds intriguing. Most science fiction series ignore that sort of boring practical concern. Of course, that's partly because if you make your science fiction too hard it has a chance of getting too bogged down in technical details.
    Well, there is a great amount of hard science fiction out there too, it all depends on where you're looking...

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Wharbgarbl. I mean pedestrian paths. See, in Espoo, where I've spent most of my years there's almost no pedestrian paths where you cannot ride your bicycle, but here in Helsinki it's extremely regulated. Which makes me confused and stressed out, I'm used to having freedom and avoiding planning ahead in terms of getting from A to B.
    Here in Sweden we don't get that problem. No bicycles are allowed on the pavements unless they're specially designated as bicycle paths.

But there is nothing wrong with our medical exellency! Though it's not koskenkorva, just hard Finnish liquor in general.
    It does not help you from ageing three times as fast as the rest of us, apparently.

Yeah. There's more in Lapland, high likely, but they're mostly those streams with pure, see through mountain water. So not a lot of plants around either. I did see some very magical ones in Scotland though, plenty of those around!
    Ahh. We've got smaller mountains across most of the country, so streams are a natural consequence. Lush ones too, although oftentimes they surrounding forests are just as lush as them.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    In a more serious tone, it's hard to find any convincing arguments for why cannibalism is morally wrong.
    I'd argue that the simplest argument is that it works well as an umbrella to catch a multitude of moral grey areas surrounding a number of cases which are quite easy to find convincing arguments for why they're morally wrong, and at a very low cost at that. I mean, most humans who aren't killed by other humans die from causes we would consider spoils the meat (i.e. we wouldn't eat the meat from a cow which dies of age or disease or a car crash).

ION:
    My ear cleared up itself, finally. A bit into this morning, I suddenly realised that I had hearing on my left ear again. It's been feeling a bit weird all day, though, but I guess that's just from having to get used to it again...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I mean, most humans who aren't killed by other humans die from causes we would consider spoils the meat (i.e. we wouldn't eat the meat from a cow which dies of age or disease or a car crash).
    Actually, that last one isn't as uncommon as you might think. I've definitely eaten venison that was killed by car.

But, to add to your point - cannibalism isn't inherently morally wrong - the issue arises in getting human meat fit for consumption (ignoring the issue of prions). You have to be pretty reliant on accident victims who leave an edible corpse, or go about killing healthy people to get your food - the former is unreliable, and the latter is morally wrong in most value systems.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2016-07-28 at 03:54 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Actually, that last one isn't as uncommon as you might think. I've definitely eaten venison that was killed by car.
    Yeah, I figured it was an iffy case...

Show

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't like it when people us the term "lune" in their discussions of non-Euclidian geometry. They should really let bigons be bigons!
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I don't like it when people us the term "lune" in their discussions of non-Euclidian geometry. They should really let bigons be bigons!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

Here in Finland the local hunting clubs always take care of all of the moose that end up dying or need to be put down when they hit a car/car hits them (sometimes the police do the put down thingy as well). The meat always ends up on someone's plate as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

Have been out of the RPG/Tabletop scene for quite a while but wanna get back into it. Can anyone tell me about roll20 vs Tabletop Sim? I used to play lots of PbP but roll20 seems right up my alley, though it seems hard to find a flexible group. Thoughts/experiences anyone?
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

8. - Top - End - #638
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mud View Post
    Have been out of the RPG/Tabletop scene for quite a while but wanna get back into it. Can anyone tell me about roll20 vs Tabletop Sim? I used to play lots of PbP but roll20 seems right up my alley, though it seems hard to find a flexible group. Thoughts/experiences anyone?
    Roll20 is getting some official DND stuff so....that.

Also, who has two thumbs and found No One Lives Forever for the PS2 at a second hand store today for five bucks, which is like 65 dollars less than it has any right to be.

*points two thumbs at myself* this lady.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Roll20 is getting some official DND stuff so....that.

Also, who has two thumbs and found No One Lives Forever for the PS2 at a second hand store today for five bucks, which is like 65 dollars less than it has any right to be.

*points two thumbs at myself* this lady.
    Sweeeeeeet, thanks, I've been furiously mashing F5 in the recruiting subforum for like last two hours, really itching to play. Also great find, wow. Just last week I got a copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee and unopened original GameCube controller for $8. The controller alone could go for like $90-120 to the right person and Melee for $75. I died.
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

Here in Finland the local hunting clubs always take care of all of the moose that end up dying or need to be put down when they hit a car/car hits them (sometimes the police do the put down thingy as well). The meat always ends up on someone's plate as far as I know.
    Over here as well.

(Well, not the moose part. We don't have moose. We have antelope )

I'm faaaairly certain that when you hit an antelope, you have to report to the police or wildlife commission or something. Maybe that's just an honour system thing though. We certainly do it. (We tend to take the antelope and slaughter it, too. I just realised I'm like 60% hillbilly.)
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

12. - Top - End - #642
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Over here as well.

(Well, not the moose part. We don't have moose. We have antelope )

I'm faaaairly certain that when you hit an antelope, you have to report to the police or wildlife commission or something. Maybe that's just an honour system thing though. We certainly do it. (We tend to take the antelope and slaughter it, too. I just realised I'm like 60% hillbilly.)
    Hey free food is free food, I see nothing wrong with roadkill (provided it is fresh that is), only bad thing is in Sweden you're not allowed to take the carcass of the reindeer you just ran over, as they are all owned by somebody so you have to report them to the police, and you definitely don't want to try to run down a moose as it's likely to do far worse damage to you and your car than you will do to it.
    Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper
    May the force be with you

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomvid View Post
    Hey free food is free food, I see nothing wrong with roadkill (provided it is fresh that is), only bad thing is in Sweden you're not allowed to take the carcass of the reindeer you just ran over, as they are all owned by somebody so you have to report them to the police, and you definitely don't want to try to run down a moose as it's likely to do far worse damage to you and your car than you will do to it.
    Heh. My mother was driving in some suburban neighborhood and...well, she didn't so much run into a poodle as the poodle ran into the car. The poodle was fine, but the car's passenger door was stuck shut until mom got it to the shop to have the offending bits of metal banged back into shape. It's a good thing we live hundreds of miles away from any meese. (Well, not that good, it means seeing meese less often than we'd like, but it has its advantages.)

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

I'd argue that the simplest argument is that it works well as an umbrella to catch a multitude of moral grey areas surrounding a number of cases which are quite easy to find convincing arguments for why they're morally wrong, and at a very low cost at that. I mean, most humans who aren't killed by other humans die from causes we would consider spoils the meat (i.e. we wouldn't eat the meat from a cow which dies of age or disease or a car crash).
    Yes, but what are those moral grey areas? Certain methods of obtaining human meat may be immoral, but, as Amidus Drexel mentions, there is nothing wrong with cannibalism per se.
    But, to add to your point - cannibalism isn't inherently morally wrong - the issue arises in getting human meat fit for consumption (ignoring the issue of prions). You have to be pretty reliant on accident victims who leave an edible corpse, or go about killing healthy people to get your food - the former is unreliable, and the latter is morally wrong in most value systems.
    You could just wait for people to die of old age, as the Wari' did.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sweeeeeeet, thanks, I've been furiously mashing F5 in the recruiting subforum for like last two hours, really itching to play. Also great find, wow. Just last week I got a copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee and unopened original GameCube controller for $8. The controller alone could go for like $90-120 to the right person and Melee for $75. I died.
    If my games weren't full, I'd invite you to mine. I'm actually running it in about two hours assuming anyone shows up -- had to move it to today instead of tomorrow and am a little twitchy seeing no one is here yet.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ettin in the Playground

I didn't use to drink, but I do like some beers. I'd say I drink about... 3-6 units a year? To be fair I don't know why I drink at all, since alcohol isn't exactly the best thing in life and one can life without it for sure. But eh. A lot of my friends go out to bars, pubs and nightclubs, so I think I've become acquainted with them just through conversation, really. Plus the four times I've been to night clubs myself - I don't understand why I've agreed to go to one after my first experience that was very disturbing and upsetting in many ways. However, in Scotland I did drink way too much but that's another story about my surpressed depression that is actually story that doesn't really need to be told any further

Oh, I am so, so utterly smitten by your description. It honestly sounds like a dream come true! Now I must come over to Australia and book you as my guide. Although it might take a few years until I get there. But um. You're still in duty! And yes, probably no way I'd drive from Perth to anywhere, but I'd likely drive, take a bus, train, so forth... I don't care if they're expensive or horrible quality (it's all subjective), as long as I won't die it's going to be an experience; not everything has to be wonderful; life's a journey full of ups and downs.

I would likely die out of the heat more than anything. Australia's one big hot tamale - even during your "winter".

Dip dippedy dip! Have you always disliked water? Do you at least like walking in shallow water or dipping your toes?

Ah! A taller type of a man, I don't know why but my initial thought was "how exciting!". Rather weird, isn't it? So you have a "coffin freezer" as well? What a delight to hear! They're so much fun - I remember being a very tiny girl and climbing and hanging off the side when scavenging for ice cream...
    ... Isn't google the same everywhere?

Btw, is everyone Bruce there?
    Ugh... Suppressed depression... That's the worst. I'm sitting here at quarter to five in the morning ignoring it.

My advice is to just skip everything between Perth and Adelaide. I mean, I can't exactly pass judgement as I've never been there, but it's a whole lot of nothing. Also, I'd be a terrible guide, I've never even been further south than Sydney or further north than Yeppoon. While I understand that that's quite the distance, remember this is Australia and there's nothing most places.

Nah. It's not that bad. You'd adjust eventually.

Well, I can't swim, so there's that. I used to go in the water when I was younger though, I just kind of grew out of it.

It's only a little bit weird.
    Not quite coffin sized. It's one of the small square box ones, but it's served us faithfully for at least twenty years.
    I kind of expected something strange and otherworldly. I don't know why. It's probably because all the Finnish people I know are a bit strange and otherworldly.

I have never met a single person named Bruce. Though I might have and subsequently forgotten.

Smart. I should start doing that.

Psh! Those people are silly. The only thing you have to worry about are ultimately fatal and untreatable prion diseases. And that's only if you eat the brain.

In a more serious tone, it's hard to find any convincing arguments for why cannibalism is morally wrong.
    It's not necessary in colder climates and one shouldn't freeze one's chocolate as it can make it go funny, but it's a trick that's more or less essential in Australia. Unless you eat your chocolate very soon after purchasing it.

Well, it's not. But you can't exactly get human meat ethically. Killing someone to eat them is murder, which is clear. But otherwise waiting for someone to die and then taking their corpse is theft. If we assume that a person owns their own body then after their death it goes to whomever their legal heir is according to the relevant laws, so taking and eating the body would be theft. Of course, this overlaps with the question of "Is it alright to steal to prevent starvation?", but one could argue taking a human corpse to eat is pretty excessive...
    Of course, if they made it known before their death that they wished to be eaten it would probably be alright, though the law and their relations may have something to say about it.

Well, the emphasis is on the "Google", not on the respective nation names...

Well, there is a great amount of hard science fiction out there too, it all depends on where you're looking...
    I know. I suppose my brain just expected something new and different.

Indeed, but I've never heard of one where industrial waste heat is a cause of concern for a society.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

17. - Top - End - #647

Well, that was depressing. 3 of 8 people showed up for today's Roll20 game, and of those, one burned his hand pretty badly. Of the others that were going to drop in, one is likely still late at work, the rest are likely also at work/just getting out right about now, another guy who I changed the gametime so he could make it had his ISP tell him to bugger off... (he lost internet)

When people's life threads don't weave together to form a tapestry to paint the game on, them's the breaks. We'll try again next week. Gives me more time to populate the first dungeon with critters :D

18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Windows 10 free upgrade has expired. Oh well.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

19. - Top - End - #649

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Windows 10 free upgrade has expired. Oh well.
    Now if they could kindly remove their annoying ****ing memory using applet thing from my system that'd be cool.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but what are those moral grey areas? Certain methods of obtaining human meat may be immoral, but, as Amidus Drexel mentions, there is nothing wrong with cannibalism per se.
    You know, I've never actually heard anyone call the cases where people have resorted to cannibalism out of desperation immoral, only tragic, so yes, there are cases when it isn't immoral. I don't think I've heard of anyone who wanted to engage in cannibalism desire to do so for any reason other than for ritual purposes, often of the bucket list kind. I'd argue that's not ground enough to change people's attidudes regarding its morality, if for nothing else then because the cultural taboo is one of the reason it appears on people's bucket lists to start with.

Now if they could kindly remove their annoying ****ing memory using applet thing from my system that'd be cool.
    That memory using applet thing?

ION:
    Went to the beach on this lake yesterday. When playing with a sinking boat (it's so much fun ), we found depositis of oddly coloured bottom mud. So we did the only sensible thing and started painting ourself in it. It stuck differently well, but I've still got faint shadows of a pair of arm stripes, a diamond and a heart, and few feathers from a bird on my chest. Pictures will be forthcoming.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2016-07-30 at 10:46 AM.

Show

21. - Top - End - #651

That memory using applet thing?

ION:
    Went to the beach on this lake yesterday. When playing with a sinking boat (it's so much fun ), we found depositis of oddly coloured bottom mud. So we did the only sensible thing and started painting ourself in it. It stuck differently well, but I've still got faint shadows of a pair of arm stripes, a diamond and a heart, and few feathers from a bird on my chest. Pictures will be forthcoming.
    I don't know what to call it, the little window icon that says "hey click me to upgrade to a **** OS" and thankfully, it IS gone.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh... Suppressed depression... That's the worst. I'm sitting here at quarter to five in the morning ignoring it.
    Ah... Want to talk about it, you two?
    It's not necessary in colder climates and one shouldn't freeze one's chocolate as it can make it go funny, but it's a trick that's more or less essential in Australia. Unless you eat your chocolate very soon after purchasing it.
    Oh, it does? I didn't know that.
    Well, it's not. But you can't exactly get human meat ethically. Killing someone to eat them is murder, which is clear. But otherwise waiting for someone to die and then taking their corpse is theft. If we assume that a person owns their own body then after their death it goes to whomever their legal heir is according to the relevant laws, so taking and eating the body would be theft. Of course, this overlaps with the question of "Is it alright to steal to prevent starvation?", but one could argue taking a human corpse to eat is pretty excessive...
    Of course, if they made it known before their death that they wished to be eaten it would probably be alright, though the law and their relations may have something to say about it.
    You could always eat the corpses of your family members.

...Oh, god. Internet archivists are going to look through these threads and make general statements about the past. "Yes, the Great Cannibalism Debates of 2016 started right here, on this Internet forum that I wrote my dissertation on!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegis J Hyena View Post
    Well, that was depressing. 3 of 8 people showed up for today's Roll20 game, and of those, one burned his hand pretty badly. Of the others that were going to drop in, one is likely still late at work, the rest are likely also at work/just getting out right about now, another guy who I changed the gametime so he could make it had his ISP tell him to bugger off... (he lost internet)

When people's life threads don't weave together to form a tapestry to paint the game on, them's the breaks. We'll try again next week. Gives me more time to populate the first dungeon with critters :D
    Yeah, did everyone else forget or something?
    You know, I've never actually heard anyone call the cases where people have resorted to cannibalism out of desperation immoral, only tragic, so yes, there are cases when it isn't immoral. I don't think I've heard of anyone who wanted to engage in cannibalism desire to do so for any reason other than for ritual purposes, often of the bucket list kind. I'd argue that's not ground enough to change people's attidudes regarding its morality, if for nothing else then because the cultural taboo is one of the reason it appears on people's bucket lists to start with.
    Oh, yeah. There's definitely a huge taboo in most cultures - no doubt about that.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know what to call it, the little window icon that says "hey click me to upgrade to a **** OS" and thankfully, it IS gone.
    You do realize that Windows 10 beats both 7 and 8 in terms of security and supported software, right? Its biggest faults were tracking information (which you could turn off easily if you didn't just mash enter when you installed it - or with a little more difficultly afterward) and driver compatibility, which has mostly been ironed out in the year or so that the full release has been available (you know, now that hardware companies have had time to write/update firmware). I can't think of anything about it that makes it worse than either of the two previous OSs Microsoft has put out.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2016-07-30 at 02:30 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

24. - Top - End - #654

You do realize that Windows 10 beats both 7 and 8 in terms of security and supported software, right? Its biggest faults were tracking information (which you could turn off easily if you didn't just mash enter when you installed it - or with a little more difficultly afterward) and driver compatibility, which has mostly been ironed out in the year or so that the full release has been available (you know, now that hardware companies have had time to write/update firmware). I can't think of anything about it that makes it worse than either of the two previous OSs Microsoft has put out.
    And the update has also broken the machines of basically everyone I know. I'm not a fan of it so I'll be sticking with what I've got at the moment.

25. - Top - End - #655

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Heh. My mother was driving in some suburban neighborhood and...well, she didn't so much run into a poodle as the poodle ran into the car. The poodle was fine, but the car's passenger door was stuck shut until mom got it to the shop to have the offending bits of metal banged back into shape. It's a good thing we live hundreds of miles away from any meese. (Well, not that good, it means seeing meese less often than we'd like, but it has its advantages.)
    It's all for the better.

Remember, when you stare into a meese, a meese also stares into you.

Plus, if they can see you, they can stomp the crap out of you and all your stuff. Unto death.

roll20 is pretty great. We haven't used the in-house audio though. We're switching from Skype to Discord for our voice chat purposes soon.

Never tried out Tabletop Sim, though.

That is pretty neat. And speaks of some nice organization to be able to coordinate that in such a sparsely inhabited area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

26. - Top - End - #656

Yeah, did everyone else forget or something?
    Or worse decided they didn't want to drop in. If Hans had decided to stay, he would have been 5 people, and I would have run with it. I hope Tom's hand heals.

Tomorrow's my Anthropomorphic game's prologue, so let's see how that one goes. (A snake, elk taur, squirrel, bear, and kangaroo walk into a bar...)

On the plus side we got a replacement for Nuriel (who has signed on as cleric with a Healing domain, at that). He's across the pond too but I think his schedule is more forgiving.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Plus, the upgrade was entirely free and you could either uninstall within 30 days or clean install back to your previous OS while still retaining access to your free copy of Windows 10 at a later date. Smart people would have upgraded then immediately downgraded.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

28. - Top - End - #658

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Plus, the upgrade was entirely free and you could either uninstall within 30 days or clean install back to your previous OS while still retaining access to your free copy of Windows 10 at a later date. Smart people would have upgraded then immediately downgraded.
    To be fair to me I don't have the time to do that and also my internet has a data cap so downloading all that stuff would be troublesome.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I hate the interface. I hate the marketing tactics. I hate that you don't have access to BIOS for "security reasons" and a slew of other things. I hate a lot of things about windows 10. If they make it worthwhile I'll have no problem buying it, but I don't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole until that time (if it even happens).
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I hate the interface. I hate the marketing tactics. I hate that you don't have access to BIOS for "security reasons" and a slew of other things. I hate a lot of things about windows 10. If they make it worthwhile I'll have no problem buying it, but I don't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole until that time (if it even happens).
    I have access to BIOS on my Windows 10 computer, and I didn't need to do anything to unlock it either...
    Last edited by Teddy; 2016-07-31 at 04:19 AM.

Show