New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Can someone recommend me a super heroine webcomic

I'm looking for web comic where unlike female protagonist is active in their super heroine duties.
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Can someone recommend me a super heroine webcomic

The protagonist of Grrl Power is more technically a 'superheroine-in-training', but she's gotten into at least one outright brawl and proved herself effectively.

http://grrlpowercomic.com/

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I second Grrlpower. It's not without it's faults, but it's not without it's fun either. In the genre superheroes the only one I follow closer than Grrlpower is Dr. Mcninja. Alternatively, there's Spinnerette. The comic is in a bit of a weird place at this point, but the earlier stories are pretty good. As a third suggestion: I've never really gotten into Star Power, but I liked the writer's previous work. So that might be good depending on what you're looking for.

EDIT: O, and there's Strong Female Protagonist. It's mostly an inspirational story about doing what we can for the world and also hey rape is totally really bad you guys just in case you didn't know that yet. But there's some pretty cool superhero stuff in between, especially in the early comics.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2016-05-27 at 12:58 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

4. - Top - End - #4

Giant Girl occasionally does the hero thing (among other escapades). Dynagirl does too, at least at the point I tired of the writing style.

I think the general portal is called Community of Super Heroes--there's several different series in there.

5. - Top - End - #5

i can recommend Sidekick Girl and Magellan. also, there's Mindmistress, which isn't as high-quality but has some really interesting ideas.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Fusion is a pretty good one in my opinion.

Agreeing on Grrl Power, Magellan, Strong Female Protagonist and Spinnerette.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Aside from webcomics, there is also the serial, Worm, which follows a sometimes-villain, sometimes heroine as she fights to save her friends, herself, and her world. It's enormous, has tons of action, and is often very smart.

8. - Top - End - #8

OP explicitly discarded SFP because Alison (sp?) does nothing but stand around and pout because there isn't a single villainous focus for her to punch the head off of to make the world a better place. God forbid she should actually have to work at improving the planet.

As you can probably guess, I quit that one a while ago.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

If you stretch the definition Girl Genius might count. Main character has the super heroine figure (minus the abs, though you usually cant see them anyways) She is a mega genius that can create inventions that make no logical sense and yet they work, and is either battling an evil empire, freeing her town, or dealing with political chicanery backed by cape wearing ninja assassins. Heck, she even has a nice origin story and the whole humble beginnings thing going on.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Main character has the super heroine figure (minus the abs, though you usually cant see them anyways)
    She was trained by a Xena, Warrior Princess-type character, so she probably has the abs, too.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    OP explicitly discarded SFP because Alison (sp?) does nothing but stand around and pout because there isn't a single villainous focus for her to punch the head off of to make the world a better place. God forbid she should actually have to work at improving the planet.

As you can probably guess, I quit that one a while ago.
    O yeah, I see, I somehow missed that part of that one sentence.

But while we're on the subject anyway, you might be glad to know she is actually doing something now. It's just that the action is less superheroic in nature, it's become more like a comic about running some kind of company/foundation.

Girl Genius is always a good suggestion, although I have to admit I stopped reading years ago because I could no longer follow who, being which prophesied what, was doing which thing where right now. The comic asks for some commitment, no skimming the talky parts.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2016-05-28 at 02:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Thirding Girl Genius. And I don't think one even has to stretch the definition of 'superhero', as there is at least a mini-genre of superhero comics set in other times. For the record, Girl Genius is set in an alternate-history 1800s Europe where Mad Scientists pretty much Rule The World (badly), with Mad Scientists being Superheroes/Supervillains in all but name. Along with various other characters that would be considered Superheroes in any other setting. It's technically considered Steampunk, but it has more in common with Pulp Heroes in my opinion. Which brings the circle back to superheroes, I suppose.

Lots of intrigue. Lots of good ol' fashioned violence. Good amount of romance (in both senses of the word) and decent amount of farce. And a considerable amount of puns and humor. It is a Foglio comic, after all.

One slight word of warning, however. The writers wanted to explicitly start with the origin story of the main character and show her before she got her **** together. While she acts heroic almost from the get-go (literally), she's not always a Full Fledged Superconfident Hero at the beginning. In fact, it takes about five story arcs for her to come to terms with being a Hero and much of those first five books/arcs are her coming to grips with both her 'powers' as a Mad Scientist (called a Spark in the setting) and her status in this mad world. That being said, almost from the third page of the comic, one can see she is destined to be A Hero, even if there are growing pains along the way.

Once she does accept that, yes, it is in her nature that she pretty much has to be a Hero, she goes on to do Heroic things fairly regularly. Not that she didn't before (she totes does), she just stops lying to herself that it is possible, or even desirable, to have a "normal" life.

====

The other word of warning I have is there is A LOT of comic produced. Like well over 2000 Full Page Updates that is usually even more wordy than OotS. To put it in perspective, it is in the middle of the sixteenth "book" with each book having around 120 to 150 pages of content.

While I won't go as far as Lvl 2 Expert, since I think one can enjoy GG "on the flow" and go along for the ride without worrying too much about the ever-shifting metaplot, it absolutely rewards a careful reader. Just take it in bite-sized chunks if one does decide to read it.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-05-28 at 03:36 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Empowered fits the bill, but it is NSFW, so beware.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    I'm looking for web comic where unlike female protagonist is active in their super heroine duties.
    Unfortunately, the only superheroine comic that I would consider good enough to recommend is one where the protagonist is not especially active in her duties. Nevertheless, here it is: The Non-Adventures of Wonderella.

Alternatively, Julie aka 84 from PS238 is great, but she's not the main character in most issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Fusion is a pretty good one in my opinion.
    Thanks for the tip. It is pretty good.

16. - Top - End - #16

How come no one has suggested Star Power?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    How come no one has suggested Star Power?
    I need this text to be able to post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    As a third suggestion: Star Power.

18. - Top - End - #18

A mix of lack of attention on my side and not expecting someone to actually suggest it.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Sleepless Domain might count. It's closer to the "magical girl" genre then the superhero genre, though.
    Awesome Edward Elric avatar by gurgleflep!
    Let's Watch Steins;Gate!

20. - Top - End - #20

Grrl Power and Gorgeous Princess Creamy Beamy

EDIT: Note that Gorgeous Princess Creamy Beamy is occasionally NSFW
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-05-29 at 08:01 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Empowered fits the bill, but it is NSFW, so beware.

GW

Read first few and it doesn't seem like a super hero just basically damsel in distress with possibility of a super power.
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

22. - Top - End - #22

It gets better later on, starting with Thug Boy and later with Ninjette. I still wouldn't recommend it to someone I don't know.

23. - Top - End - #23

RedWizardGuy

I'd also recommend Kiwi Blitz as well. It's written and drawn by the same person who does Sleepless Domain.
    Last edited by Southern Cross; 2016-06-01 at 06:44 PM.
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    Read first few and it doesn't seem like a super hero just basically damsel in distress with possibility of a super power.
    Its both, really. The main character is a Superman whose Kryptonite is 'any damage at all to her extremely fragile suit', so she starts every fight out super-strong and typically ends up damseled. I browsed through it expecting nothing but fanservice, and got a surprisingly strong (if fanservice-heavy) narrative about someone whose desire to fight evil tends to exceed their ability, but keeps trying anyways.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2016-06-01 at 06:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Its both, really. The main character is a Superman whose Kryptonite is 'any damage at all to her extremely fragile suit', so she starts every fight out super-strong and typically ends up damseled. I browsed through it expecting nothing but fanservice, and got a surprisingly strong (if fanservice-heavy) narrative about someone whose desire to fight evil tends to exceed their ability, but keeps trying anyways.
    Very accurate description of the comic. That said,
    Spoiler: Spoilers!
    Show
    according to tvtropes, it is eventually revealed that her kryptonite is not the suit breaking, but her self-doubts. She looses her powers when she becomes embarrassed, or otherwise believes herself to have been weakened.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, Emp gets more and more successful and competent (even though she keeps getting into some embarrassing situations, she starts overcoming a lot of challenges through her wits and well-applied uses of her fragile powers). Most of the super-jerks don't realize that, but she gets the respect of a few who realize how heroic and capable she really is.

(also, the Caged Demonwolf can be quite funny at times, and Empowered has possibly the most terrifying fire-based villain I have ever seen in comics)

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

Empowered rocks. And while it never abandons the fanservice, the stories get heavier and downright dark the farther in it goes. (I love pretty much everything Adam Warren has done. Ironman Hypervelocity sooo needs to be made into a film - live action or animated.)

28. - Top - End - #28

RedWizardGuy

To the right of Grrrl power's comic page is a list of various comics links, including Empowered and many of the comics listed above- and for Gold digger fans it includes a link where Fred Perry has published all of the B & W series and issues 1 to 199 of the color GD series!
    And I'd also recommend Iron Violet. While currently on hiatus thanks to artist problems, the comics archive is still there.
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

I have been dropping in on Miss Melee, very colorful, and there are others ...if I may, I'd like to recommend my own webcomic. Dragonet, although its in a fantasy setting, it has a fair amount of swordplay, dragon thrashing, building pulverizing action as a dragon tries to find her way in the world of men and monsters.
    Behemoth
    dragon around

30. - Top - End - #30

RedWizardGuy

Miss Melee can be found here. I also have to mention that Iron Violet started updating again last week- the current page is featuring the current supervillain up against the cops.
    Let's hope Iron Violet rescues them in time...
    Last edited by Southern Cross; 2016-06-19 at 03:36 AM.

Show