New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dyer's Adventure Inc.

Valeria nods sharply and once again runs a hand along the stock of her crossbow. Electricity crackles in its wake, arcing out to run along the arms of the weapon.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Activating Thunderstaff again, let's see if I can hit anything this time.

AC: 17
    HP: 19/19
    Spells: 1 5/6
    Thunderstaff: 5/7

Effects: Mage Armor 3 hours
    Thunderstaff 2/2 turns
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

After Asbjorn has regained his footing in the room, Kor drops the rope he is holding, and moves to the window to see what it was that caused such a commotion. The ghoul perched on the roof below seems not to be an immediate threat...but he draws his head back just to be safe. There seems to be some discussion about whether the party should continue forward, or backtrack to take another route, but the conversation proves to be short-lived as bows are drawn and arrows nocked.

We have our foe front of us. Best not to turn our backs on them until we're certain they're all dead...and permanently.

He draws his bow and fits an arrow to the string.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

The second ghoul can now be seen to the eastern side of the vault, still lingering within. From your vantage, this creature is 95 percent concealed.

Show
    Waiting for the Fen to take his move. If not, I'll move it forward today.
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2016-07-06 at 11:09 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

As everyone gets into position, Asbjorn knocks an arrow on his shortbow and shoots at the ghoul on the roof.

Show

Attack: (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage: (1d6)[1]
    EDIT: Wow, really?
    Last edited by grifter730; 2016-07-06 at 05:57 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by grifter730 View Post
    As everyone gets into position, Asbjorn knocks an arrow on his shortbow and shoots at the ghoul on the roof.

Show

Attack: [roll0]
    Damage: [roll1]
    EDIT: Wow, really?
    Off balance by the number of companions near a 3x3ft window. Asbjorn's aim fails him, sending an arrow in some unknown distance within the vast cavern.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Skivven skitters back when he notices Ashborn's shot is off. He keeps his vial ready in case they have unwanted visitors in the window.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move: Move back fifteen feet, so I can still see the window.
    Standard: Ready downing an elixer of Adhesive Spittle in case we get enemies showing up in the room.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Yantur

"I do believe that thing is going to leap at us."

Nocking an arrow, he takes aim at the razor-toothed ghoul and releases.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    The entire room 3 roof is within 30' of the window, so PBS is factored in to the below.
    Attack: (1d20+8)[12]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[10]

EDIT: ... and my string of bad rolls continues
    Last edited by fendrin; 2016-07-09 at 10:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Yantur

"I do believe that thing is going to leap at us."
    Nocking an arrow, he takes aim at the razor-toothed ghoul and releases.
    Yantur takes careful aim. When his arrow is released, the composite bow string barely makes a sound. The arrow flies straight, but misses its target.

The ghoul arches its back. Then, makes a hair-raising staccato bark, followed by an escalating howl. YARFK. YARFK. YARFK. AUUOHOOOOO! The ghoul then moves down the front-side of the vault, opposite your position, with only its head visible.
    Show
    The creature is 90% concealed. Bark + Howl, then move. Done.
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2016-07-09 at 11:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, hells, I couldn't even shoot it before, and now only its damn head is showing. And that howl sounded like a nagging wench from the pits. That cannot be good. It was probably a call to all the other nagging wenches, and soon we'll be surrounded with nag nag nag nag nag." Asbjorn turns to look at his companions. "I just mash things. What do you smart folks want me to do now?"
    Last edited by grifter730; 2016-07-10 at 04:52 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Skivven pondered the creature for a moment while muttering "Should've paid attention to the odd scraps about undead instead of which herbs to brew..." He then looked back at the first room and said to no one in particular "It may be best to wait in the room with two entrances for the ghouls to move. We can't really hit them right now and I'd rather avoid one surprising us."

Spoiler: Know: Religion
    Show
    (1d20+4)[10] Untrained too!
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Yantur

"Asbjorn! Thanks for volunteering. Jump down to the roof and lure them out. I'm sure they can't resist your succulent muscles."
    With the majority of his face covered, it's hard to see whether or not the bowman is serious.

Nocking another arrow, he readies himself to shoot at the first enemy that he has a clear shot at.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven View Post
    Spoiler: Know: Religion
    Show
    [roll0] Untrained too!
    Show
    Look back, Yantur (and I) has already supplied any available information on the lock-jaw ghouls.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

"Now you're talking my language," Asbjorn says as he nods at Yantur and shoulders his bow and arrows. "I'll need an anchor or someone to hold the rope though. Kor! You wanna come along as well?"

Asbjorn turns to Skivven. "I'm not sure they can make the leap this high, and we gotta go forward sooner or later. Could wait and see what they'll do, I suppose. What's everyone else think?"
    Last edited by grifter730; 2016-07-10 at 04:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

"I would wait, personally. Wouldn't it be easier to dodge those teeth if you're fighting on a flat surface?" Valeria makes her way over to the window. "Excuse me, I'd like to see if I can hit that thing... probably not, but it's worth a try." She leans out, crossbow braced against her shoulder, and carefully sights on the ghoul's head. Breathe in, let it out... and fire! A crossbow bolt wreathed in lightning streaks toward the monster.

Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[23]

Damage: (1d8+1)[6] + (1d6)[3] electrical

Spells: 1 5/6

Thunderstaff 1/2 turns

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Concealment
    Show
    (1d10)[7](1d10)[5]

Valeria's bolt hums toward its target with the snap & crackle of the electricity that surrounds it. It's as if life slows to a single breath and all falls silent when the bolt strikes true, piercing the ghoul in its right eye. It's grip is loosened. The creature grasps for nothing but air as it falls into the abyss.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Asbjorn pauses from tying the rope around his waist as Valeria's arrow streaks through and hits the ghoul in its eye. Asbjorn's mouth was agape for a couple seconds before it transforms into a grin. "Well done!" He shouts and firmly pats Valeria on the back, perhaps a little too hard. "Where did that come from?"

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by grifter730 View Post
    Kor! You wanna come along as well?"
    Kor leans forward to look through the window at the scene below, absent-mindedly tugging on his beard as he assesses the situation.

Hmmm...that may not be the worst plan, after all. We can't just sit here staring at those things until we all die of thirst...we need to move on at some point. Aye, let's take the fight to our foes!

His last words are punctuated by the thrum of Valeria's crossbow; a moment later by the ghoul topples off the roof and falls into the nothingness below. Springing up to stand in the window, he calls back to Asbjorn, Well done! Now's our chance...are you ready?

Show
    If I'm understanding the map correctly, it's a 10 foot drop from where we are now to the roof of the next building, and it appears that there's no more than a 5 foot gap between the two. So I'm thinking that Kor could jump the gap with a DC 5 Acrobatics check, and take only nonlethal damage from the 'fall'. Does that sound about right?
    Last edited by suburban; 2016-07-11 at 12:32 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by suburban View Post
    Show
    If I'm understanding the map correctly, it's a 10 foot drop from where we are now to the roof of the next building, and it appears that there's no more than a 5 foot gap between the two. So I'm thinking that Kor could jump the gap with a DC 5 Acrobatics check, and take only nonlethal damage from the 'fall'. Does that sound about right?
    Correct. Intentionally jumping also reduces any falling damage.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Asbjorn looks at his dwarven companion, it felt good to have someone else to fight with side-by-side. Just some steel and strength of arms, that's how you get things done. "Ready as I'll ever get!" With that, Asbjorn leaps out the window.

Spoiler: Jump!
    Show

Acrobatics check: (1d20+5)[10]

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Valeria just stares at the spot where the ghoul fell for a few seconds, jaw slowly dropping. "It... worked? It worked! YES!" She laughs in victory, pumping her fist in the air. "I'm not sure where that came from, Asbjorn, maybe practice is paying off! Good luck down there and try to lure the other ghouls to where we can shoot them!"

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Asbjorn leaps from the window toward the roof below. His arms swinging for balance he lands by sliding on one knee then popping up in a standing position. The second ghoul was waiting for this action and springs upward with a ferocious growl to attack a flat-footed Asbjorn.
    Spoiler: Ghoul-2 Claws
    Show
    (1d20+4)[23](1d20+4)[21] Possible Damage (1d6+1)[3](1d6+1)[3]

The first claw strikes the half-elf across the left cheek, tearing flesh with ease. The second attack cuts into Asbjorn's right arm. The blood soaked claws of the ghoul would have paralysed the young Rager were it not for his elven heritage.
    Spoiler: The Jazz
    Show
    Readied Action; Spring up. Attack 2 claws. Done.
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2016-07-12 at 12:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Almost forgot: Nonlethal damage from intentional jump/fall. (1d6)[1]
    Show
    I hate how I can't go back and add a roll to a thread with rolls. I get not changing a roll, but a new roll. C'mon devs.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

With Asbjorn in combat on the roof below, those left behind in the second room feel a slight tremor beneath you then you hear the sounds of small falling rocks coming from below. It's not quite a stampede, but more liken to a heard of sheep running up a mountain pass. Or at least, that's your closest recall. Either way, this isn't an event you immediately recognize.
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2016-07-12 at 02:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Asbjorn was surprised at the speed of the ghoul's movement. Damn thing can really fly at a person, and those claws bloody hurt! Just the kind of battle he lived for. With a smile on his face, Asbjorn brings out the bloodrage in him and swings at the ghoul with the earth breaker.

Show

Are we in rounds/initiatives now?

Attack (Power Attack + Bloodrage): (1d20+9)[18]
    Damage: (2d6+12)[18]

AC: 16
    HP: 38/35
    Effects: Bloodrage (5/10)
    Last edited by grifter730; 2016-07-12 at 04:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

As Asbjorn leaps through the window, Kor readies himself, waiting for the half-elf to land and steady himself before taking his own plunge. But before he can react, a ghoul appears out of nowhere, moving almost impossibly fast, and striking hardwith both claws.

Keep yer filthy paws off my friend, you foul creature!

With a great whoop, Kor takes his greataxe in hand and swings it outward, following it into the open space before him, aiming for center mass of the undead horror below him.

Show
    I'm not quite sure what the rules are for a jump followed by an attack in the same round...I was able to find a fair amount of discussion on the matter, but no consensus. So I'll leave it here, with an Acrobatics check, anm Attack roll, and a Damage roll, and let the DM sort it all out :)

[roll=Acrobatics]1d20[/roll]
    [roll=Attack Ghoul]1d20+7[/roll]
    [roll=Damage]1d12+6[/roll]

And if you want to give Kor a flanking bonus, I wouldn't complain
    Last edited by suburban; 2016-07-12 at 09:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

OOC:

I swear, I'll never understand the die roller on this board. It seems to really, really hate me. Let's try those rolls one more time...

Acrobatics - (1d20)[15]
    Attack Ghoul - (1d20+7)[16]
    Damage - (1d12+6)[11]

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Bringing the earth breaker around with a mighty swing, Asbjorn crushes the skull of the ghoul. The creature collapses, unmoving.
    Show
    Group initiative; PCs then Spooks

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Kor lands on the roof with superior balance in time to see Asbjorn kill the ghoul. With his axe ready, Kor turns to see 5 to 6 ghouls climbing up the foundation of the room he just jumped from.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You've got company comin' up there! Climbing up the walls!

Kor spins around, checking the edges of the roof to see if any more of the creatures might be climbing up behind him and Asbjorn. He edges as close as he dares to the edge closest to the room above and swings his axe at the darkness in front of him.

Come down here and face my steel, you fiends!

Show
    I'm assuming from looking at the map that Kor won't be able to get close enough to make a melee attack at any of the ghouls that are climbing the wall. If he can actually reach them, then he'd try to take a swing at one of them, instead of just swinging at air (which would be accompanied by an Intimidate check to demoralize them, if ghouls weren't immune to such things.)

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Valeria scowls and runs over to the window. Sure enough, there are ghouls climbing up. "So that's what that vibration was." It will be a shame to waste the remaining charge on her crossbow, but this spell really needs to be cast right now for maximum effect. "Try climbing on this, ghouls! Glissen ni shar!" She holds out her left hand and flattens it parallel to the wall. A sheet of mirror-smooth ice forms under the ghouls at the head of the pack.

Show
    Yay, now I get to grease the wall! Please put the grease effect where the maximum number of ghouls will have to try climbing on it.

Spells: 1 4/6

Grease 3 minutes