New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Madness in Crawling Flesh IC

Arabella's spell knocks all of the cultists to the ground, and Razia is able to knock them all out in one hit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Congratulations. You knocked out a bunch of level 3 adepts and warriors.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah. Three men battered and on death's door. Truly, thou art merciful and have set us on the right path toward a bloodless incursion into their temple." Kacper drifts towards the depths of the temple.

"If thou willst give me but a moment, I shall gather the remaining men. I do not believe it will be much trouble."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Kacper cast Greater Invisibility on himself as he descends into the temple.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Arabella flutters over to Razia. "Half of me wants to find a way to send that ghost to his eternal rest," she mutters, "and the other wants to make sure no one else ever can."
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

"You're just jealous because you wish you were dead darling." She taunts at the retreating ghost, blowing him a kiss with one open palm whilst the other are planted sassily on her hips. The succubus shrugs at Arabella, and four arms hold themselves aloft in a shrug, "Can you blame him for being bitter? Can't drink, can get high, can't have sex, can't enjoy food. I'd want to die too." She laughs into the wind, eyes fiery and alive, waiting six seconds, before she claps Arabella on the shoulder, exclaiming "Let's have fun!" and rushes forward, toward the edge of the pit leading to the temple interior.
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2016-06-10 at 11:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, for pity's sake," Arabella mutters, pinching between her eyes. She waves her other hand, and Razia stops jerkily and is spun in a circle. "You are a moron, Razia," she murmurs to the succubus.

Spoiler: Razia
    Show
    You suddenly feel a 30 lb. force yanking your right nipple ring to the right and back.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2016-06-10 at 11:20 PM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

6. - Top - End - #126

Kobold

Razia...-squeaks-... as she does a quick about face, a hand darting to the leather covering her right breast. "Ow ow! I thought you weren't into that stuff!" She hisses, one of the hands waving for Arabella to stop. "You saw how quickly I took those guys out! They'll be no problem down there. Naptime in two shakes of a lamb's tail. I promise!" She twirls her sword with the remaning two hands behind her to emphasize the point.
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2016-06-10 at 11:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Arabella releases most of the tension on Razia's jewelry, maintaining just enough to make the point that her spell hasn't ended. "There was a plan for a reason, you idiot," she whispers vehemently. "We do not know for certain that those inside will be as weak. Their ritual doesn't seem to be meaningful and their like almost never is meaningful, but without seeing it in its entirety I can't be sure. And I can't see through walls. For all we know they worship a godsdamned spectral lurker and it's hiding in the wall behind the altar waiting for a sacrifice.

"The point is, you do not break rank when you're fighting with a group. Understand? As aggravating as you can be, I'd rather you not be eaten."
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2016-06-11 at 12:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Kacper rolls his eyes, as much as he can roll what he calls his eyes, as bits and pieces of the argument above drift down to him. It was only a few words, but it was enough to annoy him. Not that that was much of an accomplishment. Most of his existence now was spent being annoyed at some thing or another. Everything found a way to crawl under his sheet nowadays.

He shook his head of the thoughts as he descended into the main chamber. There is the priest, he starts to glide toward the man, let us see if you are truly prepared to lead your men, shall we?

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Kacper moves to E14, then uses his Malevolence ability on the leader. DC33 Will save to resist.

9. - Top - End - #129

Kobold

"..." The succubus tips her head away, avoiding the gaze of the artificer like a chastised child. Behind her, arms stop their sword twirling and hold the blade stoicly. A hand moves forth to rest on Arabella's hip, "Sorry..."

Spoiler: Telepathy to Arabella
    Show
    <It's easy sometimes for me to be little reckless. Moreso when I'm...well...what's the saying? If you stare into the void too long it stares back?> The physical Razia bites her lip. <Besides...I'm a demon. If someone is going to take a blade, or a tentacle, or -anything-, it should be me. I don't get hurt. Not really. You do.>

Razia's eyes flicker to the limp body of the nearest unconscious cultist, and she sighs softly. "Stupid cultists...how do you get roped into stuff like this anyway? There's not even power on the other side of this nonsense."
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2016-06-11 at 12:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Arabella blushes a little. Stupid succubi and their stupid succubus pheromones. "Thank you," she whispers back.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to be ready for my part of the plan." With a curious little twirling dance she vanishes into the darkness of the cavern.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hiding at D20.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2016-06-11 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Purple

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Folding massive white wings as she alights atop the temple in the aftermath of the brief ambush, Yulie - or the empty patch of air her voice currently emanates from - shifts with a rustling of cloth and feathers barely audible over the wind. "Efficient. Let us hope the rest goes as smoothly, and then I will find us some answers."

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, finally got around to properly listing all of Yulie's commonly active spells in her statblock. To which have been added, for this excursion, Vigor, Invisibility, and Alter Self (to an Avariel, just so she can fly down here). Yulie being Yulie, she'll have shaped the new form's features to resemble her own as closely as possible... giant wings aside.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #132

Kobold

"Well, I'm not going to be able to take out the ones inside quite as quickly. Lot of ground to cover." The succubus spins her blade in one hand, thirsty for battle. Or, more accurately, thirsty to -show off-. She swishes her blade in the air as she waits, humming. Her eyes flicker towards the invisible paragon of elegance. "I like your wings, by the way. You should wear them more often."

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Cast Improvisation
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2016-06-11 at 07:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

"I imagine you would," comes the dry reply. "They share your subtlety. In addition to being heavy, clumsy, gathering dust, and making it difficult to enter ordinary buildings, of course." Stepping lightly over to the gazebo, Yulie peers invisibly down to see how Kacper's recruitment is proceeding.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

I bid thee greetings, priest. Kacper takes a moment to adjust to the new body, allowing it to go entirely limp as he begins his plan. No doubt, thou art perplexed by my coming. I will not stay long, worry not. I am only here at the behest of others. I hold no ill will towards thee or thine flock. Their shared body collapses in front of the altar.

A few moments pass as Kacper waits for the two nearby cultists to check on their fallen leader. As soon as they do, Kacper's new eyes snap open and he grabs them each by the shoulder, "Brethren!" He shouts as he pulls himself up into a sitting position with the assistance of his newly acquired guards, "Something truly wonderous has happened! I have been visited by our great lord in the deeps!" He raises his arms as he addresses the crowd, "I have much to tell you! Gather round, for I have seen the truth that our lord wishes the world to see!"

Spoiler: Checks
    Show
    Bluff - (1d20+37)[57]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

When the 'cult leader' collapses, the cultists immediately stop pacing, and simultaneous looks of shock and concern cross their faces. The two nearest quickly come to the aid of their leader, but as soon as he starts speaking, their looks of concern become looks of confusion. The larger of the two, a short, stout man with a thick orange beard, looks at the other and says, "Ba hori ulertzen?" The other, a tall woman with a long scar across her chin, shakes her head. "Hizkuntzak in zuen mintzo uste dut. Da ikuspegi bat izatera zuen? Agian errituala azkenik lanean ari da!"

Spoiler: Arabella
    Show
    They're speaking Riedran. The short one said, "Did you understand that?" The scarred one said, "I think he's speaking in tongues. Do you think he had a revelation? Maybe the ritual is finally working!"

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Well, crap. Does Kacper speak Riedran? Arabella doesn't think he does. And apparently these cultists didn't speak the common tongue. At least they bought it for now—ironically, they were half right.

<Kacper, they're speaking Riedran,> she tells the ghost. <They think the priest is having a visitation and is speaking in tongues. When you want to actually reach them, tell me what you want to say and I'll translate.>

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

"They are beautiful." Holly agrees with Razia. "I wish mine were quite so unique."
    "And if you can tell me how you got her to stop before running into trouble, it's a useful skill I could get." she adds, with a teasing glance at the succubus.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

The fight over before he can do anything but maintain a fog, Quincy touches down and keeps ready. This group has a thing or two to learn about teamwork, but they are stronger than any you've met in a long while. Need them all to stay pointed in the right direction and not roast each other's noses off. Too bad I never had a crew, I might have learned something about teamwork. Ah well, no time like the present.
    Last edited by stack; 2016-06-12 at 07:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

The Kacper-Priest stares for a moment, internally flabberghasted, externally passing it off as a sudden realization that he's speaking 'tongues.' <Riedran?! The peasant language?! How are they not even passingly familiar with the common tongue? It has been the standard for over a thousand years!> His harrumphing echoes through the mindlink, <Fine, fine. I will use their boorish tongue as undignified as it may be. Tell me then, how should I procede? Shall I tell them of thine coming and our grand purpose? Or shall I simply distract them with one of my endless tales, for which I shall require a more long-term interpreter?> The priest stands up and strokes his chin thoughtfully, <Whilst thou consider that, tell me how I might say that their god has contacted me and that while it has been mere moments for them it has been a 'lifetime' for me. That should give me time to think and excuse any linguistic errors I may make.>

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Arabella is sorely tempted to feed the ghost words that would grossly interfere with his inflated self-worth, but decides that for the mission's sake she ought not to. Nonetheless, she finds it hard not to phrase it in the most embarrassing way she can. <All right,> she tells the ghost, <repeat this while I think: "Gure jainkoak sartu da niretzat eta gehiagoko eta bete me ezagutza odola! gloriosa Ekitaldian nahi uneak bezala zirudien, baina lortu bizitzako bat izan zen niretzat.">

As Kacper repeats her words through the priest's mouth, Arabella confers with her allies above. <Slight snag. Turns out our cultists are Riedran and don't speak the common tongue, and of course our resident melancholic ghost doesn't speak Riedran. Do we take the risk of having him introduce us now, or should I feed him tales to bore them to tears so we don't even need to surprise them?>

Show
    Google translate hates Basque. It's supposed to be "Our god has penetrated me over and over and filled me with the ichor of knowledge! The glorious act seemed like moments to you, but it was a lifetime for me."
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2016-06-13 at 12:58 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Kobold

<What is our end-game here? Leading a little cult in the middle of the sea? Where does this deception take us?> The succubus dares to peer over the edge of the drop that leads down, into the temple. <If he can get them to all...cluster up, I could knock them all out. I'm not a fan of lying to them more than we need to, though. We don't even know if they're...well...-evil-. For all we know, we're evicting peaceful, if weird, monks.> She takes a step back, and combs her fingers through the ridiculous mane of cherry-red hair she sports. <The one I'd really like to sit down and talk with is the high priest.>
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2016-06-13 at 12:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

<Getting them out of the way is a good start. Confusion is easy, so that can be plan B.> Quincy thinks to the others with a mental shrug.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Kacper dutifully repeats the 'utter nonsense,' as he calls it, that Arabella feeds him. <Very well. I shall call for a congregation and we can end this quickly. Now tell me how I might order them to do so.> The high priest raises his arms and gestures for all who can see him to come near while Arabella quickly translates. His voice booms throughout the hall, commanding all the cultists in broken Riedran to come and gather round.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

<That'd be "Zatoz, zatoz eta gure Jainkoaren jakinduria zurrunak partekatu egingo dut!"> Arabella instructs the ghost.

<Alright, everyone,> she tells the rest of the rather curious assemblage above her while the ghost prepares the cultists. <Kacper is bringing them closer to the leader. I think it's about time to dance.>

Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    "Come, come closer to me and I will share our god's sticky wisdom!"

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

The cultists look at each other uncomfortably, but they hesitantly gather around their leader. You can hear them muttering to each other.

"Esan besterik ez zuen 'jakinduria zurrunak?'"
    "Edo jainkoaren inspirazioa da, edo zuen nik galdu."
    "Edozeinek dago beste hemen... deseroso?"
    "Hau da oraindik ere Dar Ilash baino hobea.

Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    "Did he just say 'sticky wisdom?'"
    "Either it's divine inspiration, or he's lost it."
    "Is anyone else here... uncomfortable?"
    "This is still better than Dar Ilash."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

<Everyone's around the cult leader,> Arabella reports. <Come on in.>

27. - Top - End - #147

Kobold

<Yay!> The mental reply is short, and concisely circumscribes Razia's feeling about this part of the plan. She jumps, a bunny hop, off the edge of the precipe...and disappears in a puff of purple smoke about halfway down her fall. She reappears, standing casually with sword in hand, beside one of the cultists nearest the altar. She gingerly taps the black-robed man on his shoulder. "Hey. Really sorry about this, buddy."

She's a flash. Like jagged, red lightning she arcs through the cultists. Steel sings, glinting pale white light. A blink misses it, leaving the cherry-haired paladin standing at the other end. She spins on her heel, turning towards the two lonely remaining cultists, and takes a deep bow, her waist-length mane brushing the floor as her eyes flick up to meet theirs, a predatory, pointy smile worn.

Spoiler: Bowling for Cultists
    Show

Preface: Stupid preview post...

Spoiler: Dance of Death
    Show

Moving from D12 to D16, tracing the eastern "wall" of cultists.

S6: Mercy attack of (1d20+27)[42] (+2 v. Humans) for (1d10+22)[29] + (1d6)[2] damage + (2d6+2)[13] versus Humans and (2d6)[11] versus evil.
    C7: Mercy attack of (1d20+27)[39] (+2 v. Humans) for (1d10+22)[28] + (1d6)[5] damage + (2d6+2)[9] versus Humans and (2d6)[6] versus evil.
    C3: Mercy attack of (1d20+27)[45] (+2 v. Humans) for (1d10+22)[23] + (1d6)[5] damage + (2d6+2)[9] versus Humans and (2d6)[5] versus evil.
    C1: Mercy attack of (1d20+27)[39] (+2 v. Humans) for (1d10+22)[24] + (1d6)[6] damage + (2d6+2)[8] versus Humans and (2d6)[4] versus evil.
    C6: Mercy attack of (1d20+27)[39] (+2 v. Humans) for (1d10+22)[27] + (1d6)[5] damage + (2d6+2)[5] versus Humans and (2d6)[7] versus evil.
    S2: Mercy attack of (1d20+27)[28] (+2 v. Humans) for (1d10+22)[30] + (1d6)[6] damage + (2d6+2)[8] versus Humans and (2d6)[5] versus evil.
    C2: Mercy attack of (1d20+27)[43] (+2 v. Humans) for (1d10+22)[26] + (1d6)[2] damage + (2d6+2)[9] versus Humans and (2d6)[8] versus evil.
    S4: Mercy attack of (1d20+27)[42] (+2 v. Humans) for (1d10+22)[23] + (1d6)[5] damage + (2d6+2)[6] versus Humans and (2d6)[10] versus evil.
    S1: Mercy attack of (1d20+27)[40] (+2 v. Humans) for (1d10+22)[31] + (1d6)[1] damage + (2d6+2)[7] versus Humans and (2d6)[9] versus evil.
    C5: Mercy attack of (1d20+27)[37] (+2 v. Humans) for (1d10+22)[31] + (1d6)[4] damage + (2d6+2)[10] versus Humans and (2d6)[4] versus evil.
    C4: Mercy attack of (1d20+27)[44] (+2 v. Humans) for (1d10+22)[23] + (1d6)[2] damage + (2d6+2)[8] versus Humans and (2d6)[6] versus evil.
    S5: Mercy attack of (1d20+27)[41] (+2 v. Humans) for (1d10+22)[27] + (1d6)[4] damage + (2d6+2)[9] versus Humans and (2d6)[6] versus evil.

Last edited by Mahrke; 2016-06-15 at 04:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm. She does know how to apply herself when necessary." Peering down at the last standing cultists, Yulie presses a thumbnail into her palm, drawing one of them temporarily into the pattern that sends her servants - the bonds all the stronger for their ephemerality.

Spoiler
    Show
    Endowed Dominate on S3 with 1 extra pp, DC24.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Arabella notes that Razia is nearly as efficient as she has claimed to be, but there are still two left standing. Well. One of those she can deal with now, without even hitting them. She steps out from behind the column and calls to the nearest cultist. "Beno, orduan," she says casually. "Badirudi laguna ezker batak ez izan berri izorratuta abominationea jainko bat deitu by duzula. Duzu inoiz bada desmuntatu aurretik? Besterik ez naiz teknika berri bat probatu azkura."

Show
    It translates to "Well, then. Seems that you have one friend left that hasn't just been ****ed by the abomination you call a god. Have you ever been disassembled before? I'm just itching to try out a new technique."

Intimidate: (1d20+26)[42] (DC 10+HD+Wisdom). On success, he cowers for one round and then is shaken for one round plus one round for every 5 I beat the DC.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quincy floats down as well, ready to inconvenience anyone that tries to resist. "Please, put up a fight."
    Spoiler
    Show
    ready a hostile lift, will DC 26 or be levitated, on anyone that tries to attack or cast a spell, moving them 70 ft up and into a solid object using them as a bludgeon if there is only one standing, otherwise slamming him into another enemy if there are more than one standing

attack if needed (1d20+16)[17]
    damage (1d6+8)[11] to both creatures (or creature and object)

target gets a new save each round