New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Madness in Crawling Flesh IC

The aboleths don't seem to spot Arabella as she slips in and out of the temple, and the beacon begins to glow when you activate it within the stone. Your sending to Prince Rygar goes through, and after a brief delay you receive his reply:

"Remove beacon, return to Regalport immediately. Contract is fake, recruiter was an impostor. Identity unknown. Must consolidate information, will negotiate new contract upon return."

Spoiler: Arabella
    Show
    By the time you get back out of the temple, you can see three more dark figures approaching, approximately the same size and speed as the other aboleths.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2016-07-13 at 09:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Arabella only barely keeps herself from screaming an impolite word. <Kacper, I need you here now!>

She follows the pale ghost's form and meets it a few hundred feet from the aboleths. Her eyes are wide enough to show white all the way around and her lips are drawn into a straight pale line <We have a problem,> she tells Kacper, her mental voice crisp. <Can you possess me and just, well, ride me without controlling my actions?>
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2016-07-13 at 09:48 PM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Kacper perks up, "It appears I am needed. Fare thee well." He nods curtly to the others still on board and promptly plummets through the ship without bothering to go over the side.

Though blinded by the fog, Arabella manages to find him. He tilts his head, <An unusual request, to be sure. None have requested my skills in such a specific manner. I can manage as much. Relax thineself.> Kacper places a ghostly hand on Arabella's shoulder, quickly merging into her body through the point of contact.

Show
    <My, my, but isn't it fascinating in here? Knowest thou, I don't believe I would have been able to manage this, had thou not allowed it.>

<Feel free to take that as a compliment. Thine mind is significantly more formidable than most.>

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

<I know,> Arabella replies to Kacper. She takes a breath and begins her descent into the temple again. <Now, we have to remove the beacon. I'll explain why later. But I encased it in stone and I don't think spending the time to get it out or risking the noise is a wise idea right now. If you can just reach through the stone and get it, we can be on our way.>

Barely a second after Arabella finishes telling Kacper this she touches down at the base of the altar. <It's there, where the stone is deformed. I didn't really have time to sculpt it cleanly.>
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

<Very well.> A ghostly hand stretches out of Arabella's own and into the deformed stone, rummaging around for the beacon. It doesn't take long for the beacon to find its way out and into Arabella's out-stretched hand and for Kacper to once again make himself comfortable inside Arabella's body.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Arabella returns the beacon to her haversack before flying up out of the gazebo, past the Aboleths, and back to Sylph. On the way she calls Yulie, informing her that she probably wants to return to Sylph as well.

Once aboard, she allows Kacper to debark and addresses her companions. <We've been had,> she says furiously. She strips off the headband and passes it to Razia. Her own hair is horribly tangled by the wind and she begins trying to straighten it. <The half-elf we met was not sent by Prince Rygar. I'm not even certain he sent the invitations; he couldn't relay much information. I've removed the beacon at his request, and he wants us to return to Regalport and meet with him.>

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

<Any chance the communication was intercepted? Probably not. I do hate these intrigues. Guess we should have asked more questions earlier.> Quincy thinks back.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

<My, how uncharacteristically careless of me.> Although her mental tone is light, Yulie is in truth nearly as irritated as Arabella. This was why she preferred to make customers come to her. Really, without the opportunity to do a background check, she ought to have been more invasive in ensuring the legitimacy of the contract. Well, unless the little butterfly was mistaken, she now had a khorovar to kill.

<Very well, let us return. Getting information from the cultists will be put on hold while I investigate this matter.> Swiftly making her way back to the ship, Yulie immediately sequesters herself in her quarters, calling to mind every detail she could remember of their contact. Scrying was always a gamble, but she had power to spare and more than enough motivation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Endowed Remote Viewing the khorovar contact, DC24 Will, no save bonus.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #249
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

"This is exactly why we should've spent more time in the tavern. Never trust anyone that won't drink with you." The paladin throws her hands up, and begins back, towards Arabella's pit. "Blood on our hands and nothing to show for it." She hops down into the pit, and finds the cultist dominated by Yulie. She snaps her fingers in front of the man's eyes, a pair of hands grasping him by the shoulders. <Release the cultist. I want to do what we should've done from the beginning. Talk.>

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

<First,> Arabella informs Razia, waving her hand at the now barely-clothed cultists, <you are going to help me get them out of my foyer. I need to study my books, and I can't do that when I have unsecured prisoners asleep three floors above me.>

11. - Top - End - #251

Kobold

Razia heaves an audible sigh. "Sylph, I don't suppose you have a brig?" She chimes pleasantly to the open air.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

<He is as free as he needs to be.> Yulie sends an unconcerned reply back. <His only restrictions are to not attempt escape or harm, and given the leader's attempt at self-immolation, I believe they are well-warranted. They will wear off within the hour, though, so take care not to get complacent.>
    Last edited by Sallera; 2016-07-14 at 06:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quincy grumps, "She ain't a slave ship, didn't build her with pens. Still, I can arrange something in the hold that should serve."
    Spoiler
    Show
    can use permanent creation and forge to put together a holding cell with necessary amenities in the hold

14. - Top - End - #254

Kobold

Razia shrugs, <Do your best to make it comfortable.> The paladin turns her attentions back to the dominated cultist. She picks her way around his unconscious brethren, and finds a stray chair to sit upon. "Ez du sentitzen ona ... kontrolatzen ari . Badakit." She says, looking to the hearth, stern. "Higadura egingo da off pixka batean ." Her ruby gaze drifts to the pile of ash and tatters that was once the cult-leader. "Zein da zure izena , ez baduzu axola niri galdetzen ?"

Spoiler: Transalation
    Show
    Razia shrugs, <Do your best to make it comfortable.> The paladin turns her attentions back to the dominated cultist. She picks her way around his unconscious brethren, and finds a stray chair to sit upon. "It doesn't feel good...being controlled. I know." She says, looking to the hearth, stern. "It'll wear off in a bit." Her ruby gaze drifts to the pile of ash and tatters that was once the cult-leader. "What's your name, if you don't mind me asking?"
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2016-07-15 at 05:30 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

"No, it won't wear off soon," Arabella corrects Razia sternly. "Because before Yulie's power expires, I'll be controlling him. Losing your free will might be unpleasant, but it's a hell of a lot better than Dolurrh."

She hops down in the pit and assesses the prisoners. One of them looks scrawny enough for her to lift, so she hoists him into a firefighter's carry and climbs up the ladder onto the deck, where she dumps him unceremoniously. "Now are you going to help me? I need to get to work."

16. - Top - End - #256

Kobold

Razia frowns, casting fiery gaze towards the artificer. "No. He'll be put up in confines with the others, but you will not be taking away his free will." She says, tone scolding as she rises, picking up a pair of cultists, one over each shoulder, and carrying them back up and out of the workshop. She lays them to the ground gently.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Paladins. Is there a group with thicker heads?

"Did having his hands encased in stone save their leader?" Arabella says through gritted teeth. "No. They will be unconscious or controlled, unless you want their blood to be on your hands. You blamed Kacper's apathy for their leader's death. Fine. I will not let your tender-heartedness and stupidity kill the others."
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2016-07-15 at 04:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258

Kobold

"And what of later? Shall we keep them drugged or enchanted until the body withers away? Healing will not happen without participation, and shackling a man's thoughts dashes any hopes of achieving that." The paladin's reply is resolute, her words measured. She hops back down, and picks up another pair, dutifully laying them upon the deck. Down she goes, again, and pauses. She looks at the quivering man with a frown. "Zuk ez duzu beldurrik izan behar . Ez diot inori kalterik zaudela."

Spoiler: Transalate
    Show
    "And what of later? Shall we keep them drugged or enchanted until the body withers away? Healing will not happen without participation, and shackling a man's thoughts dashes any hopes of achieving that." The paladin's reply is resolute, her words measured. She hops back down, and picks up another pair, dutifully laying them upon the deck. Down she goes, again, and pauses. She looks at the quivering man with a frown. "You don't need to be afraid. I won't let any harm come to you."
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2016-07-15 at 05:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Arabella rolls her eyes. "I'm hardly going to 'shackle his thoughts'," she says. "He can think whatever he likes. Hell, he can do whatever he likes as long as he doesn't hurt himself or others."
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2016-07-15 at 05:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    While you're waiting, the three other aboleths arrive. They swiftly climb up the tower and take positions at the last three corners of the gazebo, joining the other six. They soon stop buzzing and, in perfect synchronization, dive into the waters below.

As you're waiting, you can hear the buzzing quickly crescendo, then suddenly stop.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2016-07-18 at 11:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quincy goes belowdeck to see to making arrangements for the prisoners.

Spoiler
    Show
    working in mithril this time. I presume checks are unneeded? Full amenities, beds/benchs, silk screened chamberpot area

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

By the time you leave next morning, the aboleths still haven't surfaced. You make your preparations and head back towards Regalport.

You arrive at Greentarn on a calm, pleasant evening. Even from a distance, it's obvious that something's not quite right— normally at this time, you'd at least expect to see a few fishing boats, but the ocean ahead is entirely devoid of vessels. Coming up from the south, though, it's only once you pull over Regalport that you can really see the cause. The docks are completely smashed up, nothing more than driftwood floating in the incongruously placid water, and the ships that were moored alongside them are in varying degrees of ruin. There are teams of sailors and stevedores going out in rowboats, doing repairs for the mendable ships— and running salvage on the rest. Many of the ramshackle wooden buildings that once stood next to the port have been completely demolished, although the rest of the city seems to have fared better. On the shore, you can see several people in Seadragon livery coordinating the repairs and salvage; one of them, a darkly tanned human of average height and stocky build, is wearing the iron circlet that several of you recognize as the mark of a Lhazaarite prince.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

"Bugger and blast, what happened here? Have to be a mighty storm for that much damage...and sailors know storms better than that. I wish to go down and hear the news, though I think it best if Sylph stays aloft. Don't want anyone to get the bright idea they can commandeer her."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, this is certainly going to put a damper on business," Yulie says with a displeased look. It couldn't have been a catastrophic impact, though, or someone would have contacted her. They'd probably lost a storage facility or two, judging from the view, although the headquarters looked to be intact. With luck there wouldn't have been any valuable shipments in port at the time of the attack; she'd have to get a full report later.

"Perhaps we should confer with the Prince, but not out loud." Yulie holds up the glass bead she seems to use as a focus, and her appearance shifts as well; her hair fades to shoulder-length, her skin lightens, and her eyes shift to a light blue. "I have unfortunately been unable to locate the one who abused his name, but there are few individuals with skill surpassing mine in wards."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (nobility): (1d20+23)[34] - assuming that's Rygar?
    Knowledge (local): (1d20+23)[32] - are there any locations in Regalport Yulie knows of that are warded strongly enough to deter her scrying attempts?

If we're heading down without landing, Yulie will dim-door, and she can bring along anyone who can't fly. She will Mindlink the party + assumed-Rygar once they arrive. She will also cast Discern Shapechanger prior to heading down, as recent events have made her, well, even more paranoid than usual.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #265

Kobold

The week's journey goes by with Razia essentially...well...confined to the brig. Paladin is insistent on trying to make things write with the cultists, and though they are uneasy at first, kind words and forthright explanation do much to assuage their doubts. Nights are spent sleeping in Quincy's fine appointments, alongside the rest of the captives. During meals, she breaks bread with them...and in particular, confides in Nuusmar. Thrusts upon his shoulders a measure of leadership, if only because he happened to be the one with whom she found deepest rapport. Of most concern, however, is the subject of faith.

Razia relays her findings on this subject to the others of the crew. Their monotone voices. The way thoughts seem to go blank, the world shut out. As if they'd been broken...as if the personality had been stripped away to leave an empty shell reciting mantras. Advice is sought, first with Arabella, Holly, and Quincy...and even then Kacper and Yulie. There is some measure of reticence for the latter, but she cannot deny the elegant woman's prowess in manners of the mind, and Kacper's experience with her suspicions about what precisely this is: cult-like brainwashing.

-----

As they arrive in Regalport, Razia steps up on deck with a frown on her features, shaking her head. "This...the way things are falling into place is unsettling." She steps to, taking the offered teleport to the ground.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

When you teleport down to the ground, Prince Rygar glances over at you, but keeps focus on the repair teams.

Spoiler: Mindlink
    Show
    <Thank you for setting this mental link up, Ms. Varinen. Can't be too careful these days.>

<Here's the deal. That person who hired you was a fake. From the little information we've gathered, he was impersonating one of my lieutenants— I left him here to keep an eye on things about a month ago, and we just dredged up his corpse from the ocean yesterday. Half-elf, heavily scarred face? We've got reports of people seeing him around town over the last month, acting strangely. Unfortunately, we've had our hands full with repairs over the last couple of days, so we haven't had much of an opportunity to investigate. He hired you to investigate a temple out in the Grey Tide, yes? What, exactly, did he say I wanted done there?>

Spoiler: Yulie
    Show
    None of the people in Seadragon livery appear to be shapechangers.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2016-07-24 at 11:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267

Kobold

<They wanted us to place a beacon so that you could send a team there. We found a gaggle of worshippers, and soon after nine or so aboleths.> Razia strides forward, surveying the destruction. <Is there anything we can help with here? Are there injuries? What...what happened?> She frowns, her eyes dipping to Holly for a moment as she heaves a sigh. Destruction in their wake...it never felt good, and the succubus couldn't help but feel like it followed her. Such was the curse of talent.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

<Oh, don't worry too much about the wreckage. We got hit by a flash hurricane a few days ago— took out the docks, but we had enough warning to set up some surge barriers in front of the main city. There's a reason we don't build the important buildings right on the water.>

<Can you give me any more details about what he wanted you to do, or why he said I wanted it done? See, the strange thing is, that temple he sent you out to? It
    was already on our charts, and our sources were saying the place might be of some value to historians out west. In fact, I was planning on contracting Ms. Varinen's company to secure the area once I returned. Did he mention anything like that?>

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 20
    Show
    The 'flash hurricanes' are just one aspect of the widely-feared Lhazaar weather patterns. Sudden storms of abnormal strength pop up with very little warning, then fade out a few hours later— often leaving considerable damage in their wake, mostly due to the storm surge and the lack of time to prepare. Though they're attested through at least the reign of Galifar I, they seem to have been increasing in frequency and strength over the last few years (although they're still hardly the worst aspect of Lhazaarite weather).

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

<Not exactly, no,> Arabella says. She's changed from the flying leathers she'd worn most of the voyage into a simple dress of heavy peach wool and used one of the stones embedded in her wings to hide them from view. She frowns, trying to remember exactly what words the impostor used. <He said that there was a cult of the Dragon Below at the temple and that Prince Kel might be supporting them. "Prince Rygar feels that if the changeling is involved", he said, "it is worthy of our attention". He also said that you didn't think Prince Kel knew that you knew of the temple and you'd like to keep it that way. Hence hiring us.>

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

<Huh. He's right about Prince Kel, at least. That's not good— whoever that impostor was, he knew a lot about my plans. Still, the fact that he'd come out and say it... I was operating under the assumption that the changelings were responsible, but now I'm not so sure. If they were, why would he try to draw your attention to Kel?>

<But... I didn't know that there was a cult living there. So the guy definitely had information about the place from someone else, someone who could tell they were there and wanted them out. That
    does point to the changelings— they live in the Grey Tide, they could've seen the cult firsthand. Still, it doesn't really seem like their style— it's hardly low-profile at all, for one. Why would they hire... em...>
    He looks over in your direction briefly, then does a double take.

<Wh... Is that...Is that Kacper the Ghost?!>
    Last edited by Lateral; 2016-07-23 at 08:07 PM.