For the first time in nearly a month, I'm not:
    • At a convention
    • Grieving
    • Confined to the plague quarter

Which means, it's milestone time!

Spoiler: Milestone 3
    Show

Notable features:
    -Agents can take actions now! They can do insurrections and countermeasures with no chance of failure.
    -Starting countries now have Outputs! They will correctly spit out an Agent, Army, and Executive after the correct number of turns.
    -Countries have a visible, clickable area
    -Armies can't move into the same Country as enemy Armies.
    -Countries are now highlighted when an Executive is preparing to forge an influence link. (Does not include port links)
    -The map can be drag-scrolled using right click

Known bugs that I'm not intending to fix for now:
    -Things get weird when more than six units try to be in the same Country. In the code, they will be in that Country, but visually, they won't be. As I will probably rejigger how we display/select units, this isn't worth fixing right now
    -Player 2's units spawn before Player 1's. Right now, the turn structure is held together with toothpicks and glue, especially since there's no AI player yet. This'll get fixed eventually.

I've sent out a link to anybody who's requested early builds. Next up; the first steps into the Technology system. This one'll take a bit.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2017-04-06 at 09:46 AM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Also Amish, sign me up for .exe deliveries. Or if you have a git repo that'd be cool too. You're using Unity?
    This post got lost in the shuffle. Whoops!

Will do. I'm using Unity, which unfortunately makes git repos a huge pain. Maybe I can set something up just for delivering the zipped builds? Sure would save me some inbox space. Will think on this more.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly, I'm traveling today, so I won't be able to test this for a week.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Sadly, I'm traveling today, so I won't be able to test this for a week.
    BANISHED TO THE QA DUNGEON

No worries! The Tech stuff is actually going much better than expected, so you may have a newer build to play with by the time you get back.

Have good travel!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

With a bit of playing around with it:

- Trying to run fullscreen with non-native resolution makes it extremely difficult to click anything properly, rendering the game unplayable. Notable mostly because that's the default, at least for me. Replicable.
    - One time on the first turn the US agent was unable to create a link between Pakistan and India, with India not highlighting as an option. Chinese agent was able to link from India to Pakistan and links worked properly thereafter. Not replicable on future tries.
    - One or more extra units (from the lack of display space you noted) are appearing in the bottom left of the map (west of Argentina) on turns 11 and beyond. The (topmost?) one is selectable, but cannot move anywhere. Replicable.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

- Trying to run fullscreen with non-native resolution makes it extremely difficult to click anything properly, rendering the game unplayable. Notable mostly because that's the default, at least for me. Replicable.
    I'll poke at this today, see what it would take to fix this. It's entirely possible that this'll fall into the realm of "big technical issues that aren't worth fixing in a prototype", but at the least it'll give me a better handle on the problem for the future.

- One time on the first turn the US agent was unable to create a link between Pakistan and India, with India not highlighting as an option. Chinese agent was able to link from India to Pakistan and links worked properly thereafter. Not replicable on future tries.
    That's strange. Especially because Anarion reported the same, one-time bug between two different countries. I suspect there's an edge case somewhere that isn't creating the adjacency lists properly, but without more data it's hard to say.

- One or more extra units (from the lack of display space you noted) are appearing in the bottom left of the map (west of Argentina) on turns 11 and beyond. The (topmost?) one is selectable, but cannot move anywhere. Replicable.
    How many units were in the Country before the extra units spawned? If it's 4 or more, then this should be fixed in later versions. Right now, the game only places 6 units per country.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    How many units were in the Country before the extra units spawned? If it's 4 or more, then this should be fixed in later versions. Right now, the game only places 6 units per country.
    The full six. I know they can't show any more, but down in the bottom left is where they seem to be showing up instead. You can see it by just spamming the end turn button while there are 4 or more in the start countries.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2017-04-07 at 12:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

The full six. I know they can't show any more, but down in the bottom left is where they seem to be showing up instead. You can see it by just spamming the end turn button while there are 4 or more in the start countries.
    Yeah, that makes sense. In a later milestone, I'm going to rejigger how units are displayed on Countries, to better accommodate larger numbers of units.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

On today's episode of "Amish Makes Abysmal Prototype UI", we have Milestone 4.

Spoiler: Milestone 4
    Show

This is the first pass of Technology. Features include:
    -15 Technologies
    -Basic technology growths
    -Technologies considered adopted at 1.0 saturation. Saturation goes from 0 to 2.0
    -Owned countries will have all technologies grow by .3 saturation per turn
    -Countries that have adopted a Technology will push it on their neighbors, at the rate of .1 saturation per turn
    -Executives can Push Tech on a country at a rate of .5 saturation per turn
    -Armies can Confiscate Tech at a rate of -.4 saturation per turn
    -Clicking on a Country (when a unit is not selected) will bring up a list of current Technology Saturations, and whether the Tech is growing or receding.

I did have more stylish names for different levels of Tech Saturation (Absent, Emerging, Adopted, Total Saturation) but I figured the raw numbers would make for a more clear prototype. I forgot to put something in to clearly indicate when a Technology is saturated; I'll put that in next milestone.

Next up: Technology Policies, Lab growth bonuses, and Unit Adoption bonuses

Side note: Man. This code is ugly. Everything in me wants to clean this up, polish it, and make it pretty again. But if I spend a day making pretty code, that's a day spent not making new features and mechanics. So long as the ugliness of the code doesn't prevent me from making those features, it should be fine. I haven't been in this rapid prototyping stage for a while, and it's a great learning experience.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2017-04-13 at 01:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

I'm unclear at this point on the rules for movement. It seems like I can freely move to any linked space properly, but not from a port to another port if no link is present between the two. Is that working correctly? I also note that the available link highlighting is weird. For example, sitting with P2 executive in India, agent and army in China, if I click forge link, China does not highlight, but if then click on the China box, a link is forged and I can move back to China from India.

I'm also very confused about where/when push tech is happening. I think it's happening at the end of player 2's turn for both executives (is that when it should happen) and it's based on whatever you last selected for push tech and the location where the executive ended turn. Also, at least for me on windowed mode, the list per country wasn't long enough, so when I tried doing anything Medical Science or lower, I just couldn't see the results because the list stopped at Advanced Ethics.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm unclear at this point on the rules for movement. It seems like I can freely move to any linked space properly, but not from a port to another port if no link is present between the two. Is that working correctly? I also note that the available link highlighting is weird. For example, sitting with P2 executive in India, agent and army in China, if I click forge link, China does not highlight, but if then click on the China box, a link is forged and I can move back to China from India.

I'm also very confused about where/when push tech is happening. I think it's happening at the end of player 2's turn for both executives (is that when it should happen) and it's based on whatever you last selected for push tech and the location where the executive ended turn. Also, at least for me on windowed mode, the list per country wasn't long enough, so when I tried doing anything Medical Science or lower, I just couldn't see the results because the list stopped at Advanced Ethics.
    You have to forge a link to move port to port, but highlighting isn't there for port links yet.

One thing I noticed, and is correct afaik but not clear to the user, is that moving an exec after asking them to push tech cancels that order.

Like Anarion, I can't see the full tech list in the corner, but as it is happening in your screenshot as well Amish, I suspect you know this already. Maybe just move it up a bit and turn on vertical overflow.

I'm also seeing some ugly numbers for saturation, at .8 and .9 (tons of extra decimal places). Might want to throw some better rounding in there, or just cut it off after one or two during the string conversion.

Oh also, there is no way to claim a country yet right? So the only places naturally developing tech are the US and China.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2017-04-13 at 07:51 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

One thing I noticed, and is correct afaik but not clear to the user, is that moving an exec after asking them to push tech cancels that order.
    Oh! That explains why I was getting inconsistency. Yeah, that was not clear at all.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

You have to forge a link to move port to port, but highlighting isn't there for port links yet.
    Aye. When I implemented the highlighting feature, I figured that:
    1) There were many port cities, which would involve a lot of highlighting/un-highlighting/room for things to go wrong.
    2) Port cities were marked with a (P), so there wouldn't be a need to highlight them.

I can throw something together to highlight port cities as well. Inconsistency isn't a good thing.

I'm also very confused about where/when push tech is happening. I think it's happening at the end of player 2's turn for both executives (is that when it should happen) and it's based on whatever you last selected for push tech and the location where the executive ended turn.
    Yep. Tech growths happen at the end of Player 2's turn. We're starting to get into nitty-gritty system details, such as when units should spawn or when Technology should spread. I'm making my best judgement call when these things come up, with the knowledge that I can always change them around later if we like. This is prototype code, nothing is set in stone.

Like Anarion, I can't see the full tech list in the corner, but as it is happening in your screenshot as well Amish, I suspect you know this already. Maybe just move it up a bit and turn on vertical overflow.
    Also, at least for me on windowed mode, the list per country wasn't long enough, so when I tried doing anything Medical Science or lower, I just couldn't see the results because the list stopped at Advanced Ethics.
    ...son of a gun. I never noticed that.

I'll fix that up for the next milestone.

I'm also seeing some ugly numbers for saturation, at .8 and .9 (tons of extra decimal places). Might want to throw some better rounding in there, or just cut it off after one or two during the string conversion.
    I've noticed those too. Not sure why that's happening, as nothing ever goes beyond one decimal place. I'll put in something to catch that.

Oh also, there is no way to claim a country yet right? So the only places naturally developing tech are the US and China.
    You can claim Countries! Military units...

...used to have a button that said "Deploy," but it seems I accidentally got rid of it. Oops.

EDIT: Ah, I see what's happened here. I put the Confiscate Tech button directly over the Deploy Button. That'll do it.

Oh! That explains why I was getting inconsistency. Yeah, that was not clear at all.
    This was the first instance of a new type of unit action, where a unit is supposed to continue doing an action until otherwise ordered. You don't want to have to keep telling the Executive to push the same technology turn after turn. And since I've disabled the 1 action/turn limit, it's really easy to move a unit after telling them to do this action, which cancels the action. Once that limit comes back in, it'll be harder to accidentally cancel.

That said, any ideas on how to indicate that a unit is currently performing such an action? Maybe I can put something in the Unit UI like, "Currently Pushing Tech [Social Media]."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2017-04-14 at 09:21 AM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Back-to-back horrible prototype UI updates!

Spoiler: Milestone 5
    Show

New features:
    -Unit action buttons are no longer shamefully hiding behind each other
    -Clicking on a Country you own will give you the option to bring up a Policy menu. You can set Technology to be banned or allowed.
    -Banning a Technology drops its saturation by .4 a turn
    -All Technology starts Banned
    -Neutral Countries will not be affected by Tech Policies, even if you previously owned them/set policies for them
    -Units will spread a Technology to their current Country if their home Country has adopted it. Each unit will increase the saturation rate by .1 per turn.
    -Units will now display a message if they are currently Pushing/Confiscating a Technology.
    -Ports will now be highlighted for forging influence links

Partway through developing this milestone, I realized that we had nothing else to support Labs yet, so I pushed back Lab spread bonuses to a future milestone. I also want to add a line in the Unit UI to show which Country they spawned from, but since units are only spawning from the starting Countries, I didn't feel like it was necessary at this time.

Feeling pretty good about our progress here. For what it's worth, the prototype plan I made was three pages long. We're nearly to the end of the second page with this update. It's not the greatest indication of progress, but still, things are moving along. I'm thinking the next update is going to be a two-parter; overhauling unit actions so they have a chance for failure, and giving Technologies randomized effects that play with those odds.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Colossus in the Playground

Currently having a really tough time with digital art. I'm just caught up on tools again, which has been this recurring bugbear that I just really hate running into. Art is the most fun for me when I know what all my options do and I can just enter a flowstate but at the moment I'm just banging my head against the mechanics. It's a combination of being out of practice with digital and trying to move into some very flightsimulator-esque art programs. I should probably scale back my ambitions and start doing more single-issue practice pieces.

Sketching and basic blocking is getting to be really solid nowadays though so at least I got that going for me!

16. - Top - End - #286

Hey Amish, my mind has drifted due to a bunch of things, what should I be working on right now?
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2017-04-19 at 09:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Hey Amish, my mind has drifted due to a bunch of things, what should I be working on right now?
    Right now, it would be most helpful for you to work on finishing up the Bonus/Development system. It doesn't need to be perfect, but if you can give me an idea of what the system should be capable of doing, that would be grand.

EDIT: And something you could help me with right now; when do unit actions resolve? Say that I tell my Executive to forge an influence link. There is a chance of failure there, so it may take several turns for the action to succeed. Do I know right away whether it has succeeded or failed? Or do all the actions fire off at the end of the player's turn?

If there's a specific game that you're thinking of that uses a similar action system, that would also be helpful to know. I'm hacking together something of a turn structure with the last few and the next few milestones.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2017-04-20 at 01:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288

Right now, it would be most helpful for you to work on finishing up the Bonus/Development system. It doesn't need to be perfect, but if you can give me an idea of what the system should be capable of doing, that would be grand.
    Sure I'll think over the weekend and see about making a pass on Monday.

EDIT: And something you could help me with right now; when do unit actions resolve? Say that I tell my Executive to forge an influence link. There is a chance of failure there, so it may take several turns for the action to succeed. Do I know right away whether it has succeeded or failed? Or do all the actions fire off at the end of the player's turn?

If there's a specific game that you're thinking of that uses a similar action system, that would also be helpful to know. I'm hacking together something of a turn structure with the last few and the next few milestones.
    Turn beginning. Upkeep, agents refresh, actions resolve, headline, turn begins.

If it fires at the end of your turn then you've created that horrible Stardew Valley trap that means that people can never stop playing. Each new turn you should feel like your plans have paid off and it's time to adjust for crisises that happened off turn and advance your agenda.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Turn beginning. Upkeep, agents refresh, actions resolve, headline, turn begins.

If it fires at the end of your turn then you've created that horrible Stardew Valley trap that means that people can never stop playing. Each new turn you should feel like your plans have paid off and it's time to adjust for crisises that happened off turn and advance your agenda.
    My understanding of "turn" is "the beginning of the Player's turn, after Mr. Johnson finishes his turn." A couple of implications for that:

1) The player will have an advantage in initiative, in that they get to react first to the changed board state as a result of unit actions.

2) In the case of Countermeasures and Insurrection, there is a chance that the player's action will be rendered moot by what Mr. Johnson does. Namely, if he moves the appropriate unit out of the area, the unit can no longer be killed. Unless we rule that movement is just another form of action, which leads nicely into...

3) We need a system to resolve ties. If the player and Mr. Johnson both attempt to forge an influence link with a country that only has room for one more link, what happens? If a Superweapon is one turn away from deployment, and an occupying Army unit is one turn away from un-adopting the corresponding Technology, what happens? If one Agent performs Countermeasures against an Agent performing an Insurrection against a deployed Army, what happens?

I think it could be a fine way to set up the turn order, but these are things we need to address/should keep in mind.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

My understanding of "turn" is "the beginning of the Player's turn, after Mr. Johnson finishes his turn." A couple of implications for that:

1) The player will have an advantage in initiative, in that they get to react first to the changed board state as a result of unit actions.

2) In the case of Countermeasures and Insurrection, there is a chance that the player's action will be rendered moot by what Mr. Johnson does. Namely, if he moves the appropriate unit out of the area, the unit can no longer be killed. Unless we rule that movement is just another form of action, which leads nicely into...

3) We need a system to resolve ties. If the player and Mr. Johnson both attempt to forge an influence link with a country that only has room for one more link, what happens? If a Superweapon is one turn away from deployment, and an occupying Army unit is one turn away from un-adopting the corresponding Technology, what happens? If one Agent performs Countermeasures against an Agent performing an Insurrection against a deployed Army, what happens?

I think it could be a fine way to set up the turn order, but these are things we need to address/should keep in mind.
    I'm imagining that there would be two resolution steps, one for the player and one for Mr. Johnson, that would resolve most of these issues.

So, for example, let's say that I start my turn.
    1) My upkeep phase happens and my executive finishes his previous action (let's say he was pushing a tech somewhere and that's done).
    2) It's now my main phase. I move my exec to a new country and start forging a new influence link there and end my turn.
    3) It's Johnson's upkeep phase. He finishes what he was doing, say also pushing a tech.
    4) It's Johnson's main phase. He "makes a mistake" for this example and moves to the same country as my executive and tries to start forging an influence link, ending his turn.
    5) My turn starts and it's my upkeep. My executive finishes his influence link, that country is set and now Johnson's action is cancelled because it has become impossible in the current game state.

A smart Johnson would never have moved to the country in the first place once he saw I was there (unless my action in the country is hidden information from him), and on the flip side if I see that Johnson is hanging out somewhere forging an influence link, it would be a waste of my turn to move to that country and begin forging such a link.

Also, if that's the way it's structured, I would suggest coding such that an executive forging a link makes that link "busy" as far as the game is concerned so that the other executive attempting to forge the same link would get an "invalid action" response rather than allowing a novice player to straight up waste an action.

Thanqol, is that how you were thinking it would go?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, and one other rules clarification to the pile: When a unit is moving to a country, and there's some movement effect like "it takes you twice as long to travel to this Country," then it should take that unit two turns to move there. The unit makes its move on the first turn, but where is it on the second turn? Is it in some in-between "in transit" state where nothing can touch it? Is it still waiting around in the first Country? Is it in the second Country, but unable to do anything for a turn?

(For movement effects that increase movement speed/cause units to move for free, I'm thinking of just increasing the range of valid countries that the unit can move to, and handle movement as normal.)

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, and one other rules clarification to the pile: When a unit is moving to a country, and there's some movement effect like "it takes you twice as long to travel to this Country," then it should take that unit two turns to move there. The unit makes its move on the first turn, but where is it on the second turn? Is it in some in-between "in transit" state where nothing can touch it? Is it still waiting around in the first Country? Is it in the second Country, but unable to do anything for a turn?

(For movement effects that increase movement speed/cause units to move for free, I'm thinking of just increasing the range of valid countries that the unit can move to, and handle movement as normal.)
    My vote is that the unit remains in country 1 with some kind of "bogged down" state applied to it as its going. So it might be possible for other units to disrupt it during that intervening turn as well. That would be nice as a way to make the movement altering effects powerful in subtle strategic ways (like, "gosh, the Red Sea really is a bottleneck!").
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

My vote is that the unit remains in country 1 with some kind of "bogged down" state applied to it as its going. So it might be possible for other units to disrupt it during that intervening turn as well. That would be nice as a way to make the movement altering effects powerful in subtle strategic ways (like, "gosh, the Red Sea really is a bottleneck!").
    This is where I was leaning as well, for the record.

24. - Top - End - #294

Day 2158: Koaning

A simple, fun piece. Gamewords stuff soon hopefully

Links

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

I'm here, with a massively disappointing update!

Spoiler: Boo this update! BOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Show

So, this update is the one where I refactor the action system. Which means that everything should work roughly the same as it always has, and there's not much to show.
    • Actions are now queued up, and will fire off at the start of your next turn.
    • Clicking on a unit you own will display its current action, if it has one.
    • You still get unlimited moves, but you now can only take one action per turn.

Not the most exciting update, but a necessary one. Next up, I'm going to actually put in failure chances, and make Technology affect those chances.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Suppose an Executive is pushing a Technology in a given Country. Said Country has adopted a Technology that provides a bonus to pushing tech. The Executive's home Country has adopted the same Technology.

Do those effects stack? Is it possible to double-dip on Technology effects? My gut says no, but that could be unclear to the player. Double-effects may just be a feature of the system.

EDIT: For the record, the answer to any of questions like this can be, "I don't know, let's playtest and find out what's better."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2017-04-27 at 05:34 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297

I'm imagining that there would be two resolution steps, one for the player and one for Mr. Johnson, that would resolve most of these issues.

1) My upkeep phase happens and my executive finishes his previous action (let's say he was pushing a tech somewhere and that's done).
    2) It's now my main phase. I move my exec to a new country and start forging a new influence link there and end my turn.
    3) It's Johnson's upkeep phase. He finishes what he was doing, say also pushing a tech.
    4) It's Johnson's main phase. He "makes a mistake" for this example and moves to the same country as my executive and tries to start forging an influence link, ending his turn.
    5) My turn starts and it's my upkeep. My executive finishes his influence link, that country is set and now Johnson's action is cancelled because it has become impossible in the current game state.

A smart Johnson would never have moved to the country in the first place once he saw I was there (unless my action in the country is hidden information from him), and on the flip side if I see that Johnson is hanging out somewhere forging an influence link, it would be a waste of my turn to move to that country and begin forging such a link.

Also, if that's the way it's structured, I would suggest coding such that an executive forging a link makes that link "busy" as far as the game is concerned so that the other executive attempting to forge the same link would get an "invalid action" response rather than allowing a novice player to straight up waste an action.

Yes, Anarion's got the right of it.

Again with this one.

Suppose an Executive is pushing a Technology in a given Country. Said Country has adopted a Technology that provides a bonus to pushing tech. The Executive's home Country has adopted the same Technology.

Do those effects stack? Is it possible to double-dip on Technology effects? My gut says no, but that could be unclear to the player. Double-effects may just be a feature of the system.

EDIT: For the record, the answer to any of questions like this can be, "I don't know, let's playtest and find out what's better."
    Good catch. +Technology spread and +Executive pushing are different modifiers. A +tech spread country has a bonus to all techs spread in that country, a +pushing tech makes execs better at pushing that tech regardless of country.

28. - Top - End - #298

So here's that big second pass on modifiers I said was coming, and including Africa!

Spoiler: Many Words
    Show
    MODIFIERS
    Ban: This effect only occurs on the tier at which it is listed

International Port: Any country with an International Port can be Linked to another country with an International Port regardless of distance
    Nuclear Deterrent: Superweapons cannot be used in this country
    Superpower: This is the home of one of the players
    Output: Army - produces an army every X turns
    Output: Agent - produces an agent every X turns
    Output: Executive - produces an executive every X turns
    Laboratory: Each lab allows one ongoing research project and increases tech spread in the country it is in
    Environmental Collapse: A country with this modifier at this tier contributes significantly to global warming
    NORAD/Solidarity: Enemy armies can't move into any linked countries.
    Border Closures: -50% USA output
    NAFTA: +25% USA output
    Missile Crisis/Hot War: If controlled by the enemy, USA loses Nuclear Deterrent
    International Doctors: +50% superweapon resistance
    The Jungle is Neutral: China suffers a 1-Agent Insurgency
    Financial Schlerosis: -25% output for all linked countries
    Digital Hub: Add +1 development level to each linked country
    Economic Ruin: 1/2 development speed
    Shipping Interdiction: Enemy ocean travel to any country linked to this one takes 2x as long
    Shipping hub: Additional international port
    Lucky Country: Economic Ruin is removed from all regions in Oceania
    Green Energy: global warming reduction
    Global Espionage: Can teleport an agent stationed in this country anywhere on the map
    Isolationism: Britain does not count as part of Western Europe
    Regional Integration: Britain and all countries linked to Britain gain +25% output
    Culturally Influential: Tech spread between any countries linked to France is doubled
    Cultural Harmonization: All countries linked to France gain the effects of all technologies present in France
    Colonial Hegemon: If controlled, provides control over all linked tier 1 countries
    Latin Trade: All South American countries count as adjacent for the purposes of forming links.
    International Aid: 2x development speed and tech spread to all linked tier 1 countries
    Nordic Union: Linked Eastern European countries count as being in Western Europe
    Bureaucratic Crisis: European countries take 2x as long to form links
    Regional Power: Base of 4 links. Can instantly form or break links
    EU Federalization/African Union: All countries in the this region are permanently linked to each other.
    Colonized State: Russia gets +50% output
    Exports terror: Random adjacent country suffers a one-agent Insurgency
    Fortress: Agents may not enter this country
    Regional Peace: This country and all Linked countries lose Conflict Zone
    Conflict Zone: Armies may conventionally engage each other in this country
    Banking Crisis: All linked countries gain Economic Ruin
    Sphere of Influence: All Linked countries gain Conflict Zone
    Retake Crimea: Russia loses International Port, Ukraine gains International Port
    Hermit Kingdom: Can sever influence links to this country instantly and for free
    Gateway to Europe: Your opponent cannot form port links to or from Western Europe
    Blitzkrieg: Armies gain +1 movement speed
    Practical Experience: All armies take 50% less penalty from negative techs
    Regional War: All countries in the region count as Conflict Zones.
    Staging Area: Armies may travel to this country via sea even without an influence link
    Resource Curse: 2x Development speed to any Linked Tier 2+ countries
    International Commerce: +1 Executive Speed
    Trade Hegemon: All trade links may be international
    Global Nexus: It does not cost a move to pass through this country
    Tech Hub: +50% technology spread speed to linked countries
    Regional Bank: Linked countries cannot drop below Tier 2.
    Nonproliferation Treaty: All countries linked gain Nuclear Deterrent
    Pirate Haven: Any country Linked to this one loses the effect of Resource Curse
    Regional Stability: Doubles development rate of any linked African country

REGION: NORTH AMERICA
    Gameplay consideration: This is a starter area, just enough to get the player off the ground.

NORTH AMERICA

USA

TIER 1
    International Port, Nuclear Deterrent, Superpower
    TIER 2
    Output: Army, Executive, Agent
    TIER 3
    Laboratory

Canada

TIER 1
    Environmental Collapse
    TIER 2
    Output: Army
    TIER 3
    NORAD: enemy armies can't move into any linked countries.

Mexico

TIER 1
    Border Closures (ban): -50% USA output, international port
    TIER 2
    Output: Executive
    TIER 3
    NAFTA: +25% USA output

Cuba

TIER 1
    Missile Crisis: If controlled by the enemy, USA loses Nuclear Deterrent
    TIER 2
    Output: Agent
    TIER 3
    International Doctors: +50% superweapon resistance to any linked country

EAST ASIA

China

TIER 1
    Superpower, Nuclear deterrent, international port
    TIER 2
    Output: Army, executive, agent
    TIER 3
    Laboratory

Vietnam

TIER 1
    The Jungle is Neutral (ban): China suffers a 1-Agent Insurgency
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    Solidarity: Enemy armies can't move into any linked country.

Japan

TIER 1
    Banking Crisis (ban): All linked countries gain Economic Ruin, International Port
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    Laboratory

Korea

TIER 1
    Hot War: If controlled by a foreign power, China loses Nuclear Deterrent
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    Digital Hub: Add +1 development level to each linked country

OCEANIA

Philippines

TIER 1
    Economic Ruin: 1/2 development speed, International Port
    TIER 2
    Shipping Interdiction: Enemy ocean travel to any country linked to this one takes 2x as long
    TIER 3

Australia

TIER 1
    TIER 2
    Laboratory
    TIER 3
    Lucky Country: Economic Ruin is removed from all regions in Oceania

New Zealand

TIER 1
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    Green Energy: Reduction to Global Warming

Singapore

TIER 1
    TIER 2
    Global Espionage: Can teleport an agent stationed in this country anywhere on the map
    TIER 3

WESTERN EUROPE

Federal Britain

TIER 1
    International Port, Nuclear Deterrent, Isolationism: Britain does not count as part of Western Europe
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    Regional Integration: Britain and all countries linked to Britain gain +25% output

France

TIER 1
    Nuclear deterrent, International Port
    TIER 2
    Culturally Influential: Tech spread between any countries linked to France is doubled
    TIER 3
    Cultural Harmonization: All countries linked to France gain the effects of all technologies present in France

Spain

TIER 1
    Economic Ruin, International Port
    TIER 2
    Colonial Hegemon: If controlled, provides control over all linked tier 1 countries
    TIER 3
    Latin Trade: All South American countries count as adjacent for the purposes of forming links.

Sweden

TIER 1
    International Port
    TIER 2
    International Aid: 2x development speed and tech spread to all linked tier 1 countries
    TIER 3
    Nordic Union: Linked Eastern European countries count as being in Western Europe

Germany

TIER 1
    Bureaucratic Crisis (ban): European countries take 2x as long to form links
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    EU Federalization: All countries in the Europe region are permanently linked to each other.

Italy

TIER 1
    Financial Sclerosis (ban): -25% output for all linked countries
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    Laboratory

EASTERN EUROPE

Poland

TIER 1
    Regional War (ban): All countries in the region count as Conflict Zones.
    TIER 2
    TIER 3

Baltics

TIER 1
    Colonized State: Russia gets +50% output
    TIER 2
    Exports terror: Random linked country suffers a one-agent Insurgency
    TIER 3
    Fortress: Agents may not enter this country

Balkans

TIER 1
    Banking Crisis (ban): All linked countries gain Economic Ruin, Conflict Zone
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    Regional Peace: The Balkans and all Linked countries lose Conflict Zone

Russia

TIER 1
    Nuclear Deterrent, International Port
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    Sphere of Influence: All Linked countries gain Conflict Zone

Ukraine

TIER 1
    Graveyard of Empires: Permanent one-agent Insurgency, Colonized State (ban): Russia gets +50% development
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    Retake Crimea: Russia loses International Port, Ukraine gains International Port

Turkey

TIER 1
    International Port
    TIER 2
    Hermit Kingdom: Can sever influence links to this country instantly and for free
    TIER 3
    Gateway to Europe: Western Europe cannot form new port links

MIDDLE EAST

Iraq

TIER 1
    Conflict Zone: Armies may conventionally engage each other in this country.
    TIER 2
    Blitzkrieg: Armies gain +1 movement speed
    TIER 3
    Practical Experience: All armies take 50% less penalty from negative techs

Syria

TIER 1
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    Laboratory

Algeria

TIER 1
    TIER 2
    TIER 3

Egypt

TIER 1
    International Port
    TIER 2
    TIER 3

Iran

TIER 1
    Nuclear Deterrent
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    War With Saudi Arabia: All countries in the Middle East count as Conflict Zones.

Saudi Arabia

TIER 1
    International Port
    TIER 2
    Exports Terror: Every turn an Insurgency hits one linked country, chosen at random
    TIER 3
    Colonial Hegemon: Provides control over all tier 1 countries this country is linked to

Israel

TIER 1
    International Port, Nuclear Deterrent
    TIER 2
    Staging Area: Armies may travel to this country via sea even without an influence link
    TIER 3

CENTRAL ASIA

Pakistan

TIER 1
    Rogue Nukes: Superweapons can be deployed in any country linked to this one
    TIER 2
    Exports Terror: Every turn an insurgency hits one country this country is linked to, chosen at random
    TIER 3
    Peace Declared: Pakistan loses the previous two effects

Afghanistan

TIER 1
    Graveyard of Empires: Permanent one-Agent Insurgency
    TIER 2
    TIER 3

India

TIER 1
    International Port, Nuclear Deterrent
    TIER 2
    International Commerce: +1 Executive Speed
    TIER 3

Thailand

TIER 1
    International Port
    TIER 2
    Trade Hegemon: All trade links may be international
    TIER 3

SOUTH AMERICA

Brazil

TIER 1
    Environmental Collapse
    TIER 2
    Laboratory
    TIER 3
    International Port, Biotech Hub: +50% technology spread speed to linked countries

Columbia

TIER 1
    Environmental Collapse
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    International Port

Peru

TIER 1
    Environmental Collapse
    TIER 2
    +1 Agent Speed
    TIER 3

Venezuela

TIER 1
    Environmental Collapse
    TIER 2
    International Aid: If developed, 2x Development speed and tech growth to all linked countries
    TIER 3
    Green Energy: Reduction in global warming

Argentina

TIER 1
    Environmental Collapse
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    Regional Bank: Linked countries cannot drop below Tier 2.

AFRICA
    A poor and colonized reason, Africa grows progressively less useful and more difficult to control the more it becomes developed and stable.

South Africa
    TIER 1
    Resource Curse: 2x Development speed to any Tier 2+ country linked to this one, International Port, Rogue Nukes
    TIER 2
    Loses the effect of Rogue Nukes
    TIER 3
    Nonproliferation Treaty: All countries linked to South Africa gain Nuclear Deterrent

Democratic Republic of the Congo
    TIER 1
    Resource Curse, International Port, Conflict Zone
    TIER 2
    TIER 3
    Peace and Independence: Congo loses Conflict Zone, all armies in Linked countries become 50% weaker

Nigeria
    TIER 1
    Resource Curse, Conflict Zone
    TIER 2
    International port, Output: Executive
    TIER 3
    African Union: all African countries are permanently linked to Nigeria

Ethiopia
    TIER 1
    Resource Curse: 2x Development speed to any Tier 2+ country linked to this one, International Port
    TIER 2
    Independence Movement: Gains Graveyard of Empires and Conflict Zone
    TIER 3
    International Revolution: Gains Exports Terror

Somalia
    TIER 1
    International port, Conflict Zone, Pirate Haven: Any country Linked to this one loses the effect of Resource Curse
    TIER 2
    Loses the effect of Pirate Haven
    TIER 3
    Regional Stability: Doubles development rate of any linked African country

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Question about Agent actions: Are Countermeasures and Assassinate two different actions? Or does Countermeasures provide a mallus to Exec/Agent actions AND give a chance to kill enemy Agents?

Yes, Anarion's got the right of it.
    Given that, right now, there's no way to look at what actions an enemy unit is taking, I think keeping the link "busy" is wise.

Good catch. +Technology spread and +Executive pushing are different modifiers. A +tech spread country has a bonus to all techs spread in that country, a +pushing tech makes execs better at pushing that tech regardless of country.
    Right, I got the different modifiers. Where I'm uncertain is that there's sometimes two opportunities for a given Technology to apply its effects; the Unit performing the action, and the Country in which they are performing the action. (For Forge Link/Break Link, there's an additional Country involved, so three opportunities total.) I'm not sure how those should stack, if at all.

So here's that big second pass on modifiers I said was coming, and including Africa!
    Goodness! That's a lot of words. I'm coming up on the Bonus/Developing milestone, so I'll be going over this in detail soon.

For you, next feature I'd work on is the Global Warming/Environment system. That's a big feature that we don't have down yet.

30. - Top - End - #300

Question about Agent actions: Are Countermeasures and Assassinate two different actions? Or does Countermeasures provide a mallus to Exec/Agent actions AND give a chance to kill enemy Agents?
    Jeez, I don't know, test both.

Goodness! That's a lot of words. I'm coming up on the Bonus/Developing milestone, so I'll be going over this in detail soon.

For you, next feature I'd work on is the Global Warming/Environment system. That's a big feature that we don't have down yet.
    Sure. Will think about it.

So, Warhammer 40K 8th Edition is coming out soon.

I've wanted to play Warhammer since I was six, and already would be if Age of Sigmar didn't turn out to be literally the worst. So I'm going to be keeping a close eye on 8E and - again with the presumption that it's not literally the worst, which tbh is a pretty big presumption when it comes to GW - when it hits I may transition my drawproject into a painting and modelling project.

God I hope it's not garbage. It's been my earliest life goal to have a Warhammer army (and yes, I'm clear eyed about all the problems and implications, but six year old me made up his mind pretty firmly).