Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 596
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    And now for a group shot!

    Links
    Scrapscallion has that 'Miami Vice' look going well for 'em.
    Are they to scale with each other? Cause Glimmer's tallness is <3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Scrapscallion has that 'Miami Vice' look going well for 'em.
    Are they to scale with each other? Cause Glimmer's tallness is <3
    They are, alicorns are huge. Luminark's neck should be a little longer but other than that.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2016-06-21 at 08:39 AM.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 1853: Jungle Swing

    And now for a group shot!

    Links
    Why do I feel like I've met Scrapscallion somewhere else before?

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Why do I feel like I've met Scrapscallion somewhere else before?
    You're a time traveller. Or you're reading the Fallout Equestria OOC thread.

    Day 1855: A Busy Man

    Feeling good. Crisises are past.

    Links
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    You're a time traveller. Or you're reading the Fallout Equestria OOC thread.
    Which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Feeling good. Crisises are past.
    Links
    Yay! So no more floods and plagues? We now journey home?

    I think that right pose could be pushed a bit more. Assuming it's a running pose.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    You're a time traveller. Or you're reading the Fallout Equestria OOC thread.
    Not either of those, I seem to have met his human form in an advertisement for one of those GTA games...

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    So, I have an art request. I'd like a drawing, however you might interpret it, of the Drow Jones Industrial Average. Note the extra R.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    So, I have an art request. I'd like a drawing, however you might interpret it, of the Drow Jones Industrial Average. Note the extra R.
    Alright.

    Day 1859: Hit The Floor

    Looking at motion, studying this guy.

    Links
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Looking at motion, studying this guy.

    Links
    Just looking at the sketches brings Michael Jackson's Billy Jean to mind.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Day 1865: Nervous

    So the staycation didn't go exactly according to plan. Turned out to be a lot more materialist and less spiritual than I was hoping. There was too much stuff swirling around and to catch up with to really activate full scale creativity mode.

    But I absorbed a lot of information, I got a huge amount of demands on my time out of the way, I got a lot of sunlight and found a whole lot of peaceful moments. And for a six week period where it was pretty much just me in my own house, only going out for groceries, I had a blast. I could do that forever, and that's beautiful to know. It means I've discovered what bliss is at the age of 26 and I don't need anyone but me to create it. That's a pretty good result.

    Links
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Day 1874: *ANGRY GRUNTS*

    NO FUN ALLOWED

    Links
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    NO FUN ALLOWED

    Links
    His legs look like they're two different designs. not necessarily a bad thing if the idea was a piecemeal suit. Upper body looks well built.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Just a statement that I'm still alive and still drawing, but given the fact that I currently have no floor - among other crisies - means that it's pretty much a bare minimum holding pattern thing until my life comes back together.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    The Artisan's Dungeon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Amazing improvement, always awesome to see these kinds of threads! keep them coming, and goodluck with the journey!

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by steen_dl View Post
    Amazing improvement, always awesome to see these kinds of threads! keep them coming, and goodluck with the journey!
    Thanks. Hopefully I get my floor back next week and from there I'll be able to get my schedule back together!
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Day 1936: Home

    Oh my gosh.

    I've been fighting this thing for months now. And it's finally done. I finally have my floor back. I am no longer living in a construction site. I can breathe again.

    Going to celebrate by getting right back into digital art now that I finally have the peace and space to focus on it.

    It's not done yet. This blurry photograph doesn't do it justice. But it's clean.

    Links

    Music: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I've been fighting this thing for months now. And it's finally done. I finally have my floor back. I am no longer living in a construction site. I can breathe again.

    Going to celebrate by getting right back into digital art now that I finally have the peace and space to focus on it.
    Glad to hear it! Looks almost home again. ^^!
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Looks awesome. I think you need more art on your walls though.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Looks awesome. I think you need more art on your walls though.
    Immediately behind where I was standing when taking this is a 2mx2m piece of modern art that's just lookin' for a wall.

    So, decision one is that I'm not going to stick with Corel as my main program. It's just kind of clunky in a lot of places. I'm going to be taking Sean Mirrisen's advice and giving MyPaint and Krita a try. If this all disasters out I'm going to go back to SAI.

    Initial thought of MyPaint is really positive. Neat, uncluttered interface, responsive controls, all the tools I basically need. I've got a game tonight so I don't have time - and apparently I didn't post this yesterday. Oh well! Onwards!

    Day 1938: Skellington

    After a brief but nasty fight with MyPaint over pressure settings I'm finding I really like it for sketching. I mean, if you've been following these threads you'll have heard an endless series of OH BUT IF I COULD ONLY FIGURE OUT BRUSH SETTINGS I LIKE and this could be it. This felt really natural to do.

    Links
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Sean Mirrsen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Togliatti, Russia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 1938: Skellington
    Pretty neat! More the knight than the skellington, but neat nevertheless. Glad you're finding MyPaint to your liking. ^_^
    Give the deevad/4H pencil from Set #2 a try, it's the one I sketch basically everything with. Makes for softer and more natural-looking strokes for me.

    And once you go to try out Krita, look into grabbing this brush set: https://meemodraws.deviantart.com/ar...Pack-311306611
    The Sketch brushes are pretty much perfect at their defaults for improving on sketches drawn in MyPaint, and the blending tools in the pack are, for my tastes, strictly superior to those Krita itself comes with.
    (I'm not sure if I linked them already before, but just in case)

    Looking forward to what you can create with these tools. :)
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Day 1939 was a blarghsketch on account of yardwork knocking the hell out of me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Pretty neat! More the knight than the skellington, but neat nevertheless. Glad you're finding MyPaint to your liking. ^_^
    Give the deevad/4H pencil from Set #2 a try, it's the one I sketch basically everything with. Makes for softer and more natural-looking strokes for me.

    And once you go to try out Krita, look into grabbing this brush set: https://meemodraws.deviantart.com/ar...Pack-311306611
    The Sketch brushes are pretty much perfect at their defaults for improving on sketches drawn in MyPaint, and the blending tools in the pack are, for my tastes, strictly superior to those Krita itself comes with.
    (I'm not sure if I linked them already before, but just in case)

    Looking forward to what you can create with these tools. :)
    I'm not adjusting easily to that set. I'm accustomed to very different sketching approaches with much more bold lines and I was floundering a bit with how to transition it from a very vague 4H silhouette into anything resembling a more finished shape. Could you post a set of pictures with explains of how you transition between each layer of the sketch?

    Thanks for the brush pack!

    Day 1940: Newsman

    As mentioned, I had a tough time transitioning this out of the initial sketch. The 2B wasn't nearly as firm as I was used to.

    Links
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Sean Mirrsen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Togliatti, Russia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I'm not adjusting easily to that set. I'm accustomed to very different sketching approaches with much more bold lines and I was floundering a bit with how to transition it from a very vague 4H silhouette into anything resembling a more finished shape. Could you post a set of pictures with explains of how you transition between each layer of the sketch?
    I don't think I can give meaningful step-by-steps. My drawing style is a bit Spongebobian. This is "phase one", with just a bit of pre-setup with the base circles you can still see a bit. I don't so much transition into the next step, as I use my first layer to visualize the thing I'm drawing in more detail, and draw the more detailed drawing in the next layer, repeating as many times as necessary until it's more refined. I can't really explain the "how". :/

    Day 1940: Newsman

    As mentioned, I had a tough time transitioning this out of the initial sketch. The 2B wasn't nearly as firm as I was used to.

    Links
    If you have trouble using the harder pencils, then you should probably just draw in what way is comfortable to you. I'm probably not using the 4H in the way it's intended for, myself, I just find that it suits the kind of drawing style I've come to be using.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Day 1941: Directional

    Went back to a more familiar sketching style. Had another massive fight with MyPaint over pressure settings before figuring out that it didn't understand my tablet's wireless setting and just defaulted to the mouse as the only device; I eventually solved it by just plugging in again.

    Links
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    This character would look awesome as a news caster in some dystopian polluted future. ^^
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    M@XWeru's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    You're still doing this, huh? I gotta hand it to you, I'm humbled by your dedication.
    I don't mean to brag - it just sort of happens.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    This character would look awesome as a news caster in some dystopian polluted future. ^^
    That is in fact exactly what he is.

    Quote Originally Posted by M@XWeru View Post
    You're still doing this, huh? I gotta hand it to you, I'm humbled by your dedication.
    Thanks!

    It's been really difficult recently and I've been really down on myself for not meeting my ideals of output. Just like it gets easier to art the more you art, it gets easier to make excuses the more you make excuses - and after an extended period when I had actual reasons to lower my production I'm struggling to get back to a more intensive output. Counter-intuitively I've stopped carrying around my sketchbook so that I can't just brush off digital art with an 'I already did a picture on the bus'.

    Day 1946: Matrixesque

    Holy sweet crap I could not figure out the legs and feet. This isn't the pose I was trying to do but I could not figure out how the legs worked in the one I was attempting. I'm going to try and look at a bunch of superhero drawings to see how to stylize decent sets of legs. Anyone have any resources on that before I start?

    Links
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Day 1947: Pithy

    Normally I combine a bunch of models into a single picture; pose from one thing, fashion from another, face from a third, so that there's at least a bit of originality in what I draw. This isn't that; this is straight imitation from a 40K book while I get back into learning the ropes.

    Links
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Sean Mirrsen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Togliatti, Russia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Neat drawing. Linework looks messy in some places, but it does look okay overall.

    ------------------
    And then there's this. I've been trying to get myself to draw something since you asked for some step-by-steps, but I did say I can't do step-by-steps. What I can do though, is a timelapse. Only got a simple sketch this time, but maybe I'll think up something bigger next.

    Spoiler: Image is this
    Show


    Gfycat mangles the video quality (and can't do longer than 15 seconds), so here's a direct link. It's a webm, only some 30 seconds long, with a snapshot every 2 seconds. I think I have enough CPU power in this tablet to double that. Will try later.

    Hope it's helpful. In some way. Maybe for entertainment at least.

    And yes, I noticed that I forgot to retrace the tail on the second pass. I only noticed once I looked at the video. >_>
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    That is in fact exactly what he is.
    Guess you totally nailed it. :D


    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Holy sweet crap I could not figure out the legs and feet. This isn't the pose I was trying to do but I could not figure out how the legs worked in the one I was attempting. I'm going to try and look at a bunch of superhero drawings to see how to stylize decent sets of legs. Anyone have any resources on that before I start?
    Super hero drawings... hmm, no I don't seem to have any. most of my reference materials are stock footage of average people from Deviantart.



    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen
    Spoiler: Image is this
    Show
    That's pretty neat. Is the turret sitting on their lower back?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Neat drawing. Linework looks messy in some places, but it does look okay overall.

    ------------------
    And then there's this. I've been trying to get myself to draw something since you asked for some step-by-steps, but I did say I can't do step-by-steps. What I can do though, is a timelapse. Only got a simple sketch this time, but maybe I'll think up something bigger next.

    Spoiler: Image is this
    Show


    Gfycat mangles the video quality (and can't do longer than 15 seconds), so here's a direct link. It's a webm, only some 30 seconds long, with a snapshot every 2 seconds. I think I have enough CPU power in this tablet to double that. Will try later.

    Hope it's helpful. In some way. Maybe for entertainment at least.

    And yes, I noticed that I forgot to retrace the tail on the second pass. I only noticed once I looked at the video. >_>
    Okay, interesting, you do like 6 passes. Thank you for that, that does broaden my perspective.

    Day 1949: Cardinal

    I think this is the best sketch I've ever done.

    Links
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •