New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ropecon 2016 (29.-31.7.) in Finland

My game for the year is called "Vetehisten virsi". The system is Lamentations of the Flame Princess
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    My game for the year is called "Vetehisten virsi". The system is Lamentations of the Flame Princess
    *squints eyes* I have a feeling I've possibly been in one of your games before. Then again my memory might be playing tricks on me, but ya never know...

ION: I'm finding the schedule a bit hard to follow... I need like a calendar mode or something. ... it's also really hard to choose between games and panels after not having played tabletop rpgs in about two years. :|
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

It's possible.

Anyways, my games are apparently held at Saturday 11:00 and 16:00, and Sunday 11:00.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

I'll see if I can make it to one of your games. Would be interesting! Will you have ready made characters or is character creation involved?

Also, what have people thought about attending otherwise? Not sure about what panels I'd like to see yet at all, but games wise I am totally going to go for the Fiasco one. I've always wanted to try it sooo bad.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

One of these events: I don't really have the time to delve into the programme before Friday so I have no idea where I'll be going there. But I'd be down for at least running into GitPers there. That said, there doesn't seem to be much of an interest in an actual meet-up of any kind so I wonder how we'll actually find one another.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

But yes, I'm definitely down to see people. It's hard for me to pin point an actual time that I'm going to be available at the moment, but peeps who want to meet up deffo send me a PM I'll figure out how I'm gonna go about on Thursday, or tomorrow at the bus travelling down to Helsinki...
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I don't have very concrete plans as to where I'll be, because I don't enjoy planning this stuff in advance, but if there's any set times or places people intend to meet feel free to ask me to join, I'll try and make time.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

I mainly look for at least one game that I want to hop in before the con and have a rough idea of interesting panels and discussions, but otherwise I'm not too fussed about stuff.

Friday I'm interested in a couple of panels that are in the evening, otherwise I'll be roaming around aimlessly checking out demos and having a bit of a shopping spree with the little money that I've saved for this event. If I can make it on time I'm probably gonna try to get in and experience what kind of a GM Frozen_Feet is at 11o'clock on Saturday, and Sat night I'll be shoving myself into a game of Fiasco that's on from 20 to midnight. Will probs pop out to eat at my mum's place inbetween since she doesn't live too far away from the con venue, but yeah, I'm available most of the time.

Any random suggestions for a time & location to meet up at?
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2016-07-28 at 02:52 PM.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I probably will be able to be there only on one day. Most likely Saturday, it's got most stuff happening, so that's also the biggest chance of finding something interesting.

I'm ok with meeting people, though I'm really kind of awkward in person. ^^'
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Yay!

And it's ok. I'm horrible when meeting people for the first time, especially if I've not seen what they look like beforehand. Do you think you'll participate in any tabletop rpgs on Sat, CWater?
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

11. - Top - End - #41

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Yay!

And it's ok. I'm horrible when meeting people for the first time, especially if I've not seen what they look like beforehand. Do you think you'll participate in any tabletop rpgs on Sat, CWater?
    I don't know yet, maybe. I've never played TTRPGs at a con before, though I've often thought about it. Should check what they have.

And yeah, that's me too with people. ^^"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    I don't know yet, maybe. I've never played TTRPGs at a con before, though I've often thought about it. Should check what they have.

And yeah, that's me too with people. ^^"
    The first time I went to one was with a friend, but then I've started to go alone. It's somewhat daunting... but at the same time, it's kind of refreshing after you shake off the awkwardness of the beginning. :D
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll see if I can make it to one of your games. Would be interesting! Will you have ready made characters or is character creation involved?
    Both. I have empty sheets and filled ones from past games.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

At the con. If anyone needs to contact me, pop me a PM and I'll give you my tel.nr. It's the best way to get my attention esp. From 7pm onwards.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks to FinnLassie and Eldariel for joining my game. Hopefully I'll see more of you in the future.

16. - Top - End - #46

Likewise, thanks for the game, Frozen! It was great and I do like the concept - with these kinds of parties, it just keeps getting increasingly more interesting. In fact, it was the only game I had time for over the whole weekend (the whole rest of my weekend was basically dance practice, ball, the Pokémon Musical, meeting people) so I'm glad it delivered. Speaking of which: Finn, thanks for the exciting adventure your party had left behind

And it was great meeting the lot of you - Finn, CWater, Murska & Frozen. As always, there's way too little time to talk but hopefully we'll indeed be seeing more of each other in the future! The meetings this weekend would've probably never taken place if not for Finn's initiative (and some luck in how our schedules worked out), so special thanks to you for orchestrating most of this

I'll have to say though, the whole Con is so darn short there's barely time for anything: I'd like to tabletop (so many great games!), dance, meet people, LARP, play Artemis, play boardgames, play MTG, play Werewolf, boffer-fight and participate in some of the lectures and other program (e.g. the Pokémon musical this year - I'm so happy I finally got to see it) but alas, one needs to eat and sleep and then there's time for maybe 8 4-hour events over the whole weekend (but the dance practice and the ball are 6 hours each). Essentially 2˝ full days is just such a short time to enjoy all of one's hobbies and meet dozens of people.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Yep, thanks for everyone! As awkward as I am and end up babbling aimlessly when nervous, it was a good time seeing you all.
    I feel like after organising the UKitP Scotland meet up on Scotland's side (although many thanks for Albatross for booking the space, and thanks for everyone else for bringing them games) I've gathered a "oh what the hell, why not" kind of an attitude when meeting up with forumites & taking initiative. It's fun.

Frozen_Feet as a GM 6/5 would recommend, I don't think I've had this much fun in a long while. Perfect comeback to tabletops for me. Could you please take a pic of Jormatar and send it to me or put it up here? It seems like I didn't snap one of her before ripping it off from the notebook. Can't wait to see what the future for your campaign will look like...

I'll be GMing next year, based on the Fiasco game that I took part in during Saturday evening. It uh... it ended interestingly and my character ended up being a complete young-men-obsessed psychopath. Dunno if it'll be another Fiasco or if I'll transfer the characters and their back stories to another system. Gotta find a good & easy non combat system for that one though. Hmm. Anyways, it'd be fun to see peeps joining that game.

Hope you all had a good time!
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, it was very nice to meet you, although my time for conversation was cut short by a rival mafioso from the Assassination LARP. I'll be around next year as well, maybe have time for some games together.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

It was somewhat hilarious to be interrupted in such manner. but yup. Maybe next year there'll be a... uh... a more organised meet up. Board games seemed fun so that's an option.

But that's something to worry about next year...
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2016-08-02 at 04:09 PM.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, it's rather traditional to spend the event-less night hours playing board games (when weaker people sleep).
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

I heard that the board games section this year got super, super packed and they had to expand the area - which is nice to hear. Man, now I feel like playing Red November for some reason...

So how did you all like Messukeskus as a venue?
    I mostly had vietnam war - esque dramatic flashbacks from the time I used to work there (and Hartwall Areena) at Hesburger. All of my sympathies and cheers to the folk who spent their hours behind the counter.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Yeah, it's rather traditional to spend the event-less night hours playing board games (when weaker people sleep).
    Or Werewolf. I used to play Werewolf all night but nowadays that I spend 6 hours dancing (= physical exhaustion) and travel by car, I've unfortunately ended up wasting all those sweet hours driving home and sleeping instead (though being tired and hungry, I was careless enough to speed to a radar on Saturday amounting to a 200 euro ticket so it seems my solution doesn't entirely safeguard me against problems caused by tiredness either >_>)

I heard that the board games section this year got super, super packed and they had to expand the area - which is nice to hear. Man, now I feel like playing Red November for some reason...
    I, for one, would love to play a full game of Eclipse... Then again, that'd take half a day off Con so perhaps not there.

So how did you all like Messukeskus as a venue?
    I mostly had vietnam war - esque dramatic flashbacks from the time I used to work there (and Hartwall Areena) at Hesburger. All of my sympathies and cheers to the folk who spent their hours behind the counter.
    Well, the floor (or rather, carpet) of hall 101 is horrible for dancing. Or horrible doesn't really cut it: more like "absolutely appallingly atrocious". Both, the Pokémon musical dancers and all the ball participants seemed to agree on that fact. You basically can't slide your feet at all; you have to take everything as a step. Even pirouette en pointe is difficult to do there in spite of the minimal contact surface.

That's my only real complaint though. As a venue it was spacious enough for the various programmes, it was easy to get to by train (though by car, parking in the hall was ridiculously expensive and finding parking space otherwise was a tad tricky), the various rooms served their purpose well enough and it felt simpler than the whole setup at Otaniemi once I got used to it. The reputation of Messukeskus as one of the best possible sites for conventions or expositions is certainly warranted, I find. Though I don't really like the surrounding Pasila - it's a soulless concrete jungle compared to the lush Otaniemi or Helsinki proper.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2016-08-02 at 06:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Griffon

I am slow to respond... Yeah, pretty decent con and it was cool to meet you, even briefly!

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Yeah, it was very nice to meet you, although my time for conversation was cut short by a rival mafioso from the Assassination LARP. I'll be around next year as well, maybe have time for some games together.
    Hey, that was awesome! Added to the whole con feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Well, the floor (or rather, carpet) of hall 101 is horrible for dancing. Or horrible doesn't really cut it: more like "absolutely appallingly atrocious". Both, the Pokémon musical dancers and all the ball participants seemed to agree on that fact. You basically can't slide your feet at all; you have to take everything as a step. Even pirouette en pointe is difficult to do there in spite of the minimal contact surface.

That's my only real complaint though. As a venue it was spacious enough for the various programmes, it was easy to get to by train (though by car, parking in the hall was ridiculously expensive and finding parking space otherwise was a tad tricky), the various rooms served their purpose well enough and it felt simpler than the whole setup at Otaniemi once I got used to it. The reputation of Messukeskus as one of the best possible sites for conventions or expositions is certainly warranted, I find. Though I don't really like the surrounding Pasila - it's a soulless concrete jungle compared to the lush Otaniemi or Helsinki proper.
    Messukeskus has it's good and bad sides, true. I liked that all the activities were in the same building (even though it is a bit of a maze) and that it didn't feel cramped and the air was (mostly) fresh. Shame for the lack of green, though I must say this arrangement must have been so much easier for the organisers.

It's a mystery why they decided to put the dancing where they did. Surely there would have been other (better) places.

I'm half decided to try dancing myself next year. Maybe. It looks like fun.
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-08-04 at 02:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

One of the highest honours in Finland - Ropecon got into Fingerpori! :P

And yes, Messukeskus has its ups and downs. A lot of the downs did have to do with signs. The big screens that you pretty much only could see in the entrance hall were nice, but otherwise... I think I talked to CWater about how some of the smaller signs were a minger and made it hard to figure out where for example the merch area was. When you walked into Hall 5 there was just an A3 sized white paper on a white background pointing to the area and it was hard to spot - Hall 5 is huuuuuge. I got lost and confused and it wasn't fun, but hopefully next year we'll have it better I left feedback about it and AFAIK I wasn't the only one.

Hmm, I wonder how they'll fix the dance floor stuff next year since the floors are somewhat industrial (or horrifying, why is there dirty carpeting upstairs?! why is there carpeting in the conference section in the first place?!??!!) ... perhaps they just have to get some kind of a ... mat that fixes the issue. Like a dance floor mat. I don't even know if those exist.

Biggest bonus goes to air conditioning in the tabletop rooms. Pure heaven. Mmmmmm.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~