New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 112627282930313233343536
Results 1,051 to 1,054 of 1054
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Most Ridiculous Rules in RPGS

To be fair, one CAN construct dragons that are less egregiously breaking physics. In Flight of Dragons (and presumably the novel upon which it was based, though I've never gotten around to hunting it down to read), the dragons actually consume materials that let them produce a build-up of hydrogen in their stomachs. This makes them lighter than air, and their wings are mostly just to steer and propel them. They have a sort of spark-plug organ in their mouth which ignites the hydrogen on the way out, creating their infamous fiery breath.

And then there's the fact that, with sufficient thrust, anything can fly.

And maybe both the atmosphere and most creatures are both just a lot denser in fantasy settings, so dragons are actually buoyant. It would explain why dragon scales and bones are said to be such amazingly light materials, especially considering their strength.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Firbolg in the Playground

Would it work to have dragons that were anatomically more like pterosaurs? I don't know, it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch from how they're usually portrayed.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Did someone also make M&M stats for BMX Bandit?
    Someone did, although notably they statted both Angel Summoner and the BMX Bandit as PL 6, rather than PL 10. So this version could "only" summon 50 PL 6 angels, rather than 250,000. You could always reduce the size of his headquarters to get the angels up to a few hundred, though.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    To be fair, one CAN construct dragons that are less egregiously breaking physics.
    Yes. In numerous settings they're quite a bit smaller; or thaumivoric; or Bygone (as in, they used to be able to fly back when people still believed they could); and then there's Pratchett's infamous swamp dragon

Speaking of which, I remember a lengthy flamewar back at the ElfQuest forums on whether the huge (roc-like) birds in that comic should be able to fly or not. It's not easy on the catgirls!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!