New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Narfell

Narfell

Under Construction
    Note that more lore information will be added when I start converting the actual forgotten realms campaign setting including examples of what the broader strokes of the kind of information you can gain with an appropriate knowledge (local) check.

Source: Player's Guide to Faerun
    Knowledge (Local-Narfell)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: A cold and savage steppeland south of the Great Glacier, Narfell is renowned as the home of the best horsemen in Faerun.

Region: Narfell (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Damaran, Nar
    Automatic Languages: Damaran
    Bonus Languages: Goblin, Orc, Rashemi, Tuigan, Uluik
    Favored Deities: Talos, Tempus, Waukeen
    Regional Traits: Arctic Adaptation, Saddleback, Survivor
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Light Horse (Combat Trained), Bit and Bridle, Military Saddle, and Barding Studded Leather; (B) Masterwork Lance or Masterwork Longspear.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-06-18 at 01:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Nelanther Isles

The Nelanther Isles

Under Construction
    Note that more lore information will be added when I start converting the actual forgotten realms campaign setting including examples of what the broader strokes of the kind of information you can gain with an appropriate knowledge (local) check.

Source: Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Combat, Player's Guide to Faerun
    Knowledge (Local-Nelanther Isles)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Plagued by pirates and brigands, the Nelanther Isles lie west of Tethyr's Velen peninsula.

Region: the Nelanther Isles (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Calishine*, Chondathan, Illuskan
    Automatic Languages: Chondathan
    Bonus Languages: Alzhedo, Goblin, Illuskan, Lantanese, Orc, Shaaran
    Favored Deities: Beshaba, Cyric, Talos, Tempus, Umberlee
    Regional Traits: Blooded, Stormheart, Thug
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Dagger or Masterwork Scimitar; (B) Pistol, Powderhorn, and Ten Masterwork Bullets.

*Author's Note: Apparently, the GitP forums is racist against the fair people of Calimshan and the term to which they are called. Therefore, I have renamed them the Calishine (Cali * shine).
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-10-29 at 06:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Default Nimbral

Nimbral

Under Construction

Source: Player's Guide to Faerun, Player's Guide to Faerun Errata
    Knowledge (Local-Nimbral)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: The mysterious land of Halruaan expatriates is cloaked in a veil of illusion. The Land of the Flying Hunt is best known for its glass-armored, Pegasus-mounted warriors.

Region: Nimbral (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Halruaan
    Automatic Languages: Halruaan
    Bonus Languages: Chulan, Dambrathan, Durpari, Halfling, Midani, Tashalan
    Favored Deities: Azuth, Cyric, Mystra
    Regional Traits: Arcane Schooling, Magical Training, Saddleback, Spellwise
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Scroll of Invisibility (Caster Level 3rd) and Six 1st Level Arcane Spell Scrolls (Caster Level 1st) of your choice; (B) Wand of Silent Image (Caster Level 1st; 20 Charges.)
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-06-28 at 04:31 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Default The North

The North

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-the North)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Lightfoot halfling settlements dot the banks of the lower Delimbiyr Vale, though they are most concentrated around the village of Secomber.

Region: the North (Halfling)
    Recommended Subraces: Lightfoot Halfling
    Automatic Languages: Illuskan, Halfling
    Bonus Languages: Chondathan, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Orc
    Favored Deities: Halfling Pantheon
    Regional Traits: Foe Hunter (Orc), Swift and Silent
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Composite (Strength +0) Longbow or Masterwork Short Sword; (B) Masterwork Chain Shirt and Three Potions of Endure Elements.

Lore: This region includes the humans who live in the upper vales of the Delimbiyr and Dessarin rivers, from Daggerford to Llorkh and from Red Larch to Mirabar. The folk of Neverwinter, Luskan, and Baldur's Gate are described by the Sword Coast region. Silverymoon describes the people of the Silver Marches and Waterdeep includes the lower Dessarin Vale.

Region: the North (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Illuskan
    Automatic Languages: Illuskan
    Bonus Languages: Chondathan, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Orc
    Favored Deities: Auril, Deneir, Eldath, Lurue, Malar, Mielikki, Milil, Mystra, Oghma, Selune, Shaundakul, Shiallia, Silvanus, Talos, Tempus
    Regional Traits: Arctic Adaptation, Axethrower, Foe Hunter (Orc), Jotunbrud, Saddleback
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Battleaxe, Masterwork Heavy Mace, or Masterwork Longsword; (B) Masterwork Studded Leather Armor and 20 Arrows.

Lore: King Obould's Dark Arrow Keep is only one of many orc strongholds located in the foothills and high valleys of the Spine of the World.

Region: the North (Orc and Half-Orc)
    Recommended Subraces: Half-Orc, Mountain Orc, Orog, Tanarukk
    Automatic Languages: Illuskan, Orc
    Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Goblin, Giant
    Favored Deities: Bane, Cyric, Orc Pantheon, Talona, Talos
    Regional Traits: Resist Poison, Swift and Silent
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Banded Mail with Armor Spikes; (B) Masterwork Dire Flail, Masterwork Greataxe, or Masterwork Orc Double Axe.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-07-03 at 11:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Default Rashemen

Rashemen

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Rashemen)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: A wild and beautiful land of the distant east, Rashemen is home to fierce berserkers and mysterious masked spellcasters known as the Witches of Rashemen (referred to as the Wychlaran by the Rashemis themselves.)

Region: Rashemen (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Nar, Rashemi
    Automatic Languages: Rashemi
    Bonus Languages: Aglarondan, Damaran, Goblin, Mulhorandi, Tuigan
    Favored Deities: Chauntea, Mielikki, Mystra
    Regional Traits: Aftersight, Bullheaded, Draw from the Land, Dreadful Wrath, Ethran, Vremyonni Training
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Greataxe or Masterwork Greatsword; (B) Wand of Detect Magic (Caster Level 1st; 20 Charges) and Wand of Light (Caster Level 1st; 20 Charges).
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-06-28 at 04:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Ride

The Ride

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-the Ride)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: North of the Moonsea and south of the Tortured Land lies the broad green swale known as the Ride, which is home to numerous roaming barbarian tribes.

Region: the Ride (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Nar, Vassan
    Bonus Languages: Chondathan, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Rashemi
    Favored Deities: Malar, Selune, Talos, Tempus
    Regional Traits: Furious Charge, Horse Nomad, Tireless
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Light Horse (Combat Trained), Bit and Bridle, Military Saddle, and Barding Studded Leather; (B) Masterwork Battleaxe or Masterwork Spear.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Default Samarach

Samarach

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Samarach)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: In the Sanrach basis on the southern shore of the Chultan peninsula lies the xenophobic nation of Samarach, a vassal state of Nimbral.

Region: Samarach (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Chultan, Tashalan
    Automatic Languages: Chultan
    Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Goblin, Tashalan, Yuan-Ti
    Favored Deities: Kossuth, Lathander, Malar, Set, Sharess, Ubtao
    Regional Traits: Foe Hunter (Yuan-Ti), Militia, Snake Blood
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Scimitar or Masterwork Composite (Strength +0) Shortbow; (B) Potion of Bear's Endurance.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-06-28 at 04:32 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Default Sembia

Sembia

Under Construction

Source: Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Intrigue, Player's Guide to Faerun
    Knowledge (Local-Sembia)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Perhaps the wealthiest and most powerful kingdom west of the Inner Sea, Sembia is a sophisticated land of duelists, merchants, and thieves.

Region: Sembia (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Chondathan
    Bonus Languages: Chessentan, Damaran, Gnome, Halfling, Mulhorandi, Shaaran, Turmic
    Favored Deities: Azuth, Deneir, Lathander, Loviatar, Mystra, Sune, Tymora, Tyr, Waukeen
    Regional Traits: Caravanner, Mercantile Background, Silver Palm, Twin Sword Style
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Abacus and Concealable Thieves' Tools, and 30 days' service of a Fence; (B) Masterwork Rapier or Masterwork Dagger.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-10-29 at 06:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Shaar

The Shaar

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-the Shaar)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:
    Regional Prestige Classes: Shaaryan Hunter

Lore: The vast savanna stretches for more than 1000 miles across southern Faerun. The Shaar is home to numerous nomadic tribes, though it also supports a handful of more permanent settlements.

Region: the Shaar (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Calishine*, Shaaran
    Automatic Languages: Shaaran
    Bonus Languages: Alzhedo, Dambrathan, Durpari, Dwarven, Gnoll, Halruaan, Tashalan, Untheric
    Favored Deities: Akadi, Mask, Shar, Tempus
    Regional Traits: Fleet of Foot, Horse Nomad, Survivor
    Bonus Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Studded Leather Armor and Masterwork Light Wooden Shield; (B) Light Horse (Combat Trained), Bit and Bridle, Military Saddle, and Barding Studded Leather.

*Author's Note: Apparently, the GitP forums is racist against the fair people of Calimshan and the term to which they are called. Therefore, I have renamed them the Calishine (Cali * shine).

Lore: The noble Wemics claim the Shaar as their hunting ground.

Region: the Shaar (Wemic)
    Recommended Subraces: Wemic
    Automatic Languages: Sylvan
    Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnoll, Halling, Shaaran, Untheric
    Favored Deities: Nobanion
    Regional Traits: Furious Charge, Swift and Silent, Tireless
    Bonus Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Club or Masterwork Spear; (B) Masterwork Heavy Wooden Shield and Three Potions of Cure Light Wounds.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2018-06-11 at 02:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Default A Treatise of the Forgotten Realms

A Treatise of the Forgotten Realms:
    or Why I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Spellplague

Preamble:
    So... the spellplague happened. Whether you know it or not, the Realms is a living place even moreso than other campaign settings. Novels, new sourcebooks, video games, and just about everything is considered to be realms cannon. The state of the realms in 5th edition, or so I've been told, is going to be determined by a combination of fan input and multiple modules run in the living realms. Yet another major catastrophe that belies the realms in order to transition it from the old edition to the new. It seems fitting to me that the greatest catastrophe that nearly destroyed the realms would occur prior to the weakest of D&D editions (at least in terms of popularity). During the 3e heyday, there were three "big" campaign settings that was in wide use and others that were available either through third party or from Wizards of the Coast, but wasn't well supported if at all. Nowadays, Pathfinder has the world of Golarion which is an interesting place on its own, but we're here today because we're fans of the realms and Pathfinder.

So it might seem obvious to convert the "crunch" material from 3.5 edition and 3rd edition as many people who play Pathfinder nowadays are the ones that that either prefer it over 4th and now 5th Editions of Dungeons and Dragons and the respective changes those editions have brought to the realms.

In addition to making room for the new 4th edition additions and changes to the game rules, this was also done to address a number of "problems" brought up on the WotC forums at the time and to many people who play Pathfinder, these complaints may very well remain valid to anyone that might wish to participate in any game using this setting - whether it's a homebrew conversion to pathfinder, 4th, or 5th edition or someone running a 3.5e or 3rd edition D&D game. I've decided to a stab at talking about these issues and about why I'm converting the Realms pre-spellplague instead of anything post-spellplague where the ruleset for 4th and 5th edition D&D games tend to work best.

First, let me talk about the criticisms of the realms and why the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting is my favorite of the major four campaign settings I've played in, which includes Greyhawk, the D&D standby until 4th edition, Eberron, the relative newcomer that avoids many of the Tolkein-based tropes that are played straight in other settings with a fairly unique feel to it, Golarion, the candle-bearing Campaign setting for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game that seems to try to have its cake and eat it too in terms of the "game feel" with both the standard RPG tolkeinesque tropes and areas of the Campaign Setting that break that tropes completely, and the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, which is among the oldest of any of these campaign settings with lore written about it predating even the great Gygax's first foray into tabletop RPG gaming. I'll also go more in-depth into my thoughts on those settings as well as others I hadn't mentioned yet.

The Criticisms of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
    (Pre-Spellplague)

So I'll start this by talking about the criticisms that I can still find online that don't refer to the spellplague as well as those I remember talking about when I was a member of the Wizards of the Coast forums pre-4th edition both before and during the announcement phases of the game and the changes to the realms and the developers' complaints about the realms. Sadly, I can't find those developer's notes anymore. They had their own channels at one point during 4e's rollout phase that seem to no longer exist, but it only mirrored what I'm going to talk about.

There is so much lore and backstory on the Realms that there is no room for customization or creativity on the part of an aspiring Dungeon Master. For example, if I were to decide that Alustriel was secretly a were-demon battle cyborg as a part of a hidden coven of a cult, there'll always be players telling me about how this can't possibly happen due to a half-dozen sourcebooks or fiction novels saying that it's impossible. I don't want to read ten novels and buy a ton of sourebooks (some of which are out of print nowadays) just to run a few games.

Well, yes, the Realms has a lot of source material and lore behind it. Beyond simply saying that you can "rule 0" whatever you want into or out of the game, there is a vast amount of cannon lore that is constantly being written and re-written about it. A separate sourebook, the Grand History of the Realms, was a fan-made book that tracked all of the cannon material and events from all (pre-4th edition/pre-spellplague) sources and listed everything in ... a truly Grand history of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting right up until the spellplague.

It can seem daunting, but consider this:
    Much of the source material, particularly from before 3rd edition, was essentially rewritten for 3rd edition, though many, many details were glossed over. People that still have 2nd edition sourcebooks can still use them, if only to expand upon material that already exists for 3rd edition, so you don't really need a ton of source material. All of it serves the same purpose as, say, the Silver Marches campaign accessory (3rd Ed) does to the Forgotten Realms campaign setting book proper. Further, given how things can change over time, there's no reason that things couldn't have changed in a manner more to your liking. If anyone tells you that you need anything beyond the Forgotten Realms campaign setting of any edition to make decisions about how you run your game, that person is lying or simply doesn't know better.

Further, the only thing that matters in how you run your game is what is cannon to YOUR game, even if it otherwise contradicts cannon or what your player or players consider cannon. After all, if WotC can upend their own campaign setting with the spellplague, deciding that events contradict a few minor notes in a sourcebook you don't have is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Further, the background Lore exists to enhance your Forgotten Realms experience, not impede it. If it fails to do that, then you are always free to ignore it.

That being said, the Forgotten Realms' greatest strength as a campaign setting is it's depth and the sheer expanse of lore. If you're the type that prefers more lore-light settings that you can fill in yourself, a setting like Greyhawk would be perfect. I'm aware that Greyhawk has a great deal of lore behind it, but as it exists in the Greyhawk Gazetteer for the Living Greyhawk campaign, provides a bare essentials campaign setting that's even lighter than Eberron and Golarion as well and there's likely very few people familiar with the greater expanse of lore behind it that likely hasn't been updated for decades (to my knowledge).

Look at all the ultra-powerful individuals and power groups in Faerun. Why are lower-level adventurers even needed when virtually every problem in the Realms can be solved with just a handful of people that are essentially living gods that can reshape everything about Faerun?

The quick answer is that they either can't or choose not to.
    This may or may not seem like a cop-out to you, but it's true. There are a lot of answers here but part of this also goes into the type of campaign setting the realms actually is versus what you and perhaps others perceive the realms to be.

I'll explain. In short, the Realms is not a place where you're the big damn heroes. That isn't to say that your characters can't be powerful or influential, but it does mean that no matter how powerful your PCs are, there's always people around that are your peers and even more individuals that can tear your PC's souls right out of their bodies and banish each molecule of their bodies into separate dimensions of reality should they choose to misbehave in some manner or another.

This also means that NPCs, especially the more active and political ones that you would think have nothing to do other than instantly solve your PC's problems, tend to be doing their own thing. The seven sisters have their own projects that keep them busy with respect to how they wish to participate in the realms. They have their own countries to run. Some NPCs are retired and just don't feel as though they should. Others ARE actively participating and hiring your PCs to help them is a part of how they're participating in the realms.

For example, the Simbul might be on to a plot by a Red Wizard she believes to be hatching a plot to invade Aglarand, so she hires a troupe of PCs she believes will help her in a subtle manner, during which she runs her country and keeps an eye on things from afar, using her resources to aid the PCs while also being able to keep an eye on things that she couldn't by doing these things herself.

In other words, the realms is a big place and has a lot going on to which any group of PCs, no matter how powerful they are (or think they are) in any sense, that tends to mean that they're cogs in a much larger whole.

Above the low-level PCs are higher level NPCs that have their own parts to play or have responsibilities that prevent them from micro-managing what your PCs are doing (I mean, this is why even high level PCs need other party members, right?) Above them are even higher level NPCs, then the powers that are hidden and ancient, and even the gods themselves interfere with the lives of mortals (decreed by Ao himself) and even if your PCs become gods themselves, still have to complete with powers and enemies even greater still.

You will never be the most powerful beings in the realms.
    There are always greater powers out there.

To some of you, this may be a weakness, but to others, this is a strength. There is no getting around this because this is something the realms has built up on since the very beginning. The PCs are always a smaller part of a huge and expansive universe. Further, this is also the reason why high level adventurers and NPCs aren't out wiping out all those troublesome kobolds, Tuigan hordes, Obould's armies, Drow raiding parties, and so on, because they'll probably be met by other NPCs that have opposing goals or they're the generals, matrons, or leaders of those armies and these events are these NPCs acting in the world.

The Simbul isn't sitting around with nothing better to do and if it's your preference that the PCs are hailed as heroes for their actions, well, here's the thing...

Just because all these powers and forces exist doesn't mean your PCs aren't a big deal. These NPCs and great powers are influential but still as rare as they are in other campaign settings. Nearly all of those listed ultrapowerful NPCs are listed as such BECAUSE they are rare and highly influential and it's actually rarer to find high level NPCs that are hidden or unheard of.

Think of them like celebrities. There's always room in Hollywood (or Bollywood or other equivalent) for new talent but the existence of other huge celebrities and power players in the business doesn't detract from your successes and just because a movie is being made doesn't mean that these huge mega-stars are a shoe-in for the part.

Again, these powerful NPCs are listed by name and stats because they are rare.... in most cases at least.

There are other campaign settings where such power players either don't exist or have been relegated out of the game for one reason or another. This was one of the core concepts for Eberron, for example, and that is a strength of that particular campaign setting but the entire setting in which Faerun exists is designed to make the PCs a cog in a place far greater and deeper than they as opposed to being truly wonderous from the get-go.

Both play styles are great and have their strengths, but the Forgotten Realms should not be faulted for catering to one play style over the other.

The Gods of the Forgotten Realms is very, very many. There are gods and sub-gods that even cover the same if not similar portolios. You'll have a goddess for magic (mystra), a god of spells (azuth), a god of divinations (savras), a goddess of illusions (lliira), a lich-god of necromancy (velsharoon), and that doesn't even count the demi-human deities that cover similar areas (Corellan Larethian is the patron of Elven magic, for example). Why in all Faerun does this campaign setting have so many deities, especially when so many of them cover similar divine portfolios?

I'm not entirely certain if I've phrased this complaint right, but the general idea is that there is just too many gods and perhaps needlessly so and "that's just how the forgotten realms is" just isn't a satisfactory answer, despite being utterly true.

I'll attempt to offer anther perspective because there are actually many in-game reasons for this that is actually one of the most important distinguishing factors with other campaign settings.

The forgotten realms is a deeply religious place. This is because the gods are very active in the realms and it is a fact that they can and do answer prayers and can visibly and viscerally affect the world. Nowhere is this more true than with the Drow, where Lloth's favor can drive families into power or tear them apart and into enslavement to other, more favored houses.

This isn't just true for a few though, in the lore of the realms, all gods aren't just there to grant powers, but are actually decreed by their boss, Lord Ao, to have this relationship with their worshippers and they have a real impact on events in the realms, even if they aren't physically present (which can also happen).

In the realms, there are no 'philosophy' clerics and any few that don't profess to a particular god are still being granted their spells by one god or other such divine power granting deific being for reasons of their own. The power of the gods very much depends on how many worshippers they have and how fervent they are in their worship. This is widely believed to be the reason that both Lolth and Mystra are greater deities (after lolth's silence). Mystra is followed by innumerable people - many of which aren't clerics and aren't individually especially religious compared to Lolth, who has far fewer worshippers but her worshippers are far more fervent than Mystra's.

Because of these reasons, the gods are just as much the power players of the realms as Elminster, the Zhentarim, and just about anyone else. Compare this to Eberron's distant deities or the more standard assumptions with 3e's D&D clerics or those of Golarion.

The worshippers determine the power and influence of their deities, so elves that wish to worship an elven deity of magic can either grant that power to an existing elven god (such as Corellan) or ascend a mortal to a new elven god or goddess of magic, which is why there can be multiple such deities instead of a few. This also means that certain gods only exist and influence where they are known in the realms and geographically separate areas may not only have their own set of gods but may overlap those known in Faerun, though older gods tend to be better known globally due to their age and long-standing influence. This means that Mystra might be worshipped worldwide whereas younger gods may have "duplicates" elsewhere... at least among humans.

This also all means that even dead gods never fully die as long as they are remembered, such as in the case of Bhaal, who foresaw his own death (and led to the events of the Baldur's Gate games), Mykrul (whose presence is felt in Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer).

So ultimately, the number of gods exists for good reason in terms of the realms lore. I understand that that doesn't necessarily excuse it but similarly with the NPCs, this is also a matter of play style and personal preference that can be seen as either a feature or a bug of the campaign setting depending on your personal preferences. They exist this way very much due to events and dictates steeped in the lore of the realm that has a very serious in-game effect on the day-to-day lives of both PCs and everyone else in the realms.

Subraces for every season, character class, element, and geographic location exists in the realm. Moon elves don't make good wizards? Try gold elves. Neither of those grab you for rangers? Try wood elves or green elves. Bards or sorcerers? Star elves. Dwarves are no less numerous or distinct (and who would play standard halflings when you have stronghearts?) I mean, holy crap! It's just another way to super-optimize an already problematic ruleset, why can't the differences between the subraces be more like humans - just a few minor physical differences and perhaps a cultural difference?

Unlike the other criticisms, this one is more rooted in the mechanics of the game and not the flavor of the campaign. It really doesn't matter as much if the green elf is statistically similar to the core D&D elf or if it has its own stats. Some cases are more necessary than others (drow elves or arctic dwarves) but I have no real answer for this one beyond the desire to make the subraces of the forgotten realms more distinct from one another, reflected in their game mechanics.

There is the point that the distinction does, in fact, lend to the flavor and culture of each of the sub races. They are different, not just culturally but physiologically, psychologically, and how they interact with the world as much as the different core races are and some of these subraces are simply not available depending on where your campaign is in the forgotten realms, so just because green elves and gold elves are listed in the same section of the forgotten realms campaign setting manual doesn't mean that green elves are available as a player race in Mulhorand.

Beyond that, it is another way to distinguish between other campaign settings. Eberron has subraces of elves, but other than the drow, they're all statistically the same. Greyhawk has high, grey, dark, and one or two others I'm forgetting. Dragonlance has a number of elves of their own, and forgotten realms has theirs that are distinguishable not just by name, but by everything about them.

So these are the main criticisms as I remember them. There may be more, but let's move onto how Wizards of the Coast not only chose to introduce the changes that 4th edition would bring to the realms, but also how they chose to address these criticisms all in one fell swoop.

The Spellplague

They've done it. They blew it up! They blew it all to Hades!

One hundred years after the spellplague changed the face of the Forgotten Realms, we can now enter the new and improved face of Faerun. All of the above criticisms are addressed and solved. The spellplague wiped out the vast majority of the gods, the remaining either became exarchs, dead, missing, or were discovered to secretly be another god. Most of the NPCs were likewise affected in such a manner as to have been killed by the spellplague, rendered insane, gone missing, or simply ignored. The subraces were all folded into one of the two elves available for the 4th edition ruleset - eladrins or elves (seems that despite the desire to eliminate all the sub-races, the core rules included two and a half varieties of elf but zero gnomes or aasimar - go figure). Furthermore, a hundred years passed and the spellplague leaves the realms enough of a new place that all the old lore no longer "holds back" the setting for new DMs or players.

Problems solved!

... or was it? In addition to addressing the above criticisms, it was also important to note that Wizards of the Coast wanted to spurn Greyhawk as the "official" campaign setting and even though the core material didn't have a 'default' setting (the example gods were from disparate settings), new adventures and other things focused on the new Realms as the go-to place for your grand 4th edition adventures.

What this meant, of course, is that they had to make the new 4e races available in the new realms as well as some of the new default deities, such as Asmodeus and the Dragonborn.

The end result is the 4th Edition Forgotten Realms campaign setting. So if you never had anything to do with the realms before this point, just understand that people were... divided.

While I don't believe the 4e version of the setting to be a bad one in and of itself, coming at this as a longtime fan of the setting, I can't help but lament everything that is now simply gone. What IS there is interesting and there are definitively a number of high points about the Forgotten Realms setting as it exists in the 4th Edition ruleset.

Many names and places you'll recognize are there as are a number of new ones. It doesn't fail as a campaign setting and it certainly works for your 4th and beyond edition dungeon-crawling and dragon-fighting so any success or failure beyond this would be rooted in the 4th edition rules itself, which also has a fair number of high and low points.

I, however, am of the opinion that 4th edition rules, though an excellent set of rules for anyone's RPG gaming, is not dungeons and dragons, despite being named as such. The forgotten realms is still the forgotten realms, but now what is it compared to greyhawk? dragonlance? eberron? File the names off the NPCs, places, and gods, and what do you have? Sure, there's a few unique classes, powers, races, but our new campaign setting has expunged decades worth of background, lore, fiction, and so on to what end?

The realms now lacks depth since the new realms apparently needs to be "lore-light" to attract new DMs previously intimidated by the sheer volume of the material. Now, it's no longer necessary to feel as though you're attempting to avoid the land mines of crossing Realms Cannon.

Let's talk about what I mean by talking about why the setting was popular to begin with.

The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting

The first official sourcebook for the Realms was written by Ed Greenwood, with Jeff Grubb and Karen Martin, and illustrated by Keith Parkinson, Jeff Easley, Clyde Caldwell, and Tim Conrad for the 1987 release of the original Forgotten Realms Boxed Set for the Dungeons and Dragons roleplaying game.

According to Ed Greenwood, he had been writing lore on the realms long before anyone else's eyes had set upon his work. According to his Wikipedia article, "He began writing stories about the Forgotten Realms as a child, starting in the mid 1960s; they were his dream space for swords and sorcery stories." With that in mind, let's talk about what made the realms unique and that depth I keep saying is missing now.

We can start by talking about magic.

Magic is arguably the most important aspect of any game based in the fantasy genre and particularly in any fantasy tabletop RPG. The forgotten realms is no different. Magic suffuses every corner of the forgotten realms as it does for Eberron and Greyhawk as well. None of those settings are what you might consider low magic settings. Forgotten realms, however is definitively a high magic campaign setting.

Like Eberron and Greyhawk, it has all the usual magical trappings that a place with wizards can bring but where it differs is the inclusion of high level magic and epic level magic and the practitioners of those magic that exists and influences the world of Faerun. The most powerful of such spells outright stripped the god of magic of his own divinity and caused the cataclysm of Netheril.

Magic and individuals of immense power exists and thrives here and makes its mark on Faerun... right up until the spellplague, which obliterated magic so thoroughly in faerun that the gods of magic, most of its practitioners, worshippers, and many of the most magical places of faerun were all wiped out.

Three problems, since most of those troublesome NPCs were wizards. One stone.

Now, let's discuss the gods.

Faerun is also an exceptionally religious place, as I mentioned earlier. The gods are among the most important and influential aspect of existing in the forgotten realms not only for individuals living in this world but it should extend to players as well.

You see, by default, even in Pathfinder, you can worship a god or not and such a decision is mostly only important to someone playing a cleric in the core 3.5e or pathfinder rules. It's even less influential in Eberron, as the gods are distant, so a few of the rules, such as domain and alignment restrictions, are far looser. In all of these settings, you don't even need to follow a god. You can have what is known as a 'philosophy' cleric. One that follows some dogma or another religiously even if it's not affiliated with another god, religion, or church.

The Forgotten Realms is essentially the opposite of all that. Religion and choosing gods is so important that anyone that receives divine powers, such as the paladin, druid, and ranger, must all choose a patron deity.

Anyone that does not follow a deity or those that are particularly fickle in their religious beliefs get shunted into the Wall of the Faithless once it is time for a person's untimely demise (this is not immediate upon a character's death, so someone that dies can still be resurrected normally).

This manifests in a variety of ways. The forgotten realms is not a place where the whims of the gods are unknown or unknowable. The gods make their presence and desires known and can benefit or punish those followers in their churches accordingly. A cleric that strays too far from his god's teachings can one day find themselves unable to recover their divine spells comparatively swiftly.

Given the prevalence and importance of magic in the realms, it's no wonder why there are so many gods that concern themselves just with magic and why Mystra is not only the most powerful and influential of deities but also among the most commonly worshipped deities in all of Faerun.

Naturally, the spellplague rid the realms not only of the vast majority of gods, but their associated faiths, followers, and now there are literally no gods of magic in faerun at all.

Nineteen gods are worshiped in Faerûn, spread across all alignments and holding mastery over a wide range of spheres. - 4th Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting

There are no special rules for worshipping deities in the post-spellplague realms, by the way. The book states that there are other gods and use Umberlee as an example, but none of the others are worth more than a mere mention. None of them have anything to do with magic. I recall one of the developers being particularly smug about the fact that Mystra was never replaced and was never going to be replaced. In Faerun, magic just isn't that important, apparently.

So what's left?

Nothing about this realms is unique. Magic was brought to where 4th edition needed it to be and it was now standard for the new game ruleset. Religion is nowhere near as important. There are few important faces in the realms. While much of the original survived, the "fluff" is comparatively sparse compared to it's previous iterations.

So...

Conclusion

The end result is that the "upgrade" from 3rd to 4th included a generic campaign setting refluffed to include forgotten realms names and places to fit criticisms that utterly fail to understand what the realms is, why people are drawn to it to begin with, and strip it of everything that sets it apart from the other settings at the time or since and render all that lore from 3rd and previous editions completely irrelevant if you wanted to keep up with the realms of the present.

Perhaps after the Sundering, things will look up, but despite the trap of thinking that it's ruined forever now, I still find myself drawn to the "old realms". As such, as I work on this conversion, I don't consider anything beyond the events of 1385 to be cannon and everything between the spellplague and Summertide, 1372 DR to be cannon-optional.

Therefore, in the hopes of making you understand my ongoing "conversion philosophy", everything I write in this conversion guide will assume any such campaigns based on what I post will use the 3e-compatible material, though I may choose to borrow things and ideas that exist from 4th edition as I see fit. (I've had some ideas for residuum and I like the idea of Astral Diamonds and the feywild).

I hope this long rant allows you to understand my reasoning and my thoughts on the subject in case anyone thought I may choose to create a converted forgotten realms post-spellplague and why I would generally prefer not to. To those of you that don't know why some Forgotten Realms fans resisted the 4th edition changeover (particularly if they were only "meh" on the rules but hate the new realms) then I hope I've provided some insight with that regard.

Thank You.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2021-02-23 at 03:49 PM.
    Currently working on Finding the Path in the Forgotten Realms as a massive conversion of the forgotten realms campaign setting (circa 3.5 edition and prior) into pathfinder 1st edition (as I've no interest in 2nd edition).

Please, if you have an opinion, feel free to meander over to my thread in the link above and post a comment. Thank you.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Default Shadovar

Shadovar

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Shadovar)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: The folk of the City of Shade are known as Shadovars. Their flying city is currently grounded on the shores of the Shadow Sea in the heart of the Anauroch.

Region: Shadovar (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Netherese, Shade
    Automatic Languages: Netherese
    Bonus Languages: Chondathan, Damaran, Draconic, Elven, Loross, Thorass
    Favored Deities: Shar
    Regional Traits: Discipline, Spellwise
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Ranseur or Masterwork Shortsword; (B) Wand of Sleep (Caster Level 1st; 20 Charges).

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Default Shou Expatriate

Shou Expatriate

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Thesk)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Many strange kingdoms and empires lie far to the east of Faerun, at the end of the Golden Way. From these distant lands, a small number of merchants, settlers, and diplomats have come to Faerun in seasrch of new opportunities in the West.

Region: Shou Expatriate (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Shou
    Automatic Languages: Shou
    Bonus Languages: Draconic, Durpari, Goblin, Mulhorandi, Rashemi, Tuigan
    Favored Deities: Celestial Bureaucracy (equivalent to worshipping a pantheon)
    Regional Traits: Discipline, Mercantile Background, Mind over Body
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Katana; (B) Masterwork Nunchaku or Masterwork Kukri.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-06-26 at 09:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Default Silverymoon

Silverymoon

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-the Silver Marches)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Also known as the Gem of the North, the cit of Silverymoon is a beacon of hope, safety, and learning amid the wilds of the North. It is home to a large number of moon elves.

Region: Silverymoon (Elf)
    Recommended Subraces: Moon Elf, Sun Elf
    Automatic Languages: Elven, Illuskan
    Bonus Languages: Chondathan, Dwarven, Giant, Orc, Sylvan
    Favored Deities: Elven Pantheon (the Seldarine)
    Regional Traits: Education, Mind over Body, Strong Soul
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Longsword or Masterwork Rapier; (B) Breastplate and 20 Masterwork Arrows.

Lore: Heir to the long lost elf kingdoms of the North, Silverymoon is home to many who have both moon elf and human blood.

Region: Silverymoon (Half-Elf)
    Recommended Subraces: Half-Moon Elf
    Automatic Languages: Elven, Illuskan
    Bonus Languages: Chondathan, Dwarven, Giant, Orc, Sylvan
    Favored Deities: Elven Pantheon (the Seldarine), Mystra, Oghma, Selune, Sune
    Regional Traits: Education, Mind over Body, Strong Soul
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Longsword or Masterwork Rapier; (B) Masterwork Chain Shirt and Potion of Endure Elements.

Lore: Often called the Gem of the North, Silverymoon is a city of magic and learning on the Rauvin River in the far North. It is the leading city of the Silver Marches, a league of human cities and dwarf citadels.

Region: Silverymoon (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Chondathan, Illuskan
    Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Illuskan, Orc, Sylvan
    Favored Deities: Deneir, Lurue, Mielikki, Milil, Mystra, Oghma, Silvanus
    Regional Traits: Blooded, Education, Smooth Talk
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Longbow, Masterwork Longsword, or Masterwork Rapier; (B) Masterwork Studded Leather Armor and either two 1st or one 2nd Level Arcane or Divine Spell Scroll of your choice (Caster Level 3rd).
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-08-12 at 08:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Sword Coast

The Sword Coast

Under Construction

Source: Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Combat, Player's Guide to Faerun
    Knowledge (Local-the Sword Coast)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Many shield dwarf merchants, smiths, and weaponmakers live in human cities such as Mirabar and Neverwinter along the Sword Coast.

Region: the Sword Coast (Dwarf)
    Recommended Subraces: Shield Dwarf
    Automatic Languages: Dwarven, Illuskan
    Bonus Languages: Chondathan, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Orc
    Favored Deities: Dumathoin, Marthammor, Duin, Moradin
    Regional Traits: Forgeheart, Mercantile Background, Metallurgy, Thunder Twin, Tireless
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Hand Axe or Masterwork Greataxe; (B) Masterwork Splint Mail and Heavy Steel Shield.

Lore: Stretching from Luskan in the North to Baldur's Gate in the south, the Sword Coast is a region of isolated city-states, fiercely competitive in commerce and prone to open brigandage.

Region: the Sword Coast (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Illuskan, Tethyrian
    Bonus Languages: Chondathan, Dwarven, Giant, Halfling, Orc
    Favored Deities: Bane, Beshaba, Chauntea, Lathander, Mask, Mystra, Tempus
    Regional Traits: Cosmopolitan, Knifefighter, Stormheart
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Longsword or Masterwork Dagger; (B) Pistol, Powderhorn, and Ten Masterwork Bullets.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-10-29 at 07:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Default Tashalar

Tashalar

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Tashalar)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Located on the northern shores of the Chultan peninsula, Tashalar is a sun-soaked land of olive groves, vineyards, and powerful merchant houses. It is threatened by the insidious yuan-ti of the nearby jungles.

Region: Tashalar (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Chultan, Shaaran, Tashalan
    Automatic Languages: Tashalan
    Bonus Languages: Alzhedo, Chultan, Draconic, Illuskan, Orc, Shaaran, Yuan-Ti
    Favored Deities: Chauntea, Malar, Savras, Set, Waukeen
    Regional Traits: Foe Hunter (Yuan Ti), Mercantile Background, Snake Blood
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Light Crossbow and 20 Bolts; (B) Masterwork Hide Armor and Heavy Darkwood Shield
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-10-03 at 04:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Default Tethyr

Tethyr

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Tethyr)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: This large kingdom of noble knights and great lords was recently reunited under the rule of a king and queen after a terrible civil war.

Region: Tethyr (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Calishine*, Tethyrian
    Bonus Languages: Alzhedo, Elven, Goblin, Lantanese, Orc
    Favored Deities: Helm, Ilmater, Siamorphe, Torm, Tyr
    Regional Traits: Blooded, Furious Charge, Luck of Heroes
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds; (B) Masterwork Chainmail.

Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-06-28 at 06:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Default Tharsult

Tharsult

Under Construction

Source: Pathfinder Companion: Adventurer's Armory, Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide, Player's Guide to Faerun, Player's Gudie to Faerun Errata
    Knowledge (Local-Tharsult)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: The island nation of Tharsult serves as a center for sea trade within the Shining Sea.

Region: Tharsult (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Calishine*, Shaaran
    Automatic Languages: Alzhedo
    Bonus Languages: Aquan, Chultan, Halfling, Tashalan, Yuan-Ti
    Favored Deities: Ilmater, Selune, Shar, Tyr, Valkur, Waukeen
    Regional Traits: Mercantile Background, Silver Palm, Snake Blood, Stormheart
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Cutlass or Masterwork Blade Boot; (B) Masterwork Studded Leather Armor and Three Potions of Blurred Movement.

Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-10-29 at 07:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Default Thay

Thay

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Thay)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: A forbidding and mysterious realm of the Unapproachable East, Thay is the homeland of the widely feared Red Wizards.

Region: Thay (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Mulan, Rashemi
    Automatic Languages: Mulhorandi
    Bonus Languages: Chessentan, Damaran, Gnoll, Infernal, Rashemi, Ruigan, Untheric
    Favored Deities: Bane, Gargauth, Kossuth, Loviatar, Shar, Talona
    Regional Traits: Discipline, Mind over Body, Tattoo Focus
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Two 2nd Level Arcane Scrolls of Your Choice (Caster level 3rd); (B) One 2nd Level Arcane Scroll of Your Choice (Caster Level 3rd) and Six 1st Level Arcane Scrolls of Your Choice (Caster Level 1st).

Lore: For centuries, the powerful wizards of Thay have bred their slaves with outsiders of various types in an effort to create the perfect servitors.

Region: Thay (Planetouched)
    Recommended Subraces: Genasi (Any), Tiefling
    Automatic Languages: Mulhorandi
    Bonus Languages: Aglarondan, Damaran, Gnoll, Infernal, Rashemi
    Favored Deities: Bane, Cyric, Kossuth, Loviatar, Shar
    Regional Traits: Dreadful Wrath, Mind over Body, Tattoo Focus
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Scroll of Invisibility and Scorching Ray; (B) Masterwork Breastplate and Three Arcane Potions of Your Choice (Caster Level 1st).
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-10-29 at 07:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Default Thesk

Thesk

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Thesk)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: The city-state of Milvarune and the surrounding Dragonjaw Mountains are home to many large clans of rock gnomes.

Region: Thesk (Gnome)
    Recommended Subraces: Rock Gnome
    Automatic Languages: Aglarondan, Gnome
    Bonus Languages: Damaran, Draconic, Elven, Illuskan, Terran
    Favored Deities: Gnome Pantheon
    Regional Traits: Artist, Magic in the Blood, Smooth Talk
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Light Mace or Masterwork Longsword; (B) Masterwork Studded Leather Armor and Five Thunderstones and Two Potions of Cure Light Wounds.

Lore: A loose confederation of mercantile city-states strung out along the Golden Way, Thesk is plagued by the Shadowmasters of Telflamm, a powerful thieves' guild.

Region: Thesk (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Damaran, Rashemi, Tuigan
    Bonus Languages: Aglarondan, Chondathan, Giant, Gnoll, Mulhorandi, Orc, Rashemi, Shou, Tuigan
    Favored Deities: Chauntea, Mask, Shaundakul, Waukeen
    Regional Traits: Caravanner, Mercantile, Background, Silver Palm, Smooth Talk
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Studded Leather Armor and Masterwork Thieves' Tools; (B) Masterwork Scale Mail Armor and Healer's Kit.

Lore: Twelve years ago, a Zhentish, legion of mountain orc warriors disbanded in Thesk after helping to defend the land from the horde of Yamun Kahan.

Region: Thesk (Orc and Half-Orc)
    Recommended Subraces: Half-Orc, Gray Orc, Mountain Orc
    Automatic Languages: Damaran, Orc
    Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnoll, Gnome, Mulhorandi, Rashemi
    Favored Deities: Bane, Shaundakul, Waukeen
    Regional Traits: Knifefighter, Thug
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Spear or Masterwork Greataxe; (B) Masterwork Chainmail with Armor Spikes.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-07-02 at 12:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Default Thindol

Thindol

Under Construction

Source: Pathfinder Companion: Adventurer’s Armory, Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide, Player's Guide to Faerun, Player's Guide to Faerun Errata
    Knowledge (Local-Thindol)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: On the southern coast of the Chultan peninsula lies this merchant nation populated by fleet-of-foot Tashalans and Chultans.

Region: Thindol (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Chultan, Tashalan
    Automatic Languages: Tashalan
    Bonus Languages: Chultan, Dwarven, Goblin, Shaaran, Yuan-Ti
    Favored Deities: Lathander, Lliira, Malar, Savras, Set, Tymora
    Regional Traits: Fleet of Foot, Foe Hunter (Yuan-Ti), Militia, Snake Blood, Tireless
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Cutlass or Masterwork Blade Boot; (B) Masterwork Studded Leather Armor and Three Potions of Blurred Movement.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-10-29 at 07:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Default Turmish

Turmish

Under Construction

Source: Pathfinder Player Companion: Melee Tactics Toolbox, Player's Guide to Faerun
    Knowledge (Local-the Vilhon Reach)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: The Aphrunn Mountains and Orsraun Mountains are home to many shield dwarves.

Region: Turmish (Dwarf)
    Recommended Subraces: Gold Dwarf, Shield Dwarf
    Automatic Languages: Dwarven, Turmic
    Bonus Languages: Chondathan, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Halfling
    Favored Deities: Dwarven Pantheon
    Regional Traits: Dauntless, Silver Palm, Stoneshaper, Thunder Twin
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Melee Weapon or Masterwork Melee Weapon or Masterwork Melee Weapon; (B) Masterwork Armor and potion or scroll (2nd level).

Lore: A prosperous l and on the northern shores of the Vilhon Reach, Turmish is dominated by the Turami.

Region: Turmish (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Chondathan, Turami
    Automatic Languages: Turmic
    Bonus Languages: Chessentan, Chondathan, Draconic, Dwarven, Ignan, Shaaran
    Favored Deities: Lliira, Silvanus, Talos, Tyr
    Regional Traits: Luck of Heroes, Mercantile Background, Militia
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Splint Mail and Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield; (B) Melee Contingency Kit and One 1st Level Potion of Your Choice (Caster Level 3rd).
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-08-12 at 08:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Default Underdark (Old Shanatar)

Underdark (Old Shanatar)

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Underdark (Old Shanatar))

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Ancient Shanatar, once the homeland of the shield dwarves, fell many centuries ago. However, Iltkazar, the Mithral Kingdom, still remains.

Region: Underdark (Old Shanatar) (Dwarf)
    Automatic Languages: Dwarven, Undercommon
    Bonus Languages: Aquan, Draconic, Elven, Gnome, Terran
    Favored Deities: Dumathoin
    Regional Traits: Azerblood, Batrider, Dauntless, Thunder Twin, Tireless
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Dwarven Urgrosh or Masterwork Heavy Mace; (B) Masterwork Chainmail and Three Potions of Cure Light Wounds.

Lore: Generations of humans from Calimshan and the Lake of Steam have been enslaved by the beholders of Zokir and the drow of Guallidurth. Many escaped into the Udnerdark wilds, led by Ibrandul the Skulking God. However, they continue to make their homes in the lightless lands that have become their home.

Region: Underdark (Old Shalantar) (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Calishine*, Tethyrian
    Automatic Languages: Dwarven
    Bonus Languages: Aquan, Alzhedo, Chondathan, Elven, Undercommon
    Favored Deities: Grumbar, Mask, Shar, Shaundakul, Talona, Talos
    Regional Traits: Dauntless, Resist Poison, Swift and Silent
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Battle Axe or Masterwork Dagger; (B) Masterwork Chain Shirt and a Deluxe Dungeoneering Kit.

Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-07-03 at 09:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Default Unther

Unther

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Unther)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: One of the three Old Empires of southeast Faerun, Unther was ruled for centuries by the evil god-king Gilgeam, who perished in the Time of Troubles. Now Unther is disintegrating from the twin pressures of Mulhorandi invasion and the squabbles of its own nobles and priests.

Region: Unther (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Mulan, Turami
    Automatic Languages: Untheric
    Bonus Languages: Chessentan, Draconic, Mulhorandi, Orc, Shaaran
    Favored Deities: Bane, Mystra, Mulhorandi Pantheon, Tiamat
    Regional Traits: Arcane Schooling, Street Smart, Theocrat, Thug
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Breastplate and Three Potions of Enlarge Person (Caster Level 1st); (B) Scroll of Detect Thoughts and Scorching Ray (Caster Level 3rd).

Lore: Like the folk of Mulhorand, the people of Unther were ruled by incarnate gods who often took morals as spouses.

Region: Unther (Planetouched)
    Recommended Subraces: Aasimar, Fire Genasi, Tiefling
    Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Chessentan, Dwarven, Orc, Shaaran
    Favored Deities: Anhur, Bane, Mystra, Tempus, Tiamat
    Regional Traits: Magic in the Blood, Theocrat, Thug
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Scale Mail and 20 Cold Iron Arrows; (B) Three Doses of Black Adder Venom.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-10-29 at 07:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Default Uthgardt Tribesfolk

Uthgardt Tribesfolk

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-the North)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: The Uthgardt barbarians roam the forests and hills of the North.

Region: Uthgardt Tribesfolk
    Recommended Subraces: Illuskan
    Bonus Languages: Chondathan, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Orc
    Favored Deities: Uthgar
    Regional Traits: Ancestral Spirit, Furious Charge, Oral History, Surefooted, Swift and Silent
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Battleaxe or Masterwork Greataxe; (B) Masterwork Studded Leather Armor Armor and 20 Masterwork Arrows.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-09-17 at 07:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Default Vaasa

Vaasa

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Vaasa)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: A cold, hard land formerly ruled by the terrible Witch-KingVaasa is no longer a bastion of evil - but neither is it a place for those who aren't ready to defend themselves with sword and spell.

Region: Vaasa (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Damaran, Vaasan
    Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Uluik
    Favored Deities: Auril, Orcus, Talos
    Regional Traits: Arctic Adaptation, Axethrower, Tireless
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Splint Mail; (B) Masterwork Heavy Mace or Masterwork Light Mace.

Lore: Once the soldiers of the Witch King, the half-orcs of Vaasa are a strong and study folk who manage to carve out a living from this forbidding land.

Region: Vaasa (Orc and Half-Orc)
    Recommended Subraces: Half-Orc, Mountain Orc
    Automatic Languages: Damaran, Orc
    Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Uluik, Undercommon
    Favored Deities: Bane, Orc Pantheon
    Regional Traits: Blooded, Dauntless, Surefooted
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Orc Double Axe or Masterwork Spear; (B) Chain Shirt and Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Default the Vast

The Vast

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-the Vast)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Home to small, independent city-states, such as Tantras and Raven's Bluff, the Vast is renowned as the land where adventurers can make names for themselves.

Region: the Vast (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Chondathan, Damaran
    Bonus Languages: Aglarondan, Chondathan, Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Rashemi
    Favored Deities: Chauntea, Eldath, Mystra, Tempus, Torm, Tymora, Umberlee, Waukeen
    Regional Traits: Luck of Heroes, Mercantile Background, Thug
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Three Potions of Cure Light Wounds (Caster Level 1st) and 20 Masterwork Arrows; (B) Banded Mail with Armor Spikes.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-10-29 at 07:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Default the Vilhon Reach

The Vilhoun Reach

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Vilhoun Reach)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Dominated by the old and decrepit realm of Chondath, the Vilhon Reach is a land of contradictions. A constant conflict simmers between sophisticated merchant-lords and a powerful druid circle that is determined to limit human expansion.

Region: the Vilhoun Reach (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Chondathan, Shaaran, Turami
    Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Halfling, Illuskan, Orc
    Favored Deities: Eldath, Helm, Lliira, Malar, Nobanion, Silvanus, Talos, Tempus, Tyr
    Regional Traits: Plague Resistant, Silver Palm, Snake Blood, Thug
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Dagger or Masterwork Rapier; (B) Chain Shirt and 20 Masterwork Bolts.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Default Waterdeep

Waterdeep

Under Construction

Source: Player's Guide to Faerun, Ultimate Psionics
    Knowledge (Local-Waterdeep)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Several large and prosperous shield dwarf clans inhabit Waterdeep and it's immediate environs, including the Forlorn Hills and the Sword Mountains.

Region: Waterdeep (Dwarf)
    Automatic Languages: Dwarven
    Bonus Languages: Alzhedo, Chondathon, Elven, Halfling, Illuskan, Orc
    Favored Deities: Dwarven Pantheon
    Regional Traits: Cosmopolitn, Silver Palm, Thug, Thunder Twin
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Chain Shirt and a steel family crest made with cut zircon and studded with tiger eye and turquoise gems worth 50gp; (B) Masterwork Heavy Mace or Masterwork Battleaxe.

Lore: Many moon elves reside in the forests and hills of the lower Delimibiyr and Dessarin Vales. They frequent the bustling human city of Waterdeep.

Region: Waterdeep (Elf)
    Recommended Subraces: Moon Elf
    Automatic Languages: Chondathan, Elven
    Bonus Languages: Alzhedo, Dwarven, Halfling, Illuskan, Orc
    Favored Deities: Elven Pantheon
    Regional Traits: Cosmopolitan, Smooth Talk, Twin Sword Style
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Dagger or Masterwork Rapier; (B) Wand of Magic Missile (Caster Level 1st; 20 Charges).

Lore: Elves and Humans have lived side by side on the Sword Coast for many centuries, so half-moon elves are fairly common in the city of splendors.

Region: Waterdeep (Half-Elf)
    Recommended Subraces: Half Moon-Elf
    Automatic Languages: Chondathan, Elven
    Bonus Languages: Alzhedo, Dwarven, Halfling, Illuskan, Orc
    Favored Deities: Angarradh, Sehanine Moonbow, Selune, Sune
    Regional Traits: Cosmopolitan, Smooth Talk, Twin Sword Style
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Dagger or Masterwork Rapier; (B) Masterwork Chain Shirt and 5 blue quartz gems worth 10gp each.

Lore: Known as the greatest city of the Sword Coast, Waterdeep is a cosmopolitan metropolis of bustling commerce, skulking rogues, and mighty wizards. It sits above the dreadful maze known as the Undermountain, which has long been a destination of interest for adventurers.

Region: Waterdeep (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Chondathan, Illuskan, Tethyrian
    Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Halfling, Illuskan, Orc
    Favored Deities: Faerunian Pathneon
    Regional Traits: Artist, Cosmopolitan, Education, Mercantile Background, Silver Palm, Smooth Talk, Twin Sword Style
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Longsword or Masterwork Rapier or Masterwork Short Sword; (B) Any Two Spells or Psionic Power scrolls or power stones of 2nd level or lower.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-10-29 at 07:10 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Western Heartlands

The Western Heartlands

Under Construction

Source: The Player's Guide to Faerun
    Knowledge (Local-Western Heartlands)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Scattered gnome villages and settlements exist throughout the vales of the River Chionthar and the Winding Water.

Region: Western Heartlands (Gnome)
    Recommended Subraces: Rock Gnome
    Automatic Languages: Gnome, Chondathan
    Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Goblin, Illuskan, Sylvan, Terran
    Favored Deities: Gnome Pantheon
    Regional Traits: Artist, Discipline, Strong Soul
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Pistol, Powderhorn, and Ten Masterwork Bullets; (B) Arcane Scroll of Invisibility and Mirror Image (Caster Level 3rd).

Lore: Halfling settlers can be found throughout the Western Heartlands, primarily on the vale west of the Far Hills.

Region: Western Heartlands (Halfling)
    Recommended Subraces: Lightfoot Halfling
    Automatic Languages: Chondathan, Halfling
    Bonus Languages: Alzhedo, Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Illuskan
    Favored Deities: Halfling Pantheon
    Regional Traits: Fearless, Luck of Heroes, Nobody's Fool
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Light Crossbow or Masterwork Shortbow; (B) Masterwork Chain Shirt.

Lore: Stretching from the Dragon Coast to the lower reaches of the Chionthar Vale, the Western Heartlands is home to scattered settlements and homesteads as well as caravan cities such as Iriaebor and Scornubel.

Region: Western Heartlands (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Calashine*, Chondathan
    Automatic Languages: Chondathan, Tethyrian
    Bonus Languages: Elven, Giant, Goblin, Illuskan, Midani, Orc, Turmic
    Favored Deities: Deneir, Helm, Kelemvor, Lathander, Oghma, Tempus
    Regional Traits: Artist, Bullheaded, Caravanner, Saddleback, Shadow Shield, Shadow Song, Snake Blood, Spire Walking
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Bastard Sword or Masterwork Greatsword; (B) Potion of Lesser Restoration.

Lore: Since the opening of a portal to the Nine Hells in the Year of the Worm, increasing numbers of devil-spawned tieflings have been encountered in the vicinity of Dragonspear Castle.

Region: Western Heartlands (Planetouched)
    Recommended Subraces: Tiefling
    Bonus Languages: Alzhedo, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Infernal, Orc
    Favored Deities: Bane, Cyric, Lathander, Mask, Oghma, Tempus
    Regional Traits: Dreadful Wrath, Street Smart, Thug
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Bastard Sword or Masterwork Greatsword or Masterwork Melee Weapon; (B) Potion of Lesser Restoration.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2017-05-23 at 12:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Wizards' Reach

The Wizard's Reach

Under Construction

Knowledge (Local-Aglarond)

Campaign Location:
    Shared Regions:

Lore: Along the southern coast of the Aglarondan peninsula lie the cities of the Wizards' Reach, a group of independent city-states long coveted (and contested) by Chessenta, Unther, and Thay.

Region: Wizards' Reach (Human)
    Recommended Subraces: Chondathan, Mulan, Rashemi
    Bonus Languages: Aglarondan, Chessentan, Elven, Mulhorandi, Orc, Serusan
    Favored Deities: Hoar, Mystra, Selune, Shar, Tiamat, Tyr, Umberlee, Velkur
    Regional Traits: Arcane Schooling, Spellwise, Street Smart
    Equipment: In addition to your normal starting equipment at first level, you can select either (A), (B), or neither and add 100gp to your starting gold. These benefits only apply to starting 1st level characters. (A) Masterwork Studded Leather Armor and 10 Masterwork Bolts; (B) One scroll of any 2nd level spell or lower and 3 thunderstones.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2016-10-29 at 07:12 PM.