New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default New Warlord in Town

So... when (if at whenever) will the Alliance (probably Vinnie) realize that Stanley has a new warlord? Afterall, it has been implied that Stanley's battle history has been... unimpressive. This brilliant new battle plan might seem uncharetaristic.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: New Warlord in Town

My guess is they'll find out when Jillian tells them. I'm not sure how much Wanda spilled in their casual chat, but it seemed like she was about to tell Jillian about Parson.

I have a (formerly) private theory that Wanda's control of Jillian is about to break down in a big way. The grieving Jillian we've seen since the torture session and release hints at gears turning slowly and inexorably towards a breakdown.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryos View Post
    My guess is they'll find out when Jillian tells them. I'm not sure how much Wanda spilled in their casual chat, but it seemed like she was about to tell Jillian about Parson.
    The really interesting question is why Wanda did so. The possibilities that occur to me are:

1. She needed to vent about the Tool, and Jillian is the most trustworthy and sympathetic audience available. (Note that she later makes comments like "You're a quicker study than His Toolship" to Parson, as she develops some rapport with him.)

2. Revealing a truth (that will soon be obvious anyway, once Parson has shown his stuff enough times that it can no longer be dismissed as Stanley stumbling upon one or two good ideas) might help enhance the credibility of misinformation. That said, the only indication of misinformation is that Wanda's description to Jillian of what kind of magic went into the spell doesn't match what she told Stanley.

3. Giving Jillian tidbits of information (again, that will become known anyway) helps Wanda give an impression that she's being helpful and friendly to Jillian, as part of her psychological manipulations.

Speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Speclation: Wanda arranges Jillian's "escapes" in such a way that Jillian believes that Wanda is personally sneaking her out against Stanley's wishes. Properly staged, a tense and romantic "rescue" could have quite a psychological impact, and cement an impression that Wanda is working against Stanley. If Jillian believed that, she would have good reason to lie to cover up Wanda's actions, and feel no conflict of loyalties about doing so.

I have a (formerly) private theory that Wanda's control of Jillian is about to break down in a big way. The grieving Jillian we've seen since the torture session and release hints at gears turning slowly and inexorably towards a breakdown.
    It's difficult to tell without having seen any of Jillian's previous captivities, but if "the very hard way" really is some new escalation, it's a distinct possiblity that Wanda has overplayed her hand.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-06-28 at 07:44 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am not sure if Wanda even told Jillian about Parson though. She said about the spell, but got the specifics wrong (deleberately?), so she may not have gone into anymore details.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flakey View Post
    I am not sure if Wanda even told Jillian about Parson though. She said about the spell, but got the specifics wrong (deleberately?), so she may not have gone into anymore details.
    Presumably, we'll find out when she finally does rejoin the column, as Ansom will want to debrief her (insert "yeah, we've known that since page 7" joke here).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-06-28 at 08:23 AM.