New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 44 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default 3SC's Skull & Shackles IC

"Skull & Shackles"

"They came aboard, all blades and screams. We didn’t have any fight in us, and they took our provisions, our extra sails, all of our tools, and our fat sot of a captain’s gold. Then they asked who the chief carpenter was. When everyone looked my way, they clapped hands on me and dragged me across to their ship. That was one year, ten battles, and twice as many ports ago. Had I known that I’d be better off on a pirate’s ship than on a merchant’s vessel... well, it reminds me of part of a song the sailors sang when I used to cut planks for the Shipwrights’ Guild: 'There’s a ship that’s a leavin’ Quent, and on you’ll quickly sign. The captain’s a tyrant, the bosun’s worse, but she’ll a-suit ya fine...'"

- Mathis Trevain, Master Carpenter aboard the Emerald Wake

It's the water that wakes you. Cold and stinging, it coats what remains of your belongings in a layer of indiscriminate salt and grime. Some of you even manage get it in your nose or in your mouths. Spitting and stirring awake, a few of you open your eyes and immediately wish you hadn't. It's hard to remember the taste of anything sweeter than the sea, and yet you're quite able to do so. Fragments of last night float back to you: ringing laughter about the tavern, the scents of richly stewed meat, frothy ales, and perfume lingering about your mouths. All of it the heady joy of excess. And of course, everything you can remember only makes the sights and smells before you all that much more intolerable.

Beyond your pounding headaches and the mingling of cheap wine and salt water on your palettes, you are met with a wooden floor and the unmistakable rhythmic creaking of a vessel out at sea. Wherever you are now, it's certainly not Port Peril. Looking up to get a better view of your surroundings, you are immediately met by a crowd of leers. Several unwashed sailors stand over you with buckets, no doubt the ones responsible behind your rude awakening. There are six of them in all, plus one figure in the back: an assorted crowd, that includes a huge half-orc, a surly dwarf, and two women. One of them, a massive Garundi, stands in front, her face hidden by a demonic mask (which Petaba recognizes as his own). Those that aren't brandishing weapons at you are not far from drawing one, should things get rough. Once she sees to it that all of you are conscious, the Garundi turns back to her superior, who paces the deck of the hold.

The man in question seems to be set with a permanent sneer, a braided beard, and a mouth full of gold teeth. His body is tall and thin, and even his long coat and heavy boots fail to give any impression of strength or bulk. His skin is shiny with a fresh coat of sweat, which has resulted in several noticeable bouts of crippling warts. In his hand sits a deadly looking whip, which judging by the different sort of stains on the handle, has seen quite a bit of use. His eyes regard you like an eel about to pounce on its prey, as he opens his mouth to speak for the first time. "Still abed with the sun over the yardarm? On your feet, ye filthy swabs! Get up on deck and report for duty before Cap’n Harrigan flays your flesh into sausage skins and has Fishguts fry ye up for breakfast!" The man doesn't introduce himself, nor does he seem intent on giving you time to collect yourselves before facing your new ordeal.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So, a few things. I've included a few spoilers based on skill DCs below. More often than not, I'll be including those in the IC thread, so as not to miss them. Please roll OOC and then make an IC post, otherwise just write a placeholder with the rolls spoilered and then edit your result into your writing. I find it's the neatest way of handling things when it comes to making rolls. Another alternative is to just roll on Roll20's built in die roller and then use that to formulate the data for a post. Everyone is free to make the rolls to try and feat the DCs.

Now, as to the matter of gear. All of your characters will begin the game without any of the equipment you've bought, aside from the clothes they are currently wearing and an item or two that the pirates missed or didn't care enough to take. All armor, weapons, spellbooks, and holy symbols (as well as other miscellaneous items) must be bought, bartered, or stolen back from the pirates at a later time. Here is the list of items for each character:

Jarred - mirror
    Catrina - nothing
    Kana - nothing
    Petaba - spices
    Variel - nothing
    Hiss - blanket
    Lodan - healer's kit
    Thysh - deck of cards

You'll note that a few of you are starting with literally nothing but the clothes on your back. Since you didn't give me any gear to work with that wasn't armor, weapons, or a spellbook of some kind, the pirates just left you with nothing. Fear not, you'll be able to get all (or most, at least) of your precious gear back before too long.

Spoiler: DC 10 Perception
    Show
    Your keen senses pick up a distinctive aftertaste of oily nutmeg on your tongue, veiled behind the traces of other foul substances that reside therein.

Spoiler: DC 15 Craft (Alchemy) or Knowledge (Nature)
    Show
    You recognize the taste immediately, putting the pieces together and discovering that the agent used to bring all of you here was in fact oil of taggit, an ingested poison no doubt slipped into your food or drink in order to disguise the taste.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-04-17 at 07:53 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: 3SC's Skull & Shackles IC

Hiss, reptilian barbarian

The water splashed across the assembled 'recruits,' bringing about surprised splutters to a wave of jeers from the assembled crew. As the others were roused by this rude awakening, there was a low rumble from the center of the group where a lumpy pile of blankets sat. Even as the thin pirate berated them and demanded they rise, the mound began to move, now wet with nasty salt water. The man held his whip at the ready, as if looking for an excuse to use it immediately, but perhaps just as surprising to the group was the blankets rising up in their midst.

The blanket began to hover, rising up up to well over six feet. The wet fabric slid away, revealing a huge figure, seemingly clad in dark armor. However, upon closer inspection, the creature wasn't clad in armor - it was covered in scales that shifted between black and blue, swallowing the light as it touched upon them. A large crest ran from the figure's forehead to the back of its neck; its chest and arms were covered in numerous piercings and markings; and a long scar ran from its cheek (?) to its throat. The monster that stood breathing heavily in the center of the group was heavily muscled and imposing as any nightmare.

From somewhere on the face, two slits opened, revealing piercing yellow eyes, like those of a snake, sweeping across the group before settling on the man with the whip. It knew land wasn't close - it had felt the ship moving late last night. It considered the distance to the man with the whip, whether it could make it to him before anyone could intercede, but the other armed men seemed to anticipate those thoughts as their hands hovered near weapons. It could almost taste the fear in the air ... but this was not a fight it could win.

Not yet ...

Inhaling deeply, its chest swelling up impressively, it let out a long "Hissssssssss" before it moved towards the nearest exit.

Show
    Okay, throwing an Intimidate check here - call it a "Don't mess with me" check for now Intimidate - (1d20+12)[14]
    EDIT: Figures ...

Heading up to the deck, I suppose ... unless something exciting happens.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 14/14
    AC: 12
    F +5 R +2 W +2
    Perception +6; Sense Motive +0
    Effects: None
    Last edited by Starbin; 2016-06-07 at 01:06 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

An unusual hangover

Lodan turns around on the floor, presenting his back to the general direction from where that first bucket of salt water came. He mumbles: “not now, Joana...” A kick in the lower ribs finishes waking him up. “Alright, 'right.” He slowly moves to a sitting position, registering the great pain throbbing through his head “ouch,” and a taste like a hundred rotting mackerels in a very, very, desperately, dry mouth.

The sight of an imposing armored black... reptile? dragon? whatever it is, emerging from under those blankets achieves to convince Lodan he should go back to sleep and wake again, hoping this all is indeed a nightmare and that a modification of his state of consciousness would induce a change of predicament.

A woman with a demonic mask towers over him. “Say, you wouldn't have a drink to spare?” She kicks him hard, in the belly this time. “Didn't think so,” through gritted teeth, as he bends over. As the woman readies another kick, he shows an open palm. “Alright! Got it! Standing up now!” Lodan stands, one hand out towards the woman in a gesture of submission, the other over his aching belly.

Lodan surveys his companions of misfortune. A bunch of ragged looking people, with all colors and shapes. A couple of them (a half-orc and the black dragon-man, who seems to be also sharing their circumstances) seem tough enough. Time to make friends, Lodan. He takes a couple steps towards the half-orc, extending a hand to help him up.

Spoiler: Rollin'
    Show
    Perception, as queried: (1d20-1)[3].
    Knowledge (local) to identify the various humanoids around (PC and NPC): (1d20+6)[9].
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-06-07 at 04:38 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

What a nice start to what will surely be a nice day says the little voice in Thysh's mind. Waking up in the belly of a ship that she does not remember boarding is nothing new to her, but the angry pirates are a novel touch. She tries to chase the sleep from her mind, largely unsuccessfully, and decides that it might help to pull her face from the water-drenched floor and get up.

She quickly draws in a breath in preparation for the shift to her feet, and accidentally draws in a nosefull of seawater from the floor. It burns, as seawater is wont to do when applied to the inside of one's nose, and she splutters and coughs. It has the effect of quickly waking her up, though it does mean that she has to draw another breath to rise.

She swings her feet around, getting them underneath herself, and unfurls to her full (albeit still quite limited) height. She holds her back straight, more in the interest of stretching than of good form, and stands to attention. No sense in making things worse for herself.

As she waits, she watches the others, seeing out of the corner of her eye what each of them does. She is distracted somewhat by an odd taste in her mouth, perhaps some remnant of the night before, but she can't quite place it. She turns her focus back to the pirates in front of her, ready to respond to any order that will avoid the application of that whip.

Spoiler: Rolling the Dice
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+8)[21]
    Craft: Alchemy (1d20+7)[14]
    Last edited by Sen isSaqqara; 2016-06-07 at 11:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Petaba

A low, rumbling groan escapes from Petaba's cracked lips. The soft pulsing in his head heralded a hangover, though not one of enough potency to explain waking up in a place he had no memory of getting to. The foul taste on his tongue though, that could offer a clue. He couldn't quite identify the substance, but it very much wasn't how beer was supposed to taste, even in a place like the Formidably Maid.

A moment, and his head clears enough to resolve the scene. The man with the gold teeth was barking orders at them. A Garundi woman with a fearsome mask (His mask! That thief!) was stalking about. And standing above him, a shaggy-looking human with his hand extended. The human was the only one who seemed to be friendly at the moment, so Petaba accepts the help up. He staggers to his feet, swaying along with the roll of the floor. His clothes were filthy, the muck obscuring the bright patterns, and not helped at all by the saltwater that forced the cloth to cling. Tyrvus would have mocked him endlessly for such a disheveled appearance. The state of things indicated only one possible thing: they were on a ship at sea.

Petaba nods to the human. "Thank you, friend." He looks around again. An enormous black lizardman and a blue gnome catch his eye. What interesting company he had found himself with.
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

A new friend

Lodan grins at the stranger's usage of the word: friend. “Name's Tanner,” whispers Lodan, “I, for one, will keep my head down in front of those,” with a sly nod towards the man with the bloodied whip.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-06-07 at 10:43 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Deliberately opening his eyes, Jarred takes only the briefest moment to look at his surroundings without moving his head before lifting himself up and standing among the other press-ganged riffraff. As he notices his sister among the unfortunate crew members he growls quietly to himself. "Figures that we would end up together," he mumbles as he reaches down to casually help her up. "Come on - it's going to be a rough day, better to move fast and push hard," he grumbles into her ear before turning and looking at the others more closely.

Several of the others look tough enough to take a beating and keep on kicking, and the reptilian man could certainly be a useful ally. As the creature rises and hisses at the assembled pirates Jarred nods in understanding. Speaking in the sibilant tongue of the true dragons, Jarred hisses at him,

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    "Greetings. You speak the language of power - strike fear in the fools' hearts at your own risk, though. Watch your back or they will put a shank there..."

Turning to the rest, he spits, "You heard them - move! Don't keep the captain waiting!" Then he roughly pushes through the hatch towards the weather deck, deliberately moving to the front of the group.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Perception (1d20+3)[10]
    Untrained Knowledge (Local) (1d20+1)[17] to remember anything about the captain or recognize any of these pirates (allowed through campaign trait)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Petaba

"Aye, that seems like a good idea. You can smell the malice on him. Petaba Fane, by the way," Petaba says, gesturing to himself. "Might as well do as he says and get up to deck."

Petaba walks unsteadily to the way up, keeping his head down. He casts a sidelong glance at the woman who had stolen his mask. He'd be getting that back soon enough.

The light was blinding, a bright spear into his brain. The cackling of gulls only made it worse. A solid mass bumps against Petaba's thigh. He pats it, smiling. Seems though his captors had taken everything else, they'd missed his spices. At least he wouldn't have to eat flavorless food for what seemed to likely be a short life.
    Last edited by Space Lawyer; 2016-06-07 at 10:59 AM.

Discord Tag #4097

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

An unwilling sailor

Bootlicker,” mumbles Lodan under his breath, for Fane's sole enjoyment, as an answer to the red-haired man's shouts. Yet, Lodan gets in line to move out, giving a wide berth to both the black dragon-man and the one with the whip. The red haired man is apparently with a red-haired woman. Are they lovers? Related? Who cares?

As he takes a few steps forward, he feels something pressing against his calf. He remembers grabbing a dagger last night, and slipping it into his boot, but this clearly doesn't feel like a knife; dammit.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-06-07 at 11:28 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh, having initially missed the part about getting to the deck, moves along with the others. She steps quickly to stay just ahead of the middle of the group, trying not to jostle anyone too badly, instead relying on her small stature to let her dodge and weave as required.
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kana wakes up with a sputter before blinking the salt water out of her eyes. The druid's tongue swirls around the inside of her mouth, picking out some vague sensations that she can't quite place. She listens to the bearded man's words as a pained look crosses her face. No. Not again. The despair is quickly replaced by a smouldering anger. She knew what needed to be done. Blend in, stay low, bide her time and wait for an opportunity to escape. Just like with Coal-Dark.

She gives a quick furtive glance around the hold at the others before silently falling behind the great scaled man. As odd as his appearance is, the sea most certainly holds stranger things. She'd heard them amid the currents and tides. Back in the grotto. Shaking the memories and remaining grogginess from her head, Kana heads up to the main deck.

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Bootlicker,” mumbles Lodan under his breath, for Fane's sole enjoyment, as an answer to the red-haired man's shouts.
    (Jarred does not notice the other PC whispering.)

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Perception (1d20+3)[9] vs DC 15

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The pleasant darkness of debatable existence shatters in an instant as briny water is flung unceremoniously into Catrina's open mouth and nose. Hacking and sputtering, the lean young woman rolls away from the assault reflexively. Caught unawares- unconscious, even- the splash makes it extraordinarily difficult to catch her breath which comes out in thick wheezes, the last two interrupted with a few heaves of bile, salt water, and empty air.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    ...as he reaches down to casually help her up. "Come on - it's going to be a rough day, better to move fast and push hard," he grumbles into her ear...
    Catrina looks up into the familiar green eyes of her brother's square face. Nodding, she accepts his help, and largely lets him pull her to her feet by main strength.

Only then, squinting in the dimly lit room, does Catrina take note of the full depth of her brother's comments. "Oh." The simple word reveals the full depth of her dismay abundantly for all to see. She lowers her head at the bark of an order, largely ignoring her fellow captives as she whispers a near-silent prayer to Besmara. Jarred barks a strikingly similar echo, and a faint smirk appears on Catrina's lips- presented only to the floor.

Forcing her expression into one of passive submission, she steps towards the door- eager to not disappoint.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

By the time you all reach the main deck - followed by the man in the whip and several of his cronies - it becomes quickly apparent that you are on a sizeable ship and nowhere near the mainland. The best you can see of land at all is a faint ochre haze on the southern horizon, many miles astern. Those of you with any knowledge of geography know that you're somewhere in the northern reaches of Jeopardy Bay, at least a good day's sail away from Port Peril. The sun is quite bright, casting a baleful eye on the deck, and although there's a good northwesterly wind in the ship's sails, you can feel the heat the moment you emerge into the light.

Looking around, you come to notice that you are not the only ones on deck, not by a long shot. Nearly half a dozen figures cluster around the main deck, at the base of the mainmast, and in the rigging. Pirates, just like the ones at your back. But none of them are looking at you. Instead, they gaze up to the higher deck on the stern, where two more people stand. One of them is a broad, muscular Garundi man with a shaven head, a long beard bound with gold rings, and an eye patch over his left eye - clearly the captain. The other is a younger, balding man with a long black ponytail, wearing a long cost and carrying a well-used cat-o'-nine tails.

By the time all eight of you are out in the open, the two officers on deck begin to descend the starboard stairs down to the main deck. As he approaches, you can see that the captain's armor is adorned with skulls, and he wears a pair of swords at his belt and a pair of double-barrelled pistols in holsters at his side. His face might as well be made of stone, but the man's eyes are alight with some spark of cruel amusement. "Glad you could join us at last! Welcome to the Wormwood! My thanks for 'volunteering' to join my crew. I'm Barnabas Harrigan. That's Captain Barnabas Harrigan to you, not that you'll ever need to address me. I only have one rule - don't speak to me. I like talk, but I don't like your talk. Follow that rule, and we'll all get along fine."

"Oh, and one more thing," Harrigan says as he turns back towards the door to his cabin. "Even with you new recruits, we're still short-handed, and I aim to keep what crew I have. There'll be a keelhaulin' for anyone caught killin' anyone. Mr. Plugg!" The man with the ponytail turns to him with an open scowl, but the captain pays it no mind. "If you'd be so kind as to make proper pirates out of these landlubbers, it'll save me having to put 'em in the sweatbox for a year and a day before I make pies out of 'em." With that, Captain Harrigan is gone, striding into his cabin and promptly closing the door behind him.

In the wake of the captain's departure, everyone else looks to the man in charge: Mr. Plugg. For the first time since you've seen him, he breaks into a nasty looking smile. "Come on, you swabs! Amidships, double time! Let's see what you're made of."

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 15
    Show
    For those of you who know the score of pirates around the Shackles, the name 'Barnabas Harrigan' began aboard this very ship, the Wormwood, several years ago. At the time, it was captained by one Alastair Flint, but after one fateful journey, the ship reappeared with Flint dead and Harrigan in command. The man has developed a fearsome reputation since then, even escaping a Chelaxian blockade fifty miles off of Khari, although it cost him most of his existing crew. Harrigan is a born pirate, and apparently as ruthless as they come, although he's not born to wanton acts of cruelty.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-01-07 at 08:19 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The reluctant pirate

Coming up on the deck, Lodan thinks he hears drums for an instant, before realizing it's just the heat renewing the pounding between his temples. As they are walked towards the officer Lodan holds a trembling hand in front of him. Alcohol deprivation or mundane fear? Not a day for juggling with knives for sure.

While in front of the officers, Lodan takes a deep pride in his total absence of curiosity to look over these men, which in turn helps him avoid any chance of eye contact as he finds the tip of his worn boots far more interesting. He swallows when he hear the captain's name, recognizing it all too well. It could be worse. It could have been... well, no kidding oneself, it's as bad a situation as they come.

When Harrigan leaves the floor, Lodan raises a tentative hand, even daring to raises his eyes to the level of Plugg's chest. "Sir? Please? I'm Tanner, last assignment: carpenter and surgeon on the Peace Makes Plenty, in case you're in need of such work..." Lodan grits his teeth, bracing himself for a possible blow.

Show
    Knowledge (local), (1d20+6)[26].
    Diplomacy, (1d20+7)[19].
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-06-08 at 09:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh takes a half-moment to realise that she has no idea where amidships might be. Partly for that reason, and partly on general principal, she waits for one of the others to make the first move. She follows close behind, trying again to be just ahead of the middle of the pack.

She keeps an eye out for anyone having trouble. She's not in a very good position to render much assistance, being a rather small individual, but down in the hold a few of the others seemed friendly enough, and perhaps she could indicate to one of them that help is needed. She would hate to see that cat-o'-nine-tails being applied to anyone before she has the chance to meet them.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Petaba

Petaba waits to see what sort of reception Tanner receives before offering his own skills. Harrigan might not be known for pointless cruelty, but this Plugg seemed like a made sadist. If he was the sort who could restrain his viciousness for a moment to hear a man out, then Petaba might speak up. If, however, the man was as nasty as Petaba expected, it would be better to just follow along. Every instinct towards freedom and action cried out against such submission, but Petaba could recognize a situation where defiance might very well get him killed.

Discord Tag #4097

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

The Bewildered Arcanist

Variel wakes poorly, spending nearly a minute coughing up salt water and only really clearing his head once he's walked into the painfully bright sun. He was actually fairly used to accidentally getting a mouthful of seawater, but the pounding hangover was certainly new.

The tall, weedy elf makes a point of keeping to the center or the group and keeping his head down as they're led to their orientation speech, muttering in oddly accented elven under his breath "Nine hells, I knew things were going to well."

Once the ship's captain introduced himself, Variel's head shot up in surprise, his off-white eyes wide with shock. This really wasn't great, he'd made a point of not working for anyone who had a habit of killing people in the past, not a precedent he liked set when he was around.

Swiftly regaining his composure, the elf waited to see how Lodan's offer was taken before speaking. Manning whatever weapons this place had was almost certainly a better job than what was currently planned for him, but he wasn't about to get stabbed for speaking out of turn.
    Last edited by St.Just; 2016-06-08 at 01:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina looks about the assembled and unassembled crew with undisguised curiosity. Her eyes widen appreciatively in particular when they stray across the captain's two-barreled pistols. She has the good sense to remain silent and submissive to anyone who speaks.

...Well, most anyone. She almost drops her jaw to the deck when some damned fool has the audacity to speak when told to move. She then promptly trips over a waifish Gnome with colorful hair, as the short woman hesitates when ordered as well. "Amidships," she hisses. Gently enough to not throw the woman over, Catrina shoves her in the right direction as she regains her balance. Still under her breath, she offers a hoarse word of guidance. "It means the damned middle! Now come on, before you taste the business end of that scourge!"

Stumbling through the hazy fog that is reality after that much alcohol- for it was indeed primarily alcohol that caused this affair, Catrina hustles towards the middle of the ship. Whatever this is, it won't be good, she complains silently.

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

Jarred watches and listens stoically, standing tall and allowing his strong arms and back to be seen. When Tanner speaks he doesn't turn to look, instead waiting and watching out of the corner of his eyes as he leads the bulk of the new crew members towards the center of the vessel.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh keeps pace with Catrina, after stumbling the first few steps.

"Thanks. Wasn't certain if they meant middle in the up-down sense or the front-back sense. Or both."

When they arrive, she tries to find a place next to her new redheaded acquaintance. If nothing else, this unexpected trip at least presents the opportunity to meet some new people, and to hear some new stories, so she feels that she had better get to work. Catrina strikes her as the kind of person who would have an interesting past, and who could perhaps be a friend.
    Last edited by Sen isSaqqara; 2016-06-08 at 11:10 PM.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hiss, reptilian barbarian

The large lizard-man was walking towards the deck when a voice spoke in a language it recognized. Yellow eyes flickered towards the speaker, taking in the red-haired man, then returned to the path in front of it. It hissed a bit, but continued on to the deck, where the Captain and the remainder of his crew awaited. The black-scaled beast walked to the open spot where the group was expected to gather, hunched down to lower its height as it watched the world around it. The ocean stretched on, seemingly forever, so there was nowhere to go.

The Captain introduced himself, then arrogantly turned away, leaving this Mr. Plug shouting orders. As the group hesitantly moved forward, the lizard-man moved to follow those who moved with purpose.

Show
    He heard mid-ship ... so middle ship it is!

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 14/14
    AC: 12
    F +5 R +2 W +2
    Perception +6; Sense Motive +0
    Effects: None
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

In the aftermath of Lodan's opening his mouth to speak up to Plugg, silence reigns on the deck. Since Harrigan is gone, all eyes are on the first mate, to see how he reacts. Plugg reaches for the cat... and stops. "Master Scourge!" The man with the whip who woke you up in the hold moves forward from behind your ranks about the mainmast. "Please remind Tanner here what happens to those who don't know their place." All but happy to obey, Scourge winds up his right arm to give Lodan a lash from behind. However, he manages to miss the rogue entirely, as Lodan dodges the unexpected attack out of of pure reflex.

For the second time in minutes, everyone is quiet. No one dares offend the ship's bosun at this time, especially as Scourge is armed and glowering in obvious frustration at his mistake. Once more, Plugg breaks the silence. "Come now, Master Scourge. You'd think you'd be able to hit a stationary target! Or have you gone soft on us?" His words are echoed by a chorus of snickering from the rest of the riggers. Scourge's second strike hits home, tearing at Lodan's clothing and leaving a long, bloody welt across his back. But worst of all, Plugg's eyes never leave Lodan's, and his mouth is twisted into a cold smile. They both know what's just happened.

"Now that that's over with," the first mate continues as he addresses the eight of you, "it's time to see what you're made of! First things first, the Wormwood is in need of a new rigger! See the top of the mainmast up there?" He points to the tallest portion of the ship, the rope and sails beyond the crow's nest. It's about sixty feet straight up from where you're all standing. "The first person who makes it to the top joins the rigging team! The rest of you, report back to me... if you don't fall to your deaths first."

Show
    Okay, so here's how this works. As per the climbing rules, you all need to make DC 10 checks to advance up a quarter of your speed in the rigging. For most of you, that means 7.5 ft, so you'll need to make eight separate checks as a part of eight separate move actions. To save time, I'm going to ask that you roll all of these checks at once (in the OOC thread, please). You can - and should - take double move actions to advance up to 15 ft in one round.

Failure by 4 or less means that you don't advance, so must try again the next action (I'd roll a set of eight to twelve, just to be sure). Failure by 5 or more means that you fall from your current height (which I will calculate). You may also try to accelerate your climb by taking a -5 penalty on your check, with a successful check doubling your vertical speed for the move action in question. If two of you reach the top in the same round, the person with the highest roll wins. If it's a tie, I'll have two of you join the riggers.

Any of you may also deliberately try to fail the test. Doing so requires a Bluff roll, opposed by Plugg's Sense Motive. Failure means you will most likely be whipped by Scourge.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-01-07 at 08:20 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

The reluctant pirate

For an instant, it seems like cringing reflexively from Scourge, thus avoiding his whip, would provoke an even worse retribution. Lodan welcomes the second lash with relief, only turning to protect his face from it, making sure to be hit. No sense in provoking them more than this. The sting on his back is payment enough, for now.

At Pugg's orders, Lodan mutters a subsumed "yes sir" before moving towards the mast. He slowly raises his eyes to the top, swallowing what little spit he has left. He looks towards his companions of misfortune, then back to the mast, then back towards Pugg, then back to the mast. All the while, a progressively more desperate expression twists his features. Lodan grabs whatever he can, to slowly and surely start his ascent, making sure to give a little cry of pain as he does so.

After a moderately fast start, Lodan lowers the pace, panting, trying to look wounded and winded.

Show
    In order. I will first make a climb roll to have Lodan genuinly climb the first part, in a show of good faith. Then I'll roll bluff to have him pretend he's not up to the task, acting weakened by the lash.
    Climb: (1d20)[10].
    Bluff: (1d20+7)[11]. Do I get a cirmcumstance bonus to my bluff roll, since Lodan is already wounded?
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-06-09 at 10:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Petaba

Tanner's venture had gone about as well as Petaba had expected, it seemed. In fact, it may have gone even worse, if Plugg's expression was any indication Tanner had made himself an enemy, one with the power to rain misery down at-will. It was looking like the human might be a dangerous person to know.

The command to climb turns Petaba's attention upwards. The last thing he had climbed of any comparable height was a tree in the Mwangi Expanse, in an attempt to escape an angry rhino. That tree, however, hadn't been on the middle of a swaying ship, being blasted by wind and salt spray.

Oddly enough though, it didn't seem too difficult. It was much easier to get up the rope ladders than branches. Petaba gets stuck halfway up, but quickly spies an alternate path It was an interesting challenge, a game to solve. However, Petaba notices he is actually climbing much too fast. If he got the top, he'd be on the rigging team, and that could only mean being up here every day. As he nears the top, he slows, pretending to hold tightly to the shaking lines.

He looks down though, and sees a furious Plugg, gripping the cat tightly. Petaba knows for certain what awaits him on deck. Hoping to avoid maybe a lash or two, he restarts his climb in earnest . . . only to find that he is actually stuck! The rough hemp of the ropes is cutting into his hands, and the salt grinding into the wounds inflames them.

Spoiler: Acting the part
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+7)[10]
    Last edited by Space Lawyer; 2016-06-09 at 11:12 AM.

Discord Tag #4097

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina pointedly doesn't react to the lashings- Don't draw the wrong attention. Don't draw the wrong attention. DON'T draw the wrong attention! If she possessed the ability, her gaze would be boring holes in the wooden deck.
    "The first person who makes it to the top joins the rigging team! The rest of you, report back to me... if you don't fall to your deaths first."
    Catrina suddenly jerks her neck back, her eyes upward. The sudden movement triggers a blinding burst of pain as the blood struggles to keep up in her quasi-inebriated state. That's not so high- the underside of the docks were slicker, too, I bet. Seeing her first chance to shine, the athletic young woman dashes towards the nearest secured strand of rigging.

In her haste and stupor, she miss-places her foot. Twice! Damn it! Finally, just as the fairly-muscled Half-Orc gets his boots over Catrina's head, does she plant her foot in the rung properly. A striking grin splits her features, and she bolts up the net with astonishing speed- rapidly making up for the lost time.

It isn't long at all before she's caught or passed the other climbers. Now she just has to stay ahead....

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

Jarred wastes no time starting to climb, but does not climb as quickly as the others. Instead he reaches out and grabs at arms, legs, and anything else he can to hinder and slow down the other climbers, with the exception of Catrina (who he ignores). He makes no effort to hide his actions, instead grinning and laughing as he goes about throwing arm and shoulder into the other climbers.

Given his efforts, he doesn't get very high before falling back, but makes quite the scene about the rope ladders...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh wastes no time in rushing to the bottom of the rigging. Once there, she takes a moment to look at the ropes, comically oversized by comparison to her small frame. She begins shimmying up the first section of net, making a great and exaggerated (but hopefully also convincing) show of attempting to get to the first rung. She only partly has to act; it honestly is a hard climb for such a short person.

I probably wouldn't make a good rigger anyways. Though, it does look like that friendly lady is doing pretty well...
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kana begins to scale her way upwards to the rigging, paying little heed to those around her. Her fingers are able to find little nooks and crannies, a symptom of her time aboard the Eclipse if ever there had been one. All in all she comported herself quite well as she tried to scurry her way to the top, despite the red-haired man's attempts to pull her back down to the others. A**hole. The anger gives her enough strength to keep climbing past his childish attempts to stop her.

And thats when the blackscale shoots past her. Faster than her, or any of the others. Any anger she felt towards the man trying to grab her dissipates into sadness and frustration. The air around her gets a little bit more crisp and cleaner to breath as minute sparks dance across her skin in answer to the frustration. A little less salty. Ozone. It would have been quite the view from up there. All blue like and away from everyone.

Still she keeps climbing. If anything getting to the top second will show the vile man with the whip that she's useful.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2016-06-09 at 10:41 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing how speaking out was taken, Variel swallowed his words and just waited for instructions, looking at the ground and trying to not to attract any whip-bringing attention.

As they're all directed to climb the rigging, the lanky elf looks up and swallows nervously. Frankly, he had more than enough trouble keeping his balance on the ship's deck, let alone a few stories up in a mess of rigging.

Waiting a moment to see how everyone else was moving, he reached up to grab a hold of low-hanging ropes, attempting to drag himself off the ground and extending his leg out...for a rope far too high for him to reach without pulling something, sending him tumbling awkwardly to the ground.

Getting up quickly, nervously looking behind him at the assembled pirates for a bit of motivation, Variel tried again, more carefully now, making small upward movements, getting several feet off the ground...then missing a mildly ambitious reach, and falling heavily on his back.

Breathing heavily as he dragged himself off the ground a second time, Variel more or less threw himself at the ropes, frantically climbing to try and catch up, or at least not embarrass himself enough to warrant some special punishment. Muttering curses in Draconic, Cyclops and several more archaic languages as his muscles burned from the exertion, the scrawny scholar actually pulled himself nearly 30 feet into the air. At which point he missed a handhold as the ship bobbed over a mildly large wave, the motion sending him falling freely away from the rigging with a startled scream.

With a bit of luck, he managed to avoid falling off the ship entirely, and while he landed heavily, nothing was broken or seriously bruised. In a heap near the edge of the deck, he groaned loudly I'll just be here for a bit. Someone else can get the rigging job.
    Last edited by St.Just; 2016-06-09 at 10:36 PM.