New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 3SC's Skull & Shackles IC

Petaba

Petaba reacts quickly to Tanner's shouted warning. He spots the mass of sodden fur, and launches a vicious overhead chop at it. However, Tanner's knife stops the rat in its tracks, and Petaba's sword bites into the planking. "And stay down!" he yells at the corpse, wrenching his sword free. He sidles to the right, mirroring Tanner's movements.
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina, the last one down the ladder, hops to port-side in the flooded bilges. Passably familiar with the nature of ships, its state doesn't surprise her much, though the oppressive heat is something she's not yet experienced. Still, it fortunately doesn't take long to draw their prey from hiding- only to rapidly discover that everything in the bilges thinks it's the hunter. As a rat scurries along the sloped wall behind her, Catrina raises her battered pistol. She knows from past experience that the weapon doesn't pack enough force to be a meaningful threat to the hull of the ship, so she doesn't hesitate to aim quickly, and pull the trigger. "Look lively! They're all about!"

A dull explosion erupts from the barrel as the flint draws a spark into the powder.

Spoiler: Catrina, round 1
    Show
    Catrina Bagrid
    F CN Human Buccaneer 1, Level 1, Init 4, HP 11/11, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 6, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
    battered pistol (20x) 19x +5 (1d8, x4)
    Rapier +1 (1d6, 18-20, x2)
    Dagger +1/+5 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16
    Condition None

(1d20+5)[21] atk (vs touch AC)
    (1d20+5)[14] CC (25, x4)
    (1d8)[3] dmg
    (3d8)[12] crit bonus (if I ever crit, this is gonna get silly)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kana stares at the rat next to her, a prominent scowl plastered on her face. She looks from her knife to the rat then back to the knife again. Then the rat again. Ugly little things. Wont be chewing on my bones. A tremor of panic raced through the druid as she was confronted with the prospect of panic. As it does it leaves behind a simmering anger. Something started building inside her, a sort of pressure. At the same time a now all too familiar crispness takes to the air around her. Highly visible little sparks start dancing over her skin, moving to her free hand. "What the fu-" Her profanity gets drowned out over the thunderclap-like noise that gets released along with the discharge from her free hand.

What the f!ck was that?!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Rolled in the OOC thread, got a 10 to hit, 7 non-lethal damage

6/7 uses of the Storm Burst domain power remaining.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2016-07-03 at 02:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 1, Jarred's Status
    Show
    Jarred Bagrid
    Male Neutral Evil Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Sorcerer, Level 1, Init 2, HP 8/8, Speed 30 ft.
    AC 10, Touch 10, Flat-footed 10, CMD 14, Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +1, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Claws x2 +4 (1d4+4, 20/x2)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Condition None

With a sound akin to both a growl and reptilian hiss Jarred whips his hands first at the rat on the bulkhead and then the rat swimming towards him. In an instant they become red, scaled claws that pierce the bodies of the rats as he effortlessly cuts into them both. "Hah! It feels good to get the claws out again!" he says, laughing darkly as he speaks.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Free action to activate Draconic Bloodline Claws (1/6 rounds used today)

Full attack with both claws on one (or two if he kills the first) rats within reach, starting with the one on the wall (that lacks concealment)

Claw (1d20+4)[23] attack, (1d20+4)[17] (20/x2), (1d4+4)[5] slashing damage, +(1d4+4)[6] critical strike damage
    Claw (1d20+4)[22] attack, (1d20+4)[21] (20/x2), (1d4+4)[5] slashing damage, +(1d4+4)[5] critical strike damage

(1d100)[62] vs concealment (01-20 = a miss, 21-100 = hit) if necessary to hit the second rat

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

The first wave of rats die as quickly as they appear. No matter where they come from, the vermin are impaled, perforated, and eviscerated in equal measure as you hold back the tide. Hiss' strike sets the tone of the engagement, the comically small dagger piercing its intended target's skull and leaving it still. This is followed up by the cooperative efforts of Lodan and Petaba; the half-orc's positioning gives the young rogue enough of an advantage to stake one of the rats with a dagger of his own. Even the water does not help the creature out in front of the group, as Catrina's shot strikes the center of the rat's mass, leaving it to float belly-up in the grimy water at the base of the bilges. Jarred's transformation is even more dramatic, as he is able to effectively transform his hands into claws and turn the creatures into mincemeat.

But it's Kana's thunderclap that really seems to spook the rats. The noise all but erupts from her fingertips, piercing the air with a rippling shudder and making most of you wince with pain. Any louder, and you suspect there might have been some permanent damage to your eardrums. Still, there's no arguing with results; when all of you look over, you can see yet another of the starved predators floating in the water, its body scorched and unresponsive. Of the six assailants, only one is left standing.

Still, they come. Perhaps the rats are simply too hungry to pass up even this tough challenge at the prospect of a meal. The ones you've seen certainly appear emaciated enough that you suspect they've barely eaten since you left Port Peril. And no wonder, given their number and the overly cramped space of the bilges. Or perhaps it's because they feel trapped now, hidden in these corners of the ship with no prospect of escape, and feel that attacking is their best chance at survival. Either way, the rats do not hesitate to skitter, climb, or swim over the corpses of their kin to get at you. The remaining rat lashes out at Hiss, even as a second and third appear to try and attack Petaba and Thysh. Of those two, only one is successful, and the gnome comes away with a sizeable bite torn out her right arm. Once again, however, it's the druid who needs your attention, as another pair of rats emerge from a sodden hay bale and successfully drive her to the ground.

Spoiler: Round 1 OOC
    Show
    All of you but Zeno have taken their actions for Round 1. As he has not posted, I've passed Thysh's turn. Five of the rats are either unconscious or dead, with only one left standing (well, swimming) at 2 hp. As you can probably tell, I've decided to eschew the 'attrition' side of the encounter in favor of a brutal melee, since I think you've all had enough of fatigue and I think you'll be able to clear the rats in under an hour. Of course, that isn't to say there won't be casualties.

Speaking of which, I've made the rolls for the rats for Round 1. Two of them missed, but one of them hit Thysh for 2 damage and two of them hit Kana for a total of 9 damage, putting her to -1 and into the 'dying' state. Anyone conscious who beats a DC 10 Knowledge (Nature) check also knows that dire rats usually carry filth fever in their bites. I'm going to roll the saves and the onset of the diseases for both Thysh and Kana in the OOC.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-07-05 at 10:48 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh drops to the floor awkwardly, taking a few seconds to reestablish her balance, just in time to get bitten by a rat. Beside her, Kana slumps over. Despite the pain in her arm, Thysh cannot help but grin a bit: another opportunity to accrue debts has appeared. That said, it's safe to say that she'll probably need some assistance herself soon enough. She reaches over towards Kana, but quickly withdraws her hand when she sees the rats surrounding her fallen comrade. Looking behind herself, she quickly shouts out to Lodan:

Quick! Swap places with me! I need to heal our cook, but I need a better place to work from.

As she tries to speak, her mouth forms the deep, harsh tones of Aquan instead of the Common words that she had intended. She gestures at Kana to anyone watching, and makes what she hopes are magic-y motions with her hands.

Spoiler: Actions, But Not Yet
    Show
    Thysh will five-foot step to swap places with Lodan, if he agrees, then she'll Cure Light Wounds on Kana.
    Last edited by Sen isSaqqara; 2016-07-05 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

"Jarred! Back here!" Catrina calls out a request for help as another rat appears where the previous one died. Without having had a chance to reload, the lithe young woman brings her rapier forward. With life-or-death focus, she tries to keep the rat both at arms length, and not paying much attention to Jarred or Thysh.

Spoiler: Catrina, round 2
    Show
    Catrina Bagrid
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 6, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Condition Fighting defensively: -4 atk, +2 AC

(1d20-3)[-1] vs "AC" 10 to assist the next person in attacking the rat to Catrina's right. If I have to choose someone, I'll choose Jarred.

8. - Top - End - #188

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 2, Jarred's Status
    Show
    Jarred Bagrid
    Male Neutral Evil Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Sorcerer, Level 1, Init 2, HP 8/8, Speed 30 ft.
    AC 10, Touch 10, Flat-footed 10, CMD 14, Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +1, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Condition None

As Kana falls and his sister calls, Jarred looks over his shoulder and see the cook's assistant collapse. "Three favors - too much power in that to ignore..." he mutters as he barrels towards Kana, nearly stepping on Thysh in the process. "Heal her from back there!" he spits as he swipes at one rat on the bulkhead with one claw and easily lifts the fallen woman out of the water with the other, dragging her away from the rats that surprised her a moment earlier.

Show
    What I want is to 5-ft step to where Thysh is currently standing, lift Kana bodily out of harms way, and if allowed still attack the rat directly below Thysh on the map. If that is too many actions, Jarred will first attend to his thrice-bound debt and prevent Kana from either drowning or taking further attacks from the rats.

(If there are enough actions to still attack): Free action to sprout claws again (only if he can make an attack!)
    Free 5-ft step
    Move action to move Kana (unopposed grapple maybe?)(prioritize this)
    Standard action to attack Rat with Claw: (1d20+4)[18] attack, (1d20+4)[7] (20/x2), (1d4+4)[5] slashing damage, (1d4+4)[6] critical strike damage

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

The ratcatcher

"How the—" starts Lodan, before his voice is covered by a succession of loud blasts. All hell has broken loose in the cramped bilges. Lodan winces as his startled multiple times. He thinks he hears a small voice calling out to him but his ears are ringing too much. When he opens his eyes, whatever was moving in front of him is gone, Red is dragging the cook's mate (Kana, her name is Kana) away from huge rats at one end of the bilges. Brazenly, or actually, not so courageously, Lodan moves to the other side of the bilges, not wanting to be surrounded. He arrives next to Fane and face-to-face with another rat. "Guess we get rat soup tonight." Lodan makes eye contact with the big vicious-looking rat. "You're dinner, not me!" Lodan kicks muck into the rat's eyes.

Show
    Move next to Petaba. Dirty Trick on the northenmost rat: (1d20+1)[13] (I accounted for fatigue this time, Lodan gets +2 from Improved Dirty Trick). I'm going for blindness, but open to something else if SpaceLawyer prefers another debuff.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh dodges around Jarred as he maneuvers Kana to a more reasonable location. She reaches out to the fallen cook again, this time layering her hands across Kana's forehead. She blanks her mind, focusing on that odd connection to divinity that manifested in her during her years spent wandering. She feels a pathway open to something ancient and overpowering, and channels the energy into Kana's wounds, watching detachedly as they seal themselves.
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

As Thysh's healing magic courses through her, Kana wakes with a start, sputtering up dirty water and bits of spittle. She shakes off the tiny blue hand, half flinching as she does "-offa me!" Its at that point that it becomes clear that the Red-hair is holding her. You too. She accompanies the thought by scrabbling out of his arms. This was going to sh!t already for her. The blue pygmy would want something in return. Maybe the silver band would do. Anger flashed through her as she thought of giving up the metal band. Plus the Red-hair could hold this sh!t over her.

Taken alongside her panic, it was enough to cause her skin to alight with more sparks, and a droning sound that grew louder and louder. No. No not again. Not again- She just managed to direct her hand at the rat in front before another detonation roared out of her hand. Following that she retreated to the centre of the group. What the f!ck is wrong with me? The one positive outcome was that she could dole out some healing from her new position. I hate this ship.

Show

Used the Storm Burst feature, rolled OOC, rolled a 12 to hit, 4 non-lethal damage on the rat in front of Jarred. It takes -2 to hit on attack rolls for this round.

Taking a 5ft step back.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2016-07-05 at 03:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Scaled barbarian

Raising the knife, the lizardman peered at the rat on the end of it with a curious expression, as if considering whether to eat it now. However, a moment later, a loud boom echoed in the small room, drawing a hiss from the huge creature. Glaring around, it barely avoided a bite from one of the injured rats. Shaking off the rat with a splash, the scaled beast attacked again, lashing out with the small blade in its huge, clawed hand.

Spoiler: Rnd 2
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+5)[8], Dam - (1d4+4)[5], Concealment - (1d100)[27] < 21% misses. Attacking the healthy rat if still there, or whatever rat is left!
    EDIT: And a miss it is!

PS - I tend to track all my status here ... longer-term stuff goes on my mythweavers sheet.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 13/13
    AC: 12
    F +3 R +1 W +1
    Perception +6; Sense Motive +0
    Effects: Grog! -1 Con
    Last edited by Starbin; 2016-07-05 at 06:00 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Petaba

Petaba swings down at the deck again . . . and misses again. "Damn it! Die already, you filthy rats!" They were quickly getting overwhelmed by the horde of vermin.

Discord Tag #4097

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

The fray continues - almost miraculously - without any more bloodshed for at least a few more moments after Kana falls. The rest of you have managed to hold your own, and the rats find no more purchase in the Wormwood's bilges, even as they gradually surround you like some unspoken agreement of predators. Two of them leap out of the confines of the water at Hiss and Petaba, but neither is able to strike their would-be victims. Likewise, neither the half-orc or the nagaji lizard are successful at eradicating any more of the infestation. Catrina's rapier assault is not much better, the blade scraping the bottom of the ship's hull before it can do any damage to the creature towards the stern. Only Lodan manages to do anything effective in close proximity to the beast, kicking up some of the bilge water into his enemy's eyes, effectively blinding the rat.

It is Jarred's charge that proves the most eventful, if not the most fortunate. In his haste to reach the wounded druid, the sorcerer opens himself to a peripheral strike, which tears through his calf and thigh muscles and leaves a few bloody tendons exposed to the open air. Although he does manage to get Kana to safety - where she is swiftly healed by Thysh - the next wave of rat attacks leaves him all but unconscious on the floor of the small quarters, bleeding profusely. In almost immediate reply, a thunderclap strikes inside the bilges for a second time, nearly knocking the very same rat over and stopping it from finishing the job. The supercharged air lingers around Kana's fingertips. Between that and the gunshot, there is no doubt that any crew on the deck above has more than heard your fight.

Spoiler: Round 2 OOC
    Show
    Once again, I've made the appropriate rolls in the OOC thread. The rats managed to completely flub their rolls, missing Hiss, Petaba, and Catrina. The one blinded by Lodan also barely missed due to concealment. On the other hand, the one rat attacking Jarred managed to land a hit despite the -2 penalty, doing 3 damage and disabling him (he's not unconscious). DarkOne, I need you to roll another Fortitude save (DC 12) versus the filth fever disease. Otherwise, everyone should be good to go.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

The ratcatcher

Dodging away from the swollen rodent, Lodan shouts to Fane, "how the—" being interrupted, again, by yet another loud blast. Lodan grits his teeth. Looking back, Lodan sees rats crowding at the other end of the bilges. "Sh!t!"

Muck is washing away from the rat in front of Lodan. It gives Lodan a menacing look, barring its teeth. "You shut up!" yells Lodan to the mostly silent rat, as he kicks more muck towards it. The rat answers with an annoyed squick. Lodan uses the diversion to put as much distance (and bodies of would-be allies) as possible between himself and the swarm at the other end of the bilges.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Standard action: try to blind the nearest rat again. Dirty trick, (1d20+1)[14].
    Move action: if the maneuver succeeds (since I rolled better than last round, I think it should), circle around the rat to get into flanking position respective to Petaba.

Space Lawyer, you get a flanking bonus this round, don't you waste it : P (Well, if you do waste it, Lodan gets Sneak Attack next round.)
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-07-06 at 03:58 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Petaba

If the explosive sounds and acrid smells coming from that newfangled weapon of the red-haired woman's weren't bad enough, it looked like the tanned cook's mate was setting off miniature thunderstorms inside the hold! This fight needed to end fast before Petaba was permanently deafened.

When Tanner kicks more mud on top of the rat, Petaba takes time to line up his strike on the wriggling beast. "This has gone on long enough!" Arcane power flows through the blade, and the half-orc swings with all his might. The combination of careful planning and brute strength proves to finally be enough to bring down a single rat, as Petaba cuts through the sinewy neck and sends the chittering head spinning off. It hits the wall with a satisfying thunk.

Spoiler: Condition
    Show
    Petaba Fane
    M CN Half-orc Arcane Duelist , Level 1, Init 3, HP 10/10, Speed 30'
    AC 14, Touch 11, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 5, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Includes Arcane Strike Falchion +2 (2d4+4, 18-20 x2)
    Dagger (2) +2 (1d4+4, 19-20 x2)
    Nonlethal, disarm, trip, reach Whip +2 (1d3, x2)
    Studded Leather Armor (+3 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 16
    Condition None
    Last edited by Space Lawyer; 2016-07-06 at 09:04 AM.

Discord Tag #4097

17. - Top - End - #197

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 3, Jarred's Status
    Show
    Jarred Bagrid
    Male Neutral Evil Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Sorcerer, Level 1, Init 2, HP 0/8, Speed 30 ft.
    Condition Disabled

Jarred flinches at the biting rats, shaking his head as if to clear it when he is bitten. "I am about to be done here unless someone can help me out! Either kill the rest of these vermin or someone help me with this bite wound so I can do it!" he grunts as he eyes the remaining rats near him.

Show
    Actions details in OoC thread.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Jarred goes barreling through the bilges- not only not dealing with the rat in front of Catrina, but leaving himself open to another swipe from the vermin's jaws! Damnit, Jarred! she wonders angrily. The only saving grace is that his movement gives her a moment of distraction to reload her pistol. As she plunges the barrel, she hopes the rat isn't able to focus on both of them at once...

Returning to her defensive posture, she makes a feeble effort to attack the rat, still focusing on self-preservation over outright death-dealing.

Spoiler: Catrina, round 3
    Show
    Catrina Bagrid
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 6, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Condition Fighting defensively: -4 atk, +2 AC

Might as well attack...

(1d20-3)[6] atk
    (1d20-3)[16] CC (15+, x2)
    (1d6)[4] dmg
    (1d6)[1] crit bonus

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh turns to the sound of Jarred's request. Disregarding formality, Thysh punches her hands at the nearest available surface: his knees. She more or less just keeps the existing stream of divine magic flowing.

Spoiler: Healing Rolls
    Show
    Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+1)[2]
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Scaled barbarian

The continuous booming was very distracting to the lizard. It hissed lowly every time the sound echoed through the bilges. Attacking again, the lizardman tried to kill another rat swimming in the water.

Spoiler: Rnd 3
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+5)[11], Dam - (1d4+4)[6], Concealment - (1d100)[78] < 21% misses. Attacking the healthy rat if still there, or whatever rat is left!

Show
    F +3 R +1 W +1
    Last edited by Starbin; 2016-07-06 at 03:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

As the sparks keep dancing across her skin, Kana's heartbeat slows down. Not but much but it's something. It's not hurting me. She scowls as she hears the Red-hair's words and sees Thysh thump him in the knee. Wonder if he thinks we're square now... The thoughts enough to make her angry. As the anger builds, the sparks move to her free hand, taking most of her earlier panic away with them. As the electricity coalesces into one area the only thought Kana has is that its all in one place for squashing. She claps both of her hands together in an effort stamp out the stuff in her left palm. Instead the smack creates another boom, making sure the stuff travels away from her and at another rat. Dammit.

Still, whatever happened did the trick. For now it doesn't appear as though sparks are dancing across her skin.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

As the battle wears on, fortune finally seems to favour all of you unequivocally. Although Catrina's shot misses for a second time, the rest of you manage to pin down your enemies and make short work of them. Lodan and Petaba's cornering of the blinded rat ensures its swift demise, even as Hiss takes out the next of th encroaching forms in the water, leaving the dark surface slick with floating bits of gore. Between that, the heat, and the brine, the stench down here has become completely unbearable.

The scenario is 'improved' when Thysh turns around and heals Jarred, bringing the red sorcerer back to a modicum of fighting strength. His metamorphosis and subsequent claw strikes make short work of the two rats towards the aft of the ship, leaving but one of the vermin still unconscious. Turning to flee what has proven to be a much tougher meal than expected, it does not make it more than a foot before being slammed with another of Kana's storm bolts. The rat collapses on the bottom of the ship, motionless.

When all is said and done, the Wormwood is quiet. Although you can feel the motion of the waves through the ship's outer hull, this carnage is probably the quietest it's been since the seven of you were press-ganged.

Spoiler: Round 3 OOC
    Show
    Combat is over, hooray! If any of you want to take a stab at the fleeing rat, be my guest, but since I'm using the 'milestones' xp counter and they don't have any loot, I really don't see the point in it. Still, if you're into more bloodshed, I'm not about to stop any of you.

Now, onto the loot! We have a suit of leather armor, three heavy maces, and 12 sp. In addition, a DC 15 Perception check turns up the following in the dark waters (one item per successful check): a buckler, a masterwork handaxe, two vials of holy water, a tanglefoot bag, two tindertwigs, and 42 gp.

Feel free to divide it up as you wish, but I want to see a list of what is going where, and see that reflected on your character sheets (I'm going to make a new page for loot distribution akin to the one put up for my late Hell's Rebels game.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

23. - Top - End - #203

NecromancerGuy

As the din of battle fades a new sound can be heard, not entirely unfamiliar but neither is it comforting. Jarred's laughter is equal parts genuine and disturbing. He is surrounded by gore with bits of rat flesh on his now entirely human hands. The deep belly laughs last for several moments before he exclaims, "Now that makes me feel better! The blast of pistol and storm magic and the cries of violent struggle for survival - there's nothing else quite like it! Well fought everyone! Hahahahah!"

The redhead turns to his companions and continues, "Now that we have fought side by side you all may know some of my name - call me Jarred. Catrina has seen a portion of my dragon before, and I have heard the roar of her gun. However, today all of you join an elite company: you have seen both gun and claw and still live! Now, to the spoils of war!"

The unusually positive mood of the big man does nothing to diminish his disturbing joy with the carnage around him. He first wipes off the blood from his hands (leaving long, gruesome trails of crimson on the wooden hull as he absently doodles) and then begins to look about the space casually. Ignoring weapons and armor he finds a small pouch with some silver coins inside before shrugging and searching below the waterline...

Show
    Perception (1d20+3)[16] vs DC 15
    Jarred found the MW handaxe as rolled in the OoC thread.

When he finds an excellently made handaxe in the water Jarred looks at it with a thoughtful expression. "Would anyone care to trade this for a fair portion of coin? Gold preferably, though silver sparkles in the moonlight too..."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kana looked down at her hands as the last of the rats scurried away and the Red-hair started talking. Little bolts forked there way in between her fingers and her face turned from pensive to one of angry scorn. Don't care for his name. Don't care for any of their names. She still had the silver band and weapons to trade to the Quatermaster for her armour, so currency wasn't an issue. Trinkets anyway. Maybe needed, but trinkets nonetheless. Besides, the big Blackscale seemed more inclined to a chopping implement like that.

As she looks up, her eyes pick out a sticky-looking sack amid the slosh of the bilges. Tanglevine? I'll look later. She gingerly hoists the bag over her shoulder before looking at the remains of the rat wounds on her forearm and thigh.A grim thought crosses her mind Might go bad in a few days. Filth fever. She cast a quick sideways glance at the gnome and Red-hair before looking back down at her free hand again. She balls it up into a fist before looking. Who knows.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Vae rattīs

"How the—" a boom interrupts Lodan for the third time, making his ear ring again. "Gods, can you stop with that? Right? How the—" Lodan is this time interrupted by Red's gloating. Great; another fight loving freak; at least those don't live long. Spoils of war? Rotten pieces of wood and rotting weapons covered in giant rat giant filth. Seriously. Was that war? Are these spoils?

Sensing a lull in the conversation, Lodan tries a last time. "How the hell did they get so big? We've been cleaning those bilges for days?! Last time I was here I saw just a couple regular sized ones, not counting Bansion (who's anyway bigger, meaner and filthier than these). I..." Lodan voices trails off as he gives up that last try at reason. It seems nobody's listening to him. Everyone is just following Red—bar that—Jarred's example and ransacking whatever's not nailed down and on fire. The remaining giant rats are hiding in the corners, running around trying to find a way out of the bilges or having a feast on their vanquished kin. This ship is madness, best roll with it.

Lodan turns on himself and sees a piece of leather stuck between two barrels. Dragging on it reveals a leather shirt, muck (let's pretend it's only muck) covered and half-gnawed by rats. One of them is still munching one of the shirt's ends, pulling on it as best as it can. "Get lost! My filthy shirt! Mine!" The rat gives in without a fight after a swift kick from Lodan. He looks at his own shirt, covered with blood from repeated whippings, then back at the gnawed leather shirt. Well, if it can make stabbing Lodan during the night just a wee more difficult. Lodan cleans up the leather shirt as best as he can, before putting it on and moving towards the ladder. He hides Kana's blade under the leather.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Perception, (1d20-1)[0]. Lodan claims the leather armor.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-07-07 at 06:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina neatly skewers the final rat- it didn't look dead enough to her. With a shrug for the confused or accusatory glares, she comments, "We were sent to clear it out- not spook the little bastards." Content in the relative stillness that the job is done, and none-too-eager to spend any more time in the bilges than is absolutely necessary, Catrina climbs back to the ladder. Looking at her brother, she offers an amused expression followed quickly by a grimace. "Not that you're wrong, but let's get the hell out of here. Back on the next deck up, she cleans her blade and begins the somewhat arduous process of trying to prevent permanent damage to her meager belongings.

At least my shirt was kept mostly out of the muck... she groans inwardly as she removes her boots- the soft leather was probably ruined despite its waterproofing. Nothing will help much when you've got that much... stuff inside the shoe. She groans outwardly as she sees the slop, which she unceremoniously dumps out onto the floor. It'll drain out the scuppers, anyway...

As the rest climb out, Catrina can't help but steal appraising glances at most of her press-gang-mates. Frowns of approval and appreciation accompany some of the looks, but she keeps her thoughts to herself.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Petaba

Petaba stands tensely with sword ready to swing, huffing in the humid, fetid air. It soon seems there are no more rats though, or at least none willing to venture out into the carnage that had been made of their brethren.

The red-haired dragon man starts yelling and boasting, and seems to have left bloody trails across the walls. Absolute psychopath, that one. When the man (Jarred, apparently) find an axe, Petaba just shakes his head. Now the madman has an axe. What a classic scenario.

He has no adequate reply for Tanner either, only a grunt and a shrug. He begins poking into the muck with sword, reasoning that putting one's hand into the filth was a sure way to get bit. Nothing there though - looks like the area had already been picked clean. It made sense, with everyone down here everyday hunting the smaller rats. He goes over the barrels Tanner is tangling with, looking over his back at Jarred as he does. There was no way to be sure that man's bloodlust was sated. Petaba scoots one of the barrels over, only to uncover what looks to be a hole in the decking. Too small for the big rats to crawl through, so here it goes. With a deep breath and a quick motion, Petaba sticks his hand in the flooded hole. His hand closes on a small bag. He grips it, to be rewarded by the familiar feel of heavy coins. He drops the bag in his pocket. He could count it out later.

Discord Tag #4097

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

The man in rat-gnawed leather

Lodan gets out of the bilges not long after Catrina. She gives him an odd look. "So, you're kin to him? Fortunately he didn't burn the whole ship down. We can keep going on with our routine. Get up, get absurd work done, get whipped, get rat-piss to drink. Looking forward to it. Got bitten by those beasts?"

From each person who comes up, Lodan asks the same question. "Got bitten? I got something for that. Those buggers give you the fever." If anyone accepts his proposal, Lodan removes a parcel from his boot, takes a few herbs out of it, asks the patient to chew on them for a couple minute then spit them out again. Lodan uses the chewed up herbs to make a poultice he applies on byte wounds. After waiting a few minutes more, he removes the poultice and sews up any wound that looks too deep.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    If Thysh accepts healing, here's the roll for Treat Disease. Heal, (1d20+6)[19] (taking into account a +2 for using Healer's kit).

It takes 10 minutes per patient, and since we're not in the bilges anymore, we might get into trouble for wasting time, but Lodan doesn't care about that.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-07-07 at 11:19 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina's first response is a noncommittal shrug. Guess he's gone and let the cat out of the bag. Oh well. She waves her hands in front of herself by way of answer to his next question. "No, I try to keep my fleshy parts well away from nasty vermin. Matter of principle, you know..." She grimaces a bit as he pulls the satchel from his boot. No way that's healthy...

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Scaled barbarian

With the battle over, the lizard tossed the dead body from the blade it held. After looking around for a few moments, it began to trudge towards the ladder, stopping when it kicked something. Reaching down, it pulled forth an enormous metal club. Its mouth opened into what could only be described as a grin as it moved to the ladder to head back up. It seemed to possess little interest in the ranting of the two red-haired humans, or the searching around in the sh!t that the others seemed to be doing.

It had a club!

Show
    Ready to move on ... just like to claim a mace.

Show
    F +3 R +1 W +1