New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt3

Merrick

"Save your spells as long as you can, my friends," Merrick says as he lays a healing hand on Lan.

"The battles will not get any easier."

Spoiler: Drop in the bucket
    Show
    (1d8+8)[10] for you. Five rounds and I can do it again.
    CLW wand?
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Still hurting, Lan looked around the room, searching for signs of any invisible foes, before he slipped to the exit, taking advantage of the silence spell. He thought to Tal, pointing to the door for a scouting report. st

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yay! But no rest for the wicked ...

Status
    HPs: 36/69; AC: 24
    F +11, R +14, W +9
    Spells: sniper shot, remove scent
    Effects: Energy Resistance 20 (Cold / Acid); Darkvision (20min); see invisible (10min); silence (8 min); conviction (+3 [morale], 80 min); sickened (-2 all rolls, 2 rnds)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2016-10-30 at 01:17 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

With the battle over, I finally allow myself to double over in pain, applying pressure with a hand to the stabbing cramps afflicting my midriff! It only lasts a moment though, as I take out my wand of Lesser Vigor and apply a restorative charge to myself. I look around at my companions with a questioning look: Who else wants some?

Spoiler
    Show

Temporary hitpoints from last turn mean the SR pool does no additional damage once the THPs wear off.
    Mirriana was down to 26/68 and therefore needs 42pts of healing.

Each charge of the wand heals 11 and takes 66 seconds. I believe Tal has a healing aura that could help?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Taliesn moves quickly among the others. Shifting as much of his essentia as he can into his lifebond vestment, he adds his healing touch to Merrick's.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone heal 11 hp!

No lesser vigor needed here. Just give me a minute or two to catch my breath.

As he does so, he reaches out with his special senses to search the areas within range.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My memory of the map is vague – it's been many more days for me than it has for Taliesn – but I'm basically detecting evil and life throughout the areas beyond this room where we went before, as well as looking for any "blips" that are off that map and may indicate hidden areas.

To the extent it applies: Spot - (1d20+12)[26]
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

With the quick ministrations of his companions, Lan's pain all but disappeared, along with the nausea. Still, he was concerned about what lay ahead, thinking to the group, If the priest didn't hear the battle, we might still be able to get the jump on him. Unless everything in this jungle heard that mental scream ...?. He looked questioningly at Tal.

Show
    Lan is good to go with the healing from Merrick, Zarina, the lessor vigor and Tal - thanks!

Status
    HPs: 68/69; AC: 24
    F +11, R +14, W +9
    Effects: Energy Resistance 20 (Cold / Acid); Darkvision (18 min); see invisible (8 min); silence (6 min); conviction (+3 [morale], 78 min)

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    If the priest didn't hear the battle, we might still be able to get the jump on him. Unless everything in this jungle heard that mental scream ...?. He looked questioningly at Tal.
    Depends, Taliesn replies. Telepathy's not like talking. You can choose who does and doesn't hear you. Not even another telepath can listen in – that's why we could freely communicate in this battle, even though the demon was telepathic.

If the priest was within range AND the demon wanted to warn him, then he knows. But if the priest is that close by, I should be able to sense him: anything that would block my abilities should block the demon's too.

I am focussing to see what I can find.
    Custom Class

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Healing energy flows from the incarnate bonds around the shifter, Zarina's healing belt and the willow wand of lesser vigour and although it take maybe 4 minutes in total soon everyone is healed from the spells that demon had inflicted upon them. Looking at the next door Zarina once more flexes her gauntlet, the withered looking wand within nearly drained of power gifting her with the strength of a large bull once more. For Tal casting his mind, now taht the battle is over he mentally sweeps his mind out towrads the next room. Although there are vast areas blcoked by heavy rocks and stone he can detect a powerful tainted human mind on the far side in the shrine with moderate intelligence. You recognise the flavour the mind as Bozal from your last meeting although he seems to be alone . reaching out with his incarnum searching for evil he can detect near nothing, the room beyond engulfed by the overwhelming pulsing evil of the apostolic scrolls that drown out any other aura in the next room.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

8. - Top - End - #278

Merrick

So, speed, invisibility, enlargement, who would like which? I promise no deadly mists, but I may stick the floor or summon tentacles to control the field. Especially if he hedges us out again.

Merrick makes ready his components and wands.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

I can "smell" Bozal. He seems to be alone, at least among the living. There could be undead with him that I'm not able to sense: they have no intelligence, and the evil of the scroll drowns out any lesser auras.

Best prepare. I'd like to be large again,
    he communicates to Merrick. Telekinetically reaching into his saddle bag, he readies his potion of protection from evil.

Perhaps if Lan can go in invisibly and get close enough to silence the priest? he suggests.
    Custom Class

10. - Top - End - #280

Merrick

Merrick gives a charge of enlarge to Tal, then ponders the question about invisibility.

Undead are notoriously immune to illusions such as invisibility, so be aware Lan. Being undead are your favoured quarry, I expect you know this already. And since he has the taint of the tomb, he will doubtlessly cast negative energies freely. Have we any provisions against that?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan stared at the wizard for a moment, one eyebrow raised. Thinking back at the group, he responded Undead can't see invisible creatures without help anymore than you can. I suggest the one that can blink take my arrow and the invisibility spell and scout around. We can look for anything between here and there.

Show
    Correcting the wiz ... and I'd hope we only spent two minutes with the spells and such ...

Status
    F +11, R +14, W +9
    Effects: Energy Resistance 20 (Cold / Acid); Darkvision (18 min); see invisible (8 min); silence (6 min); conviction (+3 [morale], 78 min)

12. - Top - End - #282

Merrick

A puzzled look crosses the wizard's face.

That explains why I was laughed out of the guild when I gave my keynote address on phantasms. Well colour me embarrassed.

He awaits final word on the invisibility as he expends a charge from his enlarge wand.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

I nod at Lan and Tal.

Ok Tal, take the silence and the invisibility and have a look around. Tell us what you see, block off his retreat, and if you need back up let us know and I'll be through that door as fast as possible.

In preparation I cast Bless and then Divine Favour.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-11-01 at 04:19 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Goat

The goliath grips his great club tightly as he nods to the halfling and he think-says, "Best of luck." The barbarian cannot help but scratch his head when he uses this form of communication, as it always makes his scalp tingle.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #285

Merrick

Not sure about his undead estimations any longer, Merrick is nonetheless ready to help with a ready spell.

He casts invisibility on Taliesn.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Taliesn nods to the others as he fades from view. Knowing they can no longer see when he blinks, he broadcasts, Here I go.

*BLINK*
    Custom Class

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

At the goliath's nod, Lan frowned, shrugging his shoulders. Uh, you too...

Show
    Correcting the barbarian, who still confuses people with three letters in their name ...

Status
    F +11, R +14, W +9
    Effects: Energy Resistance 20 (Cold / Acid); Darkvision (16 min); see invisible (6 min); silence (4 min); conviction (+3 [morale], 76 min)

18. - Top - End - #288

Merrick

After Taliesn, Merrick takes up his enlarge person wand again.

Who's needing embiggening? Goat? Mirriana? Z?

He was reluctant to ask Lan, lest he inadvertently offend him.

I remember the gnome from that volcano city... what a grouch.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Goattracker

The goliath looms over the wizard like a giant, "Yes."

The barbarian then looks over and notices Lan has not left yet, "What are you waiting for? Do you wish to become big? Friend Wiz, cast the spell on Friend Lan too!" Just as he finishes the sentence, the shapeshifter disappears. "You switched places with Friend Tal! Good. Now we can make you into a little giant!"

Spoiler: Sorry
    Show
    My bad, I meant Tal. Sorry
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-11-01 at 06:46 PM.
    DMing:

20. - Top - End - #290

Merrick

As Tal announces his departure, Merrick makes Goattracker plus-sized.

As soon as the magical silence vanishes, he casts resist energy upon himself.

Spoiler: Going for a hat trick
    Show
    Resist fire 20

Wait, what of the magical fear those Kyuss Spawn emit?
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-11-01 at 06:54 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post

The barbarian then looks over and notices Lan has not left yet, "What are you waiting for? Do you wish to become big? Friend Wiz, cast the spell on Friend Lan too!" Just as he finishes the sentence, the shapeshifter disappears. "You switched places with Friend Tal! Good. Now we can make you into a little giant!"
    Lan stared at the goliath, then gave a look that said "Not if you value your life" to the wizard. Not a chance ... it's bad enough to have two of your galumphing about.

Show
    No worries!
    Status
    F +11, R +14, W +9
    Effects: Energy Resistance 20 (Cold / Acid); Darkvision (16 min); see invisible (6 min); silence (4 min); conviction (+3 [morale], 76 min)

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

As the heroes pause with spells flowing from the various casters and wounds being patched up by healing magic from the wand and the shifter's incarnum as the shapeshifter's natural healing allows wounds to meld closed once more. Talsien vanishes as the invisibility flows over over him and then with a faint pop of displaced air he blinks into the dark temple on the other side of the door. The Temple has not changed from last time... in the middle of the room against the east the Apostolic scrolls lie oen still surrounded by the glowing green field and the beam of green light like a bar of sinister light flowing at head height across the room and down the narrow corridor in the T-shape towards the terrifying Kyuss decorated door and whatever horror lies on the other side.

Bozal, looking as unkempt and ragged as last time kneels before the scrolls communing with the apostle of Kyuss being incubated Surrounding him each within a few feet of the cleric like well trained undead guard dogs are a quartet of terrifying looking undead warriors. Each one carrying a different and odd weapon - from weird three bladed thrombashes to a long whip like spinning sword all of the 4 undead warriors carry strange gladatorial weapons.
    Spoiler: Know (Religion) DC15
    Show

They are undead wight warriors
    Spoiler: DC21
    Show

They can energy drain and have normal undead traits.

The cleric seems not to notice as the shifter lands in the corner by the door. The bodies of the undead slain a few days ago still littering the floor that is stained a deep red from the sheer amount of blood spilled by strange bloodhulk zombies that you fought. Bozal himself is shrouded in magic, clearly some sort of protective spells surrounding him with a dark shadow twisting the air wound him and the mace beside him glittering with dark power. Similar to last time his claws and the hooves on his feet and skin are also barbed slightly like a devil that may have been somewhere in his ancestry.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Standing there in perfect, invisible silence, Taliesn relays his report to the others. The cleric is here, and he's not alone. They do not seem to have detected me yet. He relays a description of the four undead warriors and their strange weaponry. The cleric has some sort of spells already active, I don't know what. I'm going to test whether they include the antilife shell he used last time Shall I test whether they include the antilife shell he used last time?

Without moving a muscle, Taliesn attempts to *blink* again, this time aiming for a spot just 10' to the far side of the cleric.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My assumption, from reading the dimension door description, is that if I cannot land where I aimed, I will be shunted to the nearest available spot.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-11-04 at 06:47 PM.
    Custom Class

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Goat

The cleric starts to foam at the mouth as he calls upon the rage of a thousand goliath barbarians. With one big kick, Goat smashes the door open!

Spoiler
    Show
    Rage!

Strength Check: [roll]1d20+7/roll]
    DMing:

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

The door flies open silently but obviously as a massive goliath hefting a club appears in the doorway! The rest of the heroes visible behind the raging barbarian. Bozal looks at the scrolls and the wights, a summary "Kill them! Kill them all! They cannot disrupt the ritual" although none of the heroes can hear the words but the wights hefting their collection of weapons is an obvious sign of hostility! Even as the strange green light of the weird apostolic scroll magic emanates towards you the fight begins in earnest!

Spoiler: Init
    Show

Mirriana, Lan, Goat
    EVIL!!!!
    Talsien, Zarina and Merrick

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Goat

The mighty Goliath roars in furious anger, "GOAT DESTROY! GOAT SMASH!" The barbarian leaps into the fray, charging the nearest enemy. He brings the full might of Skullfinder down upon them with the ferocity of a thousand enraged mother bears protecting their cubs from gnomish hunters!

Spoiler
    Show
    CHARGE!

Power attack for 2!

(1d20+16)[20]
    (3d8+14)[27]
    DMing:

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

From outside the range of the Silence spell I cast Spiritual Weapon at Bozal, and I remain at least 20ft from Tal as I move up in order to maintain my ability to cast spells without hindrance.

Spoiler
    Show

Spiritual Weapon Longsword (1d20+11)[30] (Confirm 17)
    Damage: (1d8+2)[9] (Damage if confirmed 18)

Duration 8 more turns

Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-11-12 at 03:03 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

With his companions takin the lead, Lan rushed forward as close to 20' as possible, using his momentum to hurl the the trident.

Show
    Attack - (1d20+13)[25], Dam - (6d6+7)[24]

Status
    F +11, R +14, W +9
    Effects: Energy Resistance 20 (Cold / Acid); Darkvision (16 min); see invisible (6 min); silence (4 min); conviction (+3 saves [morale], 76 min); Imp skirmish (+5d6 dam, +4AC)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2016-11-12 at 04:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

The massive goliath leaps soundlessly forwards reaching one of the wights and slamming the massive club into it. The beast rocking back on its feet as the blow shatters withered and undead bones and flesh and sinew. Beyond the wight a glimmering longsword appears spinning in the air and chopping at Bozal drawing blood as the tiefling grunts angrily. Seconds later he roars in agony as the trident rips through his side Lan rushing silently into the room and throwing from behind the safety of a massive goliath! Boxal rises to his feet rapidly, drawing a large mace topped with what appears to be skull of some sort. As he rises he backs 5ft up away from the wight and goliath, muttering to his god he expands massively body swelling with muscle and shimmernig dark righteous might. Seconds later the ceiling of the room begins to darken as more unholy rain pours from the ceiling, healing the damaged wight and burning the invisible Talsie, Lan and Goat with dark and evil rain.

THe 4 wights leap forward silently. Three moving to engage the goliath, one using the cover of its colleagues to approach Lan seeking to skewer the halfling in the driving black rain with a long wight blade.

Spoiler: EVIL!
    Show

Bozal
    Move: draw weapon
    Free: 5ft away
    Std: Cast righteous might!!
    Swift (with Divine quicken): Cast unholy storm

- All in the room take (2d6)[8] if they are good! Will remain for a while

Wights
    3 vs Goat
    spiked trikal (1d20+8)[22] dam (1d10+6)[15] + 1 negative level DC18 Fort to resist
    2 handed blade (1d20+8)[20] dam (2d6+6)[13] + 1 negative level DC18 Fort to resist
    strange over elaborate knife (1d20+8)[22] dam (1d6+4)[7] + 1 negative level DC18 Fort to resist

vs Lan
    long hooked blade (1d20+8)[20] dam (1d10+6)[8] + 1 negative level DC18 Fort to resist

Go go Merick, Zarina and Talsien

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Silently and invisibly, Taliesn slips around the other combatants and through the rain. I see why Lan likes this so much. Coming behind Bozal, he leaps.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Youknowwhat
    Claw - (1d20+15)[23], Damage - (2d6+9)[15]
    Claw - (1d20+15)[35], Damage - (2d6+9)[17] confirmation roll: 31, additional damage: 20
    Claw - (1d20+15)[26], Damage - (2d6+9)[12]
    Claw - (1d20+15)[35], Damage - (2d6+9)[13] confirmation roll: 34, additional damage: 19

Curse the DR/good from unrighteous might!

Swift action to then switch two essentia into my astral vambraces.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-11-12 at 05:39 PM.
    Custom Class