New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt3

Zarina

As the others rush into the room Zarina pauses for a brief respite. Blood and burned welts covering a fair portion of her body as she seems tired. She follows the rest in keeping behind Goat and Mirriana who are now semi-healed after the ministrations of the wand and their own divine power. She touches her thin golden belt, the jeweled clasp glowing dull and lifeless as the magic is drained of power for the day. A few of the burns fading slightly as she does so. "Come then," she mutters as she hefts the sword once more. "Let us see if we can finish this once and for all."

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Last charge of healing belt (2d8)[6]

Hps 20/54 + above healing
    Saves +8/7/6 +2 VS EVIL +3
    AC 27 ff 27 T 12 +2 vs EVIL

Dragonskin (red) +3 NA, fire 10; 55 mins
    Bless (+1 hit, +1 morale vs fear) 5 mins
    Conviction (+3 saves) 5 mins
    Protec from Evil +2 deflect/Saves vs Evil 8 mins
    Shield 12 mins
    B.Strength 2 mins

-----

Looking about the room the party speed in, bodies supernaturally quickened as Lan scampers on the ceiling and rest race in, looking around but aside from the curtained off section to the south and the door opposite your one there is no movement or things of interest!

Before he joins them Merrick has a quick glance around Bozal's bedroom - but aside from the massively ornate and very disturbing looking chest the room has only mundane things that a priest would need. The chest is highly ornate although the depictions on the metal plates of mortals being horrifically tortured and killed by worms and undead is very, very disturbing!
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Merrick

Merrick ponders the chest, but decides it can wait for now.

Spoiler: K: Religion
    Show
    In case the images are in any way relevant
    (1d20+3)[13]

He readies his toothed tentacle wand and mentally gathers his remaining spells.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Not waiting to be asked, Taliesn blinks to a point 5' beyond the other side of the wooden door. I will check for signs of passage here, so we need not risk a trapped door if not necessary. Assuming there is sufficient lighting, he checks for any signs of recent passage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tracking: (1d20+9)[22], add +2 on account of the favored enemy zombie.

Edit: Yes! Lan may be our best tracker, but he is not our only tracker.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-06-30 at 12:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

Following along with the rush I channel the last dregs of my magic into healing.

Spoiler
    Show

Sanctuary -> CLW (1d8+5)[11]

Priority is Taliesn, Goattracker, then lowest health otherwise.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-07-03 at 03:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

As everyone barrels into the room Talsien blinks out beyond the door, there is a wet splash as his left leg splashes down the toilet, the rest of him poised above it. The small room is little bigger than a cupboard with a carved stone throne that drops into a wet sewer pipe that smells. The only other thing in the toilet are some questionable towels and a bucket of clean water. There are no tracks save scuffs that suggest people come in and out as expected.

In the main room the rest stand looking around, Lan's sharp eyes noticing that there is more of the room hidden behind the curtain and a strong bitter chemical smell.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Peering in the room Lan caught sight of the curtain, and the odd line it made ... as if something lay beyond it. Mentally he sent to the shifter and the others, Hidden area here ... smells odd, like alchemical stuff ...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Looking and listening Listen - (1d20+13)[21], Spot - (1d20+13)[23] +4 to each vs undead

Status
    HPs: 8/56; AC: 22
    F +11, R +17, W +8
    Spells: living prints; embrace the wild
    Spell-like abilities: Shield Other; Sanctuary
    Effects: living prints (4hrs); mass conviction (+3 saves [morale] / 3min); bless (+1 Att/ save vs fear [morale], 3min); embrace the wild (+3 Spot/Listen; low-light vision/ blind sense 30' / 39 min); Darkvision 60' (59min); spider climb (49 min?), Invisibility (29 min)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2016-07-04 at 02:05 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Talsien blinks out beyond the door, there is a wet splash as his left leg splashes down the toilet, the rest of him poised above it.
    Very funny, fate. Hah, hah.

They did not come through the door,
    he sends back to the others (along with Lan's message). Don't ask how I know, please.

He shakes his leg off and blinks back to the others.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-07-04 at 02:35 PM.
    Custom Class

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"Ok, then what's behind the curtain?" I ask, as I activate the last charge on my healing belt.

Spoiler
    Show

(2d8)[9]

9. - Top - End - #69

Merrick

Wand still at the ready, Merrick casts silent portal on the curtain to diminish the rustling it will make if pulled aside.

Muddy

Thus the portal silenced, Muddy pulls the curtain aside.

Then he wonders where everyone went.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-06 at 04:42 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

The curtain is silently pulled aside, Merrick's cantrip leaving it moving silently without even a rustle. The space beyond is maybe 10ft deep, more bare tiles and empty save for a fabulously ornate urn some 7ft tall and 6ft in diameter in at its widest. The back wall is a huge and complicated mosaic of thousands of tiny worm tongued skulls of Kyuss. They merge to form a single massive mosaic skull in the centre of the room that flashes with a massively powerful symbolic blast of green chattering light as the spectral skull erupts from the wall, nercomantic teeth savage the heroes and heroines standing in the room!

Spoiler: Symbol of Weakness!
    Show

Will DC 20 or (3d6)[12] Str damage!

Even as the symbol fades, glowing less brightly green on the wall the urn vibrates and shakes, ooze crackling with acid and a stench of alchemical tang as a the oozing pile of alchemical ooze rises upwards in a globular shape, bright green cracks shimmering on the creature as it surges upwards! The ooze-demon Zarina points at squeaking n worry - "Its an Akilith! A powerful demon!"..

Spoiler: Init
    Show

Mirriana
    Lan
    Merrick
    DEMON
    Everyon else

11. - Top - End - #71

Merrick

"I am growing to hate Kyuss," Merrick says mildly.

Spoiler: Will, Knowledge: the Plane
    Show
    (1d20+12)[21] Will
    (1d20+10)[13] What does Merrick know about an Akilith? For example, will my protection from evil hedge it?

12. - Top - End - #72

Merrick, Who Forgot to Do Anything

Toothed tentacle wand at the ready, Merrick lets fly the teeth.

Spoiler: Toothy
    Show
    (1d20+6)[17] to hit
    (1d20+6)[14] to hit
    (1d20+6)[13] to hit
    (2d6)[9] damage
    (2d6)[8] damage
    (2d6)[8] damage

Meanwhile, Muddy hurriedly pulls the curtain back.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-06 at 06:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

As the wave of magic washed over him, Lan blinked in surprise, as the ceiling suddenly fell away from him. With a soft this and grunt, the invisible halfling landed somewhere in the room. He thought to his companions, I'm down, center floor. Can't move my arms. Grab me and let's get the hell out of here!

Show
    Time to fly!

Status
    F +11, R +17, W +8
    Spell-like abilities: Shield Other; Sanctuary
    Effects: living prints (4hrs); mass conviction (+3 saves [morale] / 3min); bless (+1 Att/ save vs fear [morale], 3min); embrace the wild (+3 Spot/Listen; low-light vision/ blind sense 30' / 39 min); Darkvision 60' (59min); spider climb (49 min?), Invisibility (29 min)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I move to pick up Lan, even as I stand between Merrick and the curtain.

"Get out of here! Go!"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Merrick look lashes out at the extra Planar demonic form but it's natural toughness means the tentacles cannot shred its odd hide. Lan, weakened by the evil symbol gives a shout as he tumbles nervelessly from the ceiling landing on the floor.

Mirriana leaps forward, one hand hefting up the halfling as she moves to shield the overly brave wizard from the demon beyond! Before the demon can unleash horrific magic upon them the little earthen creature pulls the curtain back across hidingbthe beast from sight.

It starts to chant, a rumbling absyaal gurgling as a spinning black portal begins to spin and large claws appear at the portal!

Spoiler: summon hezrou
    Show

(1d100)[32]

Talsien, Goat and Zarina to go

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina braces herself and clutches he holy symbol till it digs into her palm drawing blood. The wave of dark magic washes over her but she throws off the effects. Seeing the demon is another issue entirely! She shouts to the others as the portal opens, "Its summoning more demons. Quickly, we must go!"

She waits by the doorway, quickening magic washing through her.

Spoiler: Zarina
    Show

Delay to move with the others
    Then double move 120ft!

17. - Top - End - #77

Merrick

"Flee Muddy! We cannot win."

Retracing his steps, he exits the door and return to the bedchamber. Feeling particularly spiteful, he draws his combustion wand and set the cleric's bed alight. He ponders the chest, but has been at the sharp end of too many traps to touch it.

Onward he presses back the way he came.

Spoiler: Mist
    Show
    How many rounds since I cast the mist? Will flicker and [i]transpositon[/roll] us through if still up.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Death and Damnation! Where did the cleric go?? Taliesn reaches out with his mage hand to close the curtain between what's left of the party and the growing cohort of demons. Think that'll hold them? Put Lan on my back, he suggests.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure who might carry Lan better: Mirriana with her unreduced strength or Taliesn with his reduced strength but quadruped bonus and higher move.
    Custom Class

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"No time, just run!" I manage to get out as I pass through the doorway, carrying Lan along with me. "Back to the well! Close doors behind us if you can!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Full retreat

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

The party sprint back through the bedroom and strange altar, all ducking under the strange green light that flows from the scrolls to the mysterious door! Behind you you can hear the savage roars of the hulking toad like Hezrou demon but quickened as you are the walls blur as you race past the destroyed undead and back to the well.

It's only a few moments as you slide down the chute landing in the waist deep sludge and starting to walk back through the tunnels. In less than 2 minutes you are back through the "plug", this time with no ghouls present, and into the crumbling ruins and massive arched vault of the Titans House.

Zarina slumps to her knees in the dust and gravel. "Is everyone okay? That was terrifying. And we still did not answer what the scrolls were doing. Though I don't think we had much of a chance to! That priest was powerful, we will need to be careful next time we face him"

It's still only lunch time. The parties exploration having only taken a few hours and Zarina is quick begin presdigitating her clothes and the others. "I don't want to look weak in front of the others. Plus the sewage is horrific..." she explains.

While you ponder what to do you are cheered at least that your arena manager is due to visit in a couple of hours as part of his team mentoring. Ekaym will at least be able to get a message to Eligos and Celeste!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Goattracker

The Goliath slams his fist against a wall in anger... And in defeat. "Damn them. Damn them all."
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #82

Merrick

"Let us dissimilate everything we learned. If we can get a message to Eligos of our discovery, he may be able to at least offer assistance. In the meantime, what exactly are we going to do about demons and undead and Kyuss cultists not ten metres below us?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"This is not a defeat!" I insist, the moment we've ask caught our breath, realising that even thus result is preferable to the pyrrhric victory against Zyrxog. "We merely lack the resources to progress further today. We are all alive, and we know the cult of Kyuss is definitely active in the catacombs. We may not have foiled their plot today, but there is nothing to stop us trying again."

"Okay, review:"
    "We're all a little beaten up. We can fix that with Goattracker's wand."
    "Who was affected by the symbol? Goattracker and I should be able to undo most of the harm tomorrow, but it might be preferable to go for a wand of Lesser Restoration if we can afford it, or maybe a couple of scrolls of Restoration be cheaper for now, if less useful in future."
    "Tal, you got in a pretty nasty fight with the ghouls early on. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Those are the immediate concerns. Next we have to consider what we're going to do. I think we should be safe in the Coenby for now. I agree with Merrick, we should definitely pass on our findings to Eligos, Celeste and Ekaym. And warn them! Raknian already put out a hit on us, and that cleric will surely alert him that we're closing in on him. He may go after our allies whilst we're cloistered in here."

"As for what we should do... We should rest and prepare for our battle tomorrow. We still have no proof. We have to continue in the games until we get a chance to investigate further."

24. - Top - End - #84

Merrick

"If we can call under the nose of the architect of all our current misery "safe", then I suppose you are correct. However we should at least tonight sleep in shifts."

Awaiting their manager's visit, Merrick scribbles a DO NOT USE mark over the prismatic mist entry in his spellbook.

"I have nearly killed us quite enough times thank you. Let us discuss arcane/divine/martial strategic synergies while we mend up."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

As they struggle back into the Coenby Zarina huddles around shielding the limp form of Lan from the others. She looks at Mirriana, "Retreat is never cowardly if it allows you to fight again Mirriana. Its not a defeat. Just a temporary set back." She grins shyly at the goliath, a hand on his arm to stop him punching the wall again. "Calm Goattracker. We won a mighty victory, we slew ghouls and legions of undead and forced Bozal to retreat. No mean feat. We can speak with Eligos, even if through Ekaym, and he will give us some advice. Of that I'm sure."...

------

Entering the Coenby the sound of the crowds above as they watch the lesser games going on is ever present but the other teams you will face on the morrow for the most part are sat in different corners of the massive chamber. Auric and his wizardly colleague raise a casual hand in recognition but the rest watch you coldly. All clearly with thoughts on the battles you face tomrrow. The guards are likewise not really interested, mainly standing and playing cards near the entranceway that would lead up to the ring above....
    Once you've got the weakened Lan into your small chambers the serving staff are quick to bring you a healthy tray full of nutritious stew, freshly baked bread and pitchers of water and heavy nut brown ale.

Shortly after that a bell rings as you see various managers coming down the stairs each escorted by a guard. Ekaym waves across as he ducks into the small chambers that you'd occupied. The tall blonde man sits down, helping himself to an ale.

"Greetings to you all. You must be happy, ELigos and Celeste congratulate you as well on your fine performance on the arena floor. We should find out your opponents for tomorrow. I've really come to visit to find out if you need anything to aid you in battle tomorrow?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn
    Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    "This is not a defeat!"
    Heh! Does she know the meaning of "defeat"? Because I'm pretty sure that running as fast as you can, with your tail (literally) between your legs – that's "defeat." I still cannot believe you beat me. 'Shouldn't have let you know I was coming.
    "Okay, review:"
    "We're all a little beaten up.
    Me.
    "Who was affected by the symbol?
    Also me. Taliesn feels sheepish. He hasn't felt this weak since . . . ever. If I shifted to humanoid form, I'd barely be able to move, he thinks.
    "Tal, you got in a pretty nasty fight with the ghouls early on. Are you sure you're okay?"
    No. In fact, this cut burns. He indicates a cut along one thigh, where the surrounding flesh has turned an angry red for a couple of inches to either side, with inflamed streaks stretching even further, while the deep center of it is a disturbing, necrotic grey. During the ardenaline-flushed fights, he had not noticed, but now the spreading infection was hard to ignore. He stretches his shape-changing and body-control abilities through his form. If only there were some way I could control myself to heal my own wounds. *Sigh*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Only one more level. Just trying to RP the development.

I admit, the extended reach has been useful.

We still have no proof.
    We didn't even get that damned scroll!

I have money. What do we need to buy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Taliesn's sitting on 4,900 gp. I think that is net of what he put down for the team wager, and I don't think we've yet received our gambling winnings. It's been such a long time IRL, however, that I could be wrong.

He'll want to reserve 100 gp to buy replacements for his magic fang and protection from evil potions, but otherwise it's generally available.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-07-12 at 06:23 PM.
    Custom Class

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

As they struggle back into the Coenby Zarina huddles around shielding the limp form of Lan from the others. She looks at Mirriana, "Retreat is never cowardly if it allows you to fight again Mirriana. Its not a defeat. Just a temporary set back." She grins shyly at the goliath, a hand on his arm to stop him punching the wall again. "Calm Goattracker. We won a mighty victory, we slew ghouls and legions of undead and forced Bozal to retreat. No mean feat. We can speak with Eligos, even if through Ekaym, and he will give us some advice. Of that I'm sure."...
    Mirriana

I smile appreciatively at Zarina's words, which convey much the same meaning as my own and reinforce them. As long as morale holds we can keep pushing forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    Taliesn
    Me.

Also me. Taliesn feels sheepish. He hasn't felt this weak since . . . ever. If I shifted to humanoid form, I'd barely be able to move, he thinks.

No. In fact, this cut burns. He indicates a cut along one thigh, where the surrounding flesh has turned an angry red for a couple of inches to either side, with inflamed streaks stretching even further, while the deep center of it is a disturbing, necrotic grey. During the ardenaline-flushed fights, he had not noticed, but now the spreading infection was hard to ignore. He stretches his shape-changing and body-control abilities through his form. If only there were some way I could control myself to heal my own wounds. *Sigh*

I have money. What do we need to buy?[/I][/COLOR]
    "Damn. Ok, looks like we're going to be splashing out on healing scrolls."

Shortly after that a bell rings as you see various managers coming down the stairs each escorted by a guard. Ekaym waves across as he ducks into the small chambers that you'd occupied. The tall blonde man sits down, helping himself to an ale.

"Greetings to you all. You must be happy, Eligos and Celeste congratulate you as well on your fine performance on the arena floor. We should find out your opponents for tomorrow. I've really come to visit to find out if you need anything to aid you in battle tomorrow?
    "As it happens, not very," I inform our manager. "We've made progress; as we suspected, there are dark forces gathering in the undercrypt, but we were unable to stop them or divine their plan. We sustained many injuries in the attempt."

"Given time, I could bring us back to full strength, but not without using resources best saved for our match tomorrow. We're going to need some supplies:"

"2x Scrolls of Restoration."
    "1x Scroll of Remove Disease."
    "1x Wand of Lesser Vigour."
    "1x Healing Belt"
    "6x Acid Flasks."

"Also, if our foes weren't alerted to our investigations, they are now. Raknian can't target us whilst we're in the Coenby, but he may attempt to target our allies. He's already shown he's prepared to take out hits on those who oppose him. You, Eligos, and Celeste should take steps to protect yourselves!"
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-07-13 at 04:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

Merrick

"If you can find them, I would like the following potions, scrolls or wands, whichever you can find and afford:"

Merrick hands Ekaym a hastily written list.

Scrolls:
    arcane eye
    greater invisibility
    Halt Undead

Wand:
    Enlarge person

Potion:
    Lesser Restoration
    Merrick hands over his purse of 4,100 gold.

"And please if any surplus remains, add it to our wager for tomorrow's match. Any idea whom we will face?"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Even as the others discussed whether it was a win, loss or draw, Lan fumed internally. He was to weak to even lift his own arms, and the others had to carry him like a child. Now, there was discussion about how best they prepare themselves for the fight tomorrow. What in the nine hells were these people thinking? If this was going to be the way they approached every situation, they were going to die. And Lan didn't fancy dying with them.

Of course, part of his frustration was that he had missed another critical item - the trap next to the demon. And he failed to kill the priest. And he had almost died.

If anyone tried to speak with him, he simply thought to Taliesn, Let me be ...

Show
    Lan is also low in HPs and Str.

Status
    F +11, R +17, W +8
    Effects: living prints (2hrs); symbol of weakness (-12 Str)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Tired beyond anything she had been normally Zarina slumps down next to the halfling. "How are you Lan, I know you must be feeling weak, would you like any help with your equipment or some food or drink? At the very least we could get one of the staff to give you some proper bandages and tidy things up?"" She sits beside him offering water as she takes a long drink herself. As Ekaym does the rounds she shakes her head, "Thank you but there is nothing I can think of at the moment thta would aid me in particular. Perhaps after the competition or a repeat excursion into the that vile underground tomb".

--------

At Mirriana and Tal's words Ekaym writes things down with a neat and practiced hand. Looking at the list of mainly healing supplies he nods. "Most of these should be available at the Temple of Pelor and I will do my best with the others. I shall return later this evening after dinner has been served and the games have closed for the day. You will be told who you are fighting then. Do you have any more details you'd like to pass onto Eligos or Celeste? I will find them this afternoon and pass on your words of warning."