New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt3

Before Zarina or Elkist can act or before Lan can release his deadly javelins Merrick and Mirriana respond with deadly magics. The barrage of gleaming silvery spheres from Merrick neatly dissecting and destroying the injured Wormcaller. The second worm caller glances down at its fallen comrades, a dry hissing voice "You awakened a power within this Ziggurat. Only death awaits yo...." It doesn't finish as the massive gleaming silver hammer of righteous power from Mirriana smashes into sending fragments of the undead creature across the room and into the fountain waters.

Zarina looks at Mirrina with a look of surprise, "Impressive magics Mirriana. Impressive indeed!" Even as the last of the undead die the fountain in the chamber seems to flow across the floor of the chamber. green worms and water slowly swirling and forming a complex city map. Your view changes into a birds eye view of the city of Kuluth Mar at the height of its glory. The streets are empty as thousands of citizens gather in a great mass in the central plaza surrounding the spire where you are now standing. Suddenly a foul energy spills from the spire sweeping outwards in a great spiral of foulness felling the living like a great scythe cutting through wheat. With each mortal felled a sense of wrongness grows, a potent yet evil force growing and pulsing as each soul stolen is drawn into the Spire of Long Shadows and absorbed by the strange black monolith that lies balanced atop the spire's fork. As the energy builds around the peak a shimmering image of a colossal humanoid figure, its body composed of millions of writhing worms begins to take form atop the spire, its arms raised in a triumphant pose... The pose begins to change to one of rage and the beast unleashes a soul wrenching cry of fury. The massive humanoids shrinks slowly pulled into stone monolith at the Spire's peak imploding with a horrific wet burst of soft green worms. In an instant the city is quiet save for the bodies of the thousands of dead that begin to seep and decay into the plaza around the ziggurat. The thousands undulate and shift as the worms rain upon them, the now dead spawns of Kyuss rising in their thousands...

Even as you watch them leaving the image fades, the floortiles just wet and sheeted with the scattered remains of the undead. Another vision of Kyuss chilling in its intensity and portent.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Firbolg in the Playground

Merrick

A dry chuckle echoes in Merrick’s throat.

Something went awry. Devouring souls can hold... risks if done incorrectly, Acererak muses from void beyond Life and Death.

Well I think our path is clear. Destroy that spire.

And learn its secrets, my Dear Host. Together we can rule the Planes forever!

Merrick cleared his throat nervously, hoping he didn’t say the last part aloud
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2019-12-15 at 02:45 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"The spire has already fallen," I remind Merrick. "It was gone when we got here and then we had a vision where a red dragon -probably Dragotha - stole it, remember? I think we're going to have to find out where she took Kyuss. Everyone stay back from the fountain, it has some nasty compulsions on it. I'll have a quick look for any items, but then we should go back the way we came as there's no way forward in this direction. Does anyone need healing?"

4. - Top - End - #1354

Merrick

"Yes, find the undead dragon as well. As though we don't have enough walking dead to deal with."

As it happens, he wondered if he recalled any undead dragons of not in his history studies...

Spoiler: K: History
    Show
    (1d20+6)[19] I wish Dr. Ceracis of Cauldron was here.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2019-12-16 at 03:35 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

"An architecture of madness. I wonder if the population were complicit." Elkist holds back as advised.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Detect magic on contents of room, then guard the other direction.

Knowledge religion if it helps (1d20+5)[6] Edit: Nope
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2019-12-20 at 03:01 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan stood across the room, heeding Mirriana’s warning. As the others finish off the callers, he started to call out when the vision came. Frowning, he said aloud, ”Looks like he was tricked. He wanted power and got it ... at a price.

Burn the room and let’s go.”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Teady to move out and scout the next rooms...
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 71/89; AC: 21 (26) FF/Touch: 16/16
    F +12 R +16 W +8
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +18 Move Silently/Hide +20 Tumble +34 D Device +20
    Spells (4/6/5/2/2) 0: create water, guidance, mending, light
    1: <s>detect fav enemies</s>, gravity bow, <s>embrace the wild</s>, hunter's mercy, sniper’s shot, surefooted stride, CLW x2
    2: fell the greatest foes, fell the greatest foe, invisibility, exacting shot, exacting shot, CMW
    3: decoy image, find the gap, find the gap
    4: aspect of earth hunter, <s>deeper darkvision</s>
    Javelins (+21, 1d4+2 / +22, 1d4+3 w/in 30', bane vs undead)
    Items: 1/1 Laughing Rogue; 2/2 Quicksilver Boots; 1/2 Horizon Walker
    Effects: +10 Tumbling, detect favored enemies (w/in 60’; 70min); embrace the wild (30’ blindsense, +2 Spot/Listen; 70 min); deeper Darkvision (120’, 7 hours), Fire Resistance 30; Mass conviction (+4 morale bonus vs all saves; 120min); Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Titan in the Playground

Looking around, aside from the horrific worm infested magical chain on the bodies or the cursed fountain there is little else in this chamber.

Both Zarina and Merrick have heard of Dragotha, the undead dracolich, the first dracolich and once paramour of Tiamat herself. A creature as legendary as Kyuss in some ways.

Zarina looks at Morriana and nods, "Power, the power of a city worth of souls. Enough to ascend I suspect. I worry that our path may lead to that flying horror. Then we shall need the Gods themselves on our side."

Glancing back to the previous chamber she looks, the light from her armour illuminating the way and the doorway and the to the left. "A crypt or a lake of worms, which shall take a closer look at Sheriff?"

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"To be honest I'm not keen to get near that lake unless we have to," I admit. "I don't know how we can repel that many worms. And maybe there'll be something we can learn in the crypt."

9. - Top - End - #1359

Merrick

They are unnerving, but we may have no choice.

Feeling the vestige of Zceryll returning, Merrick takes a mental inventory of his enchantments remaining.

I sensed some dispelling. How fares your protections?

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"My spells survived, but I'd prefer it if we didn't have to face any more dispels today." I say wryly, all too aware I've had to use my ring of spellbattle already.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-01-01 at 05:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

"The crypt it is then. Better to stay on solid ground while we can. Caught by one more of those dispels while flying over such an area would be a sure end."

Show
    Ready to go.
    Sword in hand
    Detect evil, detect spirits on the crypt area.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan nodded and slipped forward, scouting ahead.

He glanced back and whispered, ”Remember, don’t bunch up until you have to.”
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+20)[22], Search - (1d20+18)[19], Listen - (1d20+20)[27], Move silently - (1d20+20)[29], Hide - (1d20+20)[38],
    Show
    F +12 R +16 W +8
    1: <s>detect fav enemies</s>, gravity bow, <s>embrace the wild</s>, hunter's mercy, sniper’s shot, surefooted stride, CLW x2
    2: fell the greatest foes, fell the greatest foe, invisibility, exacting shot, exacting shot, CMW
    Effects: +10 Tumbling, detect favored enemies (w/in 60’; 70min); embrace the wild (30’ blindsense, +2 Spot/Listen; 70 min); deeper Darkvision (120’, 7 hours), Fire Resistance 30; Mass conviction (+4 morale bonus vs all saves; 120min); Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-12-31 at 03:47 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina nods to the others, flicking the sword around a few times to stretch muscles. Then she takes a moment to prepare, red scales forming on her forearms and neck as she summons draconic power to shield herself and her outline begins to blur shielding her form as well. Smiling at the others she shakes her head to rid herself of the vision and joins the others walking towards the crypt.

The room opens up into a long rectangular room that glows dull green in the light of Elkist and Zarina's armour. Perfectly preserved (but thankfully dead, properly dead not undead) cover most of this large chamber arrayed head to toe in neat rows. Thick dust obscures the walls and floors, signs of the room great age. Yet no trace or decay touches the corpses. The massive green stone blocks line the chamber and are covered with ancient symbols resembling coiled worms.

To the magically savvy (that is most of the party) its clear that the green glowing symbols are responisble for the preservation magic. The only door from this room lies opposite from you, with Lan's sharp eyes in the dimmest recesses of the light he can see that the next chamber is the same although the blocks are not glowing and only decays fragments of dust and bones remain atop the stones where ancient preserving magic has clearly failed.... He can also see a route out of the next room heading south (relative to the eastern door you'd enter from) and his sharp nose picks up a musty dry scent emanating from that room and picks up the faint sound of slithering scales.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

As Lan scouted forward, he saw a passage to another too. Sniffing, he frowned, whispering, ”Damn ... smells like those snake people. Dark magic and fire.

Any invisibility spells left?”

Show
    Thinking invis scouting and perhaps an ambush attack.
    Show
    F +12 R +16 W +8

15. - Top - End - #1365

Merrick

None used today. Mind they aren’t dragons. They can see invisible peoples.

With a sprinkling of regents, Lan vanishes.

Spoiler
    Show
    13 minutes...

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"We'll wait here. If you see a worthy foe, return and let us know so we can get some offensive spells up," I say quietly.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

As Lan faded from sight, he nodded at Mirriana and gave a wink to Zarina. Then he was gone; but whether those around knew the difference was uncertain. He slipped forward and checked towards the open areas, looking for signs of enemies. Once he had looked around, he reported back his findings ... presuming nothing stopped him.
    Show
    [i]Scouting ahead. Invisible w/120’ Darkvision and 30’ blindsense. Also using detect favored enemies (undead, constructs, elementals, and arcane users)
    Move silently - (1d20+20)[40], Listen - (1d20+20)[21], Spot - (1d20+20)[28]
    Show
    F +12 R +16 W +8

18. - Top - End - #1368

Merrick

Through the medium of Zceryll, Merrick sends his thoughts to Lan.

I can relay your thoughts to the rest through me, if you wish to remain silent.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina waves to Lan, offering a mid and smile as vanishes from view as ghosts through the second room and starts heading south on silent feet. A break in the narrow tunnel decorated with alien runes gives another glance at the rolling sea of worms.

To the south where the faint hiss comes from the room and decorations change. The same marble walls and green stones surround it but nests of tattered books and refuse lie scattered across the floor surrounding curved troughs, each big enough to accommodate a worm the size of a small horse. There is disconcerting symmetry about the location of these troughs in the room. A marker of a strange alien will making itself at home amid the refuse of Kyuss's arrogance and power...

Without fully entering the room, avoiding the troughs, and seeing what lies within Lan pauses and can hear the unmistakable sound of arcane words and the feeling of spells being cast.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan pauses before entering the room, a sixth sense raising the hairs on the back of his neck. He heard the beginnings of arcane casting, which sent him moving for cover. He concentrated in where his enemies were as he thought back what he had found to Merrick. There are some huge worms and something unnatural here ... and I think it’s casting a spell ...
    Show
    [i]I’m guessing nothing was w/in 30’ ... but what about an arcane caster w/in 60’? I should get direction and relative power. Also, can Lan determine if it’s one voice or multiple?
    Show
    F +12 R +16 W +8

21. - Top - End - #1371

Merrick

Feeling the message but not the urgency, Merrick happily relays the message via to the group.

Lan says he sees some huge worms and something "unnatural" here. He think it’s casting a spell.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2020-01-11 at 02:32 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Titan in the Playground

For Lan

Pausing in the doorway Lan settles for a moment letting his sixth sense and the other five senses reach out into the strange musty library ahead of him. He thinks he can hear three moving sapes, all shrouded in the darkness and all within the room and off to the right around the corner of the door. One he guesses is more powerful, a strong foe from the acrid stench of the magic, the other two he think may be similar to the naga's they fought at the mouth of the crater.

Zarina

Pausing motionless as Merrick telepathically lets them know that Lan has found something Zarina readies herself no doubt for the fighting to come. She thinks of what spells to cast, summoning 7 more images of herself that surround her ina flickering display of warrior woman all wielding the long curved Auran sword.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"Wait a couple minutes..." I whisper to the others as they move to start casting spells. "If our foe is preparing for us with spells we can spoil their plans by letting their short duration spells expire first."

After a gauging a long enough period to disadvantage anyone looking to surprise us, I begin my own casting. Divine Power! Righteous Might!

"Ok, let's go!"

Spoiler
    Show

Divine Power: BaB =14. Strength +6 Enhancement. 13THP.
    Righteous Might: Large, Strength +4 Size, Constitution +2 Size, natural armour +2 enhancement, AC -1 size, DR 3/evil

24. - Top - End - #1374

Merrick

After heeding Mirriana's request to delay, Merrick bolsters the group with some spells.

I've blostered us against fire already, I doubt scalykind will risk using cold in a confined space. This will ward us against acid.

After casting his second mass resist energy of the day, he flies up over to Lan's general area and awaits the command to strike.

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Cast mass resist energy (acid) on everyone - ex ept maybe Lan, him being invisible and not near us when cast. Anyway, /30 acid for 130 minutes.
    Holding position by door, 10 feet above the ground.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2020-01-17 at 12:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

When Mirrian indicates it's time, Elkist casts a prayer across the group before channeling Heironeous' power to take on panther-like features once more.

"I'm with you, shieldmaiden" she growls, hefting her sword, shield floating before her.

Spoiler: Actions & stats
    Show
    Cast interfaith blessing:
    If you worship Heironeous (Elkisit, Zarina) +2 sacred to attack
    • Everyone else random:
    • Mirriana (1d8)[4] = +2 sacred on damage rolls
    • Merrick (1d8)[5] = +2 sacred to AC
    • Lan (if within 20ft) (1d8)[2] = +1 sacred on attack rolls and skill checks

lasts 10 minutes

Cast bite of the weretiger on self (Enhance +12 Str, +4 Dex, +6 Con, +5 natural armour)

Elkist Talphrin
    Female LG Half-Drow Paladin 4/ Spirit Shaman 10, Level 14, Init 7, HP 90/103, DR light fortification (25% resist critical hits & sneak attacks), Speed 30ft
    AC 23, Touch 11, Flat-footed 22, Fort 22, Ref 19, Will 22, Base Attack Bonus 11
    Ghost touch Lightning Sword +17/ +12/ +7 (+11 base, +3 str, +2 weapon, +1 morale (Heroes Feast)) (2d6+8 (+6 str, +2 weapon), 19-20 x2)
    Ghost touch +1 Full plate armour of Agility, Ghost touch +1 Animated heavy steel shield (+9 Armor, +3 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 27
    Condition
    Permanent/ daily effects:

Pal: Aura of good
    Pal: Aura of courage (immune fear, allies +4 morale bonus vs fear)
    Pal: Divine health (immunity to disease)
    SS: Blessing of the spirits (protection from spirits: +2 defl AC, +2 resist Saves)
    SS: Ghost warrior (ghost touch weapons & armour)
    SS: Warding of the spirits (magic circle vs spirits:10ft radius +2 defl AC, +2 resist Saves)
    1/2E: Immunity to sleep
    1/2E: +2 save vs enchantment
    1/2E: low light vision
    Armour crystal: +3 competence save vs energy drain, death spells/ effects, inflict spells)
    Cloak: +4 enhancement to Cha
    Gauntlets: +2 enhancement to Str
    Primal instinct (wand): +5 competence initiative & survival
    Armbands: +2 Str checks & skills, +2 damage on Power attack)
    Mirriana: Imbue with Spell Ability

Hour+ effects:

Longstrider (wand): +10ft enhancement speed
    Righteous Aura (wand): +4 sacred Cha, daylight
    Heart of Air (spell): +10 enhance Jump
    Mass Resist Energy/30 fire for 130 minutes. (Merrick)
    Mass Resist Energy/30 acid for 130 minutes. (Merrick)
    Heroes Feast (Mirriana): immune poison & fear, +1 morale bonus on attack rolls & Will saves
    Shield Other (wand): Mirriana
    Heart of Earth (spell): +8 resist bull rush, overrun, trip; +18 temp hp
    Heart of X (spell): light fortification (25% resist critical hits & sneak attacks)

Minute+ effects (not included in stats):
    Interfaith Blessing (+2 sacred attack)

Round+ effects (only Dex adj. included in stats):
    Bite of the Weretiger (Enhance +12 Str, +4 Dex, +6 Con, +5 natural armour)
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2020-01-17 at 02:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan relays what he sees, then thinks, I’m near the corner ... might be worth sending in one of your ‘scouts’ ...

OOC -Waiting for the others to close in ... if it sounds likes an incoming dispel or the bad guys are advancing, Lan will retreat back to the others.
    Show
    F +12 R +16 W +8

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana bursts into the room, massive, 11ft tall and filled with divine power she is an armoured beheomth striding in. Lan, invisible glides along by her feet, barely high enough to reach her knees as Elkist and Mirriana follow her into the room, the swords of Aqaa pulsing blue as the luminous armours of the two paladins fills the space.
    The room is a mass of rune covered floors and ceilings, paints and scratch marks of odd arcane scribblings cover the floors and walls in the few spaces not covered by pages of books, matted layers of discarded snake moults and papers and a massive bookcase with partially ripped apart books that are yellowed with age and vellum.

Lan, extrasensory senses tingling can feel the presence of 4 creatures on the far side of the room some 40ft from the doorway, 2 in the centre close to each other, the others 15ft apart to each flank, although they are invisible to regular sight! Merrick swoops above the party flying in with the others, his weird vestige filled body enjoying the bizzare alien writings on the wall.

Initiative

Mirriana, Lan, Elkist
    "Invisible evil"
    Zarina and Merrick

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"True Seeing" I cast spontaneously from my domain slots, quickly realising our foes aren't visible to normal sight. I quickly cover the distance between myself and my newly visible enemies to bring them within 10ft of my size-extended reach.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

A low growl comes from Elkist's throat as she is confronted by the attempted deceit. Taking direction from Mirriana she whips forward into the fray, sensing enemies close by her sword carves around in an arc.

Show
    Swift: Holy Surge
    Move: Close to melee range, as indicated by Mirriana (stand adjacent to Mir if possible)
    Standard: Attack invisible foe Lightning Sword (1d20+20)[35] (+11 base, +8 str, +2 weapon, +1 morale (Heroes Feast), +2 sacred (Interfaith Blessing), -4 PA); damage (2d6+28)[34] (+16 str, +2 weapon, +8 PA, +2 armbands) + (1d6)[3] shock + (2d6)[9] holy surge
    Miss 1-50 (1d100)[99](1d100)[17] (best of 2)

Ha, turns out Bite of the Weretiger gives me Blind-Fight. A nice coincidence!

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana strides forwards like an avenging angel of death trailing motes of light as towering near the ceiling her eyes pulse with a holy light and the room becomes clear as day. She sees the room filled with chewed and pulped paper and cast off moults moulded into crude nests and tucked behind three of them she sees three naga. Two are loathsome dark green worm like creatures similar to those you had fought upstairs. The one in the centre however is longer and more elaborate than its two kin, shinier light green skin and a vast cobra like hood marred by the skull of kyuss decorate its neck and its face looks at you with something akin to suprise! The suprise is real as Elkist runs in beside Mirriana and reaches the nearest of the lesser worm naga's, her glitter Blade or Aqaa slashing into releasing a vast spray of ichorous blood!

The suprise turns nastier however as it suddenly flashes with magis, as does its smaller kin. Magic suddenly lacing towards the two warrior women and Zarina and Merrick nearer the doors (the halfling still concealed from sight due to his impressive arcane hunting skills and stealth). A torrent of spells suddenly hammers into the party, beads of black energy seeking to ravage and suck the life from both Mirriana and Elkist. EVen as the spells hammer home, fire enveloping the door by Zarina and Merrick the horrors of the naga strike at all of your mental strengths seeking to render you into semi-intelligent mumbling fools! Merrick and Zarina the worst effected with their connections to the arcane.

Show

ALL:
    Feeblemind GAZE VS ALL CASTERS!
    - Will DC 26 (-4 penalty if a caster) or Int/Cha drop to 1!

Lesser Naga 1 (wounded and in melee with Elkist and Mirriana)
    Standard: SLAY LIVING on Elkist - DC21 Fort or die! If save (3d6+13)[24] damage
    Swift: Quickened Blindness on Elikst - DC 18 Fort of blinded

Lesser Naga 2
    Swift: Quickened Divine favour
    Standard: Enervation vs MIrriana (1d20+12)[14] vs TOUCH for (1d4)[1] negative levels for 11 hours

Sruggt the Greater Worm Naga (15ft from Mirriana as its lesser minion was in the way)
    Swift: Quickened Fireball vs the door (Merrick and Zarina!) (10d6)[34] FIRE Ref DC 22 for half
    Standard: Reach HARM vs Mirriana (1d20+14)[22] vs TOUCH for 140 damage; Will DC 25 for half