New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXVI: Frequently Asked, Frequently Ignored

Since its the warlord trait (non vehicles), and since per recent faq, B.Brothers do not gain the benefits of Warlord traits, 3 blobs of 50 guardsmen are out.He is also raven guard if that helps.
    Devas/cents/bikes seems the most obvious choice though

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Eldar/DE/Harlies FAQs are up. Iyanden is apparently still legal, even though it's not sold anymore. Making your Gargantuan WK as your Warlord might lose you friends, though.

That annoys me. How dare that Destroyer lord bring 20 flayed ones/6 wraiths as ablative wounds? Just get past them with a challenge.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2016-07-06 at 02:09 PM.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Pretty sure you still can use Warlord Traits on Battle Brothers, what FAQ item are you specifically referencing?

Even though Bikes are better served in something like Dark Angels or White Scars, I agree that Lias makes Raptor bikes a bit more desirable. Infiltrate basically gives them the option to deploy in a good position no matter if you deploy first or second, and their mobility afterwards makes it pretty scary. Scout with Khan is pretty similar, though.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Is there no AoS thread or am I missing it? I know people were discussing it in here earlier, but I wouldn't want to fill up this thread with AoS talk.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

The Warhammer Fantasy thread might qualify - it's not quite reached the 6 week limit.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Pretty sure you still can use Warlord Traits on Battle Brothers, what FAQ item are you specifically referencing?
    It seems that I confused it with something else, formation benefits. I was wrong.

Ally Lias then with a demicompany and pour ObjSec units, and enemy infiltrators have only a 50% chance of stopping you rather than the 100% with Khan

Age of sigmar is here but it is very old, last reply was at april.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...cussion-Thread

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by peacenlove View Post
    It seems that I confused it with something else, formation benefits. I was wrong.

Ally Lias then with a demicompany and pour ObjSec units, and enemy infiltrators have only a 50% chance of stopping you rather than the 100% with Khan

Age of sigmar is here but it is very old, last reply was at april.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...cussion-Thread
    Yeah, that seems a bit far back. I started a new one, for the time being.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-and-Handbooks

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Trying to figure out how the Stormraven works....at least until it's turned into a rain of shrapnel by anti-air.

Skies of fury: allows disembarking after movement "as if it were Deep Striking". Okay, cool, rapid deployment option. The ship has a locator beacon which removes scatter on deepstrikes. I'm unsure if "as if it were Deep Striking" + locator beacon means that anything it drops off doesn't have to worry about the scatter, or if "as if" is not treated the same as actual Deep Striking. Anyone know of a rules confirmation one way or another? Struck me as a bit counter to remove the scatter but wanted to check if there was an official interpretation.

Bugger has hover, so it can be treated as a Fast Skimmer in that mode. So they don't have to move, and if they don't move in a turn then they get to shoot off everything at full BS, right? Does that include the 4 normal weapons (assuming hurricane bolters) AND the 4 storm strikes in one round if your destructive heart desires?

Zoom mode: can fire four weapons at full BS, so could you shoot off four stormstrike's at full BS? And then what happens with other weapons, would the rest get treated as snap shots if moving at combat speed? I think that's correct if you go full out in one turn but don't want to just assume.

So combined I think it could move at cruising speed, drop it passengers, and take 4 shots at full BS, and then the rest as snap shots if you wanted to go that route? And maybe one more weapon at full BS thanks to Power of the Machine Spirit as long as not going full out?

last, the transport capacity doesn't carry normal restrictions on "bulky" etc, but does say the ship can carry Jump Infantry, does that mean ONLY jump infantry can be transported? So for example, no loading terminators into the ship?
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2016-07-08 at 11:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Skies of fury: allows disembarking after movement "as if it were Deep Striking". Okay, cool, rapid deployment option. The ship has a locator beacon which removes scatter on deepstrikes. I'm unsure if "as if it were Deep Striking" + locator beacon means that anything it drops off doesn't have to worry about the scatter, or if "as if" is not treated the same as actual Deep Striking. Anyone know of a rules confirmation one way or another? Struck me as a bit counter to remove the scatter but wanted to check if there was an official interpretation.
    In the Blood Angels' FAQ (go to Facebook, search for Warhammer 40,000), we received the following;

Q: When using the Skies of Fury special rule to exit a Stormraven Gunship, would a locator beacon prevent the unit from scattering?
    A: No – the unit is not arriving from Deep Strike Reserve.

We can assume that the same is said for Space Marines.

Bugger has hover, so it can be treated as a Fast Skimmer in that mode. So they don't have to move, and if they don't move in a turn then they get to shoot off everything at full BS, right? Does that include the 4 normal weapons (assuming hurricane bolters) AND the 4 storm strikes in one round if your destructive heart desires?
    Affirmative. Reminding you that aside from Power of the Machine Spirit, a Stormraven is not Super-Heavy and must fire everything at the same target.

Zoom mode: can fire four weapons at full BS, so could you shoot off four stormstrike's at full BS? And then what happens with other weapons, would the rest get treated as snap shots if moving at combat speed? I think that's correct if you go full out in one turn but don't want to just assume.
    And you'd be correct in not wanting to assume. A Zooming Flier can shoot four weapons at full BS, and no other weapons. Not even as Snap Shots. PotMS would give you an extra shooting attack.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

last, the transport capacity doesn't carry normal restrictions on "bulky" etc, but does say the ship can carry Jump Infantry, does that mean ONLY jump infantry can be transported? So for example, no loading terminators into the ship?
    Cheese answered the rest, but yes, you can stick termies in a Raven since there's nothing restricting what it transports (except no bikes/jetbikes/mostrous creatures), as long as it's infantry of some description, you're good to go. You could even jam some assault centurions in there if you didn't mind them all getting destroyed with no saves if the raven gets gunned down. At least Hammernators get a 3++ against going splat. At this point though you need to ask yourself if you play on a board big enough (or against opponents killy enough) to justify not just taking a land raider that is always going to be making combat in turn 3 instead of sometimes allowing a charge on turn 5.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I beat 45 Warp Spiders with my Necrons! It took quite a bit of luck, and was only a win by FB and StW, but darn it I'll take that victory.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I beat 45 Warp Spiders with my Necrons! It took quite a bit of luck, and was only a win by FB and StW, but darn it I'll take that victory.
    And your list was...?

(Well done BTW)

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nicely done!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

First battle with my Death Guard! 1000 points vs an Ultramarines player.

Armies/Deployment
    Spoiler
    Show
    Typhus - 230
    Zombies x20 - 90
    Plague Marines x7 - 2x Plasma guns, Power Sword, Melta Bombs - 218
    Terminators x5 - Heavy flamer/lightning claw, combi-melta, chainfist, lighning claw/combi-melta/boon, Mark Of Nurgle - 240(ish)

A fairly basic force of what I have already. Too slow, even with the terminators in deep strike. Typhus picks up two powers from the Nurgle table, and has a fixed trait. The terminator sargeant makes my very first boon roll... 13. Nothing.

Sicarius
    Tactical Marines x10 - Grav, combi-grav, grav-cannon, rhino.
    Tactical Marines x10 - Melta, combi-melta, multi-melta, drop pod.
    Tactical Marines x5 - Heavy bolter, combi-flamer, rhino.
    Assault Marinex x5 - 2x flamers, powersword.
    Devastators x5 - 4x Lascannons

It's an ultramarines demi-company, so gets each doctrine once and tactical doctrine twice. Sicarius has a fixed warlord trait, so there's no rolling. Would be a lot scarier if I was meched up, but those gravs are scary anyway.

We put a big bunker with a big gun in the centre of the board, a ruined building in each half and a crater in each other. Game mode is Big Guns Never Tire, which is fine by me and my lack of Heavy Support: we end up with one objective in each piece of terrain.

I deploy one unit of plague marines in my ruin, the other poised to hop onto the bunker, and the zombies in a crater on my other objective. Typhus goes with the terminators and deep strikes. He puts his devastators in his ruin, his grav-squad in a rhino on one side, and the bolter squad on the other, by the edge of the board, lined up to shoot my zombies. The assault marines sit in the centre of his deployment, mirroring my own dash for the ruin, while Sicarius hides behind the bolter squad's rhino, far out to the other edge.

War-Log of Battle-Sage Cyrus, Death Guard

Spoiler
    Show
    The "Saviour" is taking us to war. Apparently his foul concoctions and strange prayers have had their effect. We are "ready".

I do not like the "Saviour" apellation. He saved us, perhaps, wandering in this imperium that has fallen so far from what we defended, but he is still First Captain Typhon to me. Some of the more... excitable... of the brothers are calling him the Saviour though. I do not trust those that take to his cause with zealotry: the "accelerants" he is making us drink, the offer of vehicles and war materials, and the replacement of our chapter serfs and support with his own twisted, half-human things. Those mortals are the only ones to have returned from the warp with us after our long time adrift. I suspect they are dead now. As for the "plaguefather" that we now nightly give blessing to, I hold my tongue for fear someone will find this report.

Our target today is a gun emplacement on the outskirts of an imperial city. Typhon and his plague-things have been running amuck in the city, and now the sons of Guilleman come to reclaim the defenses and take it back. Hardly the march on terra we were expecting, but every step helps. Since I vowed to tear down the imperium, it has become nothing but more festering and corrupt. If corruption is what is needed, then Typhon's corruption is what it shall be.

Game
    Spoiler
    Show
    Turn One
    He doesn't seize, so I advance. One squad moves of marines moves onto the gun emplacement, and the zombies move slightly forwards into cover. Maximum-range plasma knocks a hull point off Sicco's pimp-wagon, but everything else has to run.

His drop pod comes in, and the squad inside Combat Squads. The melta-marines fail to kill any Death guard, and five bolt-marines can't kill very many zombies. Grav-weapons kill a few plague marines, and then the ASM charge them. The ASM attack first with more attacks, but the Plague Marine toughness comes through and none are killed. The Champion challenges - because he has to - and weathers several power weapon attacks to return some - and slices the bastard to pieces! Second roll on the Chaos Boon table... 21. Spawn'd. I borrow a Spawn from the store, and the rest of the squad does a single extra wound. He passes, and remains locked in combat.

Turn Two
    Terminators arrive and Run away into cover from the Grav and Las. Zombies charge one pod squad and reduce them to two members, who run away. The spawn hops over the gun and punches a rhino to death (Three hits, three glances!) The grav piles out... and gets a free three-inch move round cover towards the termies. Ah. Lascannons fry the spawn, grav mushes the terminators, and a multi-melta fails to wound a zombie. In the combat phase, he sensibly doesn't charge Typhus - Sicarius is in a Rhino, but even he wouldn't have a good time against a Ap2 Daemon Weapon. The assault marines continue whaling on the two remaining plague marines, for no wounds scored.

Turn Three
    Typhus moves to charge the two zombie survivors, and I remember he has psychic powers! My opponent denies Nurgle's Rot, but I do manage to drop a Poisoned Ap2 Blast on his bunched-up grav-marines, which kills several of them, including the Sargeant and grav-gun, but not the cannon. Good enough! My objective-camping marines can't kill the drop pod, unfortunately, but the assault phase goes better: the zombies successfully charge the rest of the pod marines, killing one with over twenty attacks, while Typhus rolls a 1 for his daemon weapon and takes a wound - though does still chop up both survivors from the other combat squad. The assault marines take a casualty and run.

In his turn, the assault marines rally and dodge into cover, while Sicarius's personal limousine retreats sharpish from Typhus, with the grav-squad also hopping aboard. One of his squads moves to block Typhus against the wall of the building for some reason. The lascannons and bolter fire kill one of the two plague marines that survived the combat, but the other is out of sight.

Turn Four
    Typhus moves to the top of the building - my opponent knew we weren't using the building rules, so i've no idea what he was thinking - and successfully manifests Nurgle's Rot and then the AP2 blast, killing all but one of the devastators and the bolter marines. He charges the last devastator and handily slices him up, claiming that objective. The zombies are still numerous enough to take or deny the one they were deployed on, but they still can't kill the two marines they're in combat with - they're fearless, so not going anywhere, but simply can't tear through power armour.

In his turn, he moves the Grav-squad up towards my remaining plague marines in the centre, and throws the assault marines into close combat. Sicarius disembarks and makes a run for the last objective, and the few remaining bolter-marines fail to climb the building after Typhus. The assault marines kill one plague marine, and again the zombies don't kill anyone, and don't take any damage (by making a 6+ save!)

Turn Five
    There's not much I can do. Typhus can't see the bolter marines down below, and can't reach them without leaving the objective AND jumping in front of a grav-cannon. Plasma guns take pot-shots at Sicarius and miss. He disembarks the grav-marines ready to join the combat, and moves the bolter marines into the building, as close to Typhus as they can, while moving his last Rhino to claim my objective.

At this point, he has three objectives (since Typhus isn't Objective Secured) to my one, and the central one is contested, plus linebreaker: 10 points. I have one objective, plus Linebreaker, First Blood (from the spawn punching out the rhino), and the mission objective to kill a heavy support unit (the devastators): six. If the game continues, Typhus can claim his objective easily, and all my plague marine needs to do is survive to keep contesting his, which would win mean a victory for me 7-9... the game ends. Victory to the Ultramarines!

War-Log of Battle-Sage Cyrus, Death Guard
    Spoiler
    Show
    We have failed: the emplacement has fallen. Bios and Phyrros are dead, and Ignius is... transformed. I witnessed it myself. He screamed prayers to the plaguefather as he cut down the Ultramarine, and in reward became a twisted, bloated... thing, that tore at itself and buzzed with flies. For the first time, my resolve in our new allies was shaken.

My body is bloating and becoming pestilent. I feel maggots inside my armour, feasting on my flesh. And yet, this has proved the saving of many of us: our "enhanced" forms keeping us alive even after what should have been killing blows. An emergency counter-teleport even returned our Terminator suits to us, except for that of Phyrros.

We continue our advance. There is no personal cost too great to tear down this imperium of mankind. Typhon promises us allies, tech-sages, war machines. We are the last of the Death Guard, and we will complete our Primarch's ambition, or sell our lives in the trying.

Outcome

Spoiler
    Show
    I think my Nurglites performed well as an outset - definitely within acceptable parameters for a list designed to be a bit more squishy. The lack of speed really hurt, as did any kind of proper alpha strike - If i could have killed that Rhino with the grav-squad in turn one, the terminators could have done some real damage to the grav-guns themselves afterwards. As it was, my whole strategy for using them was crippled by the threat of that grav.

I should have also charged the spawn into Sicarius' rhino, leaving him out in the open and probably providing cover for the terminators in the form of a wreck. I don't think I could have got a terminator charge on him anyhow, but man, it would have eaten him alive - dude doesn't have any AP2, pistol aside.

Perhaps I should have advanced the zombies onto the central objective and kept the squatting for my Plague Marines... perhaps.

The next thing I want to do with this army is drop a terminator and some spare wargear in favour of a pair of Rhinos to get the marines up close and personal. A strictly better alternative might be Obliterators, but I'm not sure what I could remove for them - Typhus and the zombies? Make the terminator squad pure termicide? It'll be easier when I go to 1500.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2016-07-10 at 11:12 AM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Typhus - 230
    Zombies x20 - 90
    Terminators x5 - Heavy flamer/lightning claw, combi-melta, chainfist, lighning claw/combi-melta/boon, Mark Of Nurgle - 240(ish)

The next thing I want to do with this army is drop a terminator and some spare wargear in favour of a pair of Rhinos to get the marines up close and personal. A strictly better alternative might be Obliterators, but I'm not sure what I could remove for them - Typhus and the zombies? Make the terminator squad pure termicide? It'll be easier when I go to 1500.
    Sounds like a good close game. Did you have fun?

As for how to get an Oblit in while keeping the termies;

230 - Typhus
    90 - 20x Zombies
    218 - 7x Plague Marines, 2x Plasma guns, Power Sword, Melta Bombs, Rhino
    218 - 7x Plague Marines, 2x Plasma guns, Rhino
    112 - 3x Terminators, 3x Combi Meltas
    76 - 1x Obliterator, MoN

Drop as many Zombies as you need to to put MoN on the Termies to keep theme.

Alternately, if you're not tied to Typhus, a FistiClaw lord on bike with Nurgle spawn is pretty damn decent. If I was building a Nurgle list (ie, one of the only actual "competative" CSM options), I think it'd look something like this;

Spoiler: Nurgle Rush
    Show

Crimson Slaughter CAD
    195 - Lord, MoN, Daemonheart, Sigil, Fist, Claw, Bike
    238 - 7x Plague Marines, 2x Plasma, Rhino
    228 - 7x Plague Marines, 2x Melta, Rhino
    108 - 3x Spawn, MoN
    76 - 1x Obliterator, MoN
    76 - 1x Obliterator, MoN
    76 - 1x Obliterator, MoN

If you like Bikers instead of spawn, 3 MoN bikers with a pair of melta guns is also exactly 108 points, so swap as desired. Spawn mean grav is wounding on 6's and they've got 3 times the wounds, but bikers can jink, have melta and have an] Aspiring Champion Chump to throw under the bus when your lord needs to buy a round. I prefer spawn, especially with Nurgle, but that's both personal preference and a meta choice. If you want to mitigate free points for Purge or Big Guns, fold the oblits into 1 unit (and then watch them flee off the table the first time they take a casualty). Rush the lord and both rhino into midfield, oblits follow or D/S as required. Plauges camp midfield with the only weapons that matter firing out the hatch, lord splits off so he and the spawn can charge seperate units.

Lord is tough as a tough thing that's really, really tough. T6, 2+/4++, 3W, IWND and sufficiently killy with 5 attacks on the charge with either fist or claw and capable of punching a dreadnaught to death in 2 rounds on average if required.

Could also sub in a pair of maulerfiends for the oblits for a proper rush list, but IMHO, you don't have the armour saturation to do it at 1k and you need a damn good reason not to take Oblits, doubly so if you're already running a nurgle list. Heldrake would be nice too obviously, especially if you're playing marines. Definately pencil one in for 1500.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Sounds like a good close game. Did you have fun?
    Yes - very much so! That's something of the point of this list - to make a more fluffy than competitive list that's fun for both me and my opponents. Like I said, i've moved to a much less competitive environment recently, so Jetbike Eldar and Drop Pod marines would at best make me That Guy and at worst force other people to up their game and make nobody have any fun. (Not to be impertinent but I re-read a bunch of your battle reports while making this list: it looks as if the knock-on effect of one jerk (plus the rules providing increasing options for jerkery) has been enough to significantly spoil your local metagame: I refuse to be that jerk.)

As such, I appreciate the advice on fitting an Obliterator in (I reckon Typhon brought along more buddies than just the zombies) but i'm going to try and actively avoid even slightly cheesy tactics like taking an unrelated codex to cram in a cool relic. Thank you for the help - it would be exactly what I needed if I was still playing to win - but for now i'm trying to go for "cool things" first and foremost. I'm also not a fan of the general look of the Daemon Engines, including the Heldrake, though I might go for one if I can convert up something neat.

For example! What's the thinking being's way to outfit a Nurgle Daemon Prince? Wings and maximum psykery, yes? To jink and auto-hit with witchfires? There's a conversion contest coming up, and i'm thinking of converting a Morghast Archai into a Daemon Prince - with scythe and cloak, so I can use him as Mortarion instead should I want to.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2016-07-09 at 05:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Yes - very much so! That's something of the point of this list - to make a more fluffy than competitive list that's fun for both me and my opponents. Like I said, i've moved to a much less competitive environment recently, so Jetbike Eldar and Drop Pod marines would at best make me That Guy and at worst force other people to up their game and make nobody have any fun. (Not to be impertinent but I re-read a bunch of your battle reports while making this list: it looks as if the knock-on effect of one jerk (plus the rules providing increasing options for jerkery) has been enough to significantly spoil your local metagame: I refuse to be that jerk.)
    This guy! Yeah, that's pretty much what happened, and I applaude you for having the moral fibre to resist the urge to crush all those who stand before you and run what you like.

For example! What's the thinking being's way to outfit a Nurgle Daemon Prince? Wings and maximum psykery, yes? To jink and auto-hit with witchfires? There's a conversion contest coming up, and i'm thinking of converting a Morghast Archai into a Daemon Prince - with scythe and cloak, so I can use him as Mortarion instead should I want to.
    Yeah, wings and ML3 (usually all on Bio, looking for Iron Arm and/or Endurance) pretty much madatory. Armour is meta-dependant, especially on Nurgle Princes. Hurts against Grav and you've already got a 2+ cover for jinking and you can roll it as a greater if you're planing Daemons, but if you don't take it, you're going to get shredded by ignores cover, even a single wyvern is going to make you feel the pain. Can get away without it more if you're got getting into combat or are only going up against AP1/2/3 stuff anyway. Speaking of combat, Black mace is the usual go to out of the base CSM book (expensive, but worth it), balesword as 1 of your 2 greaters for Daemons. They do great at killing mooks (hitting on 3's, wounding on 2's, high I, AP2, getting hit on 5's, T5), but any real combat unit will make a mockery of them unless you're getting Iron arm off every turn, sometimes even then.

You can't auto-hit stuff with witchfires if you jink, since you can't auto-hit when you're making snap shots :( Against armies that'll turn you into a fine paste, sometimes you've got to take to the skies and try and shriek them down though. There's pretty much nothing you can do against wulfen other than fly around and stay the hell away from them, 'cause if they catch you, you're dead. Obviously summoning is out if you are trying to play nice, but it is a viable option if your ~350 point close combat monster can't actually get into CC with anything without getting thoroughly savaged by units half his cost.

Conversion sounds pretty rad, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Edit: What about trimming a couple of termies for MOAR! zombies? 20 more zombies wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
    Last edited by Drasius; 2016-07-09 at 06:17 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

How many magnets, and what sizes, do I need for setting up 4 Cadian Heavy Weapons Teams to be adjustable?

Also the main turret on a Leman Russ Battle Tank.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

And your list was...?

(Well done BTW)
    Sorry, went to bed right after

Spoiler: Knight Decurion
    Show
    Decurion
    Reclamation Legion
    Overlord - Phase Shifter, Solar Staff
    Warriors x10
    Warriors x10 - Night Scythe
    Immortals x5 - Gauss
    Tomb Blades x4 - 3+, Gauss, Ignores Cover

Canoptek Harvest
    Spyder
    Scarabs x3
    Wraiths x6 - Whip Coils x5

Canoptek Harvest
    Spyder
    Scarabs x3
    Wraiths x6 - Whip Coils x4

Forsworn Knight Detachment
    Renegade Knight - Avenger Gatling Cannon x2, Meltagun

His List, as best I can remember
    Spoiler: Warp Spamders
    Show
    Iyanden CAD
    Autarch - Bike
    Scatbikes x3
    Scatbikes x3
    Scatbikes x3
    Scatbikes x2 + 1 Regular Bike
    Shadow Weaver Support Battery
    Shadow Weaver Support Battery
    Skathach Wraithknight - Scatter Laser

Warhost
    Pale Court
    Farseer - Bike
    Warp Spiders x5
    Warp Spiders x5
    Warp Spiders x5

Aspect Host
    Warp Spiders x5
    Warp Spiders x5
    Warp Spiders x5

Aspect Host
    Warp Spiders x5
    Warp Spiders x5
    Warp Spiders x5

And yes, since the FAQ is in play he made his Iyanden Wraithknight his Warlord. I don't begrudge him, it's a tournament list, but bleh.

Spoiler: Quick Writeup
    Show
    ITC Mission 6
    He rolled all 3 on Div, got Precog, Perfect Timing and Scrier's Gaze. He really wanted Forewarning for his WK, but luckily he didn't get it.
    His WL Trait was Hatred on the WK
    I got Reroll Reserves and +1 to Seize

I got to deploy/go first, which I took.

I deployed everything on the board but the Bikes and the Flyer with Warriors and Overlord. He only deployed the WK in heavy cover and the Support Batteries, also in heavy cover. He chose not to Seize, so I went first.

Turn 1 was quick. I moved up all my Wraiths to take control of the board, putting them 21" away from the WK so he'd be at a 9" charge when he moved out. I unloaded one unit of Warriors and the Knight into one of the Support Batteries, only killing the platform and one dude thanks to T7 Platform and Cover.
    His T1, he moved up the WK, shot at some Wraiths with the big blasts, which did nothing, and the remaining Shadowweaver shot at some Scarabs but Scattered.

I scored 1 point for being on my Objective 1 (deployed in my DZ, so lol). My Flyer came in, so did my Tomb Blades, but I used my Warlord Trait Reroll to keep the Blades off. I misplayed a bit here, moving my Wraiths over to the remaining dude from the dead Support Platform, but he died to Warrior shots and the Wraiths were useless for a couple turns. D'oh! Luckily, I fired my Knight into the WK and stripped off 3 Wounds, while the Flyer came in and did a single one as well. The Wraiths charged the WK after but managed to do nothing but lose 2 models (I hate my Wraiths sometimes..., and the big Scarab blob killed off the remaining Platform (since you don't care about it's toughness in Assault).
    He goes, scores 1 as well, and brings on 2 units of Bikes and... 4 units of Spiders? He was using the Autarch +1/-1 to keep some off. His Spiders killed off my Immortals, but didn't do anything to the Spyders. The Jetbikes killed off the big blob of Scarabs, which was depressing. He then jumped everything around a stupid amount of distance (because free 6" run on the Warp Spiders plus 2d6" on everything). The WK took some more 0 wounds and killed another Wraith. bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

I got 2 on my turn, since I killed his platform off and had something in his DZ. Yay! The bikes came in and positioned themselves to kill off some Spiders. The Flyer flew up, unloaded the Warriors next to his Autarch/Farseer/Bike unit, and the Knight just positioned himself so AV13 was facing as much as possible. Knight killed off like an Spider because Flicker Jump and line of sight, but the Warriors and Flyer killed off all the bikes in the Autarch unit and my Tomb Blades killed off 4 Aspect Host Spiders. Charged in 5 Scarabs to help the Wraiths, but nothing happened except more Wraiths dying aaaaaaaaaa
    He got 0! Yay! More Spiders and Bikes came in while I popped the Solar Staff. Not all of them, but it was hard to keep track. Spider Deep Strikes surrounded my Knight, which was scary. Lucky for me, he shot them all at the Spyders, killing them. Which sucks, but I'd rather have dead Spyders than a dead Knight. My Tomb Blades tanked a unit of Jetbikes shooting and like 18 Spider shots, losing only 2 bikes. Which was sick, of course. The WK combat continues, he kills all the Wraiths off finally and all but one Scarab base... which keeps him locked in combat and not able to be shot by my Knight urrrrrgh.

I got another 2 for kill point and objective 2. Flyer flew off the board, everything just kinda repositioned. Knight shot off Spiders, having positioned himself to deny a lot of line of sight blocking. Tomb Blades shot at some bikes but did nothing, Warriors killed off a couple Spiders. Wraiths finally got into his WK, and did NOTHING AGAIN THIS FIGHT SUCKS.
    He got one point for kill point. We stopped keeping track at this point because it was obvious I was getting lots more than him. Everything came in because Turn 4 (nothing more depressing than already feeling behind and then 2 more units of Spiders come in) and unloaded into the Knight, dealing 5 Hull Points. Warriors and Overlord unit only takes 1 wound because Warriors are invincible. Wraithknight fight continues forever.

I got another 2 for posterity's sake. Flyer came back on, shot at some dudes but did nothing. Knight killed off 2 units of Spiders because now they were in the open and able to be deaded. Warriors shot off some Bikes. Wraiths FINALLY KILLED THE WRAITHKNIGHT AFTER BEING IN COMBAT FOR 7 ROUNDS THERE WERE ONLY 2 WOUNDS LEFT THIS WAS STUPID
    His turn 5 he kills off the Wraiths because now they're in the open. Of course. Fails to do any HPs to the Knight, which was lucky.

Game ends.

I won Maelstrom, he won Crusade. We both had Linebreaker (him with his whole army, me with one unit of Warriors that everyone forgot about). I got StW (the WK) and First Blood.
    Minor Victory!

The Knight is interesting in this matchup. He was big in hurting the WK hard early on, but then did very little until Turn 4/5. But, his presence basically forces the Eldar to stay in cover and off the board for the whole game, which lets me have much more board control and felt safe with a lot of units. The WK should have statistically died like T3 or so and killed way less dudes, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

For Papa Nurgle! What's the next expansion, something big like a Defiler or more Plague Marines?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    How many magnets, and what sizes, do I need for setting up 4 Cadian Heavy Weapons Teams to be adjustable?

Also the main turret on a Leman Russ Battle Tank.
    Small, i think mine for my Chaos Marines were 5mm, ill have to check.

Where are you sticking the magnet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Weapon teams are slightly complex, since they go together in a few different ways. The missile launchers share a bipod with the mortars, but are otherwise completely different. (The arms connect in different ways.) The bolter, auto, and lascannon all share a tripod, gunshield, and arms, but have different guns and ammo packs. If you're willing to ignore the ammopacks and gun shields, you should only need 1-2 magnets for each of those three (tripod, controls), but the other weapons are far more complex. (Two arms and bipod, plus ground for mortar.) I would personally suggest making a choice and sticking to it. (Missile launchers or lascannons.)

For Papa Nurgle! What's the next expansion, something big like a Defiler or more Plague Marines?
    My plague marines are Betrayal At Calth marines (hence the fluff) so I have four squads of seven and spares, which is plenty until apocalypse levels. Next purchase will be the Daemon Prince/Mortarion for the conversion contest, after that some Rhinos, and then probably some more long-range anti-tank - obliterators, land raiders, something like that. I also reckon I can have a half-decent 30K list with a single box of 30k marines (3x10 veteran squads, 1x special weapon squad, 1x heavy weapon squad, tanks, termies, dreadnought, Typhon.)

I'm also tempted by Warp Talons.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2016-07-09 at 02:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm also tempted by Warp Talons.
    If you're in a meta that allows you to play them without constantly feeling like you just threw away a significant portion of your forces (and it sounds like you are), then do it! They're such nice models that never get a chance to be fielded. Will also occassionally pull their weight and do something incredible every now and then.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

If you're in a meta that allows you to play them without constantly feeling like you just threw away a significant portion of your forces (and it sounds like you are), then do it! They're such nice models that never get a chance to be fielded. Will also occassionally pull their weight and do something incredible every now and then.
    They actually can be terrifying, its just kind of a pain to make them worth it. I recommend MoT on them as a 4++ is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Knight

Spoiler
    Show

Knight

Spoiler
    Show

C&C thx

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I beat 45 Warp Spiders with my Necrons!
    At first I was like 'Whoo!', then I saw that you were playing after the Errata, which means Warp Spiders took a nerf to the face. Still impressive though. Warp Spiders are still pretty good, even with the nerf.

i've moved to a much less competitive environment recently, so Jetbike Eldar and Drop Pod marines would at best make me That Guy
    You'd be That Guy anyway. Those are two of the best lists in the game.

There's a conversion contest coming up, and i'm thinking of converting a Morghast Archai into a Daemon Prince
    Sounds rad.

Knight
    HOT DAMN!
    The globes need better highlighting. I can strongly recommend the Gem Paints, but any highlighting would do.
    The huge flat piece underneath the console needs some love. A perfect spot for transfers if I ever saw one. I assume it's the same on the back side, too.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    At first I was like 'Whoo!', then I saw that you were playing after the Errata, which means Warp Spiders took a nerf to the face. Still impressive though. Warp Spiders are still pretty good, even with the nerf.
    That's how ITC has been playing it for way longer, though, so I'll take it
    He's still new to the list, so I'm sure he could have played better, but so could have I and I rolled like poop on top of it.

HOT DAMN!
    The globes need better highlighting. I can strongly recommend the Gem Paints, but any highlighting would do.
    The huge flat piece underneath the console needs some love. A perfect spot for transfers if I ever saw one. I assume it's the same on the back side, too.
    Thanks for the feedback! On the flat portion I was going to put up some ornamental Scarabs and paint them all bright Silver and Gold, I'm not really a fan of decals or freehanding.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I can strongly recommend the Gem Paints,
    Do you find they're substantially different from just using 'ard coat?
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Do you find they're substantially different from just using 'ard coat?
    Yes. It's just effortless to get nice looking gems with the gem paints;

- put silver on gem
    - let it dry
    - put desired gem paint on gem
    - let it dry
    - Done. Finished. Complete.

That's it, looks fantastic every time and takes 0 skill, effort or time to get a depth that 'ard coat never will. Also works a treat on cockpits, glass, eye lenses and any other smallish coloured reflective surface. If you want to be really fancy, use something like a bronze instead of silver to give it a warm(er) tone. I guess you could try putting 'ard coat over the top of the gems? But that's a whole 'nother step, a 50% increase! Unacceptable!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

C&C thx
    looks badass.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

C&C thx
    The metallic parts look great and the conversion itself looks pretty good, but the blue surfaces look a bit flat. Maybe you could add some decorations to the flat armour panels to break them up a bit?
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

C&C thx
    Very clean lines, very clean everything really. I like the color choices. For my taste it's too clean, would benefit from some stippling for small chips etc, but how worn to make a model is a matter of personal taste and necron's do generally seem pretty "clean". What you've done so far on the blue is pretty nice.

I'd probably do a bit heavier highlighting around the top of the model, try and get it so that the light/reflection is a lot more predominant along the top.

The base feels a little off, it's walking through snow right? Maybe some snow on the feet and on top of the rocks.