1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Assassin subclass features replace

I never liked mid-level Assassin features. With their downtime requirements and "you can do this" mechanics, they always appeared to me more like feats, or as designed for an NPC villain class. Definitely not for dynamic, action-packed class as rogue is. So, if you already read this, please spare a moment to look at my proposed replacements.

Clean job (9th)

When you attack surprised creature, you can knock it out instead of dealing Sneak attack damage. Creature makes CON save with DC = 8+your Strength modifier+your proficiency bonus, on failure falling unconscious until it takes any damage or someone uses an action to wake it up. Base weapon damage is dealt normally.

Atrocious attack (13th)
    Once in your turn, when you deal Sneak attack damage, you can roll all of the Sneak attack damage dice that scored 6 one additional time and add it to the damage you deal with this attack.
    Last edited by WrittenInBlood; 2016-06-13 at 01:16 AM. Reason: v.1.01 - Clean job nerf
    Bloody Brewery (D&D 5e): Elements monk as partial caster // 3.5 SRD Cleric domains overhaul // Bardic Music - Invocations-like songs // Chromatic Orb - retro style // Assassin features replace // Character sheet // Human alternative (5 subraces) // Way of Peace - monk subclass

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Assassin subclass features replace

Interesting options.

Atrocious attack at end game boosts damage by 5 & 5/6 on average (when you hit a sneak attack).
    That might be a bit much.

I do love the idea of Clean Job, I'm currently making some class feature alternate abilities, would you mind if I used it?
    Last edited by Final Hyena; 2016-06-11 at 11:38 AM.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Common Courtesy
    Show
    When asking for homebrew critique please respect everyone else's time by;
    • Stating which edition.
    • Telling us what you are trying to achieve.
    • Updating your OP.
    • Referencing non core content.
    • Making the formatting reader friendly.
    • Giving a direct link to your content.

Thank you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Go ahead, that's why it's here.
    Bloody Brewery (D&D 5e): Elements monk as partial caster // 3.5 SRD Cleric domains overhaul // Bardic Music - Invocations-like songs // Chromatic Orb - retro style // Assassin features replace // Character sheet // Human alternative (5 subraces) // Way of Peace - monk subclass

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Even disregarding the obvious concerns of changing noncombat abilities for combat ones, Clean Job has a few problems.

1. The DC can potentially be extremely high, since Str rogues are a thing. One could potentially be getting a DC of 23, when the DC of virtually every other ability in the game caps out at 19 without magic. I recommend changing it to the normal 8+Str/Dex Mod+Proficiency Bonus.

2. The effect on a successful save is a bit much - giving free advantage on all attacks against the target, making it fail all strength and dexterity saves, and stopping it from using reactions and legendary actions even if it saves, with no resource expenditure? Really? I recommend changing this to either simply having no effect on a successful save, or simply making the target lose its reaction for the turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    concerns
    You got the point. DC formula for Clean job was meant to connect it with Sneak attack prowess, but using proficiency bonus can reflect it as well. Maybe I shouldn't struggle too much to make my features mechanically distinct? And about effect on successful save, probably I let fluff to carry me off So, if target wins a save, is still surprised, thus negating his reaction is redundant. No effect on success seems OK.