New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Survival and Settlement (IC)

Yes... nods Earil. Well, at least for now we are safe and can begin working on our actual settlement.

The elf does not seem entirely convinced. He looks weary, exhausted. He leaves the bigger group to find Ars.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Don nadie View Post
    Yes... nods Earil. Well, at least for now we are safe and can begin working on our actual settlement.

The elf does not seem entirely convinced. He looks weary, exhausted. He leaves the bigger group to find Ars.
    Arsith is fiddling with some sort of rod she's inched into the ground. She gives it a kick, and it spins... slows... and points towards a card lying bedraggled in the dirt.

A sole number graces this lone tarot. Just a simple, golden "2".

Arsith lets out a friendly little smile. "Something here is pleased with us. With you."

For a moment, her eyes glint in that same distilled gold.
    Last edited by cecil1994; 2016-08-08 at 11:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Welcome to Level Two, my friends. Please enjoy your stay.

4. - Top - End - #244

Flumph

Earil smiles softly, exhausted.

I am not sure it's good to have... something local be pleased at us. I fear their kindness as much as I fear their wrath. But at least everything seems fine now. Safe.

He seems doubtful. Carefully, he puts his hands into a basin with some river water and washes the ashes and dust out of them. Then he passes the wet hands through his face, cleaning the sweat. He looks again at Arsith, one of his eyes now pale and drained.

I hope you are feeling alright, Ars, the elf finally says. He is frowning, looking at her with all the attitude of an older brother. We found something... Meant to stare into dreams, to act on them. I deactivated it. I'm still afraid this place will turn out to be even more unsafe for us. I am not sure what I've... lost back there. I don't know if we'll have to renounce to too much.

The elf sighs and shakes his head. He looks at the sky, at this place that can be as strange as it is beautiful.

At least we now have a true trove of books and papers. We may be able to learn much.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Earil smiles softly, exhausted.

I am not sure it's good to have... something local be pleased at us. I fear their kindness as much as I fear their wrath. But at least everything seems fine now. Safe.

He seems doubtful. Carefully, he puts his hands into a basin with some river water and washes the ashes and dust out of them. Then he passes the wet hands through his face, cleaning the sweat. He looks again at Arsith, one of his eyes now pale and drained.

I hope you are feeling alright, Ars, the elf finally says. He is frowning, looking at her with all the attitude of an older brother. We found something... Meant to stare into dreams, to act on them. I deactivated it. I'm still afraid this place will turn out to be even more unsafe for us. I am not sure what I've... lost back there. I don't know if we'll have to renounce to too much.

The elf sighs and shakes his head. He looks at the sky, at this place that can be as strange as it is beautiful.

At least we now have a true trove of books and papers. We may be able to learn much.
    Gentle snores interrupt your skygazing- in the middle of this, Arsith has fallen asleep.

She looks peaceful. Still, this is a bit rude.

6. - Top - End - #246

Flumph

Earil giggles and finds a blanket to drop on his friend. Then he shakes his head.

At least they're all still alive.

7. - Top - End - #247

In the top floor of the tower, Lena silently mouths questions to her poppet, pausing every few minutes as if listening to a response. After a long while, She stands up and mutters a few words in Necril. Her eyes cloud over like the milky white of a corpse. "Follow me J. Are you still here spirit? Come out....Come out.....wherever you are...." She softly hums and looks at her backpack before shouldering it, scans about the room, then proceeds downstairs, checking each floor and Muttering a few words in Necril along the way every couple of minutes.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Communing with familiar to renew spells for the day, preparing Detect Undead thrice and checking the corpse in my backpack before scouring the tower for that ghost swarm thing or any other lurking spirits. Perception roll: (1d20+3)[18]

Gonna try and enslave any if i find any. If not, back to the chickens!!
    Last edited by Feralgeist; 2016-08-10 at 08:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248

Flumph

The rest of the day, Earil tries to organize the pieces of parchment, shredded paper and half-burnt books. He knows he'll eventually be able to mend everything, and once or twice he tries to concentrate into it. His mind, however, seemes drained, unable to achieve the sort of connection with the psychic imprint of the objects that usually allows Earil to force his will against the rules of nature.

In his shuffling through what he picked so carelessly, though, the elf discovers a shard of mirror. He is not certain of where it comes from. Was the mirror not whole most of the time? He holds it against the light and sees the reflection of his own, newly pale eye. The elf shudders, his fingers shake, he feels a pull coming from it. The mirror itself was loaded with emotions, psychic energies which washed upon it once and again like the waves on a cliff. Like the waves, they left their mark. There are, recent, the layers of his worry for Aristh, of the fear of unknown forces from the entire settlement. There are lower layers of intrepid curiosity and boundless ambition. Earil is certain with some study he would be able to use this mirror, to extract from it power.

For the moment, he puts it in his satchel, safely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the next few days, Earil will take time from construction for two more tasks. First, he'll lean over the books and use as much time and power as needed to fix the pages. His will can force objects to become again what they once were, mending the cracks and the burns and the shreds. Hopefully, some texts can be recovered that he and the other settlers can study.

Secondly, Earil wans to dedicate some small amount of time to the study of the Oculus and the mirror shard. With sufficient concentration, he believes he'd be able to pull knowledge from both and to acquire a higher degree of understanding...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Acquisition of new implement: roleplayed.

I'd like to add two things for the next few days: repeated casting of Mending on the books and pages + use of my Object reading occultist power on the Oculus.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    In the top floor of the tower, Lena silently mouths questions to her poppet, pausing every few minutes as if listening to a response. After a long while, She stands up and mutters a few words in Necril. Her eyes cloud over like the milky white of a corpse. "Follow me J. Are you still here spirit? Come out....Come out.....wherever you are...." She softly hums and looks at her backpack before shouldering it, scans about the room, then proceeds downstairs, checking each floor and Muttering a few words in Necril along the way every couple of minutes.

Show
    Communing with familiar to renew spells for the day, preparing Detect Undead thrice and checking the corpse in my backpack before scouring the tower for that ghost swarm thing or any other lurking spirits. Perception roll: [roll0]

Gonna try and enslave any if i find any. If not, back to the chickens!!
    The tower is deserted. Whether that means the spirit is destroyed, departed, or something other is up for questioning- but as far as you know the tower's been cleared.

(It's available as a building now. Nice job.)
    The rest of the day, Earil tries to organize the pieces of parchment, shredded paper and half-burnt books. He knows he'll eventually be able to mend everything, and once or twice he tries to concentrate into it. His mind, however, seemes drained, unable to achieve the sort of connection with the psychic imprint of the objects that usually allows Earil to force his will against the rules of nature.

In his shuffling through what he picked so carelessly, though, the elf discovers a shard of mirror. He is not certain of where it comes from. Was the mirror not whole most of the time? He holds it against the light and sees the reflection of his own, newly pale eye. The elf shudders, his fingers shake, he feels a pull coming from it. The mirror itself was loaded with emotions, psychic energies which washed upon it once and again like the waves on a cliff. Like the waves, they left their mark. There are, recent, the layers of his worry for Aristh, of the fear of unknown forces from the entire settlement. There are lower layers of intrepid curiosity and boundless ambition. Earil is certain with some study he would be able to use this mirror, to extract from it power.

For the moment, he puts it in his satchel, safely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the next few days, Earil will take time from construction for two more tasks. First, he'll lean over the books and use as much time and power as needed to fix the pages. His will can force objects to become again what they once were, mending the cracks and the burns and the shreds. Hopefully, some texts can be recovered that he and the other settlers can study.

Secondly, Earil wans to dedicate some small amount of time to the study of the Oculus and the mirror shard. With sufficient concentration, he believes he'd be able to pull knowledge from both and to acquire a higher degree of understanding...

Show

Acquisition of new implement: roleplayed.

I'd like to add two things for the next few days: repeated casting of Mending on the books and pages + use of my Object reading occultist power on the Oculus.
    As the days pass, pages rejoin their bindings- the myriads book-shards come together into cohesive wholes. Or at least, they try to- you're left with only five completed novels. The rest of the parchment is assembled into half-tomes and cryptic letterings... but their other halves are no where to be found.

Post-ingot, the oculus appears safe for study. You're made aware that this machine drains the magic of its perusers- channels it into visions, sights across other planes and other times. If asked a question, however... the oculus will devour the dreams of enlightened to find the answer.

The ingot you find baffles explanation. Any divination effect you pass over it is sucked up, consumed in the metallic heart of this greened ingot. It seems to never fill.

10. - Top - End - #250

Flumph

Needless to say, before he shares what he's discovered with the others, Earil spends a bit of time shuffling through the complete books, trying to find out what they deal with.

Show

Will there be a language I don't know? :P We'll soon learn!

Also, I just realized I have for this type of things my collection of yellow-bound books about the Elder Continent. In case it matters.

11. - Top - End - #251

Lena sets up her wagon and animals down by the river, and with the help of her silent associate she lays out her anvil and tools. As the days pass she tends to her beasts and repairs basic necessities to those who need it, visiting the tower each afternoon to lend a hand mending books. At night, down by the river and under the never tiring watch of her minion, by the light of the moon and her magic, she takes out the stolen bones from her barrel and works at them under the button-eyed gaze of Simon, ever so carefully carving and chipping, muttering softly, bathed in the chill of her Aura. She infuses her tools with the void, chipping into the bone with excruciating precision all the while muttering small spells of mending to correct any errors.

Show
    Craft armor roll, if i have time to spend on it. Intending on crafting scale mail of bone. cost is 250sp. DC 14 (bone scale mail only has +4 ac and has half cost, but has the fragile quality and hardness 5.) the 1/3 raw material cost is 84 sp, a dead body is between 50-100gp on the market, so i was hoping that would cover it.)
    (1d20+10)[24]
    Last edited by Feralgeist; 2016-08-11 at 10:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

Arcturas

after the tense but monotome task of clearing otherworldly snake habitat mirror shards Arcturas settles into an uneasy state. for a few days he doesn't really undertake anything on his own instead he keeps a watchful eye on the tower and the camps perimiter.

When he sees someone trying to move something heavy he'll surely help. but atleast for a day or two the noble knight withdraws himself trying to decompress from the stress of battle.

When finally recent events start to fade somewhat Arcturas will involve himself with the city planning. Advocating for exploration and securing farmland so that the community can stretch their brought supplies longer.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Needless to say, before he shares what he's discovered with the others, Earil spends a bit of time shuffling through the complete books, trying to find out what they deal with.

Show

Will there be a language I don't know? :P We'll soon learn!

Also, I just realized I have for this type of things my collection of yellow-bound books about the Elder Continent. In case it matters.
    It's less languages you don't know (indeed, most of the tomes are written in Aklo)... it's the cramped and cluttered shorthand they're transcribed in.

You get parts of one book. It's a familiar tale- one of monsters, princesses, and magic. It's also a tale of cannabalism and narcissistic masochism.

This was not in the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    Lena sets up her wagon and animals down by the river, and with the help of her silent associate she lays out her anvil and tools. As the days pass she tends to her beasts and repairs basic necessities to those who need it, visiting the tower each afternoon to lend a hand mending books. At night, down by the river and under the never tiring watch of her minion, by the light of the moon and her magic, she takes out the stolen bones from her barrel and works at them under the button-eyed gaze of Simon, ever so carefully carving and chipping, muttering softly, bathed in the chill of her Aura. She infuses her tools with the void, chipping into the bone with excruciating precision all the while muttering small spells of mending to correct any errors.

Show
    Craft armor roll, if i have time to spend on it. Intending on crafting scale mail of bone. cost is 250sp. DC 14 (bone scale mail only has +4 ac and has half cost, but has the fragile quality and hardness 5.) the 1/3 raw material cost is 84 sp, a dead body is between 50-100gp on the market, so i was hoping that would cover it.)
    [roll0]
    Your eventual suit is morbid- a crackling mass of bound bones, each marred with the stench of the tower's magic.

When you finish the armor, you've no idea how you created it. The signature of one "June Norbertson" carves gently into its side. Was this your handiwork?

(Ok, who is ready for Building.)

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

The morning after the tower-raid.

Everyone is gathered around the oaken desk. The reddened poppies sway around you, painting the welcoming image of a sea of beautiful blood.

Abriana rolls out a piece of parchment. On it are the surroundings- notated, curated, and dotted with potential buildings. She looks up.

"Alright. We've a home to build. But before that... I'd wager it's time to pick a leader. In the interest of democracy," she rolls her eyes at this "we shall vote."

She straightens. "I nominate myself, of course."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

A few more faces emerge from the crowd.

The first to speak is a recognizable character- Denzel Daggertongue, husband to one Ellyeta Daggertongue and dedicated priest of Abadar.

"And I'll run as well. With the strength of Abadar, we may yet build an empire able to carve out a slice of normalcy in these bizarre lands. Stand with me and we shall build a theocracy- one of security and morality."

He coughs. "And we'll get filthy stinking rich, of course."

Another voice pipes up. (Well, pipes may be a misnomer. The graveled tones of Charn Bolo couldn't pipe if they tried.)

"Ethics and religion have no place in government. This is an outpost away from the restraints of society, and to limit ourselves by the conservative tones of your outdated idols is to ingest the opiate we left the archipelago to escape."

He smiles at the dwarven twins. "Not that there's anything wrong with opiates."

16. - Top - End - #256

Flumph

Earil frowns slightly, not comfortable with any of the choices. Most of the 'candidates' would have been willing to burn the books... Which turned out to be utterly silly novels, after all the trouble he went through, but still. It only shows to what extent they were afraid of this place... With that in mind, he steps forward.

I would like to nominate Arcturas, says the elf, calmly. He does not worship the rules above the good they do to a community. He is not stubborn in his ideas about what this settlement should be, and in our adventure at the tower showed a great openness to argumentation even in tense moments. In a place that will bring so much unexpected danger, a mixture of flexibility and a strong moral compass is difficult to find.

17. - Top - End - #257

Arcturas

surprised for a moment Arcturas composes himself gives a nod towards Earil and rises from his seat.

"Then I shall run for the position as well, Though I must confess this democracy business is somewhat alien to me." he pauses a moment to consider his words. "Every person deserves a second chance and a shot at redemption should they need it. That is what I envision this place to mean for us. a place where we can realise the dreams our old home could not facilitate.

I will take council whenever the situation allows for it, or give clear dictation when it does not. I will stand for your security but will not abide wickedness.

Together we can make this land a good land, and through our toils and hardships become a strong and just people"

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talvara View Post
    Arcturas

surprised for a moment Arcturas composes himself gives a nod towards Earil and rises from his seat.

"Then I shall run for the position as well, Though I must confess this democracy business is somewhat alien to me." he pauses a moment to consider his words. "Every person deserves a second chance and a shot at redemption should they need it. That is what I envision this place to mean for us. a place where we can realise the dreams our old home could not facilitate.

I will take council whenever the situation allows for it, or give clear dictation when it does not. I will stand for your security but will not abide wickedness.

Together we can make this land a good land, and through our toils and hardships become a strong and just people"
    At this, Khali grins.

You have my vote, Sir Knight. Glad to see someone else here believes in second chances."

Abriana stares you down, with nothingness resting in in her eyes.

19. - Top - End - #259

Lena wanders in towards the table shadowed by Mr J. He is now clad in white scale mail under his cloak and hat, His scarf is pulled down and his jaw gapes open. Small button-eyes and a leathery doll head can be seen inside the open teeth. The air slightly shimmers around Lena, her skin is pale as chalk and her eyes dark as wells. She places a piece of parchment on the table and looks around at the nominees.

She glances at the daggertongues. "There will be no theocracy." She stares into Bolos eyes, radiating evil. "Nor will we become a filthy, hedonistic backwater." She looks at Abriana. "We need somebody strong. Somebody we can all trust." She cuts her thumb and presses it to the parchment. The drops of blood spread into 6 characters, her signature. and dries instantly, beginning to glow with a purplish light. She slides the parchment to the middle of the table. "I believe Arcturas to be the most incorruptible. Abriana, you are clearly a strong leader, but i simply don't know your intentions. Arcturas has the potential to be a symbol for our people to rally to. A ruler who is simply good and wants what's best not for material gain, or for enforced order, but simply because its a good thing to do. A no nonsense leader, who can judge fairly and make honest, selfless decrees. I want us to be free, but not savage. My vote is for Arcturas." She gestures to the parchment. It says "Arcturas of westwell for ruler" and under her signature there are lined spaces for several more. She hands it to Khali and Earil to sign.
    Last edited by Feralgeist; 2016-08-13 at 10:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Arsith has been swaying with the dance of the poppies and the cadence of your voices. But at Lena's measured tones, she stops, opens her eyes, and trots towards the table.

She stops before the parchment. In her hand rests the crushed ichors of the poppy pods- and with them, she paints a looping signature across the page.

"Arcturas is a good man."
    She bounds away, laughing. "Or at least that's what they told me."

In the midst of this, Garavel (whom you hadn't noticed was even there, always the quiet one) pads up to the parchment.

She draws a piece of charcoal, and marks a few words- "I vote for myself."

She shrugs.

21. - Top - End - #261

Flumph

Earil shakes his head slowly, not really excited about Lena's show of magic. By now it is clear to all that he does posses a knack with the occult, but no one has really seen a single flashy spell coming from the elf. Nonetheless, he calmly traces his signature for Arcturas.

22. - Top - End - #262

Arcturas

Suddenly Arcturas holds up a hand as to signal for a pause. with a worried and stern glance he'll observe mr.J and Lena.

"Excuse me... but... miss Lena? is that a skeleton?"

Knowledge religion (untrained) (1d20+2)[3] ( what does Arcturas know off animated skeletons? their origins, their nature?)

He'll close his eyes for a second, focus his mind and slowly opens them again to look upon mr.j (Detect evil)

23. - Top - End - #263

" Since you ask, Arcturas, It is in fact two skeletons." She opens J's shirt to reveal the white mail, the filed pieces of the distinctive skull from eyeless skeleton of the tower arranged in a grim mosaic of scales in the centre of the chestpiece.
    She steps in front of Mr j slightly protectively.

"Like you said, everybody deserves a second chance. Try to look past the horror. Young Jonas here proved himself in the tower, so I've rewarded him with an upgrade. He's well on the path to redeeming himself, don't you think?."

24. - Top - End - #264

A hand slowly finds its way onto the grip of the warhammer on the paladins hip. "so... what you're saying is that these animated remains are... still a person? a mister Jonas?" a skeptical eyebrow rises. "if it is so then... yes redemption is sorely required. evil radiates from this... 'Jonas' I can feel it"

Arcturas will glance at the Daggertongues and Earil to gauge their reactions.

25. - Top - End - #265

"They're just bones full of energy, Arc. Every skeleton you see, their soul is either in the void or in the hells. The real Mr J led a horrible life and this is where it got him. As a barrow maiden i shoulder his sins and take them on as my own to the point that it taints my aura. Through my will he will do penance, and through my connection to the void his soul will be cleansed."

She sees his hand moving towards the hammer. "It's natural to be wary, but i assure you he is harmless. So long as i still breathe nothing I've bound has the capacity for violence unless i command it. My control over him is absolute."
    She smiles warmly. "If you have doubts, keep an eye on me Lord Westwell. Spend an evening at my fire, and we can discuss this further."

Spoiler: OOC: Bluff roll
    Show
    (1d20+4)[15]
    Last edited by Feralgeist; 2016-08-14 at 06:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266

the grip on the warhammer eases as Arcturas once again closes his eyes, focuses his mind and regards Lena in a new light (detect evil).

The nobleman will recoil slightly from what he detects and a hint of disgust can be found on his face which is quickly replaced by confusion. "so... a noble endevour then?" Arcturas furrows his brow and shakes his head in an admission of defeat.

"Well if this is your duty than I see no reason to interfere with it... however do cover up your ward, it will not do for potential visitors to mistake our settlement for a necromancers haven"

27. - Top - End - #267

Flumph

Earil sighs.

I am not keen on these type of creatures either. But Lena is right when she claims they are useful, and powerful. We'd never have made it out of the tower without her... companion. Still, I would encourage you to be careful Lena... We know the things in this land can easily twist power to their own purposes. I would not be happy to see this Mr Jonas under someone else's influence. I'd also encourage you to keep it outside of the main settlement unless we are in direct danger. I'd personally feel more comfortable that way.

28. - Top - End - #268

She nods at Earils' words "Thats probably for the best. I will be Riverside if any of you need me.She looks at the paladin. Come by later so we can do the measurements for your coronet."
    She addresses Earil. "Here, it's the best i could manage" She removes a small crate from her backpack, inside it is a large book with the title "Trans-dimensional stonemasonry. 86 ways to cook for a Xorn"

She opens the book, which has been hollowed out in the middle, the remaining pages bound together in a size to fit the green ingot. The edges of the hollow are lined with bone scales. "This should keep it from harming anyone"

She starts to wander off down back to the river
    Last edited by Feralgeist; 2016-08-14 at 07:09 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269

Flumph

Lena! Earil shouts from behind. Maybe you'd do best to wait for a moment till we've... discussed the other issues?

Once the issue of the vote is clear, the elf takes a step forward to address everyone with another piece of information.

Since Lena brought the topic... I have more information about the Oculus and what we found in the tower. First of all, the books I so eagerly tried to protect... Most of them are novels and fairy-tales, at least as far as I can understand them. The writing is somewhat strange, a shorthand that does not lend itself easily to decypher. If it is some hidden code of writing, I don't know.

As for the artifact... I am by now certain its main purpose is not that of dreams. It absorbs magic through this...
    Earil puts a piece of thick wool cloth in the table, it contains the ingot that was inside the Oculus. Carefully, he puts it inside the book with the cloth and lets the others look at it I have no idea what this metal is, but I can tell you that this is not an enchantment. No magic can simply resist every single attempt at discernment and divination, whilst dropping absolutely no magical aura whatsoever. Any type of... let's say "unnatural"... force that enters in touch with it is instantly absorved. Once it has absorbed magical energy, the Oculus can be used to obtain visions of other times and planes. It is by no means straightforward, and having experienced the effect of the ingot I can assure you it is tiresome... But not necesarily dangerous.

The elf hesitates, finally continues.

What is dangerous, however, is to ask the Oculus a question. If that happens... It will devour the dreams of whoever is using it and use them as fuel to find an answer. I... would hypothesize such use was what called forth the curse on the tower. But I cannot be certain.

He clears his throat.

Thus, I would like to ask permission to reassemble the Oculus temporarily. Not right now, of course, because I'd first like Lena to create a few special tools for a safe manipulation of the ingot... But eventually, and with some additional supervision. My plan is to put the artifact in action and try to obtain visions of this land's past, and specially of who built the tower. I believe that might give us useful information about what dangers may be waiting for us. The experiment will be conducted outside of our settlement, with Lena and whoever wants to join us to supervise the procedure and Mr J to protect us from any unexpected danger.
    Last edited by Don nadie; 2016-08-14 at 10:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270

Lena points Mr J between the ruts left by her wagon and says to the skeleton "Follow the path. Guard the wagon." She leans in close and mutters "Keep him safe, Si. I'll fill you in later." She waves at Earils shout and returns to the gathering alone.
    Hanging at the back of the crowd she watches the rest of the proceedings. When she hears Earils' plan she nods in agreement and scribbles some notes down on a scrap of parchment from her pack.