New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

eek Crunching the numbers: trying to figure out damage output on my build

Goliath Barbarian fighter build, armed with large spiked chain.
    Relevant feats are power attack, leap attack, pounce, shock trooper.
    Whilst raging (and by doing so achieving a 32 STR score) on a full attack after a leaping charge, with, for simplicity, a +2 weapon.

If I'm right, the damage would be as follows :
    2d6 (large weapon) + 2 (magic weapon) + x*3 (x being the value of power attack) + 16 (str*1,5).
    Is that correct? If so, say I power attack for 5 points, damage would be 2d6+2+15+16=2d6+33. Yes?

Now, what happens if I crit?
    Does it become 2d6*2+66?

And what if I have the valorous enhancement?
    Does a regular damage become 4d6+33 or 2d6*2+33? Does the 33 get doubled too?
    And how about the crit?
    What happens then?
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Crunching the numbers: trying to figure out damage output on my build

From the SRD
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is ×2.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.
    In your example, your damage would be 4d6+66 (roll the sword's base damage twice, rather than rolling once and doubling, and then add your static bonuses twice, once for each time you rolled your damage). However, if the weapon had the Flaming enhancement (+1d6 fire damage), that would only get rolled once, because of the "exception" line in the rules.

*edit* If the sword were Valorous, the damage would be 6d6+99 (because in D&D math, two doublings is triple, not quadruple, as the the text of the Valorous enhancement reminds you).
    Last edited by A_S; 2016-06-15 at 01:01 AM.
    Iron Chef!
    Score Archive (by OMG PONIES) • Iron Chef Deep Freeze (with fixed tables!)
    Homebrew:
    Bewildering Bladesman

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Crunching the numbers: trying to figure out damage output on my build

I take it then that a crit with a regular weapon and a non crit with a valorous weapon deal the same damage?
    Or is that an over-simplification?
    On a side-note, Goliaths can use large weapons without penalty... What's The reach of a Goliath wielding a large spiked chain? And, since the mountain rage variant actually increases his size to large, would that affect his reach further? And by how much?
    Would a mountain raging Goliath Barbarian be able to wield a huge spiked chain?...
    Edit: probably not, if the size increase replaces the powerful build trait altogether ... But, does it?
    Last edited by dehro; 2016-06-15 at 06:30 PM.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    On a side-note, Goliaths can use large weapons without penalty... What's The reach of a Goliath wielding a large spiked chain? And, since the mountain rage variant actually increases his size to large, would that affect his reach further? And by how much?
    The weapon size has no effect on reach. The goliath has a medium creature's reach when medium, and a large creature's reach when raging (and large).

Would a mountain raging Goliath Barbarian be able to wield a huge spiked chain?
    No. The ACF explicitly states that the goliath gains no additional weapon-related benefits when raging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The weapon size has no effect on reach. The goliath has a medium creature's reach when medium, and a large creature's reach when raging (and large).
    So.. 20 ft when large, or 15?
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

20ft when large - it's still a reach weapon, and reach weapons double your reach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I take it then that a crit with a regular weapon and a non crit with a valorous weapon deal the same damage?
    This is true if we're talking about a weapon with a 2x crit multiplier and no bonus damage dice (so it's true for the weapon you describe in the OP). However, by my reading, Valorous would multiply bonus damage dice (like from the Flaming weapon enhancement), while critical hits specifically do not do so.

A reach weapon, such as a spiked chain, doubles its wielder's reach. When large, a Goliath's natural reach is 10, so when wielding a reach weapon like a spiked chain, it doubles to 20. This is true regardless of the size of the spiked chain (though if the chain is inappropriately sized, there may be other penalties to worry about).
    Iron Chef!
    Score Archive (by OMG PONIES) • Iron Chef Deep Freeze (with fixed tables!)
    Homebrew:
    Bewildering Bladesman

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

yet another question...
    the transmuting property from the MIC is super juicy and probably worth taking on principle.. however I do have one doubt. The fluff goes on at length about the physical properties of the weapon, but says nothing about allignment. say an enemy has damage reduction that is not as much physical as spiritual, so to speak.. would the property still beat it?
    if my opponent's damage reduction can be overcome by good alligned or evil alligned weaponry.. does the transmuting property cover this?
    by fluff alone I'd be inclined to say no.. but..?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

At one point, I wrote out a very simple spreadsheet, for comparison purposes.
    It got a little more complicated over time.

The basic fields were:
    Your attack bonus.
    Your average damage (max dice + minimum dice values, divided by two, plus other bonuses)
    Your critical range.
    Your critical multiplier.
    The armor class of the opponent.
    Your power attack/deadly aim values (penalty to hit and bonus to damage).

If your total bonus is +10 (to hit) and your opponent has 20 AC.
    Then a 10 (or higher) on the D20 is a hit (or critical).
    And therefore a 9 (or lower) is a miss.
    Expressed as a percentage 0.45 (45% chance to inflict nothing).

If the character threatens a critical hit, only on 20.
    Then we have 10 through 19, as normal hits.
    That is 10 of the 20 numbers.
    And therefore 1 of the 20 numbers is the critical hit.

So you end up with:
    45% chance to deal nothing.
    50% chance to deal average damage.
    05% chance to threaten a critical.
    So that gives average damage x 0.50 = non critical expected damage.

Assuming your critical multiplier is x3.
    You will confirm the critical 55% of the time, and fail to confirm 45% of the time.
    Which means the x3 critical value is (in this case):
    (3x Average Damage) x 0.05 x 0.55 plus (1x Average Damage) x 0.05 x 0.45.

The power attack/deadly aim values modify this, of course.
    In Pathfinder (what our group plays) it is either on or off.
    There is no tweaking, to Power Attack for a two-point penalty when you're high enough for a three-point penalty.

Our group uses... just the dice increased on critical hits, not the bonuses.
    So if your damage were 1D12+19 (20, for x3) a confirmed critical would be 3d12+19, while most groups would be 3d12+57.

So not sure that my spreadsheet is necessarily the best for everyone.
    That said, it isn't that hard to construct your own.
    Or to more or less figure out your expected DPS for a given set of bonuses, against a target armor class.
    My spreadsheet shows expected DPS, both with and without Power Attack/Deadly Aim values, and sometimes it is beneficial to use those feats, but not always.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

yet another question...
    the transmuting property from the MIC is super juicy and probably worth taking on principle.. however I do have one doubt. The fluff goes on at length about the physical properties of the weapon, but says nothing about allignment. say an enemy has damage reduction that is not as much physical as spiritual, so to speak.. would the property still beat it?
    if my opponent's damage reduction can be overcome by good alligned or evil alligned weaponry.. does the transmuting property cover this?
    by fluff alone I'd be inclined to say no.. but..?
    Having just re-read the entry it definitely will take on the alignment requiremement as well. This facet of the weapons abilities is represented by the four gems on the hilt (diamond, jet, sapphire, ruby).