New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Plots 2: Electric Boogaloo

[Sam (And Alexia)'s Apartment]

"I'd love to check that out with you some time," she says, settling in as the movie starts up.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam and Alexia's Apartment

Sam blinks and considers things as the title screen comes into view, and being wholly unable to find a reason not to, takes a gamble and leans down to give Sherrel a gentle kiss on the cheek.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sam and Alexia's Apartment]

Sherrel looks up at him for a moment, and Sam can see the smile in her remaining eye, before she turns back to watching the movie. Seems the gamble paid off!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam's content to keep quiet during the movie, and waits until it's entirely over before saying anything.
    "I don't know about you but I thought that was decent. What do you want to do now? " he asks her.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sam and Alexia's Apartment]

"Actually, it's starting to get late," Sherrel slips off the couch and gives a stretch, which is a view Sam may appreciate (though somewhat obstructed by mechadrendrites), "I should probably head back home before too long."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam blinks. Right. That's a thing that happens at the end.
    "Oh, right. Yeah of course." he says, getting up and trying not to stare.
    "Call me some time, okay?"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam can hear that same smile in Sherrel's voice as she speaks, "Yeah, I had fun tonight." she pulls a datapad out of her robe without putting it on just yet, and taps away at the datapad itself, "What's your number?" she'll type it in, assuming he tells her, then she'll go about the process of slipping those robes on over her mechadendrites. "I had a lot of fun tonight, Sam. I'll definitely call you again soon."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

"Uh, here." says Sam, who will take the datapad and add his information himself.
    This is likely where Sherrel will find out his last name is Bacon. He's praying she doesn't comment.
    "That's really good to hear." he says sincerely, handing it back to her.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Sherrel will give him a hug, and then head out the door, "See you next time big guy!"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam is happy to return the hug. He hears that a lot, but it sounds nicer when she says it.
    He'll be keeping his phone very close for the next few days.

Outside Isaac's Home

And so our knucker slithers off into the night, looking for a hole.
    He has no idea where he's going. But that won't be a problem, right?
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2016-07-05 at 10:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Hole Quest]

Maybe it'll be a problem?

Hopefully the transformation will only last until the next dawn. Otherwise Issac is going to have some pretty major explaining to do.

Now then... where might he find a well? Probably not in one of the suburban parts of the city, that's for sure. He'll probably have to wander miles and miles and miles and hey there's one right over there under a chestnut tree in that nice little garden. Was there always a nice little flower garden surrounded by a neatly trimmed hedge by his house? Because apparently there's one now. Hopefully the well there is nice and deep. Flowers are growing in nice, even rows, with viney roses woven through the hedge surrounding the garden. Little benches have been set up here and there, along with a gazebo and of course the well under the chestnut tree.

There's also a trio of hideous goblins wearing patchwork, quilted armor tossing bound and gagged children through the entrance of the gazebo. Considering that the kids keep vanishing upon being hefted through, they must have turned its entrance into a Threshold.

"What's the boss want a buncha snotlings for, anyway?" one of the goblins with an outrageously large, lumpy nose grumbles. The creature honestly looks like an ambulatory potato with an attitude problem.

"I think he's just hedgin' bets at this point," the second replies. He's an awful, lanky, long fingered thing in a tattered old coat and tails with a bowler hat. He grabs two children, one in each hand, and shoves the wriggling kiddos through the Threshold. "Y'know, makin' sure this operation is gunna be right tidy."

"Yeah, I don't tink I ever heard of dis many of da Sidhe workin' on the same ting before," says the third goblin, with a protruding lower jaw, massive tusks, and huge owl-like eyes. He's standing watch, holding onto a gnarled oak staff crawling with gossamer that shimmer in the moonlight. "I hear say dat even The Morgwyn's in on it."

"Haha! If that damn cat is workin' on this too, it's gotta be a tidy plan," the lanky goblin laughs as another child is tossed through the threshold.

Well.

This sounds nefarious.

What is Isaac going to do?
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Hole Quest

Isaac slithers over to the well. His brow would furrow if he still had one. He thinks about it, and tries to sneak into the well!
    Where he can sling a blast of magic to make all the goblins into snails without them seeing him if he fails.
    Isaac really hates goblins.

13. - Top - End - #73

[Hole Quest]

Isaac slithers into the well! Turns out there's a massive grotto under the well in question that links up to an underground river. And there isn't even another knucker in this well already! Wow, what a stroke of good fortune! With the well now his, Isaac will be subjected to the rather weird sensation of getting quite a bit bigger pretty darn fast. Big enough for his serpentine form to safely slide out of the three-foot wide well mouth with a few inches to spare on all sides. Which, in short, means he's probably moderate sea serpent sized at this point.

Unfortunately, his well-diving doesn't go unnoticed.

"Oi, lads, a wee knucker just dove into the well. Look sharp," the owl-eyed goblins says, gripping his staff a bit tighter.

Aaaaand then comes the fairy magic.

Owl-eyes swings his staff like a baseball bat, sending the magic that had been hurled at him whizzing around through the air. Slender holds up one of the bound children as a shield, causing the poor kid to get turned into a snail. Potato-nose isn't quite quick enough, and now he's slowly sliming his way toward the threshold. Slender tosses the child (and snail) through the threshold and pulls out a pair of evil-looking obsidian daggers. "Time to carve up some snakes, is it. Tidy by me."

"He's hiding in dat damn well, gotta flush 'em out," owl-eyes replies as he waves his staff in a large arc above his head, the wood trailing shimmering gossamer, before swinging it in the general direction of the well. A point of brilliant white light leaps from the end of the staff, sputtering like a falling star. Upon striking the well, the water begins getting hotter very quickly.

Six children are left in the grass, bound and gagged.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Hole Quest

All he wanted to do was zap some goblins and then go back to sitting in his nice hole. You jerks. Isaac wriggles in an odd sense of satisfaction. He can barely even tell why, until his bag is now small enough to be slipped on his wrist. He can't even guess how long he's gotten. It's really rather hard to tell. Before his narrator had been using slither to describe motion more than the literal kind, but at his size he might be going around much more like a snake.
    "That's very presumptive!" he declares, popping out of the hole and spraying the place with a gout of completely illusory fire, wholly to distract them so they can't defend from his next attack.

15. - Top - End - #75

[Hole Quest]

The goblins begin flailing about, rolling around on the ground and yelling!

"Bugger me! I didn't tink knuckers could breath fire!" owl-eyes howls.

They can't, of course.

But Isaac's illusionary fire isn't made of gossamer, so the goblins are quite a bit less likely to notice since it isn't their sort of illusion.

Silly goblins.

The bound children, should they get any of the imagined fire on them, don't notice at all.

Because they can't see it, therefore it isn't.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Hole Quest

With them far too distracted by being "on fire," Isaac throws another wave of magic to turn them both into small crustaceans. Followed up by a crushing smash with his tail, regardless of whether or not that succeeds.
    Isaac really hates goblins.

17. - Top - End - #77

[Hole Quest]

A brutal execution!

Two crayfish and a snail are crushed into paste without much fanfare.

Now...

What to do about the bound and gagged children?

And what about the ones already tossed through the Threshold?

Issac will help them all.

...right?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Hole Quest

Isaac will yoink the goblin's magic staff. That seemed pretty nice. Then he slithers over to the kids.
    "Hello, children. I'm a big friendly dragon and I'm here to rescue you. Well...semantics. Close enough." he says, slicing through the ropes with careful movements of his teeth.

19. - Top - End - #79

[Hole Quest]

Big friends dragons really aren't a very weird thing around the Nexus. The kids don't object at all to being rescued. "Where's everyone else?" one of them asks, glancing around at the moonlit garden. "We were having a sleepover. Are they okay, mister dragon?"

Well.

There's a prickly question.

Are the children okay?

Are they being subjected to awful things on the other side of that Threshold like Twig was?

Or did they just get dumped into the wilds of the Dreamlands where they'll remain bound and gagged until something terrible finds them?

There's really only one way to find out...

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Hole Quest

Isaac groans. The guilt-tripping!
    "They got thrown into the other side of the threshold. They might still be at that entrance. I'll stick my neck in to check. I'd tell you to pull me out if I seem distressed but I don't think you could."
    And then?
    He shoves his head through the threshold.

21. - Top - End - #81

[Hole Quest]

How very brave of Isaac, sticking his neck out like this for the children.

At the very least, it doesn't look like he's peering into the Glade of something awful. Instead, it appears as a warped, surreal version of his own neighborhood with trees growing up through the buildings, roads replaced with swift flowing rivers, and cars with great mossy boulders. The trees stretch into the sky beyond sight, eternal twilight filtering down through diaphanous leaves and glistening gossamer hanging from their branches like spanish moss. The hedge surrounding the garden within the Dreamlands is a twisted, foreboding thing woven with roses bearing unnaturally long thorns. The dark is a bit deeper than usual, perfect for fire-fly pixies to to waltz through the cool air, dodging between drifting motes of gossamer.

There aren't any children to be seen on the other side, though flickering through the hedge Isaac will be able to see firelight and distant conversation. Mostly grumbling over how long Owlteeth is taking to get the rest of the children through.

That, and the muffled crying of children. There's another voice, too. Sweet and soothing. Almost motherly. It's hard to make out the words, but whatever it is sounds like she's trying to comfort the terrified captives.

Also?

There's a snail slowly sliming its way up a stone column of the ruined watchtower that apparently represents the gazebo here.

Apparently the kidnappers missed one.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Hole Quest

Isaac snatches the snail off the pillar and flows back into the waking world, depositing it on the ground and giving it a good zap. It should turn back into...hrm. Isaac really wasn't paying attention to what they were before. He'll just make them into whatever kind of person suits them. They can sort it out.
    "Go home, I'll get your friends. If your parents aren't home, go to a police station and wait there. It isn't safe to wait so close to here." he tells them.

23. - Top - End - #83

[Hole Quest]

And now the snail is a vaguely human-shaped raccoon. "Cool! Raccoons are awesome!" the child cheers.

Certainly beats being a gastropod.

The youngsters don't have to be told twice, they go running off to find some help. Or at least a decent place to hide until this all gets sorted out. That means Isaac doesn't have a whole bunch of children to keep an eye on. It does mean, however, that he's got a whole bunch of goblins to deal with. And possibly some non-goblins, too. At the very least, Isaac should probably try sneaking closer to the camp fire and listening in. He might be able to figure out what they're planning on doing with the children. And if knows that, he'll know whether or not he's going to need to call in some help on this one.

Or?

He could just slither back into his well and wait until morning.

Or smash the Threshold.

Let someone else deal with it. It isn't his problem, after all. Though that might just be grump knuckerness talking.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Hole Quest

Help? Who's he going to call? He's not having anything further to do with Yog if he can help it. And despite her opening statement, he doesn't think he can get that dragon to appear again.
    So it's up to him! He just wishes he could be more stealthy. Oop! There we go, he's shrunken himself down to a much more manageable size. With that, he can advance into the dream realm without being quite so obvious.

25. - Top - End - #85

Default [Hole Quest]

And so Isaac slinks back into-

[The Dreamlands]

The Weald. The Wood. The Enchanted Forest. Whatever name people picked for these awful, accursed wilds of the Dreamlands. Though they're likely preferable to the Glades of other more powerful, more unwholesome things. One is more likely to meet beasts and brigands here rather than demigods and monsters. Though that makes it no less dangerous.

Isaac will find himself surrounded by an endless, darkened forest of aspen, their stark white trunks reaching without end toward the eternally twilight sky. Branches heavy with leaves flutter high above, but there's no sign of the sky here. There never is. The forest floor is gentle enough, boasting rich green grasses and copious flowers in bloom. Roses, mostly. A ruddy crimson, the color of freshly spilled blood. They're brambling things with thorns like eagle talons and an intoxicating aroma. The ruined tower is still here. As is the hedge hemming in the garden. There's even a well, looking against all probability exactly as it had back in the waking world.

Was it always an aspen forest? Did their black spots always stare at him sightless, as though peering through flesh and bone to more ephemeral things beyond?

Probably best not to think about it too much.

The villains sound like they're camped just on the other side of the hedge.

Once Isaac creeps close, he can hear them just fine. They've kindled a fire near the edge of a crude road winding its way through the aspens, wagon ruts cut into the earth. He can see three creatures in the flickering firelight along with a large, ornate carriage. Two goblins. One... not. A redcap with a massive cudgel across his legs, a hulking bugbear, and a preternaturally beautiful woman who seems to almost glow with internal light. That last one is an elf, to be sure. And probably not one of those Tolken fantasy elves, either. The glamorous, enchanting, terrific sorts of elfs. The bad sorts of elfs.

Strangely enough, it isn't the elf that's singing to the children, it's the bugbear. Signing in a soothing, clean, feminine voice while gently running her massive digger claws through the snarled hair of one little girl like a child playing with a doll.

The elf is looking at the children in a predatory sort of way, not one ounce of her immortal beauty reaching her eyes.

"I'm telling you, Owlteeth shouldda been back by now," says the redcap, sounding like a grizzled old man and looking the part, too. "We should go check. Time's different between here and out there, but not that different."

"We're in no rush," the bugbear tuts. "Magh Meall isn't going anywhere. And I like children, especially nice quiet ones."

"They're only quiet because you terrified the little snotlings until they screamed themselves into a faint," the redcap grumps. "I swear, Bats, my ears are still ringing from all that caterwauling. We're lucky we don't have every beast in the weald sniffing around by now."

The bugbear grins at her fellow goblin with an awful, toothy grin. There's something intensely and innately unsettling about it, dredging up deeply ingrained feelings of primal fear and revulsion. Creepy enough to make a fellow goblin shudder. "I like this one. I think I'm going to keep her. A little changeling for me own self."

"Yeah, well, it's coming out of your cut of the pay, Bats. And where the hell is Otis? I swear, if that pook is smoking himself stupid again I'm going to drag this cart all the way to Magh Meall myself and leave him for the beasts."

The elf remains silent, quietly working on a scarf with a pair of gleaming silver needles.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2016-07-07 at 12:54 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

The Dreamlands

Isaac stares long and hard at the camp and then focuses on himself, drawing his power into a pair of bolts instead of the usual wave, launching it squarely at the face of the elf, who seems to be the most dangerous, and then the redcap. This time he's much more focused on what he's trying to do, and he's determined not to have his very potent magic batted away by some stupid magic item. With any luck they'll both turn into bivalves and leave him with just the bugbear to deal with.

27. - Top - End - #87

Default [Hole Quest]

[The Dreamlands]

Now there's a clam on one log and a scallop sitting on top of a rock. The scallop begins flapping through the air as if under water at an absolutely impossible speed, whizzing around so fast that the bugbear narrowly avoids getting brained when she ducks.

"What the heck?" the bugbear... well... kind of swears. She wouldn't use real profanity in front of children! That's a terrible thing to do and everyone knows it. She leaps to her hoofed feet, cow-like tail lashing behind her. The unconsciously little girl is still held, though now more protectively. Bats has turned herself to the side, shielding the child from whatever direction she seems to think the attack might be coming from. And then-!

She just stands there.

Panting.

Huffing.

Sniffing at the air as her eyes rove the darkness beyond the firelight, eyes burning like torches.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

The Dreamlands

Isaac feels a little bad about being mean to the bugbear who's kind of nice, comparatively. Maybe she can be something not ugly, like the cow her tail belongs to. Isaac tries to place an illusion of a calm, elven-looking wizard walking out from the side opposite him.
    "This is not your fight, goblin. These children are going home tonight, not to whatever foul master you serve. Walk away and no one else has to get hurt." says the illusion in a fine Welsh accent.

29. - Top - End - #89

Default [Hole Quest]

[Dreamlands]

Like Tolkien sort of elves? Considering the Nexus is nearby...

Bats snorts at the illusion. "I'm not serving anyone but me own self. Leave someone else to grovel and scrape for the Sidhe. This is just business, pure and simple. That, and I fancy a child of my own. A wee little bugbear to teach how to make humans terrified. Best kind of mother to daughter bonding if you ask me."

Her eyes turn, her head twists 'round. Quite a bit further than a neck should, really. It looks rather disturbing. Especially that sickening POP at about three quarters of a rotation.

"Now, where are you hiding at, wizard? Your seeming hasn't got any stink to it, but I don't smell you, neither. So you must be hiding down wind?" she asks, her head coming to a halt facing in Isaac's general direction. "That's quite the hex you're tossing around. Think it'll be quick enough to catch me on me hooves? What would you wager on that?"

That would be a bluff.

Bugbears are not particularly swift. Unlike that red scallop flying all over the place.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2016-07-08 at 12:13 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

The Dreamlands

"What would I wager? How about your head?" the illusion taunts, and Isaac launches another bolt of transmutation at her. He's running out of steam; this one's just a major shrinking hex. He wants to just grab these kids and go home.