New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [Hole Quest]

[The Dreamlands]

"They wouldn't know how to GET back home," Tim replies with a huff. "They would just get lost and something would gobble them up. Bats puts them in cages so they'll be-"

And then he stops.

The cart ceases to rattle as it's pulled down the cobblestone road, too.

As a matter of fact, a spooky looking lantern hanging from a wooden peg on the wagon's roof supports has halted mid-swig, the roiling green faerie fire within pausing mid-flicker.

All around, tiny motes of golden sand have begun falling on everything, drifting down like snowflakes and settling across every surface like a coating of dust. It isn't accumulating particularly quickly, but the effect is absolutely unmistakable. Sand like polished brass, glittering, shimmering, smothering with warmth. On everything. Everything but Isaac. All sound has stopped, too. The creak of wood. The rattling of stones. That weird frog in the jar that wouldn't shut up. Even Kneecapper's constant, muffled complaining from outside has fallen silent. Isaac may suddenly become keenly aware of his own heartbeat.

Silence makes the noise approaching the wagon all the more apparent.

Tick-tock Tick-tock Tick-tock Tick-tock Tick-tock Tick-tock Tick-tock Tick-tock...
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2016-07-10 at 11:41 AM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Plots 2: Electric Boogaloo

The Dreamlands

Isaac leans back in the seat, afraid more than anything else in the day aside from the flashes of blinding horror from Bats' blows.
    "Ye gods, I'm in over my head. Za warudo..." he mutters, tapping the back of his head against the wall of the cart. He's terrified, but he's also not an idiot. No matter what is coming at him, running out of the cart would be suicide for at least six different reason. He snaps his fingers, but nothing happens. His magic isn't around to help, either.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #123

Default [Hole Quest]

[The Dreamlands]

The cart door opens seemingly of its own accord, giving Isaac a good view of the drifting sand settling upon everything, building up into little windswept dunes. They aren't in the forest anymore, rather they're passing through a great, flat fen dotted with pools and moss-covered limestone boulders. The road is built up atop a dike of sorts to keep it out of the water and in spite of that Isaac can't see very far; thick fog obscures vision beyond fifty feet or so. Everything outside the cart appears just as frozen as everything inside it.

And the strange noise continues.

Tick tock Tick tock Tick tock Tick tock Tick tock Tick tock Tick tock Tick tock...

Like the cadence of an old pendulum clock, but something about it is quite uncanny.

Whatever is making the noise is still out there, but it doesn't seem to be coming any closer.

Tick tock Tick tock Tick tock...

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

The Dreamlands

Isaac sighs. Clearly Bats isn't coming to save him. Waiting isn't going to help either. He slides out of the cart, trembling a bit.
    "So, someone wants to say hello?" he says with the most nervous smile he's ever worn.

5. - Top - End - #125

Default [Hole Quest]

[The Dreamlands]

Isaac steps onto the gravely, cobbled rode and finds that the rest of the party is frozen as well. Glittering sand has collected all over Bats' head. It's thick atop the canopy of the wagon and has filled the cracks between the road's stones. There's a strange figure out there in the mist, prancing across the surface of a still pond in clock-like cadence.

Tick tock Tick tock Tick tock...

The silhouette is quadrupedal, that much is clear. And not much bigger than a calf. Upon spying Isaac it pauses briefly...

...and then things get weird.

"Bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum. Buum~"

At each 'bum' the creature seamlessly shifts from one boulder to the next like a bad cinema cut, striking a different silly, frolicking pose at each one.

"Bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum~"

It looks like a strange cross between a calf, a lamb, and a goat, all long and leggy. Its wool is short, curled, and white, though is a noticeable silver sheen to it. Its cat-like mouth is pulled into a perpetual grin, though stretched to fill out its long muzzle full of jagged teeth. Its tail is cow-like, though likewise covered in short wool and nearly four times the length of its whole body. The tail ends in a tuff of hair woven into stylized whirls. Two long, floppy ears flank a pair of stubby little horns. Wide, dark eyes full of mirth, youth, and mischief settle on Isaac. Around the creature's neck is a collar with three ornate bronze cylinders with an hourglass motif hanging from it. They jangle softly like wind chimes, each leaking wisps of golden sand. Woven into the tuff of hair at the end of its tail is a bronze disk that looks like it was pilfered from a grandfather clock.

"Mister Sandmaaaaan~" the creature sings, suddenly manifesting on the road and skidding sideways up to Isaac upon two hooves, his head held high at a jaunty angle. "Bring me a dream~"

"Bum bum bum bum~" He once again flits about, each time with the top of his head pressing against Isaac from a different angle. One of them being upside down hanging in mid-air forehead to forehead.

"Just not a nightmare makin' me scream~"

"Bum bum bum bum~" the creature cuts away, now a dozen paces down the road from Isaac. He's hunkered down like a dog wanting to play, his tail swaying back and forth behind him like the arm of a metronome.

"Make the dream sweet, like roses and clover~" Flowers and foliage burst from the ground around Isaac, rose brambles wrapping around the wagon wheels as blossoms open in the perpetual twilight.

"Bum bum bum bum~" the creature flits forward again, having suddenly swollen in size to match a large horse. Isaac may be surprised to find himself seated on the fae's back.

"Let the Sleepers know their lonesome nights are over~"

The music and the 'bums' continue to play in the background without the creature's intervention.

"You must be Isaac!" the strange creature says, his voice sounding for all the world like a playful child. "I've seen you at Zacs, but I don't think we've talked yet. Congratulations on becoming Lucid without getting utterly messed up by awful fae!"

This close to the creature, Isaac will be able to get a taste of its power. While Forte's magic was potent and wild, it was experienced. Whatever this thing is, it feels ancient beyond reckoning.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

The Dreamlands

Why is it always cow-tails tonight? Isaac wonders to himself. Then immediately goes to hoping this thing can't read minds. Is this what the books call a Sidhe? If it can stop time within the Dreamlands at will, it must certainly be approaching that level at least.
    And then suddenly he's sitting on it, and he has to swing his legs to avoid losing his balance and falling off.
    "I, uh, thanks. I don't suppose you're here to tell me what Bats wanted to show me and then just send me home? Clearly you came here for something." he says sheepishly.
    That was a pun.

7. - Top - End - #127

Default [Hole Quest]

[The Dreamlands]

"You're welcome! You know, I don't get many visitors from the Nexus out here," the Sidhe replies, glancing back and forth furtively. "Between you and me, I don't get many visitors period. My Dream Glade really isn't all that much fun. Do you have any idea how boring mining sand is? Super boring. But if anyone from back home wanted to stop by, I would love the company! I've got more than enough shovels for everyone!"

Oh.

Yes.

That certainly sounds like a fun time.

Isaac may notice that the strange creature's short wool provides a sensation not terribly different from sinking into the most comfortable bed ever.

"Oh, haha, here I am being a giant derp. I do my fancy introduction and I don't even bother introducing myself. I've been using the name 'Maph'tey' around the Nexus for a long time. Y'know, like since it was a thing. I provide sudden bouts of sleep and dead time! It's a very important service that goes largely underappreciated. That and the whole linking mortal minds to the Dreamlands while they slumber so they don't go insane deal. That's also a thing I do. Sorry about the eye-gunk from the left over dream sand when you wake up, by the way. I still haven't figured out how to fix that," Maph'tey rambles, trotting around in a little circle with Isaac on his back. The weights around his neck continue to chime musically while his hooves click out a tick-tock rhythm. "To your question, can't I just stop in to congratulate you? I thought you could use a little bit of company from somewhere a bit more familiar. Why do you ask? Do you want me to bail you back home? Because I could. I could tell you what's going on, too. Why the Sidhe are ramping up their kidnappings and why lucid mirages are going to start popping up around Inside in the next few weeks. I know about aaaaaaaaall of that stuff. But you might want to go see Magh Meall! It's a pretty cool place."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Dreamlands

Isaac leans forward onto his scarily ancient steed so he can rest his arms. And also so he's more on eye-level with the fae because it seems rude to be talking to someone physically lower than you, even if the fae clearly chose to appear under him. Isaac really can't help it either, he's just so incredibly tired.
    "Well, that sounds like it's pretty important, Maph'tey. People should appreciate you more. But um, I'm a human in the dreamlands, after all. You should know how much danger I'm in. I think if you can tell me about the Sidhe's plans and send me home, that would be the safer option. But then I'd still be in Bats' debt. Or, would the debt be transferred to you? She promised to help me escape, so would me escaping on my own count? I don't know, but I don't want her knocking on my door." he tries to explain as politely as possible.

9. - Top - End - #129

Default [Hole Quest]

[The Dreamlands]

"You sure are! A human in the Dreamlands with an oath sworn to get you home safely," Maph bleats in reply. "Bats is pretty well respected in Magh Meall. And she can't break an oath. You should be just fine. The Dreamlands are dangerous if you fall in with the wrong crowd, but you got pretty lucky. If you felt like seeing Magh Meall, I think it would go just fine. But if you wanted to head home now, I could help. But you're right." Maph leers a wide, toothy grin. That mouth of his stretches quite a bit wider than what one would expect of any normal animal. "If you leave now, Bats will still own you. And she promised to free you once she helps you escape at Magh Meall. So if you leave now, you'll have already escaped and she could come collect you. You would belong to her and there's nothing you could do about it. And since you would have already escaped, her oath to you would be void."

His neck stretches oddly so he can place his forehead against Isaac's to look him straight in the eye.

"And what would happen to you after that? Human slaves in the Dreamlands never stay human forever. Nope! And not even someone like me can break a life-debt. But sure! I can take you back home!"
    Maph laughs, a cackling laugh that sounds like a cross between a bleat and a bray. "Want me to, still?"

Hmm...

Probably not.

"If you do decide to stick around, I'll come find you once you're back in the Nexus. There are some auspicious things afoot, and people in the Waking World need to get ready."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Dreamlands

Isaac slumps. Maph is right. "You're right."
    Yes we knew that, Isaac. "Just let me go, then, and I'll see you sometime after I get home. Thanks for the visit, and the word of confidence. I do feel a little better, I guess." he says, sincerely. He's sure this fae has an ulterior motive, but he's just happy for some kindness, ploy or not.
    "I'm guessing you're doing the 'I'm one of them but I don't agree with their goals' shtick?" he asks Maph.

11. - Top - End - #131

Default [The Dreamlands]

"Haha, of course I'm right!" Maph laughs. "If you like, I could see if Bats will sell you to me. That would remove her ownership on you. And she might even do it, too! I'm pretty sure I'm near the bottom of her hate-list when it comes to Daoine Sidhe. But you probably don't want that, either. After all, you shouldn't ever trust a Sidhe. We're way too old and way too weird."

To prove his point, the hedleykow puffs his cheeks, lolls out his snake-like tongue, and crosses his eyes in an altogether juvenile fashion. Then, quick as a whip, he bucks Isaac from his back, catches him with his tail, and sets the lad gently upon his own two feet. "And it's something like that, yeah. Thing will be bad if what's going down happens, I can give you details later."

Maph sits down on his haunches and reaches a front off up to his wool, the hoof becoming more hand-like before Isaac's very eyes. The wool weaves itself into a little bracelet with a tiny brass charm hanging from it. The charm depicts the face of a hedleykow sticking his tongue out playfully. This boon is offered to Isaac.

"Here, if you're ever in trouble, and I mean real trouble, break the charm off the bracelet and throw it on the ground. I'll be at your side quick as a blink," Maph says. Then he adds with a rather mischievous grin. "But only use it if you really really really need to. Because if you DO use it, you'll owe me twelve days worth of work to be paid off whenever I wish. Once you're back in the Waking World I'll see you at school. We can chat at the library."

Wait.

What.

WHAT? Maph'tey goes to Isaac's school? How could anyone have possibly missed that?

Before Isaac can ask for clarification, Maph takes a deeeeeeeeeep breath and blows a billowing cloud of glittering sand in Isaac's general direction. Should he be overtaken by the cloud, the next thing he'll know-

"-safe from all the scary stuff that lives in the wilds of the Dreamlands," Tim says, failing to miss a beat from their earlier conversation. Isaac will be back in the cart as if nothing had happened. Though he should still have the charm bracelet.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2016-07-10 at 09:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Dreamlands

Isaac lets out a yelp as he's bucked but is thankfully caught by the nice Sidhe, who he really hopes is really nice and not just messing with him as a tool.
    "Work? At your...sand mine? Yeah, okay. " he says, and is promptly restored to the cart!

"Yeah, uhuh." he mutters to Tim and leans back. Can he just go to sleep until they get to Magh Meall? This has gotten even crazier.

13. - Top - End - #133

Default [The Dreamlands]

Oh certainly.

Isaac can get all the sleep he wants. Sleep is quite possible in the Dreamlands. The only difference between sleeping in the Waking World and sleeping in the Dreamlands is that you end up in someone else's dream as a background character rather than in one of your own dreams.

How weird!

Isaac will find himself in a large crowd at a concert listening to some random person he doesn't know recite the periodic table of the elements, but their teeth start falling out half way through and then they jump onto a rocket powered lawn chair and zoom away. Dreams sure are weird.

When he comes to, he'll find himself alone in the wagon.

Well.

Not totally alone.

There are those other caged children who are still asleep. And that weird horned frog with the swirly eyes. But other than that? Totally alone.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

The Dreamlands

Isaac frowns and stands up, taking a moment to stretch and get his glasses on before peeking out of the opening of the cart, if he can. Is he supposed to see the city now? Or is he supposed to be waiting for Bats to do something? He really wishes things were more spelled out. At least he has clothes and sleep. He wonders what time it is in the waking world.

15. - Top - End - #135

Default [The Dreamlands]

Have you ever seen pictures of the Kowloon walled city? Of countless squat boxy little buildings stacked atop each other like like a giant's building blocks? Of walls stretching so high to either side of the narrow roads that you can't see anything beyond the concrete, corroded bronze bars, and flimsy wooden boards. And endless sprawling ramshackle city that creeps both upward and outward. Fae of all sorts are bustling about, buying, selling, fighting, shouting, living, dying, and generally adding nothing but more chaos to the already chaotic location.

The cart is parked along one of the wider streets, its side open wide revealing goods for sale despite somehow failing to show off the interior of the cart. The elf is out there, calling sweetly to passers by and extolling the value of Bats' rare and peculiar wares. Countless other carts, booths, and hastily assembled tables along the street have other fae plying similar trade. What a crazy place, right?

"So, you're awake."

Bats' approaches the wagon's door from the far side of the vehicle, giving Isaac an appraising look.

"So, you ready to see first hand what's goin' on here?" she asks. "Or are you going to snooze some more?"

Hmm...

'Snooze some more' is probably the wrong answer.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

The Dreamlands

Isaac looks up at Bats with a frowns, but lets her comment go. Despite the fact that he would love to inform her that since he was locked in a wagon snoozing was honestly the best option. But anyway, moving on.
    "Yeah, I'm ready. What's first on the list?" is his response.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Green Meadow Art Museum]

Alexis does know how to get there. It's just a walk down the road. Maybe a long walk, but still.

Inside, you see, is in another country. The museum is merely in a city large enough to have a museum. And perhaps the road there is a bit shorter than it ought to have been, given how far they walked. A bit of magic.
    The museum is a large, brutal building, dizzying in its height and its many mazelike wings. A banner out front announces the collection of sculptures that's the current feature. Artists and styles from all over the worlds!

And there's a little bit of walking still to do.
    "I think you would be fine at making friends if you tried."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Green meadow Art Museum

Sarina shrugs bashfully.
    "If you say so. I've never really had luck with it before. What do you know about this place?" she asks as they head in.
    Hopefully there aren't many stairs.

19. - Top - End - #139

Of course there are stairs! Did you see how tall this place was? But they're all marked 'Employees Only' so it'll probably be fine.

"Not much, really. But it's just a museum. They're kinda of all the same, right? Except for what they're showing."
    Alexis steps up to the receptionist and gets two passes (you don't get tickets to a museum) and leads them through the double doors to the actual exhibits, where they're greeted by a lot of fake-artistic white marble.

"It's more about persistence than luck."
    Or so she hears.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Green Meadow Art Museum

Sarina looks around at the museum's foyer.
    "Well, so far it looks ok. You know if they have anything exciting?" she asks, looking around. A gorgon going to see statuary sounds like a good joke, but probably in bad taste. She'll keep it to herself.

21. - Top - End - #141

There is, of course, a connection. It's cliche for a reason. And it would definitely be in bad taste.
    "What excites you?"

Alexis looks over the stone figures: almost all humans posing, lounging, and otherwise standing around. Some are more true to life than others, which provide only a suggestion of form.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Green Meadow Art Museum

Sarina stops to ponder the question and failing to come up with a good answer can only shrug.
    "I dunno. Maybe something special somehow? Art is hard to classify before you see it, I think." she admits.

23. - Top - End - #143

Alexis nods at a white marble statue of a tearful child, its expression of sorrow perfectly captured.
    "That's just someone who's been petrified and put on a stand. Don't see that every day."
    She says this with a hint of a laugh.

Off the next room there's a curtained doorway marked 'Enchanted statues. Enter at your own risk.'
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Green Meadow Museum

Sarina gives Alexis a disapproving look. "Come on, don't make jokes like that about kids. Let's go see the magic statues." she says, pointing to the curtain.

25. - Top - End - #145

"Oh!"
    An offended squeak from Alexis, and she reaches out a hand to the statue. Which is about to trigger one of those 'you are too close to the display' beeping sounds.
    "Eyes of my mother, turn away. Alithine."
    The statue starts to crumble, stone flaking away to reveal skin and cloth and a living kid still in the middle of wailing and crying. But that's not their problem. The priestess takes Sarina's hand and leads her through the doorway.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Green Meadow Art Museum

Sarina's eyes go wide, and she sputters as she's pulled through the door.
    "Wait, wha- Alexis, how many of the statues are people?" she asks as they enter the next room.

27. - Top - End - #147

"Barely any of them."
    "With statuary, you want to be 111% realistic, impossibly perfect, or 50%, very stylized. Carvings that are almost there but not quite are creepy, and works that are exactly right are universally fakes. It's easiest to tell looking at their eyes and hair. You know how hard it is to texture a lens or the spaces between hairs?"

She waves at an elongated six-pointed figure of chipped obsidian, almost springing off its plinth in a predatory lunge.
    "Now look at that thing. I can't even tell what animal it's supposed to be. Can you?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Green Meadow Art Museum

Sarina nods. "That makes sense. This thing, though? Uh, I don't know. Maybe it's a starfish or something. I've got no idea, really." she guesses, giving up with a shrug.

29. - Top - End - #149

"Huh. I thought it was meant to look like a shark. Anyway, it's neat."

Alexis leans in and reads the description.
    "Says if you touch it it'll come off the stand at night and track you down. Not why."

There's a tall bronze piece, a muscled warrior fighting off a pack of toddlers. Supposedly prevents fires.
    A large rowan-wood sculpture of a weasel with a battleaxe in its mouth. 'Unknown abjuration magic'
    A marble judge holding out a pair of scales. His eyes are definitely following you around the room.
    A little glass snake in a larger glass case. 'Venemous, DO NOT TOUCH'. Oddly enough, it depicts a normally harmless corn snake.
    A battered but easily recognizable Magtok seemingly assembled out of junkyard trash. 'Touch for good luck'.

And another curtain separating it from another room with other such things.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Green Meadow Art Museum

Sarina inspects the statues.
    "I don't think I'm going to be poking any of these, good luck or abjuration. They are interesting, though. Well made, though I can't see why you'd enchant statues like this. I guess it might be useful in a densely visited area like the temple. I dunno. Nice to look at, at the very least." she says conversationally.