New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

sides, if you associate 'masculine' with testosterone, and 'feminine' with estrogen, you could make a very easy argument that elves have low testosterone regardless of gender since they are seen as more feminine. This could actually lead to some interesting theoretical analysis of their fantasy psychology based off of the research on the long-term effects of testosterone (mostly correlations, and thus non-conclusive), but I'll make a simple anaylisis and say that since all elves are typically portrayed as less masculine, that all elves have a lower average level of testosterone, and thus as an elf, V thinks of most human men as being 'masculine' since, compared to almost any elf, almost any human man IS masculine.

... ok, that was a long psuedo-scientific rant, and I think I looped myself, so recap: elves tend to be portrayed as being feminine, as such V. can (almost) safely assume that a human man will be more masculine then himself.

Note: my use of himself and other pro-nouns in regards to V. does not indicate any belief of V.'s gender that I may have. I'm just lazy.
    What\'s the CR on a religion?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I say hermaphroditic...

ok ok I know it sounds stupid, but I just had to post something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's nothing to see here. Move along

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Demiplane
    Simple.

Varsuvius is a guy. Otherwise, he would have been 'Varsuvia.'

Who say's its a second declension name? It might be third or fourth declension, which would make it neuter. Or it could just be irregular. Or I could be completely overanylizing this :).

Real wizards use staves

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Touche, Finwe.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Ha, time I finally posted in this crazy topic.

Arrogance, garrulousness, long pretentious rants? Oh man, I sure know members of both sexes who do that. ::waves::

Likewise, mocking "masculine pride"? That's just being smart and tactless, not gendered.

Haley's roommate? V is Haley's best buddy in the party, so they room together. And Haley's not the most uptight of women, either, one gathers. Moreover, V is married -- maybe elves are properly monogamous and thus it's a non-issue, who knows?

-us ending? Well, Finwe nailed it. No need to say more.

I also liked the point about V's player not bothering to figure it out; I didn't settle on a gender for my last character until I picked a relevant and mellifluous Quenya root for the name and decided that the -on ending sounded better.

You're all on the wrong track here: elves clearly just don't care about that, unlike you silly humans. And I'm *positive* that V's spouse is equally ambiguous, and possibly biologically the same, just by the Giant's unbreakable rules of AWESOME.

Doctor, on the other hand...you rock like whoa. As does V, who is indisputably hawt (but that's another thread). W00t, genderqueer for the win. ;D

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finwe
    Or I could be completely overanylizing this :).
    Everything worth analyzing is worth over-analyzing.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Default What OOTS characters Think V Is

Male
    Roy (#9)
    Elan (#87)
    Nale (#252)
    2 Azure wizards (#306)

Female
    Potion seller (#135)
    Dwarven assassin (#240)
    Sabine (#252)

Unclear
    Horse valet (#173)
    Belkar (#177)

Score: 4-3-2
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

New (old really) fuel for the fire. I was looking back through the "origins" thread on the first page, and somebody linked to the ORIGINAL OOTS thread. And on this page, 4th from the bottom, Rawbear makes this assertion:
    Sorry, Bogotter, I don't know if Rich was using these when you guys played years ago, but he's been using stick figure minis against us for a while, and i've come to learn that all of his female avatars have apparent breasts.

If you take a gander at http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb...tion=display;n um=1060497491 you'll notice this. Even the Dwarven Female in full plate has them :) Varsuvvius has a rectangular torso, he's a dude :P
    Then right below that, The Giant responds with:
    You don't know that. You are only drawing that conclusion based on previous examples. For all you know, I deliberately decided to create a sexually-ambiguous elf; in such a circumstance, I would clearly break my own "rules" on how I drew them. :P
    Except there has been quotes since then saying that V's ambiguity was NOT intended (somebody please re-link that... I suck at searching), but rather something he saw on the messageboards, and then ran with.

Nothing's conclusive (or this debate would never have gone on this long), but this is definitely more fuel for the "V's Male" fire. Or at the least, originally INTENDED to be male.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, isn't it annoying when induction doesn't work? Specially since thats what almost all of our scientific knowledge is based on?
    What\'s the CR on a religion?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Only thing I have to say is V's always struck me as a female charecter. Mainly because she bunks with Haley.
    The earth is calling... Come in please!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Am I the only one who almost hopes we never find out (or at least not until the very end)? There are so many absolutely hilarious situations this debate can get the OOTS into, and the Giant's touch with the whole issue is so fantastic, I'll be just as happy with the mystery.

Also, I wonder if V is deliberately hiding his/her gender, or if s/he just acts and dresses the way s/he wants to (do you pick your clothes out based on what gender they make you look? I don't; I go based on comfort, color, and style, not gender appropriateness) without regard to what other people think? I mean, if memory serves, s/he's been fairly evasive on the subject in the past, but nobody's ever come right out and asked, either. If we assume that elven attitudes toward gender and sexuality are different than human ones, isn't it possible that they just don't care at all, and can't really understand that humans do unless it gets spelled out for them?
    "There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It is like falling in love." ~ Christopher Morley

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

I say she is female for a reason that is undeniable.
    A married man would never room with a sexy girl like haley.

And, uh Wreckan? Belkar is soo male! ::)
    Aereshaa: Ubuntu user, C programmer, incompetent student.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

I say (backed up by multiple people, none of whom post) that 123:
    http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/Gian...tscript?SK=123
    proves it that V is Female. Also, hayley, who is as far as we can tell, V's best friend, says "the boys" referencing the others, NOT V.
    Aww... look at the cute little signature!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

She uses "boys" to reference their immaturity, not merely their gender.
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecan
    She uses "boys" to reference their immaturity, not merely their gender.
    Game, set, and match.
    Check out my first creation, the Wrathling. Look at it, comment on it, help balance it, vote for it. Any help is appreciated.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aereshaa The Bitter
    A married man would never room with a sexy girl like haley.
    V, being an elf, is biologically different. What is hot to humans may not be to elves.

Also, Elves may operate under different societal mores, such that perhaps physical dalliances with human lovers / mistresses / partners aren't a concern among Elves, married or otherwise.
    Miko fan, and don\'t you forget it!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

on Nov 4th, 2003, 12:33pm bogotter wrote:
    So what would happen if Pat (or Vaarsuvius) put on the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity? Hmmmmm?
    :-/
    I've been going over some of the older posts and noticed this, thought I'd bring it up
    (Pat was something they where discussing at the time)
    Lord\'s Prayer (sindarin)&&Ae Adar nín i vi Menel&&no aer i eneth lín&&tolo i arnad lín&&caro den i innas lin&&bo Ceven sui vi Menel.&&Anno ammen sír i mbas ilaurui vín&&ar díheno ammen i úgerth vin&&sui mín i gohenam di ai gerir úgerth ammen.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrauGeist
    V, being an elf, is biologically different. What is hot to humans may not be to elves.
    Not that different. They are half-elves, after all.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Excuse my political incorrectness, but there is a difference between men and women. There are agressive women and 'feminine' guys, but these are not standard. On average the two genders react similiary to certain situations, which are different than what the other gender would.

Some of this is cultural, other biological. So for the love of Pete (or Petra, you'll have to ask The Doctor ::) ), everyone puh-leeze quit with the 'thats just how humans act'. Yes, male humans act one way, female humans another, generally speaking.

Aaaanyways, I always thought V was a guy, but now I could see it both ways. I hoenstly don't see how this has stretched to over a hundred pages however...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

V is male, that I am certain of. No breasts, male eye position (upper third of the face as opposed to middle for females). He sure is (from a human point of view) as gay as they come. Yet that's just plain elven, although it could still be, even with him being married. For all we know (or rather don't), it could be a gay marriage. That last bit also conveniently explains why he shares a room with Haley without removing the point that he is male.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

V is male, that I am certain of. No breasts, male eye position (upper third of the face as opposed to middle for females)
    Actually, it has been shown in a previous thread that V's eyes are in a gender neutral position on his head, however I can't locate the link at the moment. The eye thing has been mentioned numerous times in the other V's gender debate threads though. (Not the casual one that I know of... yet.)

Edit: Ugh, typo.
    I have located the link hovever: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb...28;start=89#89

22. - Top - End - #52
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

bump!
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!

23. - Top - End - #53

Aren't these listed in the Important/Reoccuring/FAQ Threads or Notices? No? Looks like it needs updating! ;D

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

My maths is screwy. How did I think it was "nearly six weeks" after 6 May?! Sorry, all.

You know what? V's Gender Debate IV still is the current thread. :-[
    The member of the Australian Society for the Encouragement and Propagation of Beards. - Custom avatar by Moonsinger. Technical assistance by Quasimodo.

25. - Top - End - #55

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Arian
    My maths is screwy. How did I think it was "nearly six weeks" after 6 May?! Sorry, all.

You know what? V's Gender Debate IV still is the current thread. :-[
    That's because Lilly bumped it. Moderators are allowed to pracitce threadcromancy. ;)
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

*sigh*... I can't believe you all are still debating this. ::)

These is how the last comic is going to go down:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1, The thing in the shadow is going to ask wether it can come out yet.. in the last pannel.
    2. V's gender is still going to STILL be unknown.

:P

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

27. - Top - End - #57

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by +5 Flaming Ego Slayer of Doom
    *sigh*... I can't believe you all are still debating this. ::)

These is how the last comic is going to go down:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1, The thing in the shadow is going to ask wether it can come out yet.. in the last pannel.
    2. V's gender is still going to STILL be unknown.

:P
    Don't be silly. We're not still talking about it. And V is male. :D
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aereshaa The Bitter
    And, uh Wreckan? Belkar is soo male! ::)
    Nono... Wrecan meant that Belkar doesn't know what gender V. is.
    This is what KLF is about...&&Also known as the Justified Ancients of MuMu...&&Furthermore known as the JAMS...

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

What a great debate...except that after reading the First Thread of it (yes, 49 *whimper* pages) then finding out that there were more threads...I skipped threads two and three. Scary, scary, scary.

I'm really, really new to OotS, but it is easily the most awesome comic that ever existed...when I have funds I'm buying those books.

If I had to pick, V is female...for so many reasons, all of which have been said before.

But I just had to post and say, isn't V written so fabulously? Has anyone ever seen a character before that is SO sexually unclear, that so much can be written about them? Awesome work!

Korta

p.s...I'm positive Haley knows the truth.....but she'll never reveal it....

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

The truth? Rich hasn't created a designated gender, so not even he knows. It's just for added comedy. It's still funny from the characters's perspectives. Just as we all know Pat from SNL is technically female (played by Julia Sweeney), but still (don't) laugh because the characters are clueless. Unless Rich has modeled it after someone, V is, in fact, an "it".