Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 1516
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location

    Default Re: What OOTS characters Think V Is

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecan
    Male
    Roy (#9)
    Elan (#87)
    Nale (#252)
    2 Azure wizards (#306)

    Female
    Potion seller (#135)
    Dwarven assassin (#240)
    Sabine (#252)

    Unclear
    Horse valet (#173)
    Belkar (#177)

    Score: 4-3-2

    Just wanted to point out you list Nale and Sabine backwards from #252. Nale refers to V as "That elf chick" and Sabine calls V "the elf dude". And I don't really see where Elan assumes V is male, he doesn't make comment about s/he being either...except for being half-camel, he just noticed V wasn't going into the restroom.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Felinoid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sorcerer's Place
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    I think V is a female because it makes the group more rounded and because #123 wouldn't have been nearly as funny/hot if V were a guy.
    Hiding the little one away so he doesn't get hurt...
    Belkar is Chaotic Evil because the Giant says so. Deal with it.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattle

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    I'm no literary expert, but I find it very telling that I think V's female while my husband is sure V's male. Which basically indicates that we see ourselves in Varsuvius.

    Since V is fictional, we are free to use our own interpretations. Which means that V's gender really *doesn't* matter, since we'll all just mentally edit the preposition to match our opinion when we're reading it.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    st. louis

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    I guess I can kinda, sorta, see people debating this but, it seems pretty straight forward.

    I've always thought V was a female. I mean I didnt even question it. I would guess its due to the hair being anything but short-short and wearing a metal hair circlet/tiera/band thing. She gets grouped with haley in all things. The fact that Haley obviously shares more with her would imply a gender comradery in my mind.

    When someone calls she a he, its obviously a tug at the elf's gender neutrality but its always done as a joke.

    I really haven't seen anything that makes wonder.


    Edit: I would only add that it is only unclear to some characters beklar had mentioned wondering in comic 28 as well.


  5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    I prefer to think V as being a female... No reason.
    \"O mighty art thou, the augur of the Perilous Realm. I beseech thy words, for I am thy servant, for-ever and til the end of the time...\" -Urulul the Half-orc Assassin, 3 rounds before he killed the Augur.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    Is it me or did V look suspiciously man-ish in the last comic? I dunno if it was a change in the artwork but V's torso looks more stretched/thinner, and as such makes it seem even less likely that there's any woman parts beneath that robe...
    Well its about time! I was starting to think that Id researched that Xykons Moderately Escapable Forcecage spell for nothing!

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Ink's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    Well look at it this way. If Vaarsuvius were a man, he would be a feminine man. If Vaarsuvius were a woman, she would be a masculine woman. Given that elves are portrayed as generally being pretty feminine, it would be more likely that Vaarsuvius is male. Has anyone ever heard of an overly-masculine elvish woman? Now if Vaarsuvius were a dwarf on the other hand...

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    I think Vaarsuvius is really an oversized dwarf who shaves his/her beard every day. In which case, s/he COULD be a woman!
    Now taking avatar requests! PM my real account, Sneak.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In Lala Land...
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    Sure, "could" be, but V could also be the sensitive male friend that Haley finds non-threatening. We also know that Haley tends to have trouble getting along with other females.
    Accually, Haley has trouble getting along with other women that she finds threatining. V obviously isn't that threatining to her 'secret' crush on Elan. That, when she was grouped with Sabine, Sabine had Nale, and this (we can safely assume) really ticked her off.


    So, really, I think we should leave the debate to the dust because no matter how much we debate, The Giant will find a way to prove us wrong. ;) Thanks!
    ~Nixie
    Thoughts:
    How come you press harder on a remote-control when you know the battery is dead?
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
    Does the reverse side also have a reverse side?
    Why are there 5 syllables in the word "monosylabic"?
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MonkGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    I always saw V as female. Not sure why, just seemed that way to me.
    None of us have tampered with the fundemental natural order when bored. That would be wrong.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground
     
    kerberos's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Denmark

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    I always saw V as female, but it occours to me there is something that might conclusively prove otherwise. In comic 9 Roy reffers to V as V-man, I realize that people will point out that this nonly reveals Roy's perception. I am however informed that Rick has said that he had a clear gender identity for V at first, and only added the obscurity after the fan-debate started. Thus if the debate hadn't yet started by comic 9, then Roy's perception of the matter must have been the actual truth of the matter. So the 1 million dollar question is whether the debate had in fact started by comic 9 or not. Are there any veterans of the board who can remember if this is the case?
    Founder, Chief Eviscerator and resurrected Leader of The Belkar Fanclub - Because our psycho is better than your psycho .

    [I]Avatar stolen from h_v's eviscerated corpse.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Alchemistmerlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    Quote Originally Posted by kerberos
    I always saw V as female, but it occours to me there is something that might conclusively prove otherwise. In comic 9 Roy reffers to V as V-man, I realize that people will point out that this nonly reveals Roy's perception. I am however informed that Rick has said that he had a clear gender identity for V at first, and only added the obscurity after the fan-debate started. Thus if the debate hadn't yet started by comic 9, then Roy's perception of the matter must have been the actual truth of the matter. So the 1 million dollar question is whether the debate had in fact started by comic 9 or not. Are there any veterans of the board who can remember if this is the case?

    Wait, I know I saw Rich say that he purposely leaves the gender ambiguous, but where did he say that he hadn't had that in mind originally?
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    S.A.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    I always saw V as female, but it occours to me there is something that might conclusively prove otherwise. In comic 9 Roy reffers to V as V-man, I realize that people will point out that this nonly reveals Roy's perception. I am however informed that Rick has said that he had a clear gender identity for V at first, and only added the obscurity after the fan-debate started. Thus if the debate hadn't yet started by comic 9, then Roy's perception of the matter must have been the actual truth of the matter. So the 1 million dollar question is whether the debate had in fact started by comic 9 or not. Are there any veterans of the board who can remember if this is the case?
    Um... well a) it's Rich not Rick and
    b) Rich has stated somewhere on this board that yes, V had a gender at the start but the debate (and therefore the ambiguity) only started when the first mention of obscurity was made. As Rich said that was somewhere around comic #2 or #3.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    My final argument:
    They talk about shoes.
    They both have to be girls.
    Thanks to Chris the Pontifex for creating this great avatar! :)

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV

    I, personally, think that V is male. I've just thought that way since day one. I noticed this the other day though and checked back on a few comic strips. I've noticed that the female OOTS characters have a curve on their chests to represent their breasts. So okay, I think to myself, maybe the ones in cloaks won't because its a big ol' cloak. So I look back at a few and found some that had cloaks/robes, etc. and there WAS a curve. I even saw the strip with the female dwarf and she had a curve on her chest in the armor. I'm thinking even more now that V is male. LOL Of course there are very flat chested females, however, I've never seen them in OOTS. LOL Anyway, I know its all in each person's perception anyway. Just wanted to share my thoughts on this.

    Last Panel, 1st Cell - One female in group:
    http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/Gian...tscript?SK=283

    The female shop keeper in robe:
    http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/Gian...tscript?SK=135

    The female dwarf:
    http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/Gian...otscript?SK=76

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Ink's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    And V is also drawn exactly like ZZ'dtri, who is male.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ink
    And V is also drawn exactly like ZZ'dtri, who is male.
    I agree. I noticed that one too.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Felinoid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sorcerer's Place
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    I would agree, except that just because someone is female doen't mean they've got D-cups. V could just be flat.
    Hiding the little one away so he doesn't get hurt...
    Belkar is Chaotic Evil because the Giant says so. Deal with it.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Holy_Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: What OOTS characters Think V Is

    Quote Originally Posted by Tulnavara
    ...except for being half-camel, he just noticed V wasn't going into the restroom.
    Just after that comment, Elan says: "Unless he's half-dromedary..."

    So Elan does in fact perceive Vaarsuvius as a male.


    Here's an interesting note: Has anyone who's actually in the Order ever questioned V's gender, other than Belkar? As far as I can remember, he's the only one to have ever actually stated that they saw V as ambiguously-gendered. All of the others have either indicated that they perceived him as one thing, or not said anything about it at all. In fact, now that I think about it, there's only one other character in the whole series that I can recall saying they were unsure about V's gender, and that's the horse parking ticket person. Am I right about that? I think it may be significant--I'll post more about it after I've thought some more.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    Quote Originally Posted by Heads_or_Tails

    Um... well a) it's Rich not Rick and
    b) Rich has stated somewhere on this board that yes, V had a gender at the start but the debate (and therefore the ambiguity) only started when the first mention of obscurity was made. As Rich said that was somewhere around comic #2 or #3.
    I don't know if he said it on here, but he states it explicitly in one of the books (which are at home, so I don't know which one). I used to be firmly on the side of V as male, since the first few strips to me make it totally obvious that it was so (seriously, read the first 10 or 20 strips knowing that it's one or the other), but once I realized that the Giant was actively trying to confuse the issue the debate became utterly pointless.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Felinoid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sorcerer's Place
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ink
    And V is also drawn exactly like ZZ'dtri, who is male.
    ZZ'dtri is also an opposite, as well as the new half-elf boy. Dun dun DUNNNNN!!!
    Hiding the little one away so he doesn't get hurt...
    Belkar is Chaotic Evil because the Giant says so. Deal with it.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordVader's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Imperium of Man
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    very true-hmm. could it be a foolish mortal has dicovered a carefully hidden secret?

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    1505 Cabot pl.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    I think V is gay. Thats why Haley lets him stay in the same room as her. It all makes sence. He's married to a guy and and isn't sure of how the others will react to him being gay. He's told Haley and she has sworn to keep it a secret. ^^ So yeah. V is a guy. That is gay. IT ALL MAKES SENCE!!!
    PAPER BEATS ROCK

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    I think V's female, because in comic #3, he/she/it (depending on your point of few) apparently knows fashion. Plus, Zz'Dtri and the Half-Elf are male.
    Really, it\'s just a coincidence.&&&&Despite what you may think, you haven\'t seen me before. Don\'t be silly. What bard? Ramza? Who on Earth is that?

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In Lala Land...
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    You make a good point (though I'm biased, cuz I see V as female). But, not to be a devil's advocate, not all girls have a fashion sense (I know a few at my school....)

    [EDIT] 'w' to 'a'
    ~Nixie
    Thoughts:
    How come you press harder on a remote-control when you know the battery is dead?
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
    Does the reverse side also have a reverse side?
    Why are there 5 syllables in the word "monosylabic"?
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Holy_Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza
    I think V's female, because in comic #3, he/she/it (depending on your point of few) apparently knows fashion. Plus, Zz'Dtri and the Half-Elf are male.
    Of course, that comment could have been sarcasm, or just nicely listening to someone else despite not thinking what they're talking about is very important.

    Anyway, here's something to ask yourself:

    Think of people you know who speak and act like Vaarsuvius. Are these people mostly males, or females? Those kind of erudite know-it-all speeches and explanations of everything are way more typical of men than women.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    1505 Cabot pl.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    I stand by my point of V being gay. :P I think that makes it so much easier
    PAPER BEATS ROCK

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    What if V doesn't have a gender?! ???
    It's feasable (though unlikely) that pure-Elves don't have a gender in the campaign world, but can reproduce regardless. Of course, that just made my own head spin, so...
    Really, it\'s just a coincidence.&&&&Despite what you may think, you haven\'t seen me before. Don\'t be silly. What bard? Ramza? Who on Earth is that?

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Brett Wong's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    B.C. Canada Vancouver
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    i vote that its not going to be reveild
    I joined the Roy Fan Club and all I got was this lousy smiley.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Taruk Dark-Wind, Half-Orc Barbarian/Monk by Tired N' Drowzy
    Spoiler
    Show
    HOMM V Knight by Tomb Raven
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Knight done up by Ink

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Takoma Park, Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    Having dated someone whose gender I didn't know until we ended up in bed I can safely say it doesn't make a bit of difference.
    on a similar note, i was once in an art class with someone named "kelly," who i wasn't sure whether was a girl or a boy. *As some of you might know, Kelly is in fact an androgonys name, and although it is mor commonly used for girls, this person sort of looked like a guy. *But, on the other hand, he/she had long hair. *But, where i live, almost everyone his/her age *had long hair. *and my friend (who knew because he/she was in his class) would not tell me his/her sex, just to spite me. *Eventually he told me, but i have since then forgotten, and so now I*do not know.
    How strange it is to be anything at all...
    --In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Neutral Milk Hotel

    It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live...
    --Albus Dumbledore

    Be who you are and say what you think, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
    --Dr. Seuss

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •