New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

V is male. I can't believe anyone's still doubting that. :D
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: What OOTS characters Think V Is

Quote Originally Posted by Holy_Knight

Just after that comment, Elan says: "Unless he's half-dromedary..."

So Elan does in fact perceive Vaarsuvius as a male.

Here's an interesting note: Has anyone who's actually in the Order ever questioned V's gender, other than Belkar? As far as I can remember, he's the only one to have ever actually stated that they saw V as ambiguously-gendered. All of the others have either indicated that they perceived him as one thing, or not said anything about it at all. In fact, now that I think about it, there's only one other character in the whole series that I can recall saying they were unsure about V's gender, and that's the horse parking ticket person. Am I right about that? I think it may be significant--I'll post more about it after I've thought some more.

nale has.
    I joined the Roy Fan Club and all I got was this lousy smiley.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taruk Dark-Wind, Half-Orc Barbarian/Monk by Tired N' Drowzy
    Spoiler
    Show
    HOMM V Knight by Tomb Raven
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Knight done up by Ink

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

Personally I think V is male.

I know there were several references to how Zz'dtri and the new-half elf were male, and therefore opposite, so V is female, but if you look at other opposites such as Roy and Thog and Haley and Sabine and Nale and Elan, they're of the same gender.

And not that this is big, but V almost always calls Haley Miss Starshine. That just seems like such a male mannerism. I mean, I only remember other guys in the strip saying it (like that 2nd level rogue and some other guy later on.)
    And forgetting to name a familiar just seems rather masculine, too (154).
    The face V makes in 237 when Haley makes the comment about it being 'roy's time of month' was pretty much the typical male reactionary face, too.

Yeah, that was my 2 cents.
    Not that we'll ever know who is right ;D

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've had a thought about V's marriage, but since the thread title doesn't say [spoiler], I'll type it in beige.
    Haley was the only one to already know that V is married. What if the two of them were the married couple, but it was an open marriage, which would leave Haley free to be in love with Elan without making complications in the relationship? 8)
    Just sayin' ...
    awarded blue ribbon by Ravenwind&&awarded Paying Attention to Earlier Conversations About the Same Topic Award by Kanashimi

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

V has the gender of the plot.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I wonder what exactly would happen if V was to wear the "Girdle of Feminity/Masculinity".
    You smell
    q.e.d.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

I dont know why but V sounds like a chick to me.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

I always thought of V as female just because there are so few women in OotS that I think it would be good for there to be some more for balance. Lame reason, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelziges_Ohr
    I wonder what exactly would happen if V was to wear the "Girdle of Feminity/Masculinity".
    Probably absolutely nothing

9. - Top - End - #99
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]I

I assume V is a girl. It's just that. From strip #1, I've thought that.

Plus, I know girls that tend to ramble on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and... you get my point?

Yes, I tend to ramble.
    ~Nixie
    Thoughts:
    How come you press harder on a remote-control when you know the battery is dead?
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
    Does the reverse side also have a reverse side?
    Why are there 5 syllables in the word "monosylabic"?
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

10. - Top - End - #100

Obligatory Gender Debate Reply Number 4.

Vaarsuvius is neither female nor male. Nay forsooth Vaarsuvius is beyond such paltry gender identification modes for Vaarsuvius is a much greater thing indeed. That which renders this entire discussion null and void and trembling before the august majesty of its revelation.

For indeed Vaarsuvius is an Elf.
    A Power Mad Magic Obssessed Elf to be precise.
    Nothing more need ever be said, your arguements are now null.

Please feel free to continue, as you always do.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

11. - Top - End - #101

Planetar

I don't see what all the debate is about. V is obviously male. :D

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStick
    I don't see what all the debate is about. V is obviously male. :D
    So you said at the top of this very page. ;) Oh, and once again you've made the same spelling error, leaving the first two letters off that last word. ::)
    awarded blue ribbon by Ravenwind&&awarded Paying Attention to Earlier Conversations About the Same Topic Award by Kanashimi

13. - Top - End - #103

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by charik
    So you said at the top of this very page. ;) Oh, and once again you've made the same spelling error, leaving the first two letters off that last word. ::)
    I don't see what all the debate is about. Charik is obviously female. ;)

14. - Top - End - #104

I agree, Celestial. On both points. From the beginning of the comic I always just naturally assumed V was male, and even now could not picture him talking in a female voice, even if he was revealed as a female by the Giant.

Yes...both points. V is male and Charik is female. :)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, since you've obviously got mine wrong (obvious to me and any who know me), that's not looking good for your track records on guessing genders. Thus supporting the "V is female" side. ;D

What's interesting about the debate is that most people seem to have the opinion "I just took it for granted", rather than "V is {insert gender here} because of this that and the other reason". I didn't question V's gender any more than I did Haley's or Roy's.

16. - Top - End - #106

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Messy
    I agree, Celestial. On both points. From the beginning of the comic I always just naturally assumed V was male, and even now could not picture him talking in a female voice, even if he was revealed as a female by the Giant.

Yes...both points. V is male and Charik is female. :)
    Ah, you are a perceptive and sagacious man, Messy. Poor Charik. At least she is queen--of denial! ;D

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

V has a minimum 18 intelligence score, he must be male.
    There is no signature.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

On average, women are smarter than men. I would agree that there are probably more recognized male geniuses than recognized female geniuses, but there are many, many more mentally retarded males than mentally retarded females. Besides, part of the reason that more males ar recognized as geniuses is because of this outdated, pointless mentality that men are smarter than women. So many people are still caught up in this primitive mindset that some girls are actually held back because they're not 'supposed' to be intelligent. Trust me, I know about this, I was one of those girls.

The percentage chance for rolling an 18 on 3d6 is .46%. That means 99.54% of 3d6 rolls are not 18's. A IQ percentile of 99.54% is equivalent to an IQ of 139. I could name 5 female friends of mine off the top of my head that have an IQ at least that high. Not to brag, but I even have an IQ that high. So you can't tell V's gender by his intelligence.

For something only slightly relevant to this topic, The Grateful Dead used to sing this. I believe it was originally a South American folk song.

My own view? If the characters had players, Vaarsuvius would be the powergamer who couldn't be bothered to write down something as inconsequential as gender on his character sheet, when he could be perfecting his spell list and the rest of his stats. There's a good reason that the D+D system doesn't put gender restrictions on abilities.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

if you are so smart you know that the male brain is bigger than the female.
    There is no signature.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Size of the brain has nothing to do with intelligence. I thought that it was common knowledge that it's the density of the brain tissue that was the main factor in intelligence. But I could be wrong, getting this from such a disreputable source as Johns Hopkins University. :P
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

yes... yes...
    so dogs that have their brains the size of a nut are the most intelligence animals in Earth.
    There is no signature.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Some dogs are more intelligent than some humans. Border collies, while not all that large, are some of the most intelligent dogs I've met, and definitely qualify for that 'smarter than some humans' category. Again, the size of the brain has nothing to do with intelligence.

I would agree that dogs are among the most intelligent animals on earth, but I wouldn't do them the honor of being the most intelligent, at least not while there's still chimpanzees, dolphins, and cats around.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

i'm not surprise you think that dogs have a lot of intelligence, its a relative comparison.
    There is no signature.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

...I noticed that...like, three posts ago I noticed that...

Anyways, back on topic. If I had to assign a gender to V, I'd say V is female, because, for one thing, V boards with Haley. (comic #123) Also, no male in his right mind would submit anyone, even a chimera, to Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion. (#20, I believe.)
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm.... I always put V down as a male, until I noticed that V is never listed as either. I then went back and re-read V's part as neutral. It was really tricky to tell. I'd actually like us never to find out, so in days of old, long after Rich's retirement, we can return here and still discuss it.

Great going Rich!
    I lack a humurous opinion/outlook

26. - Top - End - #116

Among humans, I don't think there is an intelligence difference between males and females (I could be wrong, I'm no professor ::)). Just because V's intelligence is 18 does not mean he is male, although I am in support of V being male. It likewise does not mean that he is female.

According to BlackFox, and he's probably correct, the density of the brain tissue determines your intelligence...? Obviously dogs' brains are so much smaller (and less dense I would guess) that it makes them less intelligent than humans.

Anyway, V is male. And yes, other than the fact that "I took it for granted", Charik, "I do have reasons". Comic #3 -- Haley talks about fashion and lime green boots of speed, and from V's response it sounds like he was trying to shrug her off without annoying her.

Also, I am certain that from V's actions and from what Roy called him (V-man), during the beginning of the comic Rich had every intention of making V male. It's good he never gave anything important away, because then he saw people arguing about V's gender on the boards, as it was not very obvious. So he built on it, and now it's a funny addition to OOTS, and an eternal discussion on the boards. Which is what I'm doing right now 8).

Overall, I'm still holding my place. V is male, no doubts about it here. :D

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFox
    there are many, many more mentally retarded males than mentally retarded females.
    Males have got the rough end of the stick when it comes to genetic disorders, unfortunately for them.

If the damaged or faulty gene is carried on the Y chromosome, only males can inherit it.

If it's carried on the X, a female can use the functioning copy of the gene on her other chromosome, so she may experience no effects or a lesser one; it may only show at all if she has it on both chromosomes.

Men get the double whammy.
    The member of the Australian Society for the Encouragement and Propagation of Beards. - Custom avatar by Moonsinger. Technical assistance by Quasimodo.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

I simply can't comprehend V being male. Just no. She strikes me as female because of a few points:

-She only bunks with Haley. Only. Why would she only bunk with a member of the opposite sex, but still have a mate? And not be cheating?
    -In strip... 3 I think it was, she was discussing Boots of Speed with Haley. She makes it sound as if she has a female's "fashion sense". A male wouldn't really be that interested, or turned down a magic item because of its color.
    -When Celia was shopping for clothes to wear on her date with Roy, V was there, helping her decide. Why would a male help a female to buy clothing for a date with another male? Wouldnt it be better to ask Haley for help, and have her write it down instead of say it, is V was male?
    If you have made an avatar for me, do not worry. I have them saved. Your work was not wasted. The reason I am not showing them right now may be because I feel they should be shown off at a better point in time.&&&&Orange Zergling doll by Sneak.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

The problem with saying "no-one ever gives their reasons" is that now we're going to have a run-through of all the most popular reasons AGAIN. If you want to see reasons, we've got four threads full. :D
    The member of the Australian Society for the Encouragement and Propagation of Beards. - Custom avatar by Moonsinger. Technical assistance by Quasimodo.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Arian
    The problem with saying "no-one ever gives their reasons" is that now we're going to have a run-through of all the most popular reasons AGAIN. If you want to see reasons, we've got four threads full. :D
    Yeah, but then you have to read through hundreds of pages of part opinion part spam part random speech.