New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFox
    On average, women are smarter than men. I would agree that there are probably more recognized male geniuses than recognized female geniuses, but there are many, many more mentally retarded males than mentally retarded females. Besides, part of the reason that more males ar recognized as geniuses is because of this outdated, pointless mentality that men are smarter than women. So many people are still caught up in this primitive mindset that some girls are actually held back because they're not 'supposed' to be intelligent. Trust me, I know about this, I was one of those girls.

The biggest reason that there are no recognized female geniuses is that the femenist movement occured such a short time ago (relatively speaking). How often does someone come along who can be called a real genius? One every hundred years or so?

Also, did you know that the ratio of women to men going to college in the U.S. is 3:2?

--------------------------------And now, for my next trick, on topic discussion!-------------------------------------

Personally I've never thought that V could be anything other than male. Elf men are always portrayed as being effemanent, so I always assumed that Rich was just playing off of that, until I came to the forums and found a huge debate, that is.

Real wizards use staves

2. - Top - End - #122
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

When I first started reading OOTS, before I joined the forums, I didn't even know this was a debate, I just assumed V was a girl. Mostly because there was only one other girl and it just made sense to me.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor
    When I first started reading OOTS, before I joined the forums, I didn't even know this was a debate, I just assumed V was a girl. Mostly because there was only one other girl and it just made sense to me.
    Exactly. I have the same problem. I just "naturally assumed" when I first started reading OOTS that V was male. Then I saw the debate and I suddenly understood the bathroom joke and some others.
    That's why this debate can be overrated sometimes -- not many people bring real REASONS, they just say it "natrually" came to them. (Not that it didn't, it just doesn't make good discussion.)

Which is why if you're going to post in this thread, it'd be nice if you gave some evidence as to your opinion of V's gender.

V is male because he forgot to name his familiar. "I haven't named any of my other class features." Yeah, but it's ALIVE. Seems like a very masculine action. It's not like he doesn't have the time to do it either, being an elf. And he also doesn't care much (and mistakenly calls the bird "my familiar" once more after that, where Haley corrects him) when Haley names him Blackwing; you'd think it'd be more of a female action to defend the fact that it's "MY familiar" and I want to name it, while the male would be all, "Whatever, name it whatever you like".

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Women are on average smarter than men? Some dogs are smarter than some human beings? Where do you come up with this stuff?
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStick
    Women are on average smarter than men? Some dogs are smarter than some human beings? Where do you come up with this stuff?
    Hmm...sitting around all day typing on the forums on the GiantITP website like the geeks we are I would guess makes our brains stimulate and come up with new, crazy ideas ;D

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

I think women have an average IQ higher than the average IQ of men, but I am not sure. A very very smart dog can technically be smarter than a really really really really stupid human...
    If you have made an avatar for me, do not worry. I have them saved. Your work was not wasted. The reason I am not showing them right now may be because I feel they should be shown off at a better point in time.&&&&Orange Zergling doll by Sneak.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

What Mind Flayer said. :)
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

8. - Top - End - #128

I'm sure it's very very rare that a dog can be more intelligent with any human. Even people who have learning disabilities or brain damage are usually smarter than any dog. Although I'm sure it is possible.

Edit: All this "supposedly" so we can argue about V's gender ;D

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

By 'smarter' I'm talking IQ terms, but yes, it is extremely rare.

I have also had a nagging feeling since I first picked up the book (my intro to OOTS) that V was female. Since there was only one other female. Most groups that have 6 people are 4 males, 2 females, and this balanced it out.
    If you have made an avatar for me, do not worry. I have them saved. Your work was not wasted. The reason I am not showing them right now may be because I feel they should be shown off at a better point in time.&&&&Orange Zergling doll by Sneak.

10. - Top - End - #130

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Messy

Hmm...sitting around all day typing on the forums on the GiantITP website like the geeks we are I would guess makes our brains stimulate and come up with new, crazy ideas ;D
    LOL. It's like drugs, only legal. :D

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

11. - Top - End - #131

LOL. It's like drugs, only legal. :D
    Actually, there's a new law being passed by the President even now that says that being a geek by posting on a webcomic website consistently is illegal, so... ;)

12. - Top - End - #132

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by The Mind Flayer

I think women have an average IQ higher than the average IQ of men, but I am not sure. A very very smart dog can technically be smarter than a really really really really stupid human...
    I'm pretty sure that men on average have higher IQs because leftists are always whining that IQ tests are skewed in favor of "white males."

As for a dog with a higher IQ than a human, I suppose it might be possible for some top-end dog to have a higher IQ than a retarded human infant or something, but beyond that I'd have to see something substantive (and peer-reviewed) that demonstrated dogs with higher IQs than humans.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

My brain tells me that V is female, mostly because I've thought that since the beginning (Haley being the only girl in the group otherwise), and because in that one strip at the inn with the magical globes and the misunderstanding with all the boys listening through the walls thinking they were hearing something else (yeah, that one. Remember that one?), V and Haley were in the room together while Belkar, Roy, Elan, and Durkan were all crunched into another room. If the party was not being seperated out by gender, then wouldn't it make more sense to have three people in each of the two rooms so there wouldn't be unequal/unfair crowding? But ultimately, my belief that V is female stems from the fact that I am a girl and my subconcious automatically tags unidentified genders as the same. Also, all of V's supposedly masculine traits are traits I have as well (arrogance, impatience, violent tendancies...).

Of course, both V and I could be that "one-in-ten."

None of this really matters to me, though, because I find the gender debate in the comic to be really, really funny, and I almost hope it never gets revealed.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, to finally say so.... I think V is female, have done since I saw him/her (i'm only saying this because I don't *know* that (s)he's female, (oh but i'm just gonna use the V now, because the brackets are already annoying)

Reason #1:
    Strip #123 would be only half as funny if V were male (although I suppose when you think about it, it could be)

Reason #2:
    V and Belkar's Feud would be a lot more interesting (to me) if V were female.

Reason #3:
    V always rooms with Haley, now some people have said well maybe he is male and is *with* Haley. Eh? Haley is in love with Elan, and i can only think of V being Haley's female freind whom she can share her many secrets with (apart from one ;)), and that seems to be the only thing that makes sense to me.

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

I've always thought of V as male, but I belive you have convinced me, Calamity.
    Correction. The best class ever is not the Paladin of Freedom. It is a Paladin of Freedom/Bard Dual-class.&&&&Somehow, giving him a new weapon changes his name from \"Roy\" to \"GreataxeFighterGuy\". Go figure.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Not on topic for this thread, I know, but:

Somehow, giving him a new weapon changes his name from &quot;Roy&quot; to &quot;GreataxeFighterGuy&quot;. Go figure.
    As a matter of fact, his name was &quot;GreataxeFighterGuy&quot; before it ever got to be &quot;Roy&quot;. :)

The avatars (at least the first batch) predate the comic.
    The member of the Australian Society for the Encouragement and Propagation of Beards. - Custom avatar by Moonsinger. Technical assistance by Quasimodo.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Firbolg in the Playground

Despite being male myself, I assumed that V was female when I first read the comic, primarily do to his/her hair. I still think (s)he's female, and the best evidence I have is her explanation of Belkar's &quot;binary mind&quot;: If V only wants to ensure that Belkar doesn't lust after him/her (even if it means Belkar's hatred), why not just inform Belkar of V's true gender? Belkar doesn't strike me as the most tolerant of individuals, and I don't think he's gay, either. Besides, the Order's seen him/her naked before, right after Durkon undid the Baleful Polymorph.

My favorite theory in this thread, though, is the theory that V's player is a powergamer who didn't bother picking a gender. That's just priceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

If the party was not being seperated out by gender, then wouldn't it make more sense to have three people in each of the two rooms so there wouldn't be unequal/unfair crowding?
    V seems to be the epitome of &quot;unequal/unfair&quot; to me. The reason for her rooming with Ms. Starshine would be that they are good friends and Haley knows V is that asexual it won't try anything anyway.

Besides, the Order's seen him/her naked before, right after Durkon undid the Baleful Polymorph.
    Actually, it didn't. V hid behind the dragon's tail and I expect Durkon to be tactful enough not to look.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Messy
    V is male because he forgot to name his familiar. &quot;I haven't named any of my other class features.&quot; Yeah, but it's ALIVE. Seems like a very masculine action. It's not like he doesn't have the time to do it either, being an elf. And he also doesn't care much (and mistakenly calls the bird &quot;my familiar&quot; once more after that, where Haley corrects him) when Haley names him Blackwing; you'd think it'd be more of a female action to defend the fact that it's &quot;MY familiar&quot; and I want to name it, while the male would be all, &quot;Whatever, name it whatever you like&quot;.
    I'm a female. I haven't named any of my pets (gerbils, hermit crabs, cat) until my friends (both guys and girls) pestered me about it so much that I just told them to name them. And I responded to the naming just the same as V... The name of somebody or something is the least interesting bit of information. More important is their personality (and I'm including animals in this) or its purpose.

When I read the comic fist, I assumed V was male and the Giant was playing on the effeminate elf stereotype. When the characters began questioning V's sex, this assumption of the Giant's intent fell away, and I began wondering what I perceived V as. I've since mostly thought of V as female because I feel that I have so much in common with him/her, and its sorta a self-validation thingy my brain does, I guess.

Furthermore, I don't think we will ever find out about V's sex - that would require a very non-PG panel. We can only speculate on his/her gender, and that has been evidenced to be either bi-gendered or gender-neutral just by the confusion V generated. I would lean more towards bi-gendered, because she/he has his/her moments where you think &quot;I've got it! He/She has to be male (or female)!&quot;. Gender-neutral would most likely have no such moments at all, or at most one or two. Of course, it wouldn't be nearly as funny then.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbrMerlinus
    Also, all of V's supposedly masculine traits are traits I have as well (arrogance, impatience, violent tendancies...).
    Yep yep, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbrMerlinus
    None of this really matters to me, though, because I find the gender debate in the comic to be really, really funny, and I almost hope it never gets revealed.
    /signed on hoping that V's gender never gets revealed

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

Vaarsuvius is an elf, and most elves consider themselves above human ethics, politics, and genders. Therefore, Vaarsuvius is perceived by the Stick as asexual, which is why Haley is so inclined to open up to it.
    If I was the head of a country that lost a war, and I had to sign a peace treaty, just as I was signing, I\'d glance over the treaty and then suddenly act surprised. \"Wait a minute! I thought we won!\"&&&&&&&&

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

I know what V is. Those of you who play D&amp;D know of Mialee, and her strange body form (and clothes). Well, she's not really an elf, but a mutant cricket. Same thing goes for Vaarsivius. There's no gender for mutant crickets, who reproduce asexually.

And elves are known for their beauty. It would be obvious what gender it was (just look at LotR for examples) if V really was an elf.

So no, it's a genderless mutant cricket. The whole issue is in fact a trick question, since it's no elf to begin with.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

I've leaned towards female myself. Rooming only with Haley. Offering fashion advice towards Celia when she wanted to put the moves on Roy. Though maybe V's a guy batting for the other team lol.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm thinking female also, for all of the reasons mentioned. For some reason, I just can't seem to grasp the concept of the Elven wizard who likes the sound of his/her voice too much being a male. If that made any sense.
    A rainstorm of needles, huh? I have an idea...let's make it rain blood instead.

Please click my dragon eggs so they can grow big and strong and DEVOUR YOUR SOUL!

...I mean...be your best friends. ^^;

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I know lots of man who act like V but I dont know any women who act like V so I would say he is a male. Beside, he is married and no male elf would marry V when there is so many really hot female elf around :). Anyway, there is only 2 people in the comics who know the truth : Haley and V husband/wife. If Haley would stop using him/her nickname (V) all the time, we could have known the truth a long time ago.
    In memory of lord Shojo

25. - Top - End - #145

I've always thought V was male, never even questioned it until I started coming here and noticing the way Rich started using it in the comic. Now I don't really know anymore. When people type (s)he or s/he, I still tend to read it as she, and that influences my thoughts about him/her.

I still think that V male somehow, but I have adopted a way of thinking of him/her as a little bit of both.
    The Red Army

26. - Top - End - #146
    Banned

given that I've dated a woman that behaves EXACTLY like him(verbose, arrogant, yet caring and friendly)...I assumed V to be male up to... page 50? 60? after that the ambiguous side of V shone in my mind... I couldn't really decide since then.

That, or V is an avatar of Mask, looking different for each person :O

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll go with my Latin knowledge and say that since Vaarsuvius's name ends in -us, he must be male.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but in comic 9 Roy refers to him as &quot;V-Man&quot;. Maybe this was before the Giant wasn't sure about the gender issue.

29. - Top - End - #149

GnomePirate

I'll go with my Latin knowledge and say that since Vaarsuvius's name ends in -us, he must be male.
    Which is perfectly valid, although Elvish isnt, in fact, Latin.

Personally, I thought female until I saw one of these threads, and I was never able to look at V as any one gender since.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

I think it's funny how Roy, Elan, and Sabine think Vaarsuvius is a male, and Nale and many NPCs think it's a female.
    A rainstorm of needles, huh? I have an idea...let's make it rain blood instead.

Please click my dragon eggs so they can grow big and strong and DEVOUR YOUR SOUL!

...I mean...be your best friends. ^^;