New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Isn't the differing eye level just a consequence of the differing hairstyles? The females with the lower eyes also have much lower fringes to their hair than the men do. If you put the eyes that low with a high fringe they'd look like some sort of mutant...

I can't remember when it was, but awhile ago the Giant said that he put female eyes lower because it was "cute" and, indeed, to allow for better hair design.

When someone did the comparison before, if you put one line through the center of the heads, most females' eyes are below the line and most males' are above. V's however, are usually bisected by the line.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tanonev View Post
    Read round 5.

Slip of the tongue?

Or maybe V's gender is so well hidden, even the Giant doesn't know and gets confused from time to time xD
    If you scroll down, he says that he said it as an estimation.

I've always thought that Vaarsuvius was male BUT LET ME JUST ANSWER SOME THINGS BEFORE YOU KILL ME!:

-First off, it doesn't matter how many people thought that V was male or female. The only person who knows in the comic is V and it is assumed that Haley knows too. So no one else knows, therefore they're just as wrong as we are.
    -Second off, the "green shoes" I don't think really matters. The was that V replied was in more of a general sympathy, knowing that Haley was female and would care about these things, V said a vague statement that could be either male or female, but was still what Haley wanted to hear.
    -Third, V isn't like most... males or females. V is "true neutral...goes both ways" as far as characteristics go. You cannot categorize traits as "male" traits or "female" traits. I know a guy that like to shop, but he isn't gay and is definetly a he.
    -When V bunks with Haley, it could just be they have a trust thing, being with a guy or being both girls, whatever it might be. In the first hundred comics, V was Haley's closest friend in the Order as far as we can tell, therefore we must assume that Haley didn't want her own room, considering that would be a waste of money and over crowded for the "guys." Not to mention a waste of money (it's Haley, remember?).
    -V perhaps didn't get the "time of month" joke because maybe elves do not have them. For as much as we can tell, we know nothing about elvish relationships. Therefore, they might just not do anything physical together, so they might just be married, just because they love each other.

Now, I don't want to argue specifically, but I think that Vaarsuvius will be male because the majority believes that he'll be female, therefore it would be more of a surprise. But of course, V might be female because I always get these things wrong or because the Giant may expect us to believe that he'll go against majority. You never know.

Of course, this is not fact.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrayMatter View Post
    Well, I debated internally for quite awhile over whether to share this. It's really kinda fun to know you know the answer to something when a bunch of people are debating it back and forth :) But I'm just so good hearted and all, I have to tell you.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Giant has revealed the answer in a comic. I'm not saying which one, but he totally did clearly, unmistakably include a reference to V's gender which would absolutely be accurate.

I didn't see it on first reading. Or the third reading, for that matter. I think it's because "The Reference" identified the gender as the one I was convinced of anyways, so I just glossed over it. But the fourth reading I stopped and said "Hey! That's THE PROOF!" Wow, I know V's gender! I was chortling for 5 minutes, all happy with myself for catching it. Which goes to show you that no matter how old you are, you can still act like a child on a sugar high when nobody's looking :D

Giant, if you read this, my congratulations. You set the bar really high on this one :D
    I bet your just saying that to get us fustrated
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanaril Taru View Post
    I bet your just saying that to get us fustrated
    Read the rest of the thread; turns out GrayMatter was mistaken on the validity of the reference ;)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

To me, On the Origin of the PCs provides a reasonable answer on Haley and V getting along better then some of the OOTS. in the scene where they meet, and where they join OOTS. I could..but for some reason I'm feeling contrary and don't feel like making a spoiler tag for further details, however much of a spoiler they actually are
    I has Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Post Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

I agree with ArchiviesTheQua. We shouldn't try to determine V's gender by what we think as gender traits, because different genders don't usually mean different traits. Some males may love to go shopping while some females may like wrestling. Back to the point of this debate, V's race may have a different way of reproduction, so they may not have a gender, this theory being supported by comic stirp #385, when Sabine (while shapeshifted), asks why men are such pigs, and V replies, "Uh, I am not certain I am the most qualified to comment on gender traits." Maybe V doesn't have that much knowledge, despite her high intelligence rank, about what humans think as gender traits. Before I joined the forum, I have always thought V had no gender in the world of OOTS, but this is just my opinion.
    Don't look at me, read below.

Which character are you test by Naruto - Kun.com

Join The Naruto Online Multiplayer Game Naruto - Arena.com

Want to live the life of a pirate? Click the link below!
    http://www.ruletheseas.com/index.php?r=46464

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

How about we just say: If you think V is a girl, say she. If you think V is a boy, say he. If you think V is neither, say it.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Jakester View Post
    How about we just say: If you think V is a girl, say she. If you think V is a boy, say he. If you think V is neither, say it.
    That doesn't answer which gender V has or if V doesn't have one at all. Reviewing over the comic and waiting for more strips will help determine so.

:Truly, this must be the greatest challenge you humans have ever faced.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoli20 View Post
    That doesn't answer which gender V has or if V doesn't have one at all. Reviewing over the comic and waiting for more strips will help determine so.

:Truly, this must be the greatest challenge you humans have ever faced.
    Yes, but it keeps us from going mad.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

My opinion is that V's sex is left vague even to the Giant. He doesn't know, because he's laughing at his own jokes, and V's androgenous nature is part of the joke. If he knew what s/he was, it wouldn't be funny.

So because V exists only in Rich's mind, and underneath the stick-figure robes there isn't any actual genitalia, V's gender must forever more be both. (Shroedinger's cat.)

11. - Top - End - #221
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Post Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

The answer will be either revealed in time, or if we find enough clues, this may finally be solved.

12. - Top - End - #222

I've always thought of V as female while reading through most of the comic. It was somewhere near a recent strip that a character (I forget who) refers to V as a "he", and this got me quite confused. After going back through the strips, I've noticed that there are circumstances where V is decidedly female, but others where V could be male. I'm glad to see that this is on purpose, and that there is a nice debate here in the forums

13. - Top - End - #223
    Pixie in the Playground

The gender confusion is very amuzing indeed.

Vaarsuvius gets named He and she multiple times. But for us is to find out which one he really is. Not even the teammates are exactly clear.

Quite funny really, we only know that he rooms with a girl. And that he is married, but not the gender of his mate.

Confusing yes, but quite amusing.

For some reason I find that I relate to Vaarsuvius as a Male. but I could be wrong.

14. - Top - End - #224

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    So because V exists only in Rich's mind, and underneath the stick-figure robes there isn't any actual genitalia, V's gender must forever more be both. (Shroedinger's cat.)
    Wait. Doesn't that imply that we could actually change V's gender by the act of checking?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by RowlieBowlie View Post
    And that he is married, but not the gender of his mate.
    Really, if you knew that V's mate was a guy, would that make V a woman? It might add another level of "probably" or be another hint, but in our world there are guys who marry other guys. Girls who marry girls too. I don't really know of any compelling reasons to assume that the elven race has any problems with people marrying within their gender.

Frankly, even if V had just casually dropped a "my wife" comment in there, I wouldn't take that as Law that she's a he. He might in fact, still be a she even if she has a he for a mate!
    "Every harlot was a virgin once." - William Blake (1757 - 1827)

16. - Top - End - #226
    Firbolg in the Playground

V's gender, like much of the comic, is plot

17. - Top - End - #227
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vale View Post
    Really, if you knew that V's mate was a guy, would that make V a woman? It might add another level of "probably" or be another hint, but in our world there are guys who marry other guys. Girls who marry girls too. I don't really know of any compelling reasons to assume that the elven race has any problems with people marrying within their gender.
    True, I did not speculate on that, maybe because I still believe in mating would be done by a male and a female elf. But well, you're right and therefore I must apologise to all people that do indeed take lust for their own gender, since they are as much in this world as the ones that like the opposites.

I feel really numb for not including this in my calculations.
    Tam abra quam ebenus,
    Tam atra quam nix,
    Sanguinea

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

I whole heartedly say V is a man. Why? Because reading V's dialogue in a British male's voice is hilarious, and trying to do it in any feminine voice really does detract from it in my opinion.

Not that women can't use 'big words' or 'ramble'. I'm not being stereotypical. I just can't read aloud in a female voice.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

V is male. V must be male, because otherwise she would be the long sought after cure for the vicious disease that has spread through the female elven population, and has jumped the species barriers to humans and is even starting to spread to gnomes and dwarves.

What disease? Chainmail Bikini Syndrome, the mysterious force that causes half of a female elfs outfit to disappear as soon as she puts it on.

Ok, so that's a bit tongue in cheek. More seriously V seems to be trying to confuse the issue IC, and all the obvious misdirection has been to make him seem more female, implying that he's male.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
    V is male. V must be male, because otherwise she would be the long sought after cure for the vicious disease that has spread through the female elven population, and has jumped the species barriers to humans and is even starting to spread to gnomes and dwarves.

What disease? Chainmail Bikini Syndrome, the mysterious force that causes half of a female elfs outfit to disappear as soon as she puts it on.
    This may be the best argument ever.

As for my take on the issue, I've said this before--heck, probably in this very thread, but I don't feel like checking right now--it seems pretty obvious to me that Vaarsuvius was originally intended to be male, and was changed to androgynous once Rich realized the readers were divided on the issue.
    Last edited by Holy_Knight; 2007-03-22 at 01:02 AM.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

21. - Top - End - #231
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I am of the opinion that V is either both or neither, and before anyone says that it's impossible, consider: s/he's a 110-years-old-+ wizard, so s/he's had plenty of time to be affected by magical mishaps like her spell 'distant inferno'

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

V is a gender, though we will never know. You see, V IS a girl or a boy... excepth there was a birth defect, which failed to provide him/her with anything to reveal the gender. In fact, not even V knows. So there.
    Spoiler
    Show

VJ: Dr. Bath

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I have to say I wish to make love to your no saying the horrible pluralization of ninja rule.

I'm not a girl, and I'm not a boy. I'm an androgyne, so please don't call me "him" or "her" - call me "zi" instead if you can. If you've got a problem with this, then don't both flaming, I'll just ignore you.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by V Junior View Post
    a birth defect, which failed to provide him/her with anything to reveal the gender.
    ouch. And we already heard that V is married...

That would have been an uncomfortable honeymoon I'd think.
    "Every harlot was a virgin once." - William Blake (1757 - 1827)

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

When reading the comic I read V as a female. Just the way she was drawn. I figured the hair, the circlet, and the color scheme was more fitting for a female. Now as a guy with long hair I know that those aren't the best barometers, and I get annoyed when people call me "ma'am" when they have just seen me from behind. My opinion was not affected so much by V's responses to most things. I just thought "Hey, this elf chick is destructive and rants a lot, cool."
    There were times that I realized it wasn't as clear as I thought, especially once I read pronouns of both genders applied to her, and Belkar's comment about lizard reproductive systems. Actually that just made it plain as day.
    But overall, I think we can debate this into pages numbering in the thousands and people will still disagree. That is what is so awesome about this, not to mention that it makes for some good jokes.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I wonder what would happen if V put on the Belt of Gender changing Elan got from the Ogres?

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by korath View Post
    I wonder what would happen if V put on the Belt of Gender changing Elan got from the Ogres?
    It'd cause the end of the world

Also, Belkar would marry Miko.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I always just assumed V was male because of his name. I realise that this is not accepted as undeniable evidence; it's just what gave me my perception of his/her gender.

On another note, I don't understand why some people think V's comment in 3 makes him a woman, and that the people who disagree say that he was just trying to console Haley. Isn't that implying that all men care nothing about their appearances? I don't like that sort of gender stereotyping. A man can decide to wear a shirt that doesn't clash with his pants without being metro-/homosexual.
    Last edited by Rinion; 2007-04-02 at 01:15 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by korath View Post
    I doubt there would be any noticeable change. Still, it would be a great experiment if you can survive the resulting fireballs.
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
    Wait. Doesn't that imply that we could actually change V's gender by the act of checking?
    This must be by far the best comment about V I have ever read!!!!
    So I herd you liek Mudkipz by Mr. Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to both Mr Saturn and B-Man for their avatars!! Antiform Sora, Haloween Sora, Majora's Mask Link, Wolf Link & Midna, KH Sora and Christmas in July Sora

I was a Custom Title ITP!
    Lucky "Guess the Number" quote:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon_Fan View Post
    Great, Radikal fixed the dice...and by fixed, I mean "broke beyond repair and cheats irreparably."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I always pegged Vaarsuvius as a guy, actually. The name, for one, seemed then as masculine as it does now. Also, the first gender reference of Vaarsuvius, and indeed, the only one for many comics was Roy calling Vaarsuvius V-Man. Also, I still don't think Vaarsuvius looks particularly feminine, due to his/her elven nature.

As a matter of fact, I wasn't even aware of there being a gender confusion until I read the FAQ, back in the 200s, I think, at least 142 comics after I started reading.
    If humans were supposed to fly, it would've been in the errata by now.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I'll stand between any two murderers I want, thanks.