New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure; Part I: We're Lacking Poses!

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    It's...eh. I really GET what Araki was going for, and it fits the theme, but it still feels anticlimactic.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's an interesting theme (of Kira getting what he wanted, in a way), and I like the bonus theme of "Joseph and his son defeat their villains by SHEER LUCK", but I would have liked Josuke to be the one who threw the final punch, maybe he grabbed a piece of Kira's shirt (or one of those fancy buttons) when he got close before and sucked him back into Josuke's hands at the last second and then pummeled him.

It's kind of frustrating that Jotaro, after spending the whole season forgetting he can stop time remembers to do so in time to kill steal the one who did all the work. He's like Goku that way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    100% agreed on having Josuke deliver the final hit. Jotaro is...very much an example of Araki not wanting to shake the boat too much. This gets better as the series goes on.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Jotaro
    Show
    I thought Jotaro stopping time had negative effects of abused? Seeing as he's not an immortal vampire.

I might be misremembering, but I do recall Jotaro using his ability to stop time in most of his DiU fights. He just seems to treat it as a defensive move, using it to dodge attacks he shouldn't be able to our grab fast moving enemies, unlike Dio who used it to utterly destroy his opponents.

I also find Jotaro much less annoying in DiU compared to Stardust Crusaders, and he actually came across as cool. Maybe it's because he turned much less and we had Josuke as a much more expressive main character, but I find myself loving DiU Jotaro while not really caring for SC Jotaro.

Anyway, I loved DiU and I loved this final episode. I thought it all ended well and fit with the theme of the part.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2016-12-27 at 04:09 PM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #393

I'm sad that we never got the obvious best fight - Ratt vs Stray Cat! Both are largely stationary artillery users, there's the obvious predator-prey relationship, and they are the only non-hunan Stand users in this series.

Who would win, do you think? Assuming that Stray Cat's air bubbles could deflect Ratt's bullets, otherwise Ratt can just snipe Stray Cat from a hill somewhere and the fight is boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #394

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I'm sad that we never got the obvious best fight - Ratt vs Stray Cat! Both are largely stationary artillery users, there's the obvious predator-prey relationship, and they are the only non-hunan Stand users in this series.

Who would win, do you think? Assuming that Stray Cat's air bubbles could deflect Ratt's bullets, otherwise Ratt can just snipe Stray Cat from a hill somewhere and the fight is boring.
    A theoretical Stray Cat, not removed from the ground, could probably bud up various decoy plants and other artillery. So it'd actually be pretty interesting, even if Stray Cat can't block the bullets itself. Also, given the fact that the discarded bolts don't melt the grass on the ground, it's entirely possible that it's plant like nature protects it from the melting effect.

5. - Top - End - #395

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    A theoretical Stray Cat, not removed from the ground, could probably bud up various decoy plants and other artillery. So it'd actually be pretty interesting, even if Stray Cat can't block the bullets itself.
    Stray Cat can grow more of itself?

Also, given the fact that the discarded bolts don't melt the grass on the ground, it's entirely possible that it's plant like nature protects it from the melting effect.
    Stray Cat isn't entirely a plant, I think it's fair to say that the bullets would damage the part of it that lets it move and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #396

Stray Cat can grow more of itself?

Stray Cat isn't entirely a plant, I think it's fair to say that the bullets would damage the part of it that lets it move and stuff.
    I'm theorizing here

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Ending of Part 4
    Show
    To be fair, Part 4 is a story about daily life. Sure, it's a story about the daily lives of really bizarre people, but it's still a story about daily life. The protagonists are not allowed to kill people directly, because that will go against the main theme. So it "had" to be that they won via an accident (though it's more of a destined fate, since he was punched his lights out by Jotaro anyways). (Compare that to Part 5, or Godfather Giogio, where gangsters go kill each other in terribly grotesque ways.)

I honestly think the ending of the fight was fine (not that I'm a gigantic fan of it, but I understand it and think there's nothing much of a problem with it). The way I see it is that Josuke was never meant to be a superman, someone who can solve all the problems on his own - he's just a high school kid who's really witty and really brave. In the end, the solution of the problem is left to the adults. ...And Reimi.
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

8. - Top - End - #398
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

What's the worst stand?

Spoiler
    Show

I think it probably has to go to Ebony Devil, the stand that's not particularly powerful and won't help you until someone stabs you.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

9. - Top - End - #399

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    What's the worst stand?

Spoiler
    Show

I think it probably has to go to Ebony Devil, the stand that's not particularly powerful and won't help you until someone stabs you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ebony Devil is arguably the best because it shows how Jojo works, both in and out of universe. His power is to use his personal grudge against someone as a fuel source. So you'd THINK he's going to be a really dramatic character who hates one of the main characters.

But he's not. He's just some dude who sees which of the heroes is the easiest to get mad, and just pisses him off so much he gets the **** kicked out of him, ENSURING HIS VICTORY. It's hilarious.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Worst Stand
    Show

Highway to Hell. Yes, it's the ultimate spite stand, but in a universe where death is permanent (besides certain hax) killing yourself just to off an enemy is, at best, an even trade.

Even worse, it lacks even the basic benefits of many other (humanoid shaped) Stands like being able to pick up objects beyond your reach or communicate with other Stand users telepathically. It is utterly worthless except as a mutual kill weapon.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

[...] and they are the only non-hunan Stand users in this series.
    You're forgetting Forever (the gorilla with the Strength Stand), Iggy, Pet Shop and Foo Fighters.
    Last edited by The Troubadour; 2016-12-27 at 11:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

I believe he meant series as in season of the show. He may be from the UK or somewhere, not sure how widespread that difference is.

13. - Top - End - #403

SwashbucklerGuy

Oh, that makes sense.

And I have to agree that Highway to Hell and Notorious BIG are probably the worst Stands.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Re: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure; Part I: We're Lacking Poses!

don't think my body is ready for more sad grandpa episodes
    post this because I am right now in the middle of a
    Binge to catch back up with the series.Diamond is Unbreakable?
    but I can discuss everything up to part 2

15. - Top - End - #405

SwashbucklerGuy

Do we know when "Vento Aureo" will start?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Multiple Opinions missed because of Holiday Cheer (as a note, it'd be pretty great for them to swear to keep going up 'till part 7 on Christmas.)

Spoiler: Part 4 Climax
    Show
    The fight was won by the time everyone was getting ready to gang up on Kira. I honestly don't think it matters to e who finished it by the time he got surrounded and his plan was hanging around his ankles, because there was multiple ways it could have been finished. The Final Boss Fight was in defeating the Dragon, neutralizing the Bonus Weapon, and leaving him a dishoveled wreck of a man.

Though quite frankly, I think there's something that could be said for having Kira confess to the murders he's committed, using Hayato's video tapes as evidence, and have him arrested for the rest of his life, never able to sleep peacefully inside a prison (and obviously, having Heaven's Door prevent him from ever being able to use Killer Queen again). Though the only problem with that is the delay in allowing Reimi and Arnold to ensure Kira gets dragged to Hell.

Show
    I'm pretty sure that still goes to Holly's Unnamed and Uncontrollable Stand. Nothing like spiritual energy that saps the strength of its user.

As for Stands outright mentioned and used in story, I'ma put my vote to Cheap Trick, since anyone who gets it is ****ed. They literally had to send that **** to Hell to get rid of it.

Stray Cat vs Ratt: Anyone else wonder if there's enough non-human characters to have the weirdest Jojo fighting roster ever? Just a bunch of animals and plants and ****. It'd be epic. As for the actual fight, Stray Cat might be able to blow up (not in the sense of explosions, but just as to pop or what not) the bubbles in mid air, so it wouldn't be as immediately imbalanced as it might seem to be. That's a cool one....

-----

So, I've found my Jojo substitute (even as I find myself still burning with curiosity about Keijo!8). And it's "Making my friend watch Jojo!". That said, we've rediscovered 2 things I wanted to talk about.

Spoiler: The most Cringe Moment in Jojo
    Show
    I know I already mentioned talking about it, but I've gotta say it again after having watched the first part of that arc.

If Polnareff were a girl, I'd almost bet that they'd -never- be able to air the series. Not even the part with Alessi himself, HORRIFYING as it is, but the part where the sexy strange of opposite gender takes them home, strips them down, and washes their privates. Like, wow is the Double-Standard on full display there, and not even that's enough to make it not Fridge Horror as is... I'd almost decided to start skipping those episodes when running the series in the future; I think Alessi's Arc tops the Forever episode, at least over all...

Rewatching this series has me completely bamboozled on how censors work. I thought it was violence that was fine and sex that was taboo, not the other way around.

Also, the 2nd thing I wanted to talk about; poor Oingo. He deserved to have a future. Moot point I suppose, but still.

---------------

Additionally, I've been trying to find info about Ventor Aureo too. I've only seen the commercials in which the part 5 team complains about part 4's anime / advertises the manga. Or at least, that's all I've seen that have looked official.

17. - Top - End - #407

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Rewatching this series has me completely bamboozled on how censors work. I thought it was violence that was fine and sex that was taboo, not the other way around.
    I think it's only in US. In other countries, or at least europe, it's violence that's censored but sex's fine. Like, in europe movies or games with bare breasts or depiction of sex are rated younger, while the ones with violence rated higher.

I know for sure that at least back then, depiction of childhood nudity is common in children manga in japan since it's considered innocent. I have complete collection of Doraemon from my childhood and there're quite some depiction of the cast nude for comedic reason.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

18. - Top - End - #408

Vento Aureo is probably starting "next year" by which I mean "from the original start of DIUB", like how it was a year between Stardust and Diamond.

Prepare for a long wait yo.

19. - Top - End - #409

SwashbucklerGuy

Show
    I'm pretty sure that still goes to Holly's Unnamed and Uncontrollable Stand. Nothing like spiritual energy that saps the strength of its user.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think that would count: it's not the Stand's ability that is draining Holly, it's the very fact that she has a Stand while she doesn't have the spirit for it. Theoretically, even if she were to develop a Stand similar to Crazy Diamond in nature, she would still be slowly killed by it.

Good catch on Cheap Trick, though. Definitely worse than Notorious BIG, for instance.

Vento Aureo is probably starting "next year" by which I mean "from the original start of DIUB", like how it was a year between Stardust and Diamond.

Damn.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

I just picked up volume 1 of Phantom Blood and I have to say that, while I love the anime to pieces I have to admit it really rushed the pacing of Part 1 (although I understand why). It's also interesting in that the incredibly muscular characters look better in the manga for some reason.

It's also interesting to see the bit at the back where Araki talks about coming up with Jonathan, because he seems to have created the honourable Joestar as a foil to the scheming Brando, and it reminded why I loved Dio in part 1 far more than in part 3 (because he actually had someone to play off and cam across as really caring about Jonathan). I can't wait until I'm reading Part 2.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I think it's only in US. In other countries, or at least europe, it's violence that's censored but sex's fine. Like, in europe movies or games with bare breasts or depiction of sex are rated younger, while the ones with violence rated higher.

I know for sure that at least back then, depiction of childhood nudity is common in children manga in japan since it's considered innocent. I have complete collection of Doraemon from my childhood and there're quite some depiction of the cast nude for comedic reason.
    Like, I get that the US is way more prudish than basically everywhere else in the world. Sincerely, I know that our obsession with violence and tits while trying to hide both is almost hypocritical, and yet we excuse only the former because War might be the only time in which we can stop feeling bad about the stuff happening inside us ourselves (and that's probably as far as I need to go before this post gets too political).

But seriously, am I alone in saying that episode/arc is a lot more uncomfortable than potentially anything else in the series (at least so far)? I wouldn't remove it, because I'm glad this guy writes whatever the hell he feels like; Jojo's probably one of the last "mainstream manga" series I've known since I was young and have been glad to -keep- knowing. But I mean.... Yeesh...

Quote Originally Posted by The Troubadour View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think that would count: it's not the Stand's ability that is draining Holly, it's the very fact that she has a Stand while she doesn't have the spirit for it. Theoretically, even if she were to develop a Stand similar to Crazy Diamond in nature, she would still be slowly killed by it.

Good catch on Cheap Trick, though. Definitely worse than Notorious BIG, for instance.
    Spoiler: Part 5 Spoilers
    Show
    I forgot that the Stand never manifested as anything else, and probably just went unused after Holly stopped being killed by it. I wonder what her Stand would have been...

I also wonder; did GioGio ever have to endure that? I'm trying hard to remember the start of Part 5 without looking it up, and I mainly remember Black Sabbath and "Treat this Gun that I made from your Banana as if it were you last meal" and "THIS SWEAT; IT'S GOT THE TASTE... OF A LIAR!" Since GioJo was connected to the Joestar line, was he also nearly murdered by his own Stand Power before he could control it and turn it into Gold Experience? Or do you think being a Dhampyr gave him an edge up in that department. I mean, Kid Polnareff was able to still keep a lid on Silver Chariot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Troubadour View Post
    Damn.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I just picked up volume 1 of Phantom Blood and I have to say that, while I love the anime to pieces I have to admit it really rushed the pacing of Part 1 (although I understand why). It's also interesting in that the incredibly muscular characters look better in the manga for some reason.

It's also interesting to see the bit at the back where Araki talks about coming up with Jonathan, because he seems to have created the honourable Joestar as a foil to the scheming Brando, and it reminded why I loved Dio in part 1 far more than in part 3 (because he actually had someone to play off and cam across as really caring about Jonathan). I can't wait until I'm reading Part 2.
    I admit, I never read Part 1. Should I go back and fix that on my part? I know the anime rushed it, but I assumed it wouldn't butcher anything this time around, as opposed to the previous adaptations that had to cut and modify stuff to meet budget and duration limits.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Like, I get that the US is way more prudish than basically everywhere else in the world.
    I mean seriously, how did you manage it? You managed to out-prude us Brits, and that's saying something.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and pretend that sex doesn't exist until one of my friends brings it up again, or I just get bored, or I want to see if we can make the university chaplain uncomfortable.

I admit, I never read Part 1. Should I go back and fix that on my part? I know the anime rushed it, but I assumed it wouldn't butcher anything this time around, as opposed to the previous adaptations that had to cut and modify stuff to meet budget and duration limits.
    It's interesting. At least so far it's not that anything's been butchered, although the manga moves ever so slightly slower so far. I only have Volume 1, I plan to buy the others as I come across them in shops, but it just flows slightly better. The anime does leave out the opening scene, but honestly it's not needed for the story. I suspect that, as Part 1 is relatively weak compared to the rest (meaning it's only a darn good read instead of the best manga I've read) the production team simply streamlined it so they could move onto part 2 quicker. Everything's a little bit faster, but it's not a necessary read.

I really like these hardback volumes they're doing. It's an extra £3* per volume but the covers are really nice, the paper feels slightly higher quality than normal, and they look really nice as display volumes while still being easily readable (I have one other book suitable to be displayed and it is not particularly pleasant to read).

* I pay about £9.99 per volume of One Punch Man. JoJo is £12.99 per volume, but is hardback rather than paperback and slightly larger.

Show

23. - Top - End - #413

Nah, everyone I know find it uncomfortable, I'm just responding to your mention on how people censor sex and not violence.

But anyway, the only interest in part 1 for me (I read it way back then) is to see how the series start from a fist of north star clone basically. Though there's one part that I really like. I really like the depiction on how zeppeli punched jonathan to cure him
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

24. - Top - End - #414
    Orc in the Playground

Jojo's censorship is sometimes the most Bizarre part of watching it. Some things make sense, but other things - particularly anything to do with cigarettes in part 3 - gets weirder the more you think about it. Oh well, at least we don't have to deal with 4kids turning beer into a refreshing bottle of OJ any more.

(Created by me. I should probably put that on there somewhere.)

25. - Top - End - #415

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreward View Post
    Jojo's censorship is sometimes the most Bizarre part of watching it. Some things make sense, but other things - particularly anything to do with cigarettes in part 3 - gets weirder the more you think about it. Oh well, at least we don't have to deal with 4kids turning beer into a refreshing bottle of OJ any more.
    Japan can't show school age kids smoking. That's the end of it.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Orc in the Playground

Japan can't show school age kids smoking. That's the end of it.
    Unless it's actually another person disguised as that character, which was the point I found funny - but yes, I am aware of the reason.

(Created by me. I should probably put that on there somewhere.)

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Near as I can tell when it comes to nude children in Japan it's considered fine because it's not sexual. It's something like anything under the age of 6 it's perfectly fine to have full frontal male nudity because it's completely innocent and natural and all that jazz.

That's why you get a face full of Goku, Shin, Naruto, and Zatch/Gatch wang if you've ever watched any of their respective shows.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Just realized we've been discussing JoJo in the not-JoJo thread for a while now. Let's move on over here!

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Well I've finally got round to reading more of Part 5 and this is a much better part. It has a much tighter story so far while still having the crazy Stands Part 4 has made me come to expect (Sticky Fingers is scary with those zippers). Plus I'm just loving the character designs, everybody looks 'right' while remaining distinct.

Show

30. - Top - End - #420

SwashbucklerGuy

That moment when you realise that the director of "Diamond is Unbreakable" 's first half was also the director for the awesome samurai movie "13 Assassins"...

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Well I've finally got round to reading more of Part 5 and this is a much better part. It has a much tighter story so far while still having the crazy Stands Part 4 has made me come to expect (Sticky Fingers is scary with those zippers). Plus I'm just loving the character designs, everybody looks 'right' while remaining distinct.

Indeed, Part 5 is also awesome. Bucciaratti and Mista are two of my favourite "JoJo" characters.