New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure; Part I: We're Lacking Poses!

Stardust Crusader's main problem was that That Dio was just underused. He is a great fantastic badguy..but shows up so little that it does really feel like a monster of the week story with no overarching plot sometimes.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Stardust Crusader's main problem was that That Dio was just underused. He is a great fantastic badguy..but shows up so little that it does really feel like a monster of the week story with no overarching plot sometimes.
    I think he's appeared twice so far. At least in Phantom Blood he always managed to show up before Jonathan, hammily announce his latest plan or who his minions are, foil an attempt to kill him, and manage to hammily sneak off to do it all again in a couple of episodes (exact details may differ).

Kars may have been more threatening and more competent as a villain, but Doo's personality means that, when be bothers to show up, he's an awesome villain. I don't want 'generic shadow face guy', I want the villain who used his freezing powers to stop Ripple masters from destroying him and turned a whole village into zombies.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'd say you don't want to risk overexposing an awesome character, though.
    I think he shows up often enough, especially since whenever he shows up, we're reminded of how dangerous he already is (and in one of his last "shadowed" appearances, we get a glimpse of his Stand powers that whets the imagination).

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

DIO had little screen time on purpose for two reasons. Araki has stated these in an interview:

1) There's an old Japanese saying, "Hisuru ga Hana", roughly translated as "Anything hidden becomes a flower". It means that when something is concealed, imagination makes it look more beautiful than it actually is.
    Araki thought that if DIO comes out too much, the readers will become used to him and not think of him as a menacing, shocking villain in the final showdown. Araki also hid the face of DIO with shadows for this reason, because he will look more ominous if his face is shrouded in darkness.

2) Araki thought that if DIO's face comes out too early, the readers would think "JUST F***ING SKIP TO THE DIO FIGHT ALREADY" instead of enjoying each filler episode (but Araki was forced to make filler episodes anyways, because Shonen Jump). So he wanted to make sure that DIO remains vague.

I too think the rarity of the scenes in which DIO appear help make him stand out when he appears (no pun intended). Even if his face is hidden, the scenes such as when he talks with Enya about how he thinks "to live is to overcome fear" are really fascinating and memorable.
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

5. - Top - End - #245

Planetar

When I watched stardust crusaders AI had kinda forgotten what DIO looked like, and when I finally saw him in all his glory I instantly was on the edge of my seat. DIO's rarity makes the episodes like "DIO's World" some of my favorite.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Dio's World spoilers
    Show
    The only problem with DIO is that he turned rock stupid all of a sudden during the fight with Jotaro. I can almost forgive the latter half since Jotaro literally punches his brains out, but the first part of that fight is just frustrating to watch. Not as frustrating as it is to watch Joseph lose to D'Arby because LITERALLY THE FIRST REAL THING YOU LEARNED HOW TO DO WITH HAMON WAS MAKE WATER STAY IN A CUP GOD DAMMIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Where was I?

Oh yeah, DIO plays it about 1000% safer than he needed to just because Jotaro had to win somehow. After the first time Jotaro doesn't so much as twitch while time is stopped that should have ended it. It stretches disbelief just a little too far that DIO, a man defined almost entirely by his ARROGANCE is being such a wimp about fighting Jotaro.

And what happened to your eye lasers man?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gastronomie View Post
    DIO had little screen time on purpose for two reasons. Araki has stated these in an interview:

1) There's an old Japanese saying, "Hisuru ga Hana", roughly translated as "Anything hidden becomes a flower". It means that when something is concealed, imagination makes it look more beautiful than it actually is.
    Araki thought that if DIO comes out too much, the readers will become used to him and not think of him as a menacing, shocking villain in the final showdown. Araki also hid the face of DIO with shadows for this reason, because he will look more ominous if his face is shrouded in darkness.
    Maybe, but considering at this point he'd have to drain blood from the scenery and casually kill everyone in Cairo in order to reach my expectations, I'm bracing myself for disappointment. The reason he was such a good villain in Part 1 was because the part was compact, and so played to his strengths, and he was on screen enough that I could grow to love him as the entertainingly evil man he is. While I agree that DIO might not be as shocking as he is if I saw him every fourth episode, I'm fairly certain that he still would have been menacing. Heck, Xykon has proven that your villain can be comedic, threatening, and not shocking all at the same time (the last time I was shocked by him was during War and XPs, but that's because I'd taken him for someone who blundered through on power).

2) Araki thought that if DIO's face comes out too early, the readers would think "JUST F***ING SKIP TO THE DIO FIGHT ALREADY" instead of enjoying each filler episode (but Araki was forced to make filler episodes anyways, because Shonen Jump). So he wanted to make sure that DIO remains vague.
    I don't know if the fights flow better in the manga, but at least while watching the anime I'm just bored of all these two-parter fights. Bast was entertaining, but the last time I actually enjoyed an episode was the Oingo Boingo brothers one, and that's because it was such a break from formula. I am thinking 'just skip to the ******* fight with DIO already!', it feels like every time they take a step closer to DIO the pace the plot moves slows down.

I too think the rarity of the scenes in which DIO appear help make him stand out when he appears (no pun intended). Even if his face is hidden, the scenes such as when he talks with Enya about how he thinks "to live is to overcome fear" are really fascinating and memorable.
    I loved those scenes. I wanted more of those scenes. They appeared at just the right frequency, and showed me the DIO I want. But they stopped when Enya died (my favourite fight in the series so far, actually), and there's been nothing to replace them. Its been like 20 episodes and I'm suffering from DIO withdrawal!

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, the main problem is all those 2-parters. They all should be 1 parter, and the flow would be much better.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the part 3 manga was really extended too much, because Shonen Jump.

And since the manga fans in Japan are like cultists, the anime staff decided to go with them and make sure everything in the original manga becomes animated, without any summarization or snipping-out at all.

That's why there are so many 2-parters in part 3. Animating everything in the original manga was more important than pacing, at least for the creators.
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Show
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Spoiler: Dio's World spoilers
    Show
    The only problem with DIO is that he turned rock stupid all of a sudden during the fight with Jotaro. I can almost forgive the latter half since Jotaro literally punches his brains out, but the first part of that fight is just frustrating to watch. Not as frustrating as it is to watch Joseph lose to D'Arby because LITERALLY THE FIRST REAL THING YOU LEARNED HOW TO DO WITH HAMON WAS MAKE WATER STAY IN A CUP GOD DAMMIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Where was I?

Oh yeah, DIO plays it about 1000% safer than he needed to just because Jotaro had to win somehow. After the first time Jotaro doesn't so much as twitch while time is stopped that should have ended it. It stretches disbelief just a little too far that DIO, a man defined almost entirely by his ARROGANCE is being such a wimp about fighting Jotaro.

And what happened to your eye lasers man?
    Spoiler: Dio being a coward?
    Show
    I'm actually going to disagree 100% on this, with a simple note.

Where did Dio's arrogance go? It went down the pit of his castle when Johnathan beat him with the beat of his blood and he was forced to sever his head from the rest of his body to survive, and then had to spend the time between then and the steam ship mulling over all the mistakes he did, and then spent nearly one hundred years trapped in a coffin under the sea, attached to his rival's body, thinking on those mistakes. Thinking on how even in his last moments Johnathan almost beat him, again, even with his windpipe destroyed.

Dio is not being cowardly with Jotaro, Dio is being realistically cautious when dealing with this family. I actually think it's REALLY good writing. Dio throws his knives at Jotaro and they peg him in all his vital points and he falls 50 feet and slams into the concrete and Dio goes "Okay so a real human would be dead but this is a Joestar so to be EXTRA SURE he's ****ING DEAD, I'm going to slice off his head. But to be ABSOLUTELY sure, I'm going to double and TRIPLE check that he is ACTUALLY dead because I know Johnathan fell off an entire building with me and broke his body and HE survived, and I've sent every badass I know at these people and they've ALL BEEN KILLED, so I can NOT take ANY CHANCES. I'm NOT LOSING AGAIN, EVER."

That's where his arrogance went. It was tempered into an steel resolved desire to never lose again. You can argue that maybe he's being TOO cautious...but if he had just approached Jotaro in that scene...JOTARO WOULD OF SNEAK ATTACKED HIM. If he had left Jotaro there assuming he had dead, HE WOULD BE WRONG. Dio was "cowardly" but he was also RIGHT TO BE.

I do agree that not using his vampire powers is VERY silly, but it makes sense given he is so proud in the power of his Stand that he wouldn't.

11. - Top - End - #251

SwashbucklerGuy

I fully agree with LaZodiac. As for

Spoiler: Dio's Part 3 abilities
    Show
    his vampiric powers, I think it makes sense for him to not use them in the fight. For starters, he's still not fully bonded to Jonathan's body, so we don't know if he's even retained all of them. More importantly, though, the fact is that they're all very underpowered compared to Stands. Can his freezing touch actually compare to The World's destructive power, for instance? The only one which might have been useful is his eyebeam, but considering a regressed-to-infancy Silver Chariot could parry machine gun fire at close range, I doubt Star Platinum couldn't have blocked them somehow - especially since we don't know if they can harm Stands at all.

That said, it's not as if Dio's vampiric nature doesn't play a part anymore. His flesh buds are very important to the plot, and his vampiric resilience and regeneration let him survive Jotaro's attacks (including one which hit him directly on the head) and recover from them right until the last one.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Vampire Powers
    Show

You are correct that they wouldn't hurt Stands ("Only a Stand can harm another Stand" and so on) but what they can work on is the Stand USER.

Star Platinum and The World are evenly matched (or, even, The World is a bit stronger) and Star Platinum has his hands full ORAORAing all of the MUDAMUDAs away.

A little bit of sharpened eye goo into Jotaro's brainpan while Star Platinum is occupied would have gone a long way. And if Star Platinum does manage to grab them out of the air and do a little damage to your corneas (without being pounded brutally by The World for only fending him off with one hand)...good thing you can heal, eh?

The problem here, of course, is inconsistency. If we consider that Zodiac is correct, and DIO is being overly cautious because his arrogance is gone or subsumed by a desire to not lose...then he would have used every trick at his disposal to defeat Jotaro. In fact, he supposedly tried to, using his ability to control his veins to shoot blood into Jotaro's eyes (proving he still has his vampiric powers at the very least by the time he's fully bonded to Jonathan's body).

If we instead assume that his arrogance is intact, he wouldn't have been so overly cautious in the first part of the fight.

Neither explanation makes sense or is consistent with the actions taking place. Which is bad writing.

The fight is still hype as ****, and the launcher of 1000 memes, but it's not well written.

13. - Top - End - #253

You know, Rohan has one massive weakness. You can defeat him by putting a bomb inside a box and telling him "you're not supposed to open the box."

He'd be like "I'm curious! Telling me to not open the box makes me want to open the box even more! Also, let's lick a spider."

I guess he'd have his mind reading ability, but you can defeat it by making it three box and putting bomb in two of them I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254

SwashbucklerGuy

[...]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, Star Platinum displayed a slight but noticeable advantage over The World in terms of agility and precision - how else do you think Jotaro managed to put a magnet on Dio without the latter noticing? See also: http://mangafox.me/manga/jojo_no_kim...7/c256/11.html, http://mangafox.me/manga/jojo_no_kim...8/c262/16.html (the second example is even after Dio drained Joseph's blood).

You're also overestimating the threat of the Space Ripper Stingy Eyes. They were incredibly dangerous against Jonathan, who was caught off-guard, but Joseph redirected them easily even though Straits shot them at close range; Star Platinum is much, MUCH faster than Joseph (and it can also be summoned inside Jotaro to protect him - see here: http://mangafox.me/manga/jojo_no_kim...28/c260/8.html). Really, which do you think is faster and harder to dodge: the eyebeams, or a barrage of knives thrown with The World's superstrength?

It also seems the eyebeams can't be used willy-nilly. Straits was explicitly giving it his all to kill Joseph, but he still didn't use them while also attacking in melee. I imagine the physiological control necessary to fire them off requires some amount of concentration.

You're ALSO overestimating vampiric regeneration. Depending on the level of damage, Dio would need to drain someone to regenerate.

Finally, I'll reiterate what LaZodiac said: you're complaining about Dio being overly cautious when he had every reason to be. The fact of the matter is that both times he went in thinking Jotaro couldn't defend himself, Jotaro did just that and dealt blows which would have been fatal to anyone who wasn't a vampire! See: http://mangafox.me/manga/jojo_no_kim...8/c257/15.html, http://mangafox.me/manga/jojo_no_kim...8/c260/17.html.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Guy's the answer is simple: Akari tends to just forget powers every once in a while. No shame in it.

if you want a "Special" Explanation Dio couldn't use any powers except his head based ones and regeneration because his body hadn't adjusted yet, and Stinger eyes he didn't feel like using because he had knives.

Like I could come up with minor nitpicky explanations as to why he can't use some powers and not others. "Im not fully in control" is a nice general one. And overall its a good fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    You know, Rohan has one massive weakness. You can defeat him by putting a bomb inside a box and telling him "you're not supposed to open the box."

He'd be like "I'm curious! Telling me to not open the box makes me want to open the box even more! Also, let's lick a spider."

I guess he'd have his mind reading ability, but you can defeat it by making it three box and putting bomb in two of them I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    God bless Rohan Kishibi, that poor dumb idiot.

So the next episode this week was awesome.

Spoiler
    Show
    We finish of Superfly with the really fantastic "hey, your attacks are delivered by hurting your stand, causing damage to shoot off like bullets. I'll heal it so it unfires and thus hits you" plan, that makes way too much sense. Then we get to see Rohan once again forget that he does not read everyone's secrets when using Heaven's Door, he reads "their perception of themselves."

And then...then we get Enigma. Or Mysterioso, in the copyright friendly version. And this is where the anime really shows it's badassery. Because unlike the manga, in the ANIME, every time that "tell of fear" could happen...it does. Massive foreshadowing. Hell yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by The Troubadour View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, Star Platinum displayed a slight but noticeable advantage over The World in terms of agility and precision - how else do you think Jotaro managed to put a magnet on Dio without the latter noticing? See also: http://mangafox.me/manga/jojo_no_kim...7/c256/11.html, http://mangafox.me/manga/jojo_no_kim...8/c262/16.html (the second example is even after Dio drained Joseph's blood).

You're also overestimating the threat of the Space Ripper Stingy Eyes. They were incredibly dangerous against Jonathan, who was caught off-guard, but Joseph redirected them easily even though Straits shot them at close range; Star Platinum is much, MUCH faster than Joseph (and it can also be summoned inside Jotaro to protect him - see here: http://mangafox.me/manga/jojo_no_kim...28/c260/8.html). Really, which do you think is faster and harder to dodge: the eyebeams, or a barrage of knives thrown with The World's superstrength?

It also seems the eyebeams can't be used willy-nilly. Straits was explicitly giving it his all to kill Joseph, but he still didn't use them while also attacking in melee. I imagine the physiological control necessary to fire them off requires some amount of concentration.

You're ALSO overestimating vampiric regeneration. Depending on the level of damage, Dio would need to drain someone to regenerate.

Finally, I'll reiterate what LaZodiac said: you're complaining about Dio being overly cautious when he had every reason to be. The fact of the matter is that both times he went in thinking Jotaro couldn't defend himself, Jotaro did just that and dealt blows which would have been fatal to anyone who wasn't a vampire! See: http://mangafox.me/manga/jojo_no_kim...8/c257/15.html, http://mangafox.me/manga/jojo_no_kim...8/c260/17.html.
    All of this is 100% true, ESPECIALLY the last bits. The two times Dio DID NOT decide to act cautiously, if he was still a mortal HE WOULD BE DEAD. Just ****IN' DEAD. I'll put it the way my friend who is watching all of Jojo blind did. Dio in part 1 WAS a good villain. He was scary, intimidating, and cocksure. But he didn't quite get why everyone LIKED DIO THAT MUCH.

Then we got to Part 3. He see's Dio look at basically every single classic overconfident villain trope, and SPIT IN IT'S FACE. Dio does he ABSOLUTE DAMNDEST to prove that he is not some typical villain who'll let gravity do the work for him, who'll underestimate his opponents. He's DONE that before. He knows how that turns out. So yeah, he'll go cut off Jotaro's head JUST TO BE SURE. But he won't just approach it willy nilly, he'll sniff the air to make sure he's not breathing, he'll listen to the ground from outside his attack range to see if his heat's beating, he'll approach slowly and carefully JUST IN CASE, because Stand's could stop his heart and he COULD hold his breath, that's NOT IMPOSSIBLE, and as we know it WASN'T. Dio did EVERYTHING RIGHT, and he's one of the only villains I, and my friend, have ever seen who's FAILED and LEARNED FROM IT.

And that's why Dio is such a good villain. And why Kira, in Part 4, is ALSO such a great villain, because the contrast is BEAUTIFUL.

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Guy's the answer is simple: Akari tends to just forget powers every once in a while. No shame in it.

if you want a "Special" Explanation Dio couldn't use any powers except his head based ones and regeneration because his body hadn't adjusted yet, and Stinger eyes he didn't feel like using because he had knives.

Like I could come up with minor nitpicky explanations as to why he can't use some powers and not others. "Im not fully in control" is a nice general one. And overall its a good fight.
    We don't often agree on things (like, ever) but this is true. There are so many perfectly reasonable explanations for why Dio can't do all his fancy vampire **** that we can just...hand wave it aside because it makes the story better.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    We don't often agree on things (like, ever) but this is true. There are so many perfectly reasonable explanations for why Dio can't do all his fancy vampire **** that we can just...hand wave it aside because it makes the story better.
    Its all Jojo. Akari makes the impossible- possible.
    A little condescending

18. - Top - End - #258

SwashbucklerGuy

Eh, other than
    Spoiler
    Show
    Annasui in Part 6
    , I don't really remember that happening. Do we have any other examples?

Dio did EVERYTHING RIGHT, and he's one of the only villains I, and my friend, have ever seen who's FAILED and LEARNED FROM IT.
    Indeed! That's part of the reason why I like "Rurouni Kenshin" 's Shishio as well.
    Last edited by The Troubadour; 2016-11-05 at 01:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, other than
    Spoiler
    Show
    Annasui in Part 6
    Well we where just talking about Dio.

Pretty much all of part 4 with Joseph not using hermit purple (Despite being there for reasons of hermit purple).

But Il forgive because hes so cute with that baby.
    A little condescending

20. - Top - End - #260

Eh, other than
    Spoiler
    Show
    Annasui in Part 6

Indeed! That's part of the reason why I like "Rurouni Kenshin" 's Shishio as well.
    Spoiler: PArt 4 and 5 spoilers
    Show
    From this arc: Kira never uses Sheer Heart Attack again, though the reason for why is readily evident and sensible. They know how to beat it and can actually destroy it so why bother?

From Part 5: Less "he forgot the power" and more "lol what's power scaling" Fugo's sheer EXISTENCE. He's too strong.

The only thing better than a sneering, truly evil badass villian, is one who is SMART.

Pretty much all of part 4 with Joseph not using hermit purple (Despite being there for reasons of hermit purple).

I figured that was Josuke not trying to bother the nearly 90 year old man with dangerous stuff. Which is another of those readily obvious reasons as to "why is X thing not happening?"

Also hell yeah, Achtung! Baby is a great character who I wish did more in the series. Her power is cool. Weaponizing invisibility.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Part 5
    Show
    I once read (forgot where) that the reason Fugo quit the group in the middle of the story was, for one, because he was originally created as a character who will later betray the team in a plot twist. In this version of the story, Chocolata did not exist, and as the final encounter before Diavolo, Fugo ravaged Rome with his Purple Haze instead. That's why his and Chocolata's abilities are sorta similar in what they do.

However, things were changed because Araki later decided it was too tragic for Bucchalati and the others, given how the team was portrayed to be generally really trusting of each other. Araki trashed the idea, and changed Fugo from a traitor to just "someone without the guts".
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Also hell yeah, Achtung! Baby is a great character who I wish did more in the series. Her power is cool. Weaponizing invisibility.
    Problem is that Achtung baby is just a very powerful support baby, as well as not being fun to look at (Which was Akaris Motive for creating Stands).

I mean with her in combat, any battle would be overwhelming for any enemy not capable of seeing all invisibility. She can make weapons disapear, as well as being able to aid her allies as well (How about Invisible Jotaro, and invisible Star Platinum vs you?).
    A little condescending

23. - Top - End - #263

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: PArt 4 and 5 spoilers
    Show
    From this arc: Kira never uses Sheer Heart Attack again, though the reason for why is readily evident and sensible. They know how to beat it and can actually destroy it so why bother?

From Part 5: Less "he forgot the power" and more "lol what's power scaling" Fugo's sheer EXISTENCE. He's too strong.
    But most of those aren't really "Araki forgot about someone's powers". I mean, Superman isn't contractually obligated to use his heat vision every issue, right? :-) Joseph apparently not using Hermit Purple to try and find Kira is a good one, though. Personally, I chalk it up to Hermit Purple's limited "sight" - back in "Stardust Crusaders", they still had to scour Cairo looking for the exact building in Joseph's photo, for instance.

I did think of one example which bothered me a lot the first time I read the series, and I think someone already brought it up: Joseph not using Hamon in his bet with D'arby. Later, though, I figured it would be really obvious if he did something like that, which would count as cheating.
    Last edited by The Troubadour; 2016-11-05 at 11:25 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264

But most of those aren't really "Araki forgot about someone's powers". I mean, Superman isn't contractually obligated to use his heat vision every issue, right? :-) Joseph apparently not using Hermit Purple to try and find Kira is a good one, though. Personally, I chalk it up to Hermit Purple's limited "sight" - back in "Stardust Crusaders", they still had to scour Cairo looking for the exact building in Joseph's photo, for instance.

I did think of one example which bothered me a lot the first time I read the series, and I think someone already brought it up: Joseph not using Hamon in his bet with D'arby. Later, though, I figured it would be really obvious if he did something like that, which would count as cheating.
    I'd been thinking on it and honestly that's true. Joseph probably would of been pretty obvious if he used Hamon to cheat.

I do kind of wish Hamon stayed "relevant" through the series, if only because I like cool martial arts. But it's okay that it didn't since Stands rule.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, other than
    Spoiler
    Show
    Annasui in Part 6
    Part 3:

-Joseph refusing to use Hamon any time when it would be useful (which is many, many times during part 3). Yeah he's "out of practice"...until he needs to use it to cover his whole body in Hamon'd up Hermit Purple vines. Most egregious vs D'arby and even more so when there was a prime opportunity for Joseph to shine in a fight against ZOMBIES, the one thing his power is tailor made to deal with!

-Kakyoin's abilities to possess people and perform frickin' voodoo sympathetic magic never show up again after their first use.

-Aforementioned, ANY of Dio's vampire abilities when they'd be useful. Everyone saying he can't use them is proven wrong by the fact that he uses them in really dumb ways. Yeah, supposedly Star Platinum could stop the Stingy Eyes...except it couldn't stop a high pressure blood stream to the eyes (which is most likely much slower), so Jotaro was wide open.

-Silver Chariot's ability to cut things like fire.

Part 4 (So far):

-I am convinced Okuyasu frequently forgets he HAS a Stand. Possibly excused by the fact that he's as dumb as a box of rocks but can anyone really be THAT dumb?

-Not necessarily forgetting, but Star Platinum/The World is under-utilized. You can cover A LOT of ground in just one second. This part could have believably been over after Kira actually showed up at the tailor's because Jotaro could probably have made good ground across the room and next to him.

-More egregiously, forgetting how Crazy Diamond's fixing powers work (or can work). Why follow the arm back to Kira when you can pull Kira back to the arm like you did when Okuyasu was dragged off by red Hot Chili Pepper?

-Where did the restriction on Heaven's Door that required the victim to look at a page from Rohan's manga go?

Plus the others mentioned.

Part 5 (and beyond):

-I stopped reading at the end of Stardust Crusaders, so I'm actually relatively blind going forward into part 4's endgame and beyond outside of minor-ish spoilers about how certain stands work. Either because of their memetic nature (King Crimson, Scary Monsters) or just how much people talk about them (Golden Experience Requiem, and unfortunately Stairway to Heaven).

Like any writer in such a dense series, Araki forgets a lot of things.

Edit: Oh, big one here. Stand users being able to fly. Or, at the least, JOTARO being able to fly. Never shown again.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2016-11-06 at 01:43 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266

-Where did the restriction on Heaven's Door that required the victim to look at a page from Rohan's manga go?

Edit: Oh, big one here. Stand users being able to fly. Or, at the least, JOTARO being able to fly. Never shown again.
    Pointing out these two specifically for a reason. I think he explains it, but the idea is that Rohan's stand just got STRONGER. He became a stronger person and thus got used to using his stand better, so it's evolved, like Koichi's Echoes.

Not fly. Jump good.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'd say you don't want to risk overexposing an awesome character, though.
    I think he shows up often enough, especially since whenever he shows up, we're reminded of how dangerous he already is (and in one of his last "shadowed" appearances, we get a glimpse of his Stand powers that whets the imagination).
    I would agree if most of Dio's minions were not blaaaaaannnnnnddd

28. - Top - End - #268

Part 3:

Part 4 (So far):

Oh rohan's restriction, yeah, he just got stronger. Also, if you notice he actually still draw heaven's door really quick, on the air, so I guess people still need to see that..

And I don't think any random stand users could fly. If you're thinking about part 3 finale, dio and jotaro just jump around real good.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Oh rohan's restriction, yeah, he just got stronger. Also, if you notice he actually still draw heaven's door really quick, on the air, so I guess people still need to see that..

And I don't think any random stand users could fly. If you're thinking about part 3 finale, dio and jotaro just jump around real good.
    I can buy his Stand evolved, yeah. Wasn't really mentioned though, could have used at least a line from Rohan saying it did..

And that's not what the art suggests to me (in either the manga or anime), but aight, we can go with that. I can see how that can be seen.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

I do kind of wish Hamon stayed "relevant" through the series, if only because I like cool martial arts. But it's okay that it didn't since Stands rule.
    It's strange, I've got no problem with Hamon disappearing from fight scenes, apart from Joseph all the main characters have combat Stands and unfortunately we don't get to see much of Joseph fighting (although having seen him fighting Bast he's still as tricky and clever as ever). Joseph's tendency to begin battles by pulling out some dirty trick as his second or occasionally first move means that, while he may no longer be as strong as Jotaro is, his fights are generally much more fun to watch.

What I actually miss is the utility aspects of Hamon. We know what it doesn't affect living beings, can be used to increase grip, stop liquid from falling out of a glass, break inanimate objects, and so on.

Oh, and is it just me, or does Joseph sometimes seem to forget that his stand can be used for stuff besides whipping (such as making a top-down picture of Cairo to speed their search?)

I'm looking forward to when I reach Steel Ball Run, as far as I've seen the Spin seems to remain useful even when people get stands.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    I would agree if most of Dio's minions were not blaaaaaannnnnnddd
    Of Dio's minions I like Hol Horse and Enya. The others just seemed a lot blander to me, or even more one dimensional than Hol Horse.

Show