New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GMR 17 Onto new pastures?

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    Terra is fun. Puts a fair amount of pressure on the early game since you get less space in the old world (assuming you play on a map that fits the number of players). Someone is bound to feel boxed in.
    I... don't know that I like the sound of that. But I have never used the map at all, so eh, whatever is fine by me I suppose.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I... don't know that I like the sound of that. But I have never used the map at all, so eh, whatever is fine by me I suppose.
    Ramps up early game competition. Or at least it ought to when people realise there's not that much room in the old world. Figured it would be poor form not to mention it before playstart if we end up with that map since not everybody might realise it at first.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

If we want the new world feel, along with not as much competition for land. We could go large size.

Although that'll boost the allowable religions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Ramps up early game competition. Or at least it ought to when people realise there's not that much room in the old world. Figured it would be poor form not to mention it before playstart if we end up with that map since not everybody might realise it at first.
    Well, the thing is that I'm still fairly inexperienced at multiplayer Civ - I've been in only three of these, the first of which I joined halfway through and was already in a hopeless position when I began, and the other two of which are still in earlier stages - and I've tended towards avoiding conflict in single-player, as a holdover from playing Civ 4 single-player and absolutely hating the combat mechanics. So when I hear that, I worry that I might end up playing too passive and get screwed over, if not run over.

But if so, learning experiences I guess. Don't avoid the map when everybody else seems to want it just on my account.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Well, the thing is that I'm still fairly inexperienced at multiplayer Civ - I've been in only three of these, the first of which I joined halfway through and was already in a hopeless position when I began, and the other two of which are still in earlier stages - and I've tended towards avoiding conflict in single-player, as a holdover from playing Civ 4 single-player and absolutely hating the combat mechanics. So when I hear that, I worry that I might end up playing too passive and get screwed over, if not run over.

But if so, learning experiences I guess. Don't avoid the map when everybody else seems to want it just on my account.
    Just think of it as good practice :)

Seriously, it's not like everyone becomes a raging monster, just a little less space to go around since a fairly large landmass isn't accessible until renaissance times. And yes, we could always go for a larger map to offset the limited space, if people feel that's what they want.

6. - Top - End - #36

Just think of it as good practice :)

Seriously, it's not like everyone becomes a raging monster, just a little less space to go around since a fairly large landmass isn't accessible until renaissance times. And yes, we could always go for a larger map to offset the limited space, if people feel that's what they want.
    Right... Because Illven doesn't typically go mad with power with Crossbows. Never....

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    What about Terra? That way we can explore the new world.
    The very first GMR game we did on the forums was on Terra, so it would make for a nice callback.

Should also be noted that the very first game was also the first Multi-player civ experience for a few of the people playing it, and didn't see much early aggression (aside from the Franco-Shoshone border skirmishes, which seemed a big deal at the time but never really amounted to much significant in the end). So it shouldn't be that big of a concern.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    The very first GMR game we did on the forums was on Terra, so it would make for a nice callback.

Should also be noted that the very first game was also the first Multi-player civ experience for a few of the people playing it, and didn't see much early aggression (aside from the Franco-Shoshone border skirmishes, which seemed a big deal at the time but never really amounted to much significant in the end). So it shouldn't be that big of a concern.
    I think we played a map size larger though, but I could be mistaken. And yes, considering I'm also the one who started the very first game it would definitely be a nice callback

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Personally I think the New World ended up being kind of the dullest part of that game, so forcing it into being more important by limiting map size might be a good idea.

I've never had space problems in a multi-player game so it might be more interesting to have some.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, I'm inclined towards more border friction rather than less, but I also feel like we should avoid total-conquest war before a certain date period, so it's not just whoever wins the first war wins the whole game. Keep border skirmishes to border skirmishes.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    Yeah, I'm inclined towards more border friction rather than less, but I also feel like we should avoid total-conquest war before a certain date period, so it's not just whoever wins the first war wins the whole game. Keep border skirmishes to border skirmishes.
    The issue with that is.

A) Discourges civ's with early UU's from putting them to real use.

B) If I take an opponent's city I'm going to have a thorn in my side for the entire game unless I at least cripple them.

C) What if we're forced into where the most efficient option is genocide. That's what happened to me in 13.

12. - Top - End - #42

Assuming Terra, aggressors would be close, but so would allies! Unlike in other map-types, choke points are much less likely, and help should be able to find a way relatively easily.
    And I don't really mind being the target of occassional roflstomp.
    I'm itching to start this already
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-06-30 at 01:27 PM.
    Well that was awkward.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm certainly all for more early-game competition. Nothing more boring than a Civ game that has world peace for almost 6000 years.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

I'm good either way. A completely peaceful game would be a bit dull, but there's almost always some late-game warmongering.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I might have to rethink my usual strategies, but I've got no problem with the Terra world type. I'm not usually one for naval... anything, really, but why not get into it, y'know?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you all haven't started yet, my other games are slow so I'm getting itchy to play a GMR, got room for one more?

Random civ is fine, or "Random" (probably just no Polynesia because Terra and no Venice because Venice.)

17. - Top - End - #47

So a roll of 41. That would put us at 9 players, and thus large. Slightly bigger then normal.

Well let's create the game

18. - Top - End - #48

http://new.multiplayerrobot.com/#Gam...s/86NLCCSMCMJ6

I believe this invite link should work for all of us.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Joined. Maybe it's just that I'm dead tired after a long week, but shouldn't there be a download link for the app somewhere?

20. - Top - End - #50

Joined. Maybe it's just that I'm dead tired after a long week, but shouldn't there be a download link for the app somewhere?
    I don't know, you'll have to ask Thristing about that.

21. - Top - End - #51

http://new.multiplayerrobot.com/#Apps
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

22. - Top - End - #52

Rolled a 14 in Illven's old dice thread, which alphabetically gives England. AFAIK nobody was going for them so I'll take it.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerH2O View Post
    Rolled a 14 in Illven's old dice thread, which alphabetically gives England. AFAIK nobody was going for them so I'll take it.
    But.... But... England is my spirit civ.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Can one of you vets give the down and dirty about what goes on in these here GMRs?

25. - Top - End - #55

I need what time zones you're in, and what times you're typically able to play.

Also who's what civ.

26. - Top - End - #56

Europe, but playing times can vary wildly, so doesn't really matter much where you put me.
    Well that was awkward.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I am the Russians. I'm on most times of the day/night, just to check in. Eastern Time Zone if it matters.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Eastern US time zone, typically play in the evening on weekdays, anytime on Saturdays, morning or afternoon Sundays. Playing Arabia.

29. - Top - End - #59

Venice, GMT. Can play any time for most of the week.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2016-07-02 at 05:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

England, GMT -7, most weekdays it seems I take my turns around 2-3 AM UTC if the converter website is correct.